Connect with us

Technology

FCC commissioner wants to investigate Apple over Beeper Mini shutdown

Published

on

FCC commissioner wants to investigate Apple over Beeper Mini shutdown

Republican Commissioner Brendan Carr is calling on the Federal Communications Commission to investigate Apple’s response to Beeper Mini — the app that briefly brought iMessage to Android. During the State of the Net Conference on Monday, Carr said the FCC should look into whether Apple’s move “complies with the FCC’s Part 14 rules” about accommodating users with disabilities.

Beeper Mini launched last year, allowing Android users to gain access to iMessage features, including blue message bubbles and the ability to send high-quality photos and videos. However, Apple quickly blocked Beeper Mini users and continued to shut down attempts to make the app work, leading its developers to eventually just give up.

The FCC’s Part 14 rules lay out requirements that “advanced communications service,” such as iMessage, must follow to ensure they’re accessible. By putting a stop to Beeper Mini, Carr argues Apple may violate the FCC’s rule that says providers “shall not install network features, functions, or capabilities that impede accessibility or usability.” He says that the low contrast on the green bubbles “makes it difficult for people with low vision or difficulty with seeing from picking up those messages.”

“Apple made changes to iMessage to disable the functionality of Beeper Mini,” Carr said. “The FCC should launch an investigation to look at whether Apple’s decision to degrade the Beeper Mini functionality that was being provided, which again, encouraged accessibility and usability, was a step that violated the FCC’s rules.” The Verge reached out to FCC Chairwoman Jessica Rosenworcel to see if the agency plans on investigating but didn’t immediately hear back.

It seems like Carr is concerned about more than just the Beeper Mini debacle, though. He also mentioned Apple’s impact on the augmented and virtual reality spaces and criticized the walled garden Apple puts around its products and services. “I think there are potentially negative consequences if Apple perpetuates a world in which it treats its own proprietary technologies one way and degrades the performance of competitive ones,” Carr said.

Advertisement

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Technology

NBA Twitter’s latest ‘Woj Bomb’ was just an NFT scam

Published

on

NBA Twitter’s latest ‘Woj Bomb’ was just an NFT scam

People who still use NBA Top Shot were the primary targets of a scam tweet posted to ESPN reporter Adrian Wojnarowski’s account on X Saturday evening at about 6:30PM ET. The tweet referred to NBA Top Shot as a “popular” NFT platform, despite the fact that current activity levels are a tiny fraction of what we saw during its peak, and falsely claimed a “free NFT pack is available to all customers.”

The tweet linked visitors to a scam version of the NBA Top Shot website (the link went to a .org address instead of the official site’s .com URL) that could attempt to drain assets from people who give it access to their crypto wallets. About a half hour later, the official Top Shot account posted, saying, “There is NO Free Airdrop happening on NBA Top Shot at this time, Please be careful and always double check links.”

The post was eventually pulled from Wojnarowski’s account after being live for nearly an hour. Because of his reputation for breaking news tweets, many NBA fans have alerts turned on for his posts and could have had account information stolen if they clicked the fraudulent link.

A number of high-profile Twitter / X accounts continue to get compromised. Wojnarowski’s recent NBA news posts have also been syndicated on Threads, however that account was not used for the scam.

However, the latest NBA Top Shot stats from tracking site Cryptoslam.io only show about 8,100 unique sellers and 5,550 unique buyers for the month of January, down from the peak of more than 399,000 buyers in March 2021, so it’s doubtful there are very many people left using it to get scammed by this kind of post.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Technology

Fox News AI Newsletter: Google's woke AI image fail

Published

on

Fox News AI Newsletter: Google's woke AI image fail

Welcome to Fox News’ Artificial Intelligence newsletter with the latest AI technology advancements.

IN TODAY’S NEWSLETTER:

– Google apologizes after new Gemini AI refuses to show pictures, achievements of White people
– AI poised to bolster workplace efficiency and security, Cisco exec says
– Robo-calls no more as federal ruling makes clear statement on annoying practice

Gemini’s senior director of product management at Google has issued an apology after the AI refused to provide images of White people.  (Betul Abali/Anadolu via Getty Images)

RACIAL BIAS: The latest version of Google’s Gemini artificial intelligence (AI) will frequently produce images of Black, Native American and Asian people when prompted – but refuses to do the same White people.

AI BOOST: The rise of artificial intelligence (AI) tools is poised to yield greater workplace efficiency and has the potential to boost security even as bad actors look to exploit those tools.

Advertisement

REVOKE CONSENT: The Federal Communications Commission (FCC) put a final point on its reforms related to automatic or “robocalls” after deciding to ban the use of artificial intelligence (AI) generated voices for marketing calls.

Cisco AI cybersecurity

Cisco’s Jeetu Patel told FOX Business that cybersecurity and software development are areas where AI can help businesses facing a talent shortage. (Omar Marques/SOPA Images/LightRocket via Getty Images / Getty Images)

AI BOOM: Nvidia shares soared after the artificial intelligence powerhouse announced a massive jump in quarterly revenue from a year ago, reassuring investors that its AI edge is alive and well.

GETTING ‘TECH’NICAL: All the hype around generative artificial intelligence since the release of OpenAI’s ChatGPT has companies scrambling to hire talent who knows how to implement and harness the rapidly developing technology.

Nvidia processor AI

Nvidia logo displayed on a phone screen and microchip and are seen in this illustration photo taken in Krakow, Poland on July 19, 2023. (Jakub Porzycki/NurPhoto via Getty Images)

Subscribe now to get the Fox News Artificial Intelligence Newsletter in your inbox.

FOLLOW FOX NEWS ON SOCIAL MEDIA

Facebook
Instagram
YouTube
Twitter
LinkedIn

Advertisement

SIGN UP FOR OUR OTHER NEWSLETTERS

Fox News First
Fox News Opinion
Fox News Lifestyle
Fox News Health

DOWNLOAD OUR APPS

Fox News
Fox Business
Fox Weather
Fox Sports
Tubi

WATCH FOX NEWS ONLINE

Advertisement

Fox News Go

STREAM FOX NATION

Fox Nation

Stay up to date on the latest AI technology advancements and learn about the challenges and opportunities AI presents now and for the future with Fox News here.

Advertisement

Continue Reading

Technology

Google co-founder Sergey Brin sued over a plane crash that killed two pilots last year

Published

on

Google co-founder Sergey Brin sued over a plane crash that killed two pilots last year

Google co-founder Sergey Brin is facing a wrongful death lawsuit from the widow of one of two pilots who died in a plane crash off the coast of California in May 2023. It blames a poorly installed modification for the crash and claims his representatives intentionally slowed recovery efforts to destroy evidence, as previously reported by Bloomberg and Fortune.

An updated complaint filed on February 13th in the Santa Clara County Superior Court of California says Lance Maclean and co-pilot Dean Rushfedlt were contracted to bring Brin’s seaplane from California to Fiji for island-hopping with friends. Ferrying the $8 million, twin-engine Viking Air Twin Otter Series 400 that far required an auxiliary fuel system, which the complaint alleges a mechanic did “from memory” without consulting a checklist or logging it with the FAA.

While flying on the first leg of the flight to Hawaii, the fuel system failed, and the plane crashed into the ocean while trying to return to California. The Coast Guard arrived within 15 minutes but was unable to retrieve either of the pilots from the upside-down and partially submerged aircraft.

Aside from Brin, the lawsuit names Google and Brin’s family investment firm Bayshore Management, as co-owners of the plane, along with those responsible for setting up the flight and the plane’s maintenance.

Following their deaths, the suit says Brin had said he would help with recovery. But then, Brin’s representatives allegedly told Maclean’s widow, Maria Magdalena Olarte, that the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) was preventing them from recovering the bodies — a claim the NOAA denied, according to the complaint.

Advertisement

Olarte is seeking damages for five complaints, including wrongful death and survival negligence, and is demanding a jury trial.

Continue Reading

Trending