Connect with us

Virginia

University of Virginia reaches $9 million settlement with families of 2022 mass shooting. But they say it’s not enough | CNN

Published

on

University of Virginia reaches  million settlement with families of 2022 mass shooting. But they say it’s not enough | CNN




CNN
 — 

The University of Virginia has reached a $9 million settlement with the families of three college football players who were killed in a 2022 mass shooting after a school field trip, school officials and attorneys for the families and victims announced Friday.

Attorneys told CNN in statements on behalf of the victims’ families the settlement does not bring them any closure and strongly urged for the results of the attorney general’s independent review of the shooting to be released.

University spokesperson Brian Coy said a judge in the Albemarle County Circuit Court approved settlement agreements between the university and the estates of football players Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr. and D’Sean Perry.

Advertisement

The three men were killed on November 13, 2022, when a fellow student opened fire on a bus returning to the Charlottesville campus from a class field trip to Washington, D.C. where the class had seen a play.

Two other people, Marlee Morgan and Michael Hollins, were injured by the gunfire. Suspect Christopher Darnell Jones Jr., a former football player, faces three counts of second-degree murder and three counts of using a handgun in the commission of a felony, UVA Police Chief Tim Longo said.

He also faces two counts of malicious wounding, each accompanied by a firearm charge, said Albemarle County prosecutor James Hingeley. The motive behind the killing of three UVA Cavaliers remains a mystery, the university’s president said.

An attorney for the Perry family, Elliott Buckner, told CNN the settlement will be paid by the Commonwealth of Virginia “pursuant to its Division of Risk Management Plan.” The families of Chandler, Davis and Perry will each receive $2 million and $3 million will go to Morgan and Hollins, Buckner said.

In an email to CNN, Coy said both parties reached an agreement “in principle on the terms of the settlement” and said it was approved by Virginia Gov. Glenn Youngkin and Attorney General Jason Miyares before the court’s approval.

Advertisement

University President Jim Ryan and Rector Robert Hardie said in a statement: “Since November 13, 2022, the families of Devin Chandler, Lavel Davis Jr., and D’Sean Perry—whose lives were tragically cut short—have been ever present in our minds.”

“We will forever remember the impact that Devin, Lavel, and D’Sean had on our community, and we are grateful for the moments they spent in our presence uplifting UVA through their time in the classroom and on the football field,” they said.

CNN reached out to the attorney general and the governor for comment.

Kimberly Wald, a lawyer for The Perry, Hollins and Morgan families, told CNN the court finalized the $9 million “global settlement in this case” with the families of the three students who were killed and the two who were injured.

Wald said the results of the independent investigation into the shooting, launched by Miyares, have not been released.

Advertisement

Families demand release of external probe

Miyares announced days after the tragedy he would begin an independent review at the request of Ryan and then-rector Whitt Clement of the university’s response to the shooting, as well as the efforts it undertook in the period before it.

The attorney for the victims’ families said they are “demanding the release of the information to understand what happened and why it happened and then initiate reforms across the U.S. at college campuses to save lives.”

Victoria LaCivita, Miyares’ spokesperson, previously said the AG’s office will enlist special counsel to assist in completing the work.

“A public report will be shared with students, families, the larger UVA community, and government officials at the appropriate time,” LaCivita said. “The Attorney General will work with deliberate speed while ensuring that all necessary resources remain devoted to the criminal investigation being conducted by state and local authorities.”

Perry attorney Buckner echoed Wald regarding the independent review, telling CNN the settlements approved by the court “do not bring the families any closure.”

Advertisement

“The families still do not have all of the facts about what happened to their sons. It is time for UVA and the Commonwealth to release the Report. The families deserve to know what happened,” Buckner said.

The suspect was denied bail during a hearing in a few days after the shooting that revealed he was charged and convicted of a reckless driving and hit-and-run in 2021 and had a concealed weapons charge the same year. He received suspended sentences for all the offenses.

Jones bought two guns, a semiautomatic rifle and a pistol, in separate purchases in 2022, according to the owner of Dance’s Sporting Goods in Colonial Heights, CNN previously reported.

But Jones also had twice unsuccessfully to buy a firearm there, Marlon Dance told CNN in an email. In 2018, he was younger than the legal age of 21 to buy a handgun and was denied a purchase. Three years later he tried to buy a rifle, but failed a background check, according to Dance.

In an email to CNN, Virginia State Police Spokesperson Corinne Geller said an investigation into the attempted purchase on July 8, 2021, revealed the state police firearms transaction center denied Jones’ request based on an ongoing legal matter.

Advertisement

CNN’s Joe Johns, Aileen Graef, Amir Vera and Holly Yan contributed to this report.



Source link

Virginia

Virginia Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 Night results for May 22, 2026

Published

on

Virginia Lottery Mega Millions, Pick 3 Night results for May 22, 2026


play

The Virginia Lottery offers multiple draw games for those aiming to win big.

Advertisement

Here’s a look at May 22, 2026, results for each game:

Mega Millions

Mega Millions drawings take place every week on Tuesday and Friday at 11 p.m.

03-22-34-54-61, Mega Ball: 08

Check Mega Millions payouts and previous drawings here.

Pick 3

DAY drawing at 1:59 p.m. NIGHT drawing at 11 p.m. each day.

Advertisement

Night: 7-9-7, FB: 0

Day: 2-6-7, FB: 0

Check Pick 3 payouts and previous drawings here.

Pick 4

DAY drawing at 1:59 p.m. NIGHT drawing at 11 p.m. each day.

Night: 9-8-4-3, FB: 3

Advertisement

Day: 4-8-7-2, FB: 7

Check Pick 4 payouts and previous drawings here.

Pick 5

DAY drawing at 1:59 p.m. NIGHT drawing at 11 p.m. each day.

Night: 0-2-0-7-1, FB: 4

Day: 8-6-6-6-6, FB: 8

Advertisement

Check Pick 5 payouts and previous drawings here.

Cash Pop

Drawing times: Coffee Break 9 a.m.; Lunch Break 12 p.m.; Rush Hour 5 p.m.; Prime Time 9 p.m.; After Hours 11:59 p.m.

Coffee Break: 15

After Hours: 09

Prime Time: 15

Advertisement

Rush Hour: 13

Lunch Break: 01

Check Cash Pop payouts and previous drawings here.

Cash 5

Drawing every day at 11 p.m.

15-29-30-34-36

Advertisement

Check Cash 5 payouts and previous drawings here.

Millionaire for Life

Drawing everyday at 11:15 p.m.

17-33-36-54-57, Bonus: 01

Check Millionaire for Life payouts and previous drawings here.

Feeling lucky? Explore the latest lottery news & results

Advertisement

This results page was generated automatically using information from TinBu and a template written and reviewed by a Center for Community Journalism (CCJ) editor. You can send feedback using this form.



Source link

Continue Reading

Virginia

Cops desperately search for Virginia girl who went missing with convicted sex offender — after he got sweetheart plea deal

Published

on

Cops desperately search for Virginia girl who went missing with convicted sex offender — after he got sweetheart plea deal


Police are desperately hunting for a missing teenage girl who is believed to be travelling with a convicted sex offender more than 20 years her senior, according to reports.

Autumn Van Zandt, 17, hasn’t been seen since Tuesday when she was spotted in Fredericksburg with 39-year-old Ronnie Keene Reel, and police suspect they may try to travel out of state.

Van Zandt is believed to be “missing under voluntary circumstances,” police said, but her young age and suspected company have left family terrified.

Autumn Van Zandt, 17, has not been seen since Tuesday when she was spotted in Fredericksburg with 39-year-old Ronnie Keene Reel. Fredericksburg Police Department

The age of consent in Virginia is 18.

Advertisement

Reel has a terrifying history of sexual violence — he confessed to sexually abusing an 11-year-old boy in 2021.

But he was cut loose on a plea deal after prosecutors with Fairfax County Commonwealth Attorney Steve Descano’s office failed to meet crucial evidence deadlines in his case, ABC 7 reported.


Headshot of Ronnie Keene Reel, a Black man with a shaved head and a beard, looking directly at the camera.
Autumn Van Zandt is believed to be travelling with convicted sex offender Ronnie Keene Reel, who is more than 20 years her senior. Fredericksburg Police Department

“Please help us find Autumn,” the Fredericksburg Police Department said in a statement posted to Facebook.

Van Zandt is five-foot, seven-inches, about 135 pounds and has brown eyes and hair.

She also has a heart tattoo on her hip, and was last seen in jean shorts and a black top.

The family of Reed’s 2021 victim said they were “heartbroken” by reports that he might be preying on another child.

Advertisement

“I am praying for the family, and I hope to God she comes home,” the mother said. “I just pray to God you find your little girl because she deserves nothing more than a home in her family’s arms.”

She also accused prosecutors who handled her family’s case in 2021 of being to blame for the current situation with Reel.

“We had everything in line,” she said. “He was looking at life in prison for what he did to him, and with one simple mistake of failing to file paperwork, he was let go.”

“He only got an assault battery charge, that’s it, nothing more. He didn’t have to register as a sex offender. He doesn’t have to do anything. And look what’s happening now. He walks free, and my child did not get any justice whatsoever,” she said.

The judge handling Reel’s case at the time agreed, court documents obtained by ABC 7 showed.

Advertisement

“It’s very frustrating to the Court,” Fairfax County Chief Judge Penney Azcarate said at the time, adding that evidence deadlines were “woefully, woefully missed in this case.”

The Fairfax County Commonwealth’s Attorney’s office could not be reached for comment at the time of publication.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Virginia

Virginia measles dashboard launched amid outbreak

Published

on

Virginia measles dashboard launched amid outbreak


The Virginia Department of Health (VDH) launched a new measles dashboard amid an uptick in measles cases and an outbreak in Buckingham County.

The dashboard shows key information to help Virginians see measles trends, understand the impact and know their risk of exposure as measles cases increase nationally and across the commonwealth, VDH said in a press release.

“It’s important for Virginians to know what is happening in their communities in real time,” said State Health Commissioner Dr. Cameron Webb. “This dashboard is our commitment to being as transparent as possible about the impact of measles across the Commonwealth. When people have clear, accessible information, they can make informed decisions to protect themselves and their families.”

Advertisement

How many measles cases are there in Virginia?

The dashboard shows how many measles cases, hospitalizations and deaths have been reported. You can also see case numbers by age, health district and other key factors. Updates will be posted Tuesdays and Thursdays around noon, said VDH.

To date in 2026, VDH has reported 40 cases of measles, with 13% of the cases requiring hospitalization. As of May 21, there are no reported deaths, according to the measles dashboard. Eighty-three percent of the cases are unvaccinated individuals.

Of those cases, 17 are related to an outbreak in Buckingham County. A measles outbreak is defined as three or more related cases among members of different households. The number of cases this year has quickly outpaced the five reported cases from last year.

Measles activity in the U.S., including Virginia, is rising due to increased travel-related exposures, both international and domestic, and declining national vaccination rates. Children younger than 12 months of age and others who are not vaccinated are very susceptible to infection if they are exposed to someone with measles, said VDH.

Advertisement

Protection against the measles, outbreak recommendations

The measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) vaccine is the best protection against measles, advised VDH. Two doses of MMR vaccine are about 97% effective at preventing measles; one dose is about 93% effective. If you or a loved one are not up-to-date with routine MMR vaccines, contact your healthcare provider or call your local health department to schedule a vaccine appointment today.

People who live in or visit the Buckingham County area should talk with their healthcare provider about outbreak vaccine recommendations. This includes considering an early MMR dose for infants older than six months to provide protection while measles is circulating in the community.

Measles is highly contagious and can spread to others through coughing and sneezing. Most people in Virginia have immunity to measles through vaccination or previous infection with measles. Approximately 95% of kindergarteners in Virginia are fully vaccinated against measles. However, some communities within Virginia could have lower vaccination rates, making them more at risk to measles outbreaks. Fortunately, VDH said, an increasing number of people are seeking to confirm their MMR vaccine status following Virginia measles exposure events.

For more information about measles, visit www.vdh.virginia.gov/measles. For additional questions, contact VDH’s Call Center at 877-829-4682 (option 2, then option 3 “other”), The VDH Call Center is available Monday–Friday (except holidays) from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Advertisement

Monique Calello is a reporter at The News Leader in Staunton covering health in the Shenandoah Valley and in Virginia. Connect with her at mcalello@newsleader.com.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending