Connect with us

Nevada

Nevada prison fight lead to three inmates being killed and nine others injured

Published

on

Nevada prison fight lead to three inmates being killed and nine others injured


Three people have died and nine were injured Tuesday in a deadly fight at a remote Nevada prison.

The injured inmates were transported from Ely State Prison for medical treatment following the violent outbreak. No police officers or prison staff were injured, according to the Nevada Department of Corrections. The prison has been placed under lockdown.

Prisons spokeswoman Teri Vance told the Elko Daily Free Press the fighting “was not a riot.”

Two of the victims were identified as Connor Brown, 22, and Zackaria Luz, 43. Luz, who is part of a white supremacist group, was involved in a previous prison riot and was currently being held on forgery charges, according to KLAS. Brown was in charge on a robbery charge. The third victim hasn’t been publicly named but was also part of a white supremacist group.

Advertisement
Three people were killed and nine hurt in a fight at a Nevada prison this week
Three people were killed and nine hurt in a fight at a Nevada prison this week (AP)

Nevada Gov. Joe Lombardo’s office told the Las Vegas Review-Journal that “today’s incident is under investigation by local and statewide law enforcement agencies.” His office added that the brawl was gang-related.

Ely State Prison is Nevada’s only maximum-security prison, with a maximum capacity of 1,183 inmates, and employs about 400 staff members. It is also home to the state’s death row.

Earlier this year, two inmates died at Ely, bringing the total deaths at Nevada prisons to 21 this year. In July 2023, a 29-year-old man was stabbed at the state prison.

It was also the subject of a hunger strike in 2022 after inmates complained of food portions, conditions of confinement, property issues and disciplinary sanctions. The strike was voluntarily ended after 4 weeks. Prison officials promised to make a clarification on disciplinary action.

Ely, Nevada, is located about 250 miles north of Las Vegas.



Source link

Advertisement

Nevada

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region

Published

on

Nevada Athletics embarking on “Coaches Caravan” across the region


RENO, Nev. (KOLO) – The Wolf Pack are headed on a road trip! A whole group of Nevada coaches, student athletes and staff are hitting the road across Northern Nevada to spread the brand of Wolf Pack athletics.

The trip will span over three days and over a thousand miles across the region, giving them the chance to connect with fans, alumni, and all the communities across Northern Nevada.

“It’s a really fun opportunity to get out in a lot of communities in Northern Nevada that often times come to Reno to support the Wolf Pack,” said head football coach Jeff Choate. “It’s an opportunity for us to get our brand out locally and just interact with some great people.”

The Coaches Caravan kicked off their journey Monday morning in Carson City, gathering at the Nevada State Capitol, greeted by a group of Wolf Pack faithful who were beyond excited to have the opportunity for interaction.

Advertisement

“So much about what college athletics is are bringing communities together. There’s nothing that brings a community together like sports,” said athletic director Stephanie Rempe. “It lets them get to know our coaches and athletes and the things that they’re trying to do to represent the university and the state of Nevada. Getting to know them and meet them makes you care that much more and makes them want to come support and cheer on the Pack!”

The Coaches Caravan continues through Northern Nevada until their final stop on Wednesday afternoon, meeting with thirteen communities around the region in total.

Copyright 2026 KOLO. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Nevada

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful

Published

on

Raiders Nevada Mental Health Gala Greatly Successful


The Las Vegas Raiders have orchestrated many groundbreaking moves this offseason, but none as important as the impact they made at a fundraising event.

Over the weekend, the Raiders hosted the Silver & Black Gala, raising $2.5 million for mental health in Nevada. Sunday marked the third time the organization had hosted the event, which has produced a tremendous turnout.

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders shield logo at midfield at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Several individuals spoke during the event, including Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis and president Sandra Douglass Morgan, who each highlighted the importance of acknowledging mental health.

Advertisement

Davis’ Thoughts

Feb 10, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders owner Mark Davis at a press conference at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “We’re here to raise money for mental health, which is one of the most important things we can all deal with,” Davis said. “Every one of us is impacted by mental health and our families, friends, or anywhere else, we are all directly affected. That’s why it’s so critical to raise money for our community. We’re grateful for you all, and appreciate you being here.”

Morgan’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Apr 24, 2026; Henderson, NV, USA; Las Vegas Raiders president Sandra Douglass Morgan listtens at introductory press conference for quarterback Fernando Mendoza at Intermountain Health Performance Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

Advertisement

“Mental health remains one of the most urgent issues across Nevada,” Morgan said. “Through the Silver & Black Gala, the Raiders Foundation is helping expand access to trusted, community-based resources that meet people where they are. This year’s recipients reflect the depth and complexity of that work, supporting our community in schools, clubhouses, homes, shelters, and family systems statewide.”

The Raiders also honored former player Carl Nassib and NFL broadcaster Jay Glazer on Sunday night as the winners of the Commitment to Excellence award. Here is what each of them had to say.

Advertisement

Glazer’s Thoughts

Feb 6, 2025; New Orleans, LA, USA; Jay Glazer at Fox Sports media day at Ernest N. Morial Convention Center. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “First, this is incredible what the Raiders are doing,” Glazer said. “God blessed me with the ability to communicate, so I’m going to use that to try and help other people. When we’re willing to share our scars, we turn them into strength—into something that connects us as teammates with nothing to hide. That’s what builds a true team, a championship team. I’m proud to stand with you and be part of this team tonight.”

Nassib’s Thoughts

Advertisement

Oct 24, 2021; Paradise, Nevada, USA; Las Vegas Raiders defensive end Carl Nassib (94) reacts after the game against the Philadelphia Eagles Allegiant Stadium. The Raiders defeated the Eagles 33-22. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

  • “It is truly a privilege to be up here,” Nassib said. “We’re creating space for people to be vulnerable—and that work is truly lifesaving. It’s not about being perfect, it’s about showing up and reminding people they’re not alone.”

Overall Thoughts

Advertisement

Jan 4, 2026; Paradise, Nevada, USA; The Las Vegas Raiders helmet logo on the video board at Allegiant Stadium. Mandatory Credit: Kirby Lee-Imagn Images | Kirby Lee-Imagn Images

This has been a tremendous event over the last few years, and the Raiders’ organization has done a great job of raising awareness for mental health. This will be an event that the team will continue to host in the future.

Advertisement

Add us as a preferred source on Google



Source link

Continue Reading

Nevada

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video

Published

on

Nevada workers fear homelessness as housing, jobs vanish before July deadline | Fox News Video


Primm Valley Casino Resorts is shutting down its remaining hotel and casino operations in July as experts point to increased competition, changing travel habits and post-pandemic losses behind the decline.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending