Washington
Longtime Washington Post columnist Hugh Hewitt quits newspaper
Longtime Washington Post columnist Hugh Hewitt quit the newspaper on Friday, he told Fox News Digital.
Hewitt, a conservative who hosts a nationally syndicated radio show, had been a contributing columnist for the newspaper since 2017 and has written hundreds of pieces.
“I have in fact quit the Post but I was only writing a column for them every six weeks or so,” Hewitt told Fox News Digital, adding he’d recently offered to write another pro-Trump column for the paper ahead of the election. He informed editorial page editor David Shipley on Friday morning.
His last piece was published on Tuesday, where he called on the MAGA movement to evolve if Trump was elected president again. He was a rare pro-Trump voice at the liberal outlet, whose opinion roster and editorial board lean sharply to the left, but his pieces touched on a wide variety of topics.
WASHINGTON POST STAFFER SAYS MORALE IS DOWN, COLLEAGUES THINK MANAGEMENT IS LYING: ‘A LOT OF SAD HERE’
Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt has quit his gig as a Washington Post contributing columnist. (Washington Post)
A clip of Hewitt went viral earlier on Friday when he walked off the Washington Post’s online show the “First Look” with liberal columnists Jonathan Capehart and Ruth Marcus on its “Washington Post Live” platform. It came during a discussion of Trump rhetoric around election integrity.
“Does it seem like Donald Trump is laying the groundwork for contesting the election by complaining that cheating was taking place in Pennsylvania?” Capehart asked Marcus. “By suing Bucks County for alleged irregularities, and this is on top of his continual assertion that if he loses, it’s because of cheating.”
Marcus said Trump had been preparing to blame an election loss on cheating for months.
“No election can be fair in Donald Trump’s mind unless Donald Trump wins it,” Marcus said.
As Marcus went on, Hewitt tried to interject, but Capehart snapped, “Let Ruth finish, Hugh.”
“Well, I’ve just got to say, we’re news people, even though it’s the opinion section,” Hewitt said. “It’s got to be reported. Bucks County was reversed by the court and instructed to open up extra days because they violated the law and told people to go home. So that lawsuit was brought by the Republican National Committee, and it was successful. The Supreme Court ruled that Glenn Youngkin was successful.
JEFF BEZOS ADDRESSES WASHINGTON POST ENDORSEMENT FIASCO, CITES DISTRUST IN MEDIA LED TO ‘PRINCIPLED DECISION’
Republican presidential nominee former President Donald Trump speaks during Turning Point’s United for Change rally on Thursday, Oct. 24, 2024, in Las Vegas. (Madeline Carter/Las Vegas Review-Journal/Tribune News Service via Getty Images)
“We are news people, even though we have opinions, and we have to report the whole story if we bring up part of the story,” Hewitt added. “So, yes, he’s upset about Bucks County, but he was right and he won in court. That’s the story.”
After a brief pause, Capehart said, “I don’t appreciate being lectured about reporting when Hugh, many times, you’ve come here saying lots of things that aren’t based in fact.”
Hewitt stood up and said, “I won’t come back, Jonathan. I’m done. I’m done. This is the most unfair election ad I’ve ever been a part of. You guys are working. That’s fine. I’m done.”
With that, he left, leaving a blank corner of the screen while Capehart went back to Marcus to talk about her column saying the stakes of the election were democracy and “decency.”
But then Marcus’ screen froze, and further technical difficulties derailed the show from there.
Fox News Digital reached out to the Washington Post for comment.
WASHINGTON POST OWNER JEFF BEZOS WANTS MORE CONSERVATIVE OPINION WRITERS AT PAPER: REPORT
Hewitt’s leaving the Post comes on the heels of the decision, at the behest of owner Jeff Bezos, not to endorse a candidate for president this year. The Post’s abdication set off an uproar among staffers and readers, leading to resignations and hundreds of thousands of canceled subscriptions.
Bezos also has reportedly called for having more conservative opinion writers, so Hewitt’s departure is a blow to that goal.
Conservative radio host Hugh Hewitt. (Getty Images)
The Post was set to endorse Kamala Harris – it hasn’t backed a Republican for president since it began regularly offering White House endorsements in 1976 – before Bezos pulled the plug, citing efforts to rebuild trust with readers skeptical of the media.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
Not a regular columnist for the newspaper, Hewitt had written only seven pieces for the Post in 2024 after penning 48 pieces for it alone in 2023.
Washington
Amazing Washington: Young man leaves Afghanistan to start tutoring program in Washington
EDMONDS, Wash. — Ahmad Hilal Abid arrived in Seattle as a teenager, leaving Afghanistan with his family in search of opportunity and safety.
Looking back, he admits that adjusting to life in the United States was not easy.
I immigrated from Afghanistan to Seattle directly back in 2018 when I was just fifteen years old,” Abid said. “Life, in the beginning, was very challenging: coming as a teenager to America, navigating a new culture, a new place.
He said he struggled to learn English.
“I found myself as a guy who could not speak any English,” Abid continued. “A person who was bullied because of my English skills.”
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
Abid remembers multiple instances of his broken English being met with laughter and ridicule. Despite those challenges, Abid said he found freedom in his new home.
“I can practice my faith. I can freely express myself. I can stand by my word, you know?” Abid said. “I can do certain things that I could never do in my past country.”
While he was finding joy in his newfound freedom, Abid had some trouble finding his place. Rather than focus on fitting in, he decided to create opportunities for others who shared similar experiences.
A lot of youngsters around my age want to fit in. But me, I want to create a space for me and my community.” He added, “If we study our history, immigrants from all over the world have come here to call it home. I am an American, but with my own identity, with my own values, so I could never try to fit in.
During the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, Abid launched a non-profit called House of Wisdom, which, according to its website, is a program that offers “free, inclusive academic support and culturally responsive mentorship to underserved youth.”
Abid started the non-profit with a small group of students inside his family’s garage. He says he borrowed three-hundred dollars from his dad to purchase tables and chairs. It didn’t take long for twenty students to turn to Abid’s new program for help with math and English homework. Abid says he connects deeply with the students.
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
“We share tutoring, math, English, and helping them with their homework, navigating a life in a new country,” Abid said, sharing that he sees himself in every student who comes into the program.
House of Wisdom has since expanded beyond its original location. It is now holding sessions in four different sites and serves more than 200 students.
“This is a non-profit with over 70 mentors coming and getting paid opportunities.”
In addition to tutoring, the program emphasizes mentorship and emotional support, with a focus on serving refugees, immigrants, and young women whose access to education may have been limited.
“So here, helping empower women and girls, empowering the underserved, empowering refugees and immigrants, means that we are empowering while others are suffering from a lack of education,” said Abid.
Abid said the mission is personal and rooted in his own values.
An image of students participating in the non-profit called House of Wisdom in Seattle, Washington. (KOMO News)
“Helping others is part of my identity, and that’s why I am living. That’s why I wake up in the morning.”
He encourages others to give their time to strengthen their communities.
“If you’re touching someone’s life by volunteering, this is what makes a difference in our community. Even one or two hours, having that will also inspire you to do more in your community.” Reflecting on his journey, he said, “My family was very worried about me. ‘What would he do in America?’ And now, I am an entrepreneur. I am creating opportunities for students who were born and raised in America. That’s where this immigrant came from. I want to say, immigrants: we don’t take jobs, we create jobs.”
Washington
Gov. Ferguson seeking federal funding for flood damages across Washington state
WASHINGTON STATE — Washington Gov. Bob Ferguson is seeking federal funding to repair and improve damaged infrastructure caused by an atmospheric river event across Washington state in December 2025. The total damage assessment is $182.3 million.
Washington state is applying for the Public Assistance Program, which provides up to 75% reimbursement from the federal government for qualifying repairs. Gov. Ferguson requested around $21 million and submitted Washington state’s request for a disaster declaration back on Jan. 21.
“This is separate than the request we made several weeks ago, that was to assist individuals with their homes,” Ferguson said. “This is for infrastructure, this particular request.”
Gov. Ferguson says that the December flooding was historic and that repairs for the damages caused would require an unprecedented amount of money.
“In terms of damage assessments that we are submitting to FEMA, this historic flooding resulted in, we believe, the largest dollar amount of public infrastructure damage in Washington state in more than four decades, and that’s counting for inflation,” Ferguson said.
Ferguson is requesting up to $173 million from the Trump administration to aid with the preliminary damage amount of $182.3 million, which Ferguson says is subject to change.
“One thing I want to emphasize and underscore is this is a preliminary number,” Ferguson said. “We have to meet a certain deadline for FEMA, so this number will increase as time goes on.”
The state is also applying for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which would help fund projects to prepare for future disasters.
Gov. Ferguson says that the state is also working with the Federal Highway Administration to get funding for repairs to highways in the state.
Washington
Detroit man sentenced to prison in two assault cases in Washington D.C.
A Detroit man charged in connection with two assaults last year in Washington, D.C. has been sentenced to 60 months in prison with 12 months suspended, according to the U.S. Attorney’s Office.
Jerome Parker, 49, pleaded guilty in October 2025 to one count of aggravated assault, one count of assault with significant bodily injury and one count of second-degree theft. After completing his sentence, Parker will be placed on three years’ probation.
“Today we took another criminal, victimizing the most vulnerable members of our community, off the streets,” said U.S. Attorney Jeanine Ferris Pirro. “This violence against our community committed by Parker, or any criminals like him, against the elderly or innocent will never again be tolerated in the District.”
Federal prosecutors say Parker attacked two people on Aug. 18-19, 2025.
Officials say the first victim, a 66-year-old man, was leaving a Metrobus when Parker punched the man in the face, causing the victim to fall to the ground. Parker then took the man’s wallet, ID, cards and cash. The victim had to undergo surgery to fix a fracture and had his jaw wired shut for several months, according to prosecutors.
Officials say Parker and the victim did not know each other.
Prosecutors say that on the following day, Parker was involved in a verbal altercation with an acquaintance and followed the person to an apartment building, where he punched the second victim, kicking him multiple times. Prosecutors say the second victim suffered a minor brain bleed and was unconscious for over five minutes until responding officers arrived.
Parker was arrested a month later, on Sept. 25.
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Politics7 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics7 days agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown