California
California program to lease land under freeways faces scrutiny after major I-10 freeway fire

By JULIE WATSON and AMY TAXIN | Associated Press
LOS ANGELES — The area under an elevated Los Angeles freeway that burned last weekend was a kind of open-air warehouse with businesses storing everything from wood pallets to cardboard boxes to hand sanitizer on lots leased by the state through a little-known program that now is under scrutiny.
The blaze Saturday burned about 100 support columns, forcing the closure of a vital mile-long stretch of Interstate 10 near downtown that is used by hundreds of thousands of people daily. It could take crews working around the clock between three and five weeks to repair the freeway, Gov. Gavin Newsom said.
Newsom said the state would reassess the practice of leasing land under roads to bring in money for mass transportation projects.
Details of that program remain opaque. Newsom’s office directed questions about whether the state has any regular inspection protocols to state transportation officials. The California Department of Transportation, known as Caltrans, did not respond to questions about inspections or provide information about how many properties the state leases.
State Assemblymember Miguel Santiago, who represents part of downtown Los Angeles, said officials should disclose how many sites are leased under the program, the terms of contracts, how much money the program generates and how the state ensures companies comply with the contract requirements.
“Some of those actions could have prevented what we now see happened underneath the 10,” Santiago said.
Apex Development Inc. has leased the land under Interstate 10 since 2008. One condition of Apex’s contract stipulated it not allow flammable or hazardous materials to be stored there.
The fire that spread quickly over 8 acres (3 hectares) was fed by pallets, cars, construction materials and other items being stored under the freeway in an industrial neighborhood. No injuries were reported but at least 16 homeless people living in an encampment there were taken to shelters.
No arrests have been made and Newsom has said investigators are trying to determine if more than one person was involved in what officials said was likely arson.
Prior to the fire, state officials filed a lawsuit against Apex saying the company stopped paying rent last year and owes $78,000.
The lawsuit also says Apex was subleasing to six other companies. That can be legal if the company received permission from state and federal regulators but Apex did not, Newsom said.
Apex has confirmed the litigation but has not answered other questions through a lawyer.
Owners of two of the companies that subleased the property said they had warned of fire danger and other hazards related to homeless people living under the freeway. Luis Cartagena of Eagle Wood Services said he decided to stop using the space for his wood pallet business more than a year ago because he was losing so much to theft.
“Since day one there was a lot of homeless people there, drug dealing, prostitution and there was a lot of theft,” he said. “I couldn’t leave anything.”
Rudy Serafin said he’s been leasing space under I-10 from Apex since 2009. He uses it to store supplies for businesses in the garment district including hangars, boxes and bags. He also stores office supplies including hand sanitizer, which is flammable.
He estimates he lost $800,000. “I don’t know what I am going to do. I am 49 years old. I have no other resources. This is my livelihood. This is what I feed my kids with,” he said.
Serafin said he’s been unable to get insurance for his business because of concerns about homeless people using cooking fires in the area. He said he and other businesses called the city repeatedly to request a cleanup of the encampment. The city removed homeless people from the space once, and then encampments quickly returned, he said.
The city didn’t respond to a request for comment about whether they had received complaints or removed people from the site. Los Angeles Mayor Karen Bass on Monday warned against assumptions that homeless people had started the blaze.
Serafin said he and other contractors received a notice from the state transportation agency in May saying Apex wasn’t paying its rent. Serafin and other business owners then decided to stop paying Apex, but then lost access to their properties. They resumed paying and tried to work directly with Caltrans but the agency’s lawyer said he couldn’t negotiate with them, Serafin said.
Serafin said he signed a contract with Apex back in 2009 but could no longer find it.
The danger of storing flammable materials under elevated interstates has drawn the scrutiny of federal investigators in the past. After a 2017 fire collapsed a section of Interstate 85 in Atlanta, the National Transportation Safety Board criticized the Georgia Department of Transportation’s decision to store construction materials beneath the bridge without assessing the fire risk. The department said it immediately changed storage practices.
California Fire Marshal Daniel Berlant said investigators have identified where Saturday’s fire started and what caused it after sorting through the rubble for evidence, but did not specify what they found. He had no information on a suspect and said investigators are talking to witnesses, including homeless people and nearby business owners.
An estimated 300,000 vehicles use the stretch of freeway daily, which runs east-west across the heart of the metropolis and connects with other major freeways. The city has been urging people to avoid the area, take buses and trains, or work from home.
___
Taxin reported from Orange County, California. Associated Press writers Sophie Austin in Sacramento, California, Christopher Weber and Stefanie Dazio in Los Angeles, Jeff McMurray in Chicago, and Anisha Frizzell in Atlanta contributed to this report.

California
California Gov. Newsom addresses questions on trans athletes in girls’ sports

Watch CBS News
Be the first to know
Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.
California
California teenager cut, scratched in sea lion attack during junior lifeguard trial: Reports
Although sea lions are a common sight in Long Beach, California, attacks are rare, Gonzalo Medina of the Long Beach Fire Department told local outlets.
California teen girl attacked by sea lion
A 15-year-old girl was attacked by a sea lion in Long Beach.
Fox – LA
A 15-year-old was hospitalized with several cuts and scratches after she was attacked by a sea lion in Southern California during her junior lifeguard cadet trial, local media outlets reported.
Phoebe Beltran sustained several cuts on her right arm and had to be hospitalized after she was attacked by the marine animal Sunday in Long Beach, about 24 miles south of Los Angeles, NBC Los Angeles and KTLA5 reported. Long Beach Fire Department Capt. Jack Crabtree told ABC6 that Beltran, a junior lifeguard candidate, was out swimming during tryouts for the junior lifeguard cadet program’s 15-to-17-year-old age group around noon Sunday when the incident occurred. While she has since then been released from the hospital and has even returned to school, she said the encounter has left her shaken.
“I’ve been stung by a sting ray, pinched by crabs, bitten by tiny fish,” Beltran told NBC Los Angeles. “But a sea lion?”
‘Assumed the worst’
Beltran told KTLA5 she was in the water about 25 feet from shore during her junior lifeguard tryout and was in the final leg of her 1,000-yard swim when she suddenly felt an intense pain and “assumed the worst.”
“Out of nowhere, I feel something biting my arm,” Beltran said, per KTLA5. “I saw a shadow of it, and all I’m thinking is, ‘Please, don’t be a shark. Please, don’t take off my arm and please, don’t kill me.’”
Turns out a sea lion had bitten into her right arm, leaving her injured with bite marks and bruises.
“The first bite — I went under, and I just see the shadow, but I couldn’t make out what it was,” Beltran told NBC Los Angeles. “As I came up, I was way too scared to face it head-on. I’m screaming this way as it’s biting me over here and it finally let go.”
Encounter left Phoebe Beltran with bruises, scratches
As Beltran screamed for help, a team of lifeguards and her mother ran to her aid.
“I saw something come up, like a fin, and somebody yelled, ‘Shark,’” Phoebe’s mother Bibi Beltran told KTLA5. “We all rushed to the water and when I realized it was my daughter, that’s when I broke down.”
The attack left the teenager with several bites and scratches on her arm and hand, but fortunately, she escaped grave injuries and did not need advanced treatment, ABC6 said.
Sea lion attacks in Long Beach are virtually unheard of
Gonzalo Medina of the Long Beach Fire Department told NBC Los Angeles she’d never heard or seen anything like this before in her “25 years of service.”
While sea lions are a common sight in Long Beach, attacks are rare. Cases of sea lions sickened by toxic algae blooms have increased across Southern California, but it’s unclear if the animal that attacked Beltran was ill given it scampered away almost immediately, authorities told the media outlet.
Medina said a “potentially aggressive behavior” is “certainly a side effect of the acid” but that “there’s no way to tell.”
“What we do know is the sea lion was very agile, very fast,” Medina added, per NBC Los Angeles.
The Long Beach Fire Department and the Long Beach Fire Department Junior Lifeguard Program did not immediately respond when contacted by USA TODAY.
The California Wildlife Center in late February had advised beachgoers to avoid distressed sea lions in the Malibu area after suspicions that the sea lions were sickened by domoic acid, a toxin deadly to sea mammals, from a recent algal bloom.
“Though we have not confirmed the cause for these animals’ illness, their signs and the recent rains make the situation highly suspicious for domoic acid toxicity,” the center had said in a post on Instagram, warning beachgoers to not interact with the animals on the beach and instead contact their team for help with distressed animals.
Sickened animals may “lunge and bite without warning,” so the public needs to stay away, the Marine Mammal Care Center has warned.
Despite the frightening experience and injuries, Beltran remains undeterred, telling KTLA5 that she’s determined to get back in the water and redo her tryout which was canceled after the attack.
“I love the beach. I love the ocean. I love swimming,” Beltran told the TV station.
Saman Shafiq is a trending news reporter for USA TODAY. Reach her at sshafiq@gannett.com and follow her on X and Instagram @saman_shafiq7.
California
California woman sues Catholic hospital chain over emergency abortion denial

A Eureka woman who nearly bled to death while miscarrying twins last year is suing the Catholic hospital chain that she claims refused her life-saving abortion care.
Anna Nusslock, a chiropractor who sued Providence St. Joseph Hospital Eureka and its parent companies in Humbolt Superior Court on Tuesday, said she hopes the action will force the company’s California hospitals to follow state law.
“The work that we’re doing is going to protect people today and it’s going to help people survive,” she said. “I’m hoping to hold the whole Providence healthcare system accountable.”
The hospital says it already complies with the law.
“The experience described in this lawsuit is deeply saddening and troubling,” a spokesperson for Providence South Division wrote in a statement. “We are fully committed to delivering care in accordance with federal and state law, as well as our mission as a faith-based organization. This includes providing emergency life-saving medical interventions that may result in indirect fetal death.”
The suit builds on a September action filed by California Atty. Gen. Rob Bonta, accusing the hospital of violating the state’s emergency services law.
“There is an existing injunction in the attorney general’s case, but it’s only against the hospital and it is limited just to while the litigation is pending,” said K.M. Bell, senior litigation counsel for reproductive rights and health at the National Women’s Law Center, which brought the lawsuit with Nusslock.
Tuesday’s suit seeks to make the injunction permanent and binding for all St. Joseph hospitals in California.
“I’ve been really surprised at how healing the process has been,” Nusslock said. “We need to be putting pressure on these hospitals.”
Nusslock and her husband had been trying for years for a baby when she got pregnant with twins in late 2023. After her water broke late last February, just 15 weeks into her pregnancy, she rushed to the emergency room fearing the worst.
Yet, despite clear signs Nusslock’s life was in peril and her twins could not survive, the ER’s attending physician told her she was not “sufficiently close to death,” to receive emergency abortion care, according to court papers.
“I remember saying to somebody, ‘But this is California!’” Nusslock recalled. “But it’s a technicality when the only hospital you can have a baby at won’t help you.”
On the advice of the St. Joseph emergency room doctor, a hemorrhaging Nusslock drove herself 12 miles to Mad River Community Hospital where both twins were delivered dead, one spontaneously and the second via an abortion procedure.
“‘If you try to drive [to UCSF], you will hemorrhage and die before you get to a place that can help you,’” the St. Joseph doctor told her, according to the suit.
In December, after Mad River closed its labor and delivery department, another woman sued the Eureka hospital, alleging she was denied similar care during three separate miscarriages.
In the first incident described in her claim, she traveled five and a half hours to San Francisco “in active labor” for help. The second time, she required two units of blood to recover from a preventable hemorrhage. In the third, she alleges she was left to deliver her dead baby into a hospital toilet.
The woman now suffers from post-traumatic stress, anxiety and depression “from being denied care at the only major hospital—and now the only labor & delivery unit—in her county,” the suit said.
“Because Plaintiff desperately wants to have a baby, Providence St. Joseph is certainly the hospital where she will go for her next delivery,” the suit said.
The hospital has denied wrongdoing in court filings.
As American hospitals consolidate, an ever-growing number are now run by Catholic groups. According to the Catholic Hospital Association of the United States, one in seven patients in the U.S. receives care at one of their facilities. More than 15% of American babies are born in Catholic hospital delivery rooms.
After the Supreme Court’s ruling in Dobbs vs. Jackson Women’s Health Organization overturned the right to abortion in the 2022, about two dozen states restricted or outlawed the procedure, about half of them with narrow exceptions for life or death cases.
But Catholic hospitals in many abortion-protective states such as California also deny terminations in cases such as Nusslock’s.
“These refusals of care unfortunately are not new,” Bell said. “But the situation is more dire now post-Dobbs.”
Although St. Joseph’s agreed last fall to provide emergency abortion care, the hospital has since reversed course, seeking to have the state DOJ suit dismissed on the grounds that compliance infringes on its 1st Amendment right to religious freedom.
“SJH could not comply with such an order without forsaking its Catholic identity—the ultimate burden in a religious freedom case,” the motion said.
Bonta said the hospital was flouting the law.
“The stakes of this could not be clearer: having acknowledged that they have, and will continue to, violate a law which requires them to adequately care for patients experiencing life threatening medical emergencies, SJH now asks this Court to condone their conduct by dismissing this action,” the state wrote in opposition to the motion.
The court is set to rule on the issue May 15.
In the meantime, Nusslock said the hospital’s actions have stiffened her resolve.
“It felt cruel and it continues to feel cruel,” Nusslock said. “You’re placing this religious policy over my actual life.”
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
News1 week ago
Washington Bends to RFK Jr.’s ‘MAHA’ Agenda on Measles, Baby Formula and French Fries
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
World1 week ago
At least six people killed in Israeli attacks on southern Syria
-
Technology1 week ago
Trump officials planned a military strike over Signal – with a magazine editor on the line
-
Technology1 week ago
The FBI launched a task force to investigate Tesla attacks
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
Culture1 week ago
Analysing Jamal Musiala’s bizarre corner goal for Germany against Italy