Washington
Washington’s ferry system steers toward less choppy waters | HeraldNet.com
Leaders of Washington State Ferries know their navigation of the nation’s largest public ferry system is frustrating those most reliant upon it.
Riders want stable service at levels they enjoyed before the pandemic. It’s not been possible with a lack of boats and too few workers continuing to cause delays and canceled sailings.
But in a community meeting Monday afternoon, the agency’s top brass sought to convey hope to 200 participants that the collective ship is moving, slowly, in a better direction.
Hiring of new employees is outpacing those retiring or leaving and a process for building five new hybrid-electric vessels is finally launched.
“A year ago we were in crisis. Now, we’re in recovery,” said Steve Nevey, the new assistant secretary for Washington State Ferries. “None of the challenges we face are easy. It’s going to take time to get the system where it needs to be.”
He and a half-dozen other agency executives spent most of the two-hour public meeting Monday answering questions on topics ranging from the building of those hybrid-electric ferries to drivers cutting boarding lines to efforts to restore service on all routes.
One positive sign is cancellations dropped from 1,128 in the first quarter of 2023 to 493 in the same period this year. Two weeks ago, the system went a full week without a canceled sailing due to a lack of crew, which had not happened in months, ferries officials said.
“I know it doesn’t feel like it but help is on the way,” said John Vezina, director of planning, customer and government relations.
The ferry system has 21 car-carrying vessels in its fleet, of which 15 are presently in service on a reduced schedule. Five aging boats are undergoing maintenance and one is in drydock for conversion to hybrid-electric propulsion.
Those five new hybrid-electric boats are critical. Last month, the agency began a search for potential builders as Washington will accept bids from shipyards nationwide for the first time in more than half a century.
As envisioned, bids are due in January with one or more contracts getting awarded in February 2025. To get boats delivered faster, the state is prepared to split the contract between two low bidders so that two shipyards could go to work simultaneously.
This could get two vessels delivered as soon as 2028 – still a full decade since the state last added new ferries to its fleet. Those first two ferries will serve the Clinton/Mukilteo and Seattle/Bremerton routes.
Why those routes? They are shorter and are better set up for charging infrastructure, and to access the requisite utilities, officials said during Monday’s meeting.
As for the cost, Matt von Ruden, who oversees the ferries electrification program, said it is estimated it will take between $230 million and $275 million to build each boat “but the market will determine the cost.” The Legislature has set aside $1.3 billion for the purchase.
With a competitive bidding process anticipated, he said he is confident the final price offer “will be the best cost.”
Some participating in the virtual meeting asked if it would be quicker to build diesel-powered ferries like ones on the water now. The simple answer is “no,” said Nevey.
“We don’t have a design right now. We’d have to start a design from the start,” he said. Lawmakers would need to change the law – the state ferry system is operating under a directive to electrify its fleet – and provide funding, he said.
“It is not faster. Hybrid-electrics is the quickest path to getting new ferries,” he said.
One of the first subjects broached was what more can be done to curb the criminal act of ferry line-cutting by drivers. It is a traffic infraction and can result in a $139 ticket.
But that’s only if a law enforcement officer sees it happen. Ferry employees are not empowered to issue tickets, Vezina said.
“We all know because we’ve all seen it. We are constrained by state law of what we can do,” Vezina said. Hopefully, those who follow the rules can take a deep breath when it happens and “accept there are people who are going to do this.”
Washington State Standard is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Washington State Standard maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Bill Lucia for questions: info@washingtonstatestandard.com. Follow Washington State Standard on Facebook and X.
Washington
Amazing Washington: Young man leaves Afghanistan to start tutoring program in Washington
EDMONDS, Wash. — Ahmad Hilal Abid arrived in Seattle as a teenager, leaving Afghanistan with his family in search of opportunity and safety.
Looking back, he admits that adjusting to life in the United States was not easy.
I immigrated from Afghanistan to Seattle directly back in 2018 when I was just fifteen years old,” Abid said. “Life, in the beginning, was very challenging: coming as a teenager to America, navigating a new culture, a new place.
He said he struggled to learn English.
“I found myself as a guy who could not speak any English,” Abid continued. “A person who was bullied because of my English skills.”
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
Abid remembers multiple instances of his broken English being met with laughter and ridicule. Despite those challenges, Abid said he found freedom in his new home.
“I can practice my faith. I can freely express myself. I can stand by my word, you know?” Abid said. “I can do certain things that I could never do in my past country.”
While he was finding joy in his newfound freedom, Abid had some trouble finding his place. Rather than focus on fitting in, he decided to create opportunities for others who shared similar experiences.
A lot of youngsters around my age want to fit in. But me, I want to create a space for me and my community.” He added, “If we study our history, immigrants from all over the world have come here to call it home. I am an American, but with my own identity, with my own values, so I could never try to fit in.
During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, Abid launched a non-profit called House of Wisdom, which, according to its website, is a program that offers “free, inclusive academic support and culturally responsive mentorship to underserved youth.”
Abid started the non-profit with a small group of students inside his family’s garage. He says he borrowed three-hundred dollars from his dad to purchase tables and chairs. It didn’t take long for twenty students to turn to Abid’s new program for help with math and English homework. Abid says he connects deeply with the students.
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
“We share tutoring, math, English, and helping them with their homework, navigating a life in a new country,” Abid said, sharing that he sees himself in every student who comes into the program.
House of Wisdom has since expanded beyond its original location. It is now holding sessions in four different sites and serves more than 200 students.
“This is a non-profit with over 70 mentors coming and getting paid opportunities.”
In addition to tutoring, the program emphasizes mentorship and emotional support, with a focus on serving refugees, immigrants, and young women whose access to education may have been limited.
“So here, helping empower women and girls, empowering the underserved, empowering refugees and immigrants, means that we are empowering while others are suffering from a lack of education,” said Abid.
Abid said the mission is personal and rooted in his own values.
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
“Helping others is part of my identity, and that’s why I am living. That’s why I wake up in the morning.”
He encourages others to give their time to strengthen their communities.
“If you’re touching someone’s life by volunteering, this is what makes a difference in our community. Even one or two hours, having that will also inspire you to do more in your community.” Reflecting on his journey, he said, “My family was very worried about me. ‘What would he do in America?’ And now, I am an entrepreneur. I am creating opportunities for students who were born and raised in America. That’s where this immigrant came from. I want to say, immigrants: we don’t take jobs, we create jobs.”
Washington
Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state
WASHINGTON STATE — Washington Gov. Bob Ferguson is seeking federal funding to repair and improve damaged infrastructure caused by an atmospheric river event across Washington state in December 2025. The total damage assessment is $182.3 million.
Washington state is applying for the Public Assistance Program, which provides up to 75% reimbursement from the federal government for qualifying repairs. Gov. Ferguson requested around $21 million and submitted Washington state’s request for a disaster declaration back on Jan. 21.
“This is separate than the request we made several weeks ago, that was to assist individuals with their homes,” Ferguson said. “This is for infrastructure, this particular request.”
Gov. Ferguson says that the December flooding was historic and that repairs for the damages caused would require an unprecedented amount of money.
“In terms of damage assessments that we are submitting to FEMA, this historic flooding resulted in, we believe, the largest dollar amount of public infrastructure damage in Washington state in more than four decades, and that’s counting for inflation,” Ferguson said.
Ferguson is requesting up to $173 million from the Trump administration to aid with the preliminary damage amount of $182.3 million, which Ferguson says is subject to change.
“One thing I want to emphasize and underscore is this is a preliminary number,” Ferguson said. “We have to meet a certain deadline for FEMA, so this number will increase as time goes on.”
The state is also applying for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which would help fund projects to prepare for future disasters.
Gov. Ferguson says that the state is also working with the Federal Highway Administration to get funding for repairs to highways in the state.
Washington
Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.
A Detroit man charged in connection with two assaults last year in Washington, D.C. has been sentenced to 60 months in prison with 12 months suspended, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Jerome Parker, 49, pleaded guilty in October 2025 to one count of aggravated assault, one count of assault with significant bodily injury and one count of second-degree theft. After completing his sentence, Parker will be placed on three years’ probation.
“Today we took another criminal, victimizing the most vulnerable members of our community, off the streets,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “This violence against our community committed by Parker, or any criminals like him, against the elderly or innocent will never again be tolerated in the District.”
Federal prosecutors say Parker attacked two people on Aug. 18-19, 2025.
Officials say the first victim, a 66-year-old man, was leaving a Metrobus when Parker punched the man in the face, causing the victim to fall to the ground. Parker then took the man’s wallet, ID, cards and cash. The victim had to undergo surgery to fix a fracture and had his jaw wired shut for several months, according to prosecutors.
Officials say Parker and the victim did not know each other.
Prosecutors say that on the following day, Parker was involved in a verbal altercation with an acquaintance and followed the person to an apartment building, where he punched the second victim, kicking him multiple times. Prosecutors say the second victim suffered a minor brain bleed and was unconscious for over five minutes until responding officers arrived.
Parker was arrested a month later, on Sept. 25.
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Politics7 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics7 days agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown