- CIA produced reports highlighting Cuba’s economic collapse
- Energy sector was portrayed in particularly dire shape
- Trump suggested US raid in Venezuela could cause Cuba to fall
- CIA view was inconclusive on whether economic hardship would mean collapse of the government
World
Exclusive: CIA highlighted Cuba’s grim economy but gave mixed view on government falling
MIAMI/WASHINGTON, Jan 10 (Reuters) – U.S. intelligence has painted a grim picture of Cuba’s economic and political situation, but its assessments offer no clear support for President Donald Trump’s prediction that last weekend’s military action in nearby Venezuela leaves the island nation “ready to fall,” said three people familiar with the confidential assessments.
The CIA’s view is that key sectors of the Cuban economy, such as agriculture and tourism, are severely strained by frequent blackouts, trade sanctions and other problems. The potential loss of oil imports and other support from Venezuela, for decades a key ally, could make governing more difficult for the administration that has ruled Cuba since Fidel Castro led a revolution in 1959.
Sign up here.
But the most recent CIA assessments were inconclusive on whether the worsening economy would destabilize the government, said the people familiar with the intelligence, speaking on the condition of anonymity to share sensitive information.
CUBA ‘READY TO FALL’: TRUMP
These assessments are notable because Trump and other U.S. officials have suggested that shutting off Venezuelan oil to the island after the Caracas operation could topple the government in Havana, a longtime dream of Secretary of State Marco Rubio and some other high-ranking officials in the Trump administration.
“Cuba looks like it is ready to fall,” Trump told reporters on Air Force One on Sunday. “I don’t know if they’re going to hold out, but Cuba now has no income. They got all their income from Venezuela, from the Venezuelan oil.”
The White House, the CIA and the Cuban Ministry of Foreign Affairs did not respond to requests for comment. Reuters could not determine if the CIA had produced an updated assessment since U.S. forces arrested Venezuela’s President Nicolas Maduro last Saturday.
Venezuela is Cuba’s top oil supplier. Since Maduro’s capture, the U.S. has successfully pressed Venezuelan interim President Delcy Rodriguez to send essentially all of Venezuela’s oil to the U.S.
Given the dire assessments of Cuba’s energy situation even when Venezuelan oil was flowing to the island, the impacts of Caracas’ shifting oil flows on Cuba’s economy will be severe, independent analysts say.
ENOUGH PAIN FOR A REVOLUTION?
Cuba’s Communist economy has performed poorly for decades amid rigid state planning and a U.S. embargo.
But a confluence of factors in recent years – including Venezuela’s declining economy and a drop-off in tourism following the COVID-19 outbreak – has compounded Cuba’s pain.
The people who were familiar with the intelligence and spoke to Reuters said the CIA had described Cuba’s economy in very poor terms – although their descriptions differed in degree. One official said the situation described in the assessments was not quite as bad as the “Special Period” of the 1990s, a time of prolonged economic pain following the withdrawal of the Soviet Union’s support in the late 1980s and early 1990s.
One of the officials, however, said blackouts were lasting on average 20 hours a day outside of Havana, which had not occurred previously.
Whether or not economic suffering actually leads to government change is unclear – a reality acknowledged in the CIA assessments.
OUTMIGRATION OF YOUNGER PEOPLE
Two U.S. officials said the U.S. government assessed that there has been a demographic collapse on the island in recent years, with large numbers of people under 50 having migrated from Cuba. That could blunt the push for political reform, which in other countries tends to draw energy from young people.
Cuba’s census estimated the population at over 10 million in 2023, but one of the officials said it likely now stands at less than 9 million.
Richard Feinberg, a professor emeritus at the University of California San Diego who served in high-ranking U.S. national security roles for decades, said economic conditions in Cuba were “certainly very bad.”
He noted that Cuba’s President, Miguel Díaz-Canel, who took office in 2021, does not have the widespread legitimacy enjoyed by former leader Fidel Castro.
“When a population is really hungry, what it does is, your day-to-day is just about survival. You don’t think about politics, all you think about is putting bread on the table for your family,” Feinberg said.
“On the other hand, people can become so desperate that they lose their fear, and they take to the streets.”
Reporting by Gram Slattery in Miami, Humeyra Pamuk and Jonathan Landay in Washington
Editing by Craig Timberg and Rod Nickel
Our Standards: The Thomson Reuters Trust Principles.
Continue Reading
World
Video: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
new video loaded: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
transcript
transcript
Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
President Trump has promised to deploy 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland, seemingly reversing course from his previous statements. NATO allies responded cautiously during a summit on Friday and pushed for greater military self-reliance.
-
“Well, of course I welcome the announcement. Our military commanders are working through all the details, but of course I welcome it. But let’s be clear: The trajectory we are on, which is a stronger Europe and a stronger NATO, making sure we will over time, step by step, be less reliant on one ally only, as we have been for so long, which is the United States.” “Well, it is confusing indeed, and not always easy to navigate. But we need to continue to focus on what we do, and not what everyone else says.”
President Trump has promised to deploy 5,000 U.S. troops to Poland, seemingly reversing course from his previous statements. NATO allies responded cautiously during a summit on Friday and pushed for greater military self-reliance.
By Jorge Mitssunaga
May 22, 2026
World
Mojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei has spent nearly three months in hiding as tensions with the U.S. escalate — a disappearance that counterterrorism analysts say mirrors the final years of al Qaeda mastermind Osama bin Laden.
The comparison comes amid a critical standoff between Washington and Tehran that prompted President Donald Trump to pause a planned strike on May 19. On Wednesday, Trump told reporters he was in “no hurry.”
Khamenei, meanwhile, appeared to share three posts on his official X account on May 18 but remains out of public view.
“For the first time in the history of the Islamic Republic, the United States has done to Tehran what it spent two decades doing to al-Qaeda and ISIS,” counterterrorism expert Dr. Omar Mohammed told Fox News Digital.
THE MISSING MULLAH: IRAN’S ‘SUPREME LEADER’ A NO-SHOW FOR NEGOTIATIONS, THEN HID AS US POUNDED NUKE SITES
Iran’s Supreme Leader Mojtaba Khamenei is shown in a portrait image. (Fox News)
“The U.S. has driven its leader into the same kind of operational invisibility that bin Laden lived in for 10 years in Abbottabad,” he added.
“Both Mojtaba Khamenei and bin Laden inherited their status on the back of an American operation, and both responded the same way: by ceasing to exist publicly,” Mohammed said before adding that bin Laden “stopped releasing dated videos around 2007 and confined himself to audio messages carried by hand.”
Bin Laden founded al-Qaeda in the late 1980s and masterminded the Sept. 11, 2001, terrorist attacks against the United States.
After the U.S. invasion of Afghanistan, bin Laden evaded capture for a decade by hiding inside a fortified compound in Abbottabad, Pakistan.
To avoid Western electronic surveillance, he severed his digital footprint and relied exclusively on a network of physical couriers, said Mohammed, an expert with the Antisemitism Research Initiative at George Washington University’s Program on Extremism.
U.S. intelligence eventually tracked one of those couriers to the compound, culminating in the 2011 Navy SEAL raid that killed the al Qaeda leader.
OPERATION EPIC FURY: HOW AMERICA’S AIR POWER IS CRUSHING IRAN’S TERROR REGIME
Portrait of former al-Qaeda leader Osama bin Laden. Bin Laden was killed in 2011 in a daring SEAL Team 6 raid in Pakistan. (Photo by Stephane Ruet/Sygma via Getty Images)
“Bin Laden survived with no cables out of the Abbottabad compound. Communications were carried by hand by two trusted couriers, the Kuwaiti brothers,” Mohammed said.
“Bin Laden stayed hidden for the rest of his life because the moment he surfaced was the moment he died. Mojtaba’s incentives point the same way. Mojtaba Khamenei won’t emerge,” he said.
“The Abbottabad lesson, which Tehran will have studied closely, is that the safest hiding place is not a cave in Tora Bora but a walled compound in a garrison town,” Mohammed added, recalling how U.S. forces targeted bin Laden in the cave complex before he escaped.
Bin Laden also lived roughly a mile from Pakistan’s top military academy, hiding in plain sight behind high concrete walls and barbed wire, Mohammed noted.
“The logical Iranian equivalents are hardened sites under or alongside IRGC facilities,” Mohammed added, referring to the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps and possible locations where Khamenei could be.
As previously reported by Fox News Digital, one of Khamenei’s few recent communications was an X post declaring a “holy war,” framing the geopolitical clash as a mandatory religious obligation.
INSIDE IRAN’S RULING IDEOLOGY: HOW A ‘HOLY MISSION’ AND MESSIANIC DOCTRINE FUEL REGIME EXTREMISM
President Donald Trump said, “I got him before he got me” after Iran’s Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei and several top leaders were killed in an Israeli strike in Tehran during the U.S.-Israeli military offensive called Operation Epic Fury. (Majid Saeedi/Getty Images; Yuri Gripas/Abaca/Bloomberg via Getty Images)
“This is a religious leader calling for sacred war against America and the Jews from an undisclosed location because his enemies have publicly vowed to kill him on sight,” Mohammed said, describing the narrative as “the bin Laden template, almost line for line.”
Mohammed also suggested Khamenei’s retreat into the shadows marks a watershed moment for Washington and the future of the Iranian regime.
His predecessor and father, Supreme Leader, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, was killed Feb. 28 in a targeted U.S.-Israeli airstrike in Tehran during Operation Epic Fury.
“This regime that for 47 years projected its power through a single visible Supreme Leader at the Friday prayer pulpit can no longer produce that figure on demand,” he said, calling it a “strategic milestone.”
“Predecessors killed by U.S. strikes and successors who cannot show their faces. Real power exercised by a security apparatus rather than by the nominal figurehead.”
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
“Now one side is announcing operations on three continents through its president; the other is governed on paper by a man whose own population is uncertain where he is or what state he is in,” Mohammed said.
“The contrast is also about the optics of leadership during this war,” he added.
World
China ‘won’t win anything’ if it ‘destroys’ Europe’s industry, French minister tells Euronews
France’s Minister for Foreign Trade, Nicolas Forissier, says the European Union must stop being “naive” and shift its mindset when addressing trade imbalances, saying that the approach should encompass all countries weaponising foreign trade.
-
Massachusetts4 minutes agoMassachusetts’ Charming Town Just Outside Worcester Is A Peaceful Escape With A Beautiful Lake And Garden – Islands
-
Minnesota10 minutes agoRenowned Minnesota musician Charlie Parr to make Detroit Lakes debut on June 5 at Historic Holmes Theatre
-
Mississippi16 minutes ago
Why Samantha Ricketts said Mississippi State beat OU for first super regional win
-
Missouri22 minutes ago
Missouri Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 winning numbers for May 22, 2026
-
Montana28 minutes agoMontana Plan hurts Montana business
-
Nebraska34 minutes agoInvasive Species Awareness Week starts Sunday, May 24 – Sandhills Express
-
Nevada40 minutes agoWhat to know before Nevada early voting begins
-
New Hampshire46 minutes agoBest New Hampshire schools for athletes? According to one study, these are top 25