Denver, CO
Larry Zimmer dies: Colorado broadcasting legend, longtime voice of the Broncos was 88
Colorado Sports Hall of Famer and longtime Denver Broncos broadcaster Larry Zimmer died Saturday at the age of 88.
Zimmer had been hospitalized for the week-plus preceding his death, according to a news release from the University of Colorado.
Zimmer’s broadcasting career spanned seven decades. He called Broncos games over the course of 26 years for KOA, first as a color commentator and then as the play-by-play man from 1990 to ’96. He worked 536 Broncos games all told, including four Super Bowls. According to CU, he was involved in broadcasting 50 college football seasons, including 486 CU football games and 525 men’s basketball games.
As news of his death circulated, tributes poured in from across the state.
Current voice of the Broncos Dave Logan told The Post on Sunday he may never have applied for the opening at KOA had Zimmer, handling play-by-play at the time, not called and encouraged him to.
It was part of a decades-long relationship between Logan and Zimmer. Logan, like so many Coloradans, grew up listening to Zimmer on the radio. Then he played at CU and got to know Zimmer before eventually working with him on Broncos broadcasts in the 1990s.
“He was just an excellent broadcaster and even a better person,” said Logan, who visited Zimmer last week and added, “he was sharp as a tack right to the end. He had not lost any of his cognitive abilities. We were talking about games that we did back in the early 1990s and his memory was absolutely fantastic. Just a wonderful person and sad that this day finally arrived.”
Zimmer graduated from the University of Missouri in 1957 and then served two years of active duty in the United States Army.
Zimmer began his work in broadcasting calling high school and Mizzou games before moving to Michigan in the mid-60s and then eventually to Denver to begin working at KOA in 1971.
From there, he cemented himself as a central part of the state’s sports fabric over decades of work.
“There are so many people, myself included, who grew really familiar with Larry’s voice,” Logan said. “It can jog a memory. It’s like hearing your favorite song. You hear that song and it takes you to a certain moment of your life. Play-by-play voices on radio can have a similar effect on people. I distinctly remember listening to Larry and Bob (Martin) driving home from the AFC Championship game at Mile High when the Broncos beat the Raiders and were going to their first Super Bowl. When I would hear those two, it just brings up just great memories.
“Then having a chance to work with him was just really special to me.”
KOA Broncos sideline reporter Susie Wargin said she’d spent part of Sunday corresponding with several other women in the broadcasting industry and marveling at the impact Zimmer had on their respective careers, whether because he hired them at KOA or simply through is support.
“He just championed women in our industry, especially local women, and it was so cool,” Wargin told The Post. “Here’s this iconic guy that is always super supportive. His wife, Brigette, would always give her support, too, and say, ‘Susie, you do a great job at this and at this.’ They just couldn’t have been more positive at all times in anything we were trying to do. That’s just so special.
“When he said things to you, it was genuine. If Larry’s saying it, there’s validity to it.”
Zimmer was inducted into the Colorado Sports Hall of Fame in 2010 and the CU Athletics Hall of Fame in 2012, in addition to the Broadcast Professionals of Colorado Hall of Fame in 2009. Zimmer also served on the Broncos’ Ring of Fame committee for more than 30 years.
“A CU institution,” Buffaloes athletic director Rick George said in a statement. “His voice was synonymous with our athletic program and he was most beloved by our coaches, players and fans. Whether it was calling games on KOA or serving as a master of ceremonies for many of our functions, Larry Zimmer was CU.
“He is truly a part of our overall athletic history. We will miss him Zimm and our thoughts and prayers are with his family.”
Zimmer is survived by his wife of 51 years, Brigitte, son Lawrence III (Linda), daughter Tracey Robb (J.C.) and granddaughter Shannon Robb.
Want more Broncos news? Sign up for the Broncos Insider to get all our NFL analysis.
Denver, CO
Renck: Von Miller will always be a Bronco, even if playing for Denver again unlikely
ASHBURN, VA. – Von Miller knew the answer. But he could not resist asking the question.
A free agent last summer, training camp approaching, Miller had not decided on a new team. Garett Bolles, in attendance at a Von’s Vision event in Colorado, urged his good friend to call the Broncos.
Von had not played in Denver since 2021. Russell Wilson had him on a group text with Chandler Jones in 2022, asking for him to return. Von wisely sidestepped that “disaster of a season,” signing with the Buffalo Bills as Denver added Randy Gregory.
Three years later, there was a new coach and new quarterback. Maybe the remodeling needed an old antique to complete the project.
Von picked up his iPhone and dialed general manager George Paton.
“When Garett brought it up, I was like, ‘Come on, man.’ You have Nik Bonitto and Jonathon Cooper. But I started thinking, ‘You have all these people on the team and there’s not a spot for me? I know there probably won’t be, but let me check and see.’ I talked with George and I already had an idea how it was going to go. And that is exactly what he said.”
There was no room for the 36-year-old Miller, not with backups Jonah Elliss and Dondrea Tillman capable of playing special teams. The conversation with Paton, the man who traded him to the Rams in 2021, was productive, but not for the reason he expected.
“It was more about me taking the steps to get into a front office. He knows I want to be a GM someday (a goal inspired and encouraged by Bills GM Brandon Beane),” Miller told The Post on Friday. “I am still happy I did it. That was this season. What about next year?”
Sitting below the No. 24 name plate — an ode to Champ Bailey and Kobe Bryant — in the Washington Commanders locker room, Von flashed that devilish grin, the one that appeared so often after his franchise-record 110.5 sacks with the Broncos.
Truth be told, he would “love to return” to the Commanders. Would like a “rain check” after a lost season because of a battery of injuries to stars, including quarterback Jayden Daniels. Daniels is why Von chose Washington over the Seahawks.
“Nothing against Sam Darnold, but it was Jayden Daniels. In my opinion, it was the best situation,” Miller said. “They were coming off the NFC Championship Game. And (coach) Dan Quinn had a plan for me as a veteran player. He gets it.”
Of course, nothing has worked out, save for Von delivering as an effective situational rusher. He has five sacks in 11 games. He wants a third Super Bowl ring. But he is also motivated to collect eight more sacks, and have his sons, Valor and Victory, gain a better understanding of what their dad does for a living.
That is why he fully intends to play next season. Get that number, and he will reach 142.5 for his career, ranking sixth all-time.
“Myles Garrett is like 14 sacks behind me, and he came into the league six years after me. I don’t want to make the top 10 and get knocked out,” Miller said. “I want to stay there for 10 or 20 years. So, yeah, I definitely want to play another year, and who knows after that?”
With Washington hosting the Broncos on Sunday night, Miller cannot avoid becoming nostalgic. He never wanted to leave, but knew his time was up after he called a captains meeting with coach Vic Fangio and Paton to discuss turning the season around and aiming for a division title.
“It fell on deaf ears. What I realized later is that we were were so far removed from that. That’s all I knew from playing with Peyton Manning. But we had guys who couldn’t relate. It’s hard to get somebody to miss something they never had,” Miller said. “I was talking about winning a Super Bowl, and they were like, ‘What? We are try to win a single game.’ ”
A few weeks later, Von was shipped out. He was surprised, the news bringing him to tears. He still wonders if he would have played his entire career in Denver if the Broncos had drafted someone like Bo Nix.
“We never had a quarterback for a lot of years. No one special or elite,” Miller said. “And Bo fell in their lap. And you’ve got him with one of the greatest minds in NFL history, Sean Payton. And they have Courtland Sutton, Troy Franklin, and Marvin Mims, and that offensive line is way better than what we had in 2015. This year’s team is special. And if Bo Nix continues to take those leaps.”
Miller catches himself. There he goes again. He cannot help it. When it comes to the Broncos, Von is a fan.
He spent a decade in Denver, morphing into a future Hall of Famer. He made mistakes, grew up before our eyes, became a father — his third child, a daughter named Virtue, is due in January — a leader and a champion.
“I constantly reflect back on those times. The orange and blue, that’s my squad, that’s my city. Broncos Country, those are my fans. I think they are the main reason I miss it,” Miller said. “Anytime I post something on Instagram, they comment, ‘Come back to Denver, we love.’ They are 90 percent of why I still love the Denver Broncos and why I will always root for them.”
Von will always be a Bronco whether he plays for the team or not. He can always sign a one-day contract and retire in Denver before heading to Canton.
Honestly, it is amazing Von is still playing. His legacy is secure.
But this season explains it. There is a fountain pen. Von sits in the front of meetings — “I am that guy now” — taking down every word. He wants to be challenged, even though the easiest thing would be to tip his helmet and walk off into a Broncos orange-colored sunset.
“I take more notes now than I ever did. I date it, put a timestamp on it. Man, I love everything about the sport, the locker room, the training room, the weight room, the film room,” Miller said. “I have been playing football for 26 years. This is my life. If I don’t have to leave, I am not going to.”
Denver, CO
Denver area events for Nov. 28
Denver, CO
Three people injured in Denver in shooting on Broadway
The Denver Police Department is investigating after three people were injured in a shooting late Wednesday night.
According to DPD, officers were called to the scene in the 1100 block of N. Broadway around 10:30 p.m. When they arrived, the officers found two people who had been injured. Both were taken to the hospital for treatment, but officials did not know the extent of their injuries.
A third victim was later found with what authorities said were minor injuries. That person was not taken to the hospital.
Investigators said they are working to develop suspect information.
-
Science7 days agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
World1 week agoPoland to close last Russian consulate over ‘unprecedented act of sabotage’
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Is Trump a lame duck now? | CNN Politics
-
World1 week agoZelenskiy meets Turkish president as word emerges of new US peace push
-
Business4 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
New York1 week agoDriver Who Killed Mother and Daughters Sentenced to 3 to 9 Years
-
World1 week agoUnclear numbers: What we know about Italian military aid to Ukraine
-
Politics1 week agoMamdani keeps Jessica Tisch as NYPD commissioner