Denver, CO
Defending champion Nuggets finish second in West, beating Grizzlies 126-111
MEMPHIS, Tenn. (AP) — Jamal Murray scored 21 points, Nikola Jokic had 15 points and 15 rebounds, and the defending champion Denver Nuggets secured the No. 2 seed in the Western Conference with a 126-111 victory over the Memphis Grizzlies on Sunday.
The Nuggets (57-25) matched a franchise high for wins and finished with the same record as Oklahoma City, but the Thunder took the top spot in the West because of a head-to-head tiebreaker. Minnesota’s loss to Phoenix dropped the Timberwolves into third, one game behind Denver.
Nuggets coach Michael Malone said the key to matching the franchise record was “not being satisfied with last year.”
“To tie the franchise record for wins in a season is outstanding, especially on the heels of winning a championship,” Malone said. “That’s been the mantra all year long. Not being satisfied.”
Denver entered the game in a three-way tie with Minnesota and Oklahoma City. It was the first time such a logjam had existed on the final day of the season with three teams having a chance at the No. 1 seed. The Thunder locked up the top spot by routing Dallas.
The Nuggets will play either the New Orleans Pelicans or the Los Angeles Lakers in a first-round playoff series. The Pelicans host the Lakers in a play-in game on Tuesday night.
“I’m just happy to be done with the regular season,” Malone said. “We have the 2 seed, and we’ll tune in Tuesday night and watch the New Orleans-LA game.”
Christian Braun scored 19 points for the Nuggets and Aaron Gordon added 15.
“We just have an identity now,” said Denver forward Michael Porter Jr., who finished with 12 points, five rebounds and four assists. “It’s been a long time since we’ve stared playing together — our core guys. We’ve developed a chemistry.”
GG Jackson led Memphis with a career-high 44 points. Jake LaRavia finished with 29 points for the Grizzlies, who finished 27-55, 13th in the West. Memphis ended the season on a five-game skid.
Jackson, the 45th pick in last year’s draft, began the season as a two-way player. He signed a multi-year contract in February and eclipsed the 40-point mark in his final game of the season.
“It’s the most adversity I’ve ever had to deal with mentally,” Jackson said of the season. “My entire career with basketball, everything was given and super smooth. … I just had to sharpen up and polish.”
Denver couldn’t build a significant lead in the first half, until a 9-0 run in the latter stages led to a 66-54 halftime advantage. Denver shot 51% in the half, with Murray scoring 19 points.
An 11-2 burst for Denver to open the second half increased the lead to 21, and the Nuggets eased home, with their starters sitting out the fourth quarter.
While key Denver players like Jokic and Murray were listed as questionable before the game, the team’s regular starters all played.
Memphis’ season was derailed by injuries that kept many key players out for extended periods. The Grizzlies dressed only eight players against Denver, the bulk of them on two-way and 10-day contracts. Just last season, Memphis was the No. 2 seed in the West.
“Every season presents something different,” coach Taylor Jenkins said. “Obviously, this presented something no one was expecting.”
___
AP NBA: https://apnews.com/hub/nba
Denver, CO
Family identifies teenage victim of deadly shooting at recreation center in Denver
Family members have identified the teenage victim of the deadly shooting at Denver’s Montbello Recreation Center as 14-year-old Mikail Nasir Khalid Payne, who went by Nasir. According to the family, Nasir was standing up for his older brother in an altercation when the shooting happened.
The shooting happened Thursday night at the Montbello Recreation Center off E. 53rd Ave in northeast Denver. Denver Police say a boy has since been arrested and is being held in custody for investigation of first-degree murder.
Nasir’s uncle, Sareef Aleem, said his two nephews went to the rec center on Thursday night. He said Nasir’s older brother was there when the shooting happened and witnessed it.
“Two kids confronted Hassan, and they put their hands on him, and as soon as Nasir stood up, another kid, a third kid that was on the side, blindsided him, and just shot him,” said Aleem. “It’s very difficult. I got the call late last night, we’re just shocked.”
Police say those involved knew one another, and the victim, Nasir, died at the scene. Police also say it was an isolated incident.
A recreation center is known to be a safe space for many kids after school or during the summer, Nasir’s family says.
“They were created to be a safe place for our kids to go, where they didn’t have to worry about getting shot or assaulted,” said Aleem. “We need to check our kids, check their bags, check their rooms and make sure that they’re taking basketballs to the rec center and not pistols.”
Jolon Clark, Executive Director of Parks and Recreation, said in a statement, “Recreation centers are more than facilities. They are gathering places where community is built, where young people learn and grow and where families come together. They have long been and remain the safest place for our youth to gather, which makes today so much harder.”
Aleem said his nephew, Nasir, was one month away from turning 15. He added that Nasir was respectful, kind, and had an entrepreneurial spirit.
“He used to help his family with their landscaping business on a regular basis. He also used to sell little perfume oils right here in this neighborhood and at the car wash over there. People knew him and respected him,” said Aleem.
“He was well-mannered, courteous, excellent character,” said Imam Abdur-Rahim Ali.
Abdur-Rahim Ali and others gathered at an Islamic Center on Friday, a day of worship for the Islamic community, where Nasir and his family visit often.
“I knew him from coming here for services. He was very intelligent, respectful individual. He came in and made prayer on a frequent basis, and just a respectful youth,” said Abdur-Rahim Ali. “The main day of worship for us is on Fridays, so many people came today, and we told them what happened. Of course, it’s a shock.”
Aleem said in Islamic tradition, family members try to bury their loved ones within 24 hours. As Memorial Day Weekend is just ahead, he added it’s been a burden on the family to take care of before the holiday.
“His family is distraught right now. They’re trying to process what happened. His family just wants everybody to know that he was a good kid, and he didn’t deserve this,” said Aleem. “It’s just a shame that he’s not around to fulfill his dreams.”
The family is also raising money to cover funeral costs.
As the investigation is underway, the Montbello Recreation Center is also closed until further notice.
In a statement from Mayor Mike Johnston, he said, “No statement can capture the grief we feel today. Our hearts are broken. To the family of the victim and the entire Montbello community, know that you have our deepest sympathies and our unwavering support.”
In a statement from the Denver City Council, they said: “The Denver City Council joins Mayor Mike Johnston in extending heartfelt sympathies to the victim’s family, Montbello residents, young people, and the staff at the Montbello Recreation Center following Thursday’s tragic shooting.”
Denver Police are asking anyone with information about the shooting to call 720‑913‑7867.
Denver, CO
Agency releases claim on $5 million of $7.5 million owed for new Broncos stadium
When the Colorado Department of Transportation’s investment arm had the chance to buy the idle Burnham Yard from Union Pacific in early 2021 for $50 million, money was tight.
CDOT turned to the Colorado Office of Economic Development and International Trade for a $7.5 million loan, which, together with a $7.5 million down payment from the High Performance Transportation Enterprise or HPTE, allowed a $35 million commercial bank loan to move forward in May of that year.
The deal was touted as a once-in-a-generation opportunity that would allow Interstate 25 between Colfax and Santa Fe to be widened and straightened. The purchase could improve transit access, including serving as a potential hub for a Front Range Passenger Rail line.
Not only would frustrated commuters gain back the countless hours of time they were losing to a poor road design, but chances were good that CDOT could make money on flipping the land it didn’t need.
Definitely enough to repay OEDIT, Shoshana Lew, CDOT’s executive director at the time, reassured commissioners.
None of that is happening.
CDOT will sell the 58 acres of Burnham Yard to the Denver Broncos, who are looking to build a new stadium on the site, for $45.8 million, less than what it paid.
After a deeper dive, CDOT nixed its original plans for transit improvements and found the land was more contaminated than expected. It also realized that straightening out I-25 was going to cost billions of dollars it didn’t have.
But not all was lost. A $4 billion football stadium and entertainment district will go into the area, with transit upgrades to serve that new use.
And as for the $7.5 million loan that is owed to OEDIT, only $2.5 million will go back into the state’s Strategic Fund, which is used to recruit employers and fund economic development programs across the state.
The fund has about $3.8 million left.
“What we are asking for today is to convert $5 million of the $7.5 million overall loan into a grant to make the rest of the infrastructure commitments that we’ve made happen,” Lisa Kaufmann, strategic adviser to Gov. Jared Polis, told the Economic Development Commission on Thursday morning.
The money would help fund a relocation of the main rail line, improve road access from Interstate 25, and eliminate three at-grade rail crossings.
For the “modest investment” in public infrastructure, the state would get billions of dollars in private investment, Kaufmann said.
And if that weren’t enough to sway the commissioners, Kaufmann reminded them that the reason the Strategic Fund even had the dollars to lend out was that she had lobbied to get $40 million in American Rescue Plan Act funds in there.
That $1.9 trillion federal program included $350 billion to help state and local governments recover from the pandemic.
After going into an executive session, the commissioners approved the request.
Colorado lost jobs last year and is struggling to add residents, an area that the Strategic Fund helps address.
But the state also faces a $1.5 billion shortfall for the upcoming fiscal year, a gap more severe than what it faced in 2021 when it borrowed the $7.5 million from OEDIT.
Want more Broncos news? Sign up for the Broncos Insider to get all our NFL analysis.
Denver, CO
Police investigate shooting at Montbello Recreation Center
DENVER (KDVR) — Police are on the scene of a shooting on Thursday at the Montbello Recreation Center.
The Denver Police Department initially reported the shooting happened in the 15000 block of East 23rd Avenue.
Police said a juvenile was pronounced dead at the scene.
There is no suspect in custody at this time, but officers said they are gathering suspect information.
Anyone with information regarding the incident is asked to contact Metro Denver Crime Stoppers at 720-913-7867.
This is developing news. FOX31 will update.
-
Movie Reviews2 minutes ago‘The Birthday Party’ Review: Hafsia Herzi, Benoît Magimel and Monica Bellucci in Léa Mysius’ Gripping if Uneven Home-Invasion Thriller
-
World14 minutes agoVideo: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
-
Politics26 minutes agoVideo: Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief
-
Health44 minutes agoEili Lilly’s Retatrutide Weight-Loss Results Rival Bariatric Surgery
-
Lifestyle1 hour agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology1 hour agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for
-
World1 hour agoMojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
-
Politics1 hour agoMilitary families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS

