Connect with us

Nevada

Nevada’s Washoe County votes against certifying recount results of 2 local primaries

Published

on

Nevada’s Washoe County votes against certifying recount results of 2 local primaries


Commissioners in Washoe County, Nevada’s second most populous county, refused Tuesday to certify the results of local recounts from two June primaries, an unusual move that may have implications for the presidential race in one of the nation’s battleground states.

The three Republican members on the five-member Washoe County Board of Commissioners voted to reject the results of the recounts in one race for a commission seat and another for a local school board seat. It’s not clear what will happens next.

There’s been no comment from the county elections department, the district attorney’s office or the state attorney general. A request for comment from the secretary of state was not immediately returned.

The rejection of the recounts and questions about how to handle it raised concerns about what might happen in November should a local commission refuse to certify the presidential election results.

Advertisement

Election certification used to be a fairly dry, ministerial event, but since the 2020 elections, it has turned into a pressure point. During the midterm elections two years later, a scenario similar to what’s happening in Washoe County occurred in New Mexico after that state’s primary, when a rural county delayed certification of the results and relented only after the secretary of state appealed to the state’s supreme court.

The Washoe County vote was first reported by KRNV-TV.

The certification standoff is the latest election controversy to roil the county, which includes Reno and its suburbs and has narrowly voted for the Democrat in the last two presidential contests. Conspiracy theories about voting machines and distrust of election administrators have led to harassment and high turnover in the local election office the past four years. They also were on display Tuesday during the commission meeting in downtown Reno.

The public comments were filled by residents who alleged irregularities in the election, demanded a hand-count of ballots and sometimes spouted false claims of stolen elections and a “cabal” within the county.

Against that backdrop, and rapid election staff turnover, the county elections department has also made certain administrative mistakes, like sending mail ballots to voters who had opted out of receiving them and misprinting certain local sample ballots, though none that affect tabulation.

Advertisement

Two of the Republican commissioners, Jeanne Herman and Mike Clark, have consistently voted against certifying results and are supported by the wider movement within the county that promotes election conspiracy theories. Republican Clara Andriola, who that movement has targeted in the primaries, joined them in voting against certification of the recounts, one of which involved the primary race she won.

“There’s a lot of information that has been shared that in my opinion warrants further investigation,” said Andriola, who had not previously voted against certifying results. She referenced several “hiccups” by the elections department and referenced public commenters who raised concerns.

She said she was appreciative of the county elections department but wanted to take the certification results to other governing or judicial bodies. She acknowledged that it is not immediately clear which particular entity that will be.

The commission’s two Democratic members voted against rejecting the recount results, which changed just one vote in each of the two races. The board had previously voted to certify the other races from last month’s primary 3-2, with Andriola voting in favor.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Nevada

Sierra Nevada Red Flag Warnings This Weekend – myMotherLode.com

Published

on

Sierra Nevada Red Flag Warnings This Weekend – myMotherLode.com




Sierra Nevada Red Flag Warnings This Weekend – myMotherLode.com



















Advertisement




















Advertisement


Advertisement

 



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Coyote bitings in Henderson prompt warning from Nevada Department of Wildlife

Published

on

Coyote bitings in Henderson prompt warning from Nevada Department of Wildlife


LAS VEGAS (KTNV) — Following two separate coyote incidents in Henderson over the past week, the Nevada Department of Wildlife is advising increased caution for those in the area.

In the early morning hours of Sunday, July 7 and again Friday, July 12, a coyote bit two separate women walking in Pittman Wash near Green Valley Parkway in Henderson.

Each of the women suffered puncture wounds on their lower leg and sought treatment at area hospitals.

Nevada Department of Wildlife game wardens are investigating both incidents and monitoring coyote activity in the area.

Advertisement

Anyone encountering coyotes exhibiting aggressive behavior while visiting the area is encouraged to notify the department by calling 800-992-3030 or 775-688-1331.

“Coyote attacks are extremely rare and generally involve feeding activity. It is possible these bites are related to protective behavior associated with denning sites,” said Claire Clarke, Urban Wildlife Education Coordinator for the Nevada Department of Wildlife in Southern Nevada.

Clarke recommends that pet owners keep their dogs on a leash and under control when walking along trails.

If you encounter a coyote, NDOW recommends the following:

  • Do not run.
  • Make yourself appear as large as possible.
  • Make loud noises by yelling, blowing a whistle or using another noisemaking device.
  • Throw rocks or other objects in their direction.
  • Stand your ground, but do not corner the animal.
  • Do not feed them.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada’s Democratic Sens. Rosen, Cortez Masto join Ted Cruz’s ‘No Tax on Tips’ bill

Published

on

Nevada’s Democratic Sens. Rosen, Cortez Masto join Ted Cruz’s ‘No Tax on Tips’ bill


Nevada’s two Democratic senators announced their support Friday for a bill that would end federal income taxes on tips, a proposal floated by former president Donald Trump last month in Las Vegas.

Sens. Jacky Rosen and Catherine Cortez Masto joined the “No Tax on Tips Act.” It was introduced in the Senate this week by Republican Sens. Ted Cruz of Texas and Steve Daines of Montana.

“Nevada has a higher percentage of tipped workers than any other state, and getting rid of the federal income tax on tips would deliver immediate financial relief for service and hospitality staff across our state who are working harder than ever while getting squeezed by rising costs,” Sen. Rosen said in a statement.

The bill would allow a deduction in an amount equal to cash tips to be made when filing federal income taxes. Because many employees working for tips likely don’t itemize, it also includes language that the deduction applies for non-itemizers.

Advertisement

Nevada has the nation’s highest concentration of tipped workers in the country, with about 25.8 food industry servers per 1,000 jobs, according to a report from the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

“This legislation is just one part of comprehensive efforts I support to cut taxes for tipped workers and for all hardworking middle-class Nevadans,” Cortez Masto said.

Ted Pappageorge, secretary-treasurer for the Culinary Workers Union in Las Vegas, also praised the bill.

“Culinary Union applauds Senator Rosen, a former Culinary Union member and tipped worker, and Senator Cortez Masto for joining bipartisan legislation to provide relief to hospitality workers in Nevada,” he said in a statement.

Advertisement

After Trump told a Las Vegas crowd that ending federal taxes on tipped wages would be one of his first acts in office, Pappageorge rejected the idea as a campaign stunt.

“Relief is definitely needed for tip earners, but Nevada workers are smart enough to know the difference between real solutions and wild campaign promises from a convicted felon,” he said at the time.

Mark Robison is the state politics reporter for the Reno Gazette Journal, with occasional forays into other topics. Email comments to mrobison@rgj.com or comment on Mark’s Greater Reno Facebook page.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending