Connect with us

New Mexico

CDC: New Mexico ranks sixth in the country for fatal overdoses

Published

on

CDC: New Mexico ranks sixth in the country for fatal overdoses


New data from the Centers for Disease Control shows just how bad drug addiction is in New Mexico. Every year, on average, more than 1,000 New Mexicans die from drug overdoses.

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — New data from the Centers for Disease Control shows just how bad drug addiction is in New Mexico. Every year, on average, more than 1,000 New Mexicans die from drug overdoses.

It’s a problem that Dr. James Besante, with the Santa Fe Recovery Center, says especially impacts our rural communities.

“Our rural communities are disproportionately hit because there’s an enormous issue that’s growing and few avenues of treatment,” Dr. Besante said.

Advertisement

According to the CDC, New Mexico ranks sixth nationally for the most fatal overdoses. Dr. Besante says it isn’t just an opioid crisis anymore.

“We are somewhere in the fourth wave of this crisis that’s always evolving. Most now consider it a polysubstance overdose crisis. When individuals overdose now, there are multiple substances in their system, often times strong, synthetic opioids accompanied with stimulants like methamphetamines,” he added.

Based on that data, overdoses may not be our state’s only health emergency.

“New Mexico ranks high in many negative health indicators, not just overdoses,” Dr. Besante said.

He added unemployment and poverty levels rurally are among the highest contributing factors to health issues facing our state. That is why he says clinics are vital.

Advertisement

“There’s often times long waits to access care, and that is difficult. Because when someone’s ready for change, it’s important to meet that person where they’re at. And it’s one of the reasons we offer services that are in line with harm reduction principles,” Dr. Besante said.

Our reputation for a lack of resources is also getting national attention. Independent presidential candidate Robert F. Kennedy Jr. is premiering a recovery documentary in Albuquerque this Saturday.

Dr. Besante only hopes our lawmakers can put more resources in our state but especially our rural communities where he’s seen firsthand the difference they make.

“I recently was working with a client who’s now three years into recovery. She just graduated from college, and she’s taking her two children and their entire family on a vacation to Disneyland,” he said.

The documentary “Recovering America” will debut this Saturday at the Kiva Auditorium in Albuquerque. The event starts at 2 p.m. and will have a panel discussion afterward.

Advertisement

If you’d like to learn more about how to attend the premiere in Albuquerque, click here.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

New Mexico

Arvada firefighter robbed while fighting New Mexico blaze

Published

on

Arvada firefighter robbed while fighting New Mexico blaze


DENVER (KDVR) — An Arvada firefighter was robbed while fighting deadly wildfires blazing in New Mexico.

Matthew Ramos was part of a Colorado crew that traveled to help battle the South Fork Fire and Salt Fire, which have burned thousands of acres near Ruidoso, New Mexico, about eight hours south of Denver.

While helping out the community, Ramos’ car was parked outside of a fire station near the burn zone. When he got back, a duffle bag full of gear and some money had been stolen.

“It looks like they broke my car door handle somehow and got in. It’s an older vehicle so it’s not hard to break into,” Ramos told FOX31. “You know, maybe they were in a bad spot and needed it more than I did. But it’s just unfortunate to see really.”

Advertisement

Ramos has returned to Arvada, and said fighting the fire was “traumatizing” and said the full impact of the massive blaze has not set in.

Despite the robbery and traumatizing experience, Ramos said he hopes to return and help fight the fire if his help is needed again.

The Associated Press reports that the blaze killed two people and destroyed hundreds of homes in the past week.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Mexico

FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings

Published

on

FBI seeks suspects in 2 New Mexico wildfires that killed 2 people, damaged hundreds of buildings


APTOPIX New Mexico Wildfires

A charred car and the remains of the Swiss Chalet Hotel are pictured after being destroyed by the South Fork Fire in the mountain village of Ruidoso, N.M. on Saturday. Andres Leighton/Associated Press

RUIDOSO, N.M. — Full-time residents of Ruidoso will be allowed to return to their village Monday morning as federal authorities seek to prosecute whoever started a pair of New Mexico wildfires that killed two people and destroyed or damaged more than 1,400 structures.

The FBI said it is offering a reward of up to $10,000 for information leading to the arrests and convictions of those responsible for the South Fork Fire and Salt Fire in southern New Mexico, which forced thousands to flee.

The federal agency also said it was seeking public assistance in identifying the cause of the fires discovered on June 17 near the village of Ruidoso.

Advertisement

But the notice also pointedly suggested human hands were to blame, saying the reward was for information leading to the arrest and conviction of “the person or persons responsible for starting the fires.

Lincoln County Manager Randall Camp said at a news conference Saturday that “we are approaching a thousand homes lost” in the fires.

President Biden issued a disaster declaration for parts of southern New Mexico on Thursday. The move freed up funding and more resources to help with recovery efforts including temporary housing, low-cost loans to cover uninsured property and other emergency work in Lincoln County and on lands belonging to the Mescalero Apache Tribe.

The National Interagency Fire Center said the South Fork Fire, which reached 26 square miles, was 31% contained Sunday. It said the Salt Fire that has spread over 12 square miles was now 7% contained.

Both fires had been at zero containment Friday. Full containment isn’t expected until July 15, according to fire officials.

Advertisement

More than 1,100 firefighters continued to fight the flames in steep and rocky terrain Sunday.

The South Fork and Salt fires are still burning on both sides of Ruidoso and a threat of flash floods still looms over the village.

Authorities said downed power lines, damaged water, sewer and gas lines plus flooding in burn scars continued to pose risks to firefighters and the public.

New Mexico Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham toured some of the disaster areas Saturday with Federal Emergency Management Agency administrator Deanne Criswell.

Even with federal and state assistance on the table, Ruidoso Mayor Lynn Crawford estimates it could take at least five years for the area to fully recover.

Advertisement

Ruidoso officials said those wanting to return home Monday must bring drinking water and at least a week’s worth of food. They warned residents that homes may be without gas, electricity or water.

« Previous

Prosecutors: Husband used client money to fund ‘Real Housewife’s’ career



Source link

Continue Reading

New Mexico

United pulls out win in 5th clean sheet of season

Published

on

United pulls out win in 5th clean sheet of season


ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (KRQE) – New Mexico United’s defense, and Alex Tambakis, came through yet again. The black and yellow recorded its fifth clean sheet of the year on Saturday night in a 1-0 victory over visiting Colorado Springs.

New Mexico’s defense was tested early and often. While Colorado Springs was able to get a large number of shots off (16 in total), New Mexico never waivered and kept pushing through.

United struggled to find offensive chances in the first half but started to gain momentum in the second. With the game still scoreless in stoppage time, Colorado Springs committed a penalty in the box on Mukwelle Akale to give United a chance to win. Talen Mapels stepped to the spot and sealed the win.

“I am really proud of the grittiness to find a way,” said New Mexico head coach Eric Quill. “I thought our second half was amazing, and then Talen Maples, I’m so proud of him to step up in a moment after last week he could have doubted himself. I am just ecstatic for him because this guys mental fortitude is something special.”

Advertisement

With the win, United now sits three points above second place Sacramento in the western conference. The club now hits the road to San Antonio next Saturday. The next home match will be on Wednesday, July 3.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending