Connect with us

West

LA city councilwoman previously backed by DSA running for mayor in primary challenge to former ally Bass

Published

on

LA city councilwoman previously backed by DSA running for mayor in primary challenge to former ally Bass

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Los Angeles City Council member Nithya Raman entered the race for mayor Saturday, launching a last-minute challenge against incumbent Karen Bass just hours before the filing deadline.

The move by Raman, a progressive representing the city’s 4th District, signals the potential for a high-stakes June primary against a close political ally, though she has not yet qualified for the ballot.

To qualify, candidates must either pay a $300 filing fee and submit at least 500 valid signatures, or submit 1,000 valid signatures without a fee, according to the Los Angeles City Clerk’s office.

Nominating petitions are due by March 4.

Advertisement

SPENCER PRATT SAYS A-LISTERS PRIVATELY CHEER HIS CRITICISM OF CALIFORNIA LEADERSHIP, FEAR CAREER FALLOUT

Los Angeles City Council member Nithya Raman, left, talks with Mayor Karen Bass at Hazeltine Park in Sherman Oaks on Feb. 10, 2024. (Mel Melcon/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

“I love this city so much and I think it needs a fighter. And I think I’ve demonstrated that I can be that fighter,” Raman said at a press conference, according to NBCLA. “And I hope the residents of Los Angeles will see that and cast their votes for me.”

“This is a city of extraordinary possibility, extraordinary,” she added. “But possibility only matters if our leadership is accountable for delivering it, and I’m ready to lead this city with seriousness, with accountability, urgency and ambition that is equal to this moment.”

A total of 40 candidates have filed declarations of intention to run for Los Angeles mayor, including TV personality Spencer Pratt and housing advocate Rae Chen Huang, according to a list from the city clerk’s office.

Advertisement

The door to the Election Division office at the C. Erwin Piper Technical Center on Saturday, Feb. 7, 2026, in Los Angeles. (Christina House/Los Angeles Times via Getty Images)

SPENCER PRATT ENTERS LA MAYOR RACE, ACCUSES CURRENT LEADERSHIP OF ‘CRIMINAL NEGLIGENCE’ OVER FIRE RESPONSE

Raman was previously endorsed by the Democratic Socialists of America Los Angeles chapter during her 2020 campaign, but the group voted to censure her in 2024 over her acceptance of an endorsement from Democrats for Israel–Los Angeles and disagreements related to the war in Gaza.

Los Angeles City Council member Nithya Raman attends National Coming Out Day on Oct. 11, 2024, in Los Angeles. (Vivien Killilea/Getty Images for BabyGay & The Black Cat)

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Advertisement

NBCLA reported that Raman informed Bass of her intent to run against her before the announcement. 

“The last thing Los Angeles needs is a politician who opposed cleaning up homeless encampments and efforts to make our city safer,” said Douglas Herman, Bass’ campaign advisor, in response to Raman’s campaign launch. “Mayor Bass will continue changing L.A. by building on her track record delivering L.A.‘s first sustained decrease in street homelessness, a 60-year low in homicides, and the most aggressive agenda our city has ever seen to make our city more affordable.”

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement

San Francisco, CA

San Francisco forward David Fuchs commits to Clemson out of NCAA transfer portal

Published

on

San Francisco forward David Fuchs commits to Clemson out of NCAA transfer portal


About a month after reports first emerged that he was a target for Clemson in the transfer portal, San Francisco forward David Fuchs has committed to the Tigers. He will join the program, making a big step up in terms of the level of competition.

He figures to be a quality piece for coach Brad Brownell as Clemson looks to bounce back from a season that ended with a first-round NCAA Tournament exit. The Tigers went 24-11 overall and finished fourth in the ACC, but lost to Iowa in an opening-round game in the Big Dance.

Fuchs has the tools to be a force in the frontcourt. He checks in at 6-foot-9, 245 pounds.

Fuchs spent his first two seasons in college playing for Rhode Island. He was basically a full-time starter as a freshman in 2023-24, but he became a contributor off the bench the following year. That, in part, prompted his transfer.

Advertisement

At that point, Fuchs headed to San Francisco. He wasn’t quite a full-time starter, making 19 starts in 29 total appearances this year. But he had a significant impact. He averaged 12.7 points and 7.8 rebounds per game. In addition, he dished out 1.4 assists per contest and occasionally chipped in with the odd block or steal.

As he looks to round out his game with the Tigers, David Fuchs will likely look to continue improving his perimeter shooting. He has seen a year-over-year improvement in his shooting percentage from downtown in each of the last two years.

He finished the 2025-26 season for the Dons, hoisting a career-high 33 attempts. He connected on 10 of them, helping stretch the floor with a 30.3% shooting percentage from beyond the arc.

David Fuchs was really playing his best basketball toward season’s end, too. He averaged 17.0 points and 14.0 rebounds per game in two West Coast Conference tournament games, logging a double-double in each game.

He finished the year with nine double-doubles in total. And he had some monster outings individually.

Advertisement

He hit the 20-point scoring mark six times, including a 30-point outburst in a game against Pacific. He also turned in a 21-point, 13-rebound performance in a game against San Diego.

All in all, Clemson should be getting a pretty good piece to build around with David Fuchs. He has three years of experience under his belt heading into this venture with the Tigers.



Source link

Continue Reading

Denver, CO

Why the Broncos don’t let players wear these 6 jersey numbers

Published

on

Why the Broncos don’t let players wear these 6 jersey numbers


Following the 2026 NFL draft, the Denver Broncos announced jersey numbers for their draft class. More numbers are still to be announced, and those selections could arrive ahead of organized team activities (OTAs) in June.

Players won’t be allowed to choose from six numbers — three numbers are officially retired, and three others are rarely (if ever) given to a new player. 

The Broncos retired No. 7 for legendary quarterback John Elway, and No. 44 was retired for Hall of Fame running back Floyd Little. Denver also retired No. 18 for Frank Tripucka, the first QB in franchise history, but he gave Peyton Manning permission to wear the number from 2012-2015. 

Three numbers are also held back by the team’s equipment staff — Champ Bailey’s No. 24, Von Miller’s No. 58 and the late Demarius Thomas’ No. 88. Bailey gave Adam Jones his blessing to wear No. 24 in 2018, but it hasn’t been worn by any other player besides Jones since Bailey’s retirement. 

Advertisement

Former tight end Nick Vannett wore No. 88 in 2020, but no other players have worn that number in Denver following Thomas’ death in 2021. The Broncos also have not given out No. 58 since Miller was traded in 2021. Miller wore that number in Denver from 2011-’21. 

Clearly, these six numbers have special meaning in Broncos Country.

7: Officially retired (John Elway)

18: Officially retired (Frank Tripucka, nod to Peyton Manning)

24: Not made available (Champ Bailey)

44: Officially retired (Floyd Little)

Advertisement

58: Not made available (Von Miller)

88: Not made available (Demaryius Thomas)

Social: Follow Broncos Wire on Facebook and Twitter/X! Did you know: These 25 celebrities are Broncos fans.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Seattle, WA

Gunfire outside Capitol Hill nightclub leaves 3 men shot, Seattle Police searching for suspects – MyNorthwest.com

Published

on

Gunfire outside Capitol Hill nightclub leaves 3 men shot, Seattle Police searching for suspects – MyNorthwest.com


Three men were shot outside the Cultura nightclub early Monday morning in Capitol Hill, with one victim in critical condition.

At approximately 1:10 a.m., the Seattle Police Department (SPD) responded to reports of a shooting in the 900 block of E. Pike Street, SPD announced.

As officers arrived, they found three men suffering from gunshot wounds. Officers administered medical aid until the Seattle Fire Department (SFD) arrived.

SFD later transported all three victims to Harborview Medical Center, with two in serious condition and the other in critical condition.

Advertisement

Altercation with security leads to Capitol Hill nightclub shooting

The shooting followed an altercation involving three men and the nightclub security. The men were reportedly leaving the scene when at least one suspect pulled out a handgun and fired multiple shots towards the club, which struck the three victims.

SPD noted that investigators are searching for two to three suspects who are believed to have a connection to the shooting, though no suspect descriptions have been released, according to KING 5.

The SPD Gun Violence Reduction Unit is currently investigating the events preceding the shooting.

Traffic was temporarily blocked by emergency vehicles on E. Pike Street, between Broadway and 10th Avenue, as Seattle Police and Seattle Fire were on the scene. The roadway was eventually opened up for traffic.

Anyone with information is asked to call the SPD Violent Crimes Tip Line at (206) 233-5000.

Advertisement






Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending