Hawaii
Space Force Says It May Take 7 Years to Clean Up a Fuel Spill Atop a Sacred Hawaii Volcano
The Space Force says environmental remediation efforts that include returning sacred soil back to a volcano in Hawaii after 700 gallons of fuel spilled at an observatory on the grounds in 2023 could take as long as seven years to complete.
“We’re moving as fast as the process allows us, but we’re doing so with minimal disruption to that environment,” Brig. Gen. Anthony Mastalir, commander of Space Forces Indo-Pacific, told Military.com during an Air and Space Forces Association conference in Colorado last week. “So, that’s kind of key, and sometimes we forget that there’s a balance there.”
A week after Mastalir’s comments, a Space Base Delta 1 spokesperson, who didn’t attribute a name to the statement saying the information came from several groups, confirmed with more details that it could take as long as 2032 for the contamination to be fully cleaned up.
Read Next: Fired Veterans and VA Employees Would Be Reinstated to Federal Jobs Under Senate Proposal
“The estimated time to reach the levels where the contamination will not pose a hazard is three to seven years and will be confirmed with periodic testing throughout that process,” the Space Base Delta 1 spokesperson said.
More than two years ago, on Jan. 29, 2023, a diesel fuel pump for a backup generator at the Maui Space Surveillance Complex located atop the more than 10,000-foot summit of Haleakalā broke, spilling hundreds of gallons of fuel onto the ground. The incident not only harmed trust with the Maui community, it marked the latest in military environmental contamination within Hawaii as a whole.
As cleanup efforts have dragged on for two years and could stretch on for nearly a decade since the original spill, the local Maui community has voiced its concerns — and the Space Force is planning a new project that would expand its footprint on Haleakalā by adding seven more telescopes atop the dormant volcano.
The Maui County Council said in a June 20 resolution that “erecting even more telescopes
on Haleakalā — when the military has yet to complete cleanup and soil-remediation efforts within the same footprint — would be insulting.”
The summit of Haleakalā is considered a sacred place and is often used for religious ceremonies and prayers to the native Hawaiian gods, the council said in its resolution.
Benjamin Silva, a Maui County Council spokesperson, told Military.com on Friday that the June resolution passed unanimously but also added “the council is not scheduled to take further action on the matter.”
The Space Base Delta 1 spokesperson told Military.com that the Hawaii State Department of Health recently approved a plan to remediate the soil from the fuel spill that called for “active bioventing,” a process using blowers to bring air into the ground to break down contaminants.
“Workers will install bioventing wells while the actual bioventing system is being constructed off-site; the bioventing system will be brought to the site when complete,” the spokesperson said. “An electrical system is scheduled for installation in April, paving the way for system start up and testing later that month.”
As the remediation process for the 2023 fuel spill continues, an environmental impact statement is also being drafted for the creation of the Air Force Maui Optical Supercomputing Site Small Telescope Advanced Research Center, nicknamed AMOS-STAR.
The Department of the Air Force, which oversees the Space Force, heard over 600 local Hawaiians testify about their concerns over the project and the disturbance it may cause. The environmental impact statement is set to be made public this year and will include eight weeks of public hearings and comments from the community.
“We work very closely with the mayor, with the council down in Maui, with the governor to be able to explain why these capabilities are not just important to Hawaii, they’re important for national security,” Mastalir told Military.com. “We’ll continue to share that message and work with Maui County and work with local officials to understand where we can find common ground.”
Mastalir added they were ensuring they could “do everything we can to make this, this process, as painless as possible.”
The Space Base Delta 1 spokesperson also added that a new “Maui Council of Environmental Stewardship” is being created that will have members from state government and the community as well as the Air Force leaders “to discuss the issues at various Maui sites.”
It’s unclear what environmental or cultural effects will ultimately be taken into account or whether the dialogue will continue with native Hawaiians as the Department of Defense and President Donald Trump’s Department of Government Efficiency have reportedly planned to cut climate-related programs and have already started to disband programs related to diversity and cultural education within the ranks.
“The [Department of Defense] does not do climate change crap,” Hegseth posted Sunday on X.
Related: Air Force Looks to Add Telescopes on Sacred Hawaii Volcano as Outrage Continues over Fuel Spill
Story Continues
Hawaii
Ways you can protect your family and home during and after hurricane season
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Hawaii’s hurricane season technically ends this weekend, advocates say now is the time to ramp up emergency preparedness efforts for next season.
Honolulu Neighborhood commission chair Larry Veray joined us with what community leaders are doing.
The commission made a it a priority for Year 2026 to educate all neighborhood residents and provide them advice on how to fortify their homes and high rises to minimize the loss of life and property in a severe disaster like extreme hurricanes and wildfires.
“There are over 80,000 wooden homes on Oahu,” said Veray. “With a Category 3-5 hurricane, many houses will lose their roofs and begin to disintegrate with windows and walls followinging.”
Veray also facilitates guest presenters for the Pearl City Neighborhood Board next year and ask Hawaii legislators to facilitate a town hall meeting next year.
Click here for more information on the neighborhood board.
Copyright 2025 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii
Suspect apprehended during Thanksgiving restaurant robbery
HONOLULU (HawaiiNewsNow) – Police responded to an armed robbery call shortly before 10:30 p.m. on Thanksgiving.
According to police, a 36-year-old man entered a closed restaurant at 1910 Ala Moana Blvd. and allegedly pointed what appeared to be a handgun at two employees.
One employee was able to flee, but the second was reportedly assaulted and had her property taken.
Police officers arrived while the suspect was still at the scene and detained him.
The suspect was arrested on suspicion of two counts of first-degree robbery.
Anyone with information is asked to call 911 or CrimeStoppers at 808-955-8300.
Copyright 2025 Hawaii News Now. All rights reserved.
Hawaii
Christopher Fujimoto
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business5 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics2 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Northeast1 week agoCamelot or Cringe?: Meet JFK’s grandson turned congressional candidate for the scrolling generation
-
Ohio4 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Why Democrats are warning about Trump giving illegal orders | CNN Politics