Connect with us

South-Carolina

Ralph Norman criticizes South Carolina Senate over proposal to raise lawmakers’ pay

Published

on

Ralph Norman criticizes South Carolina Senate over proposal to raise lawmakers’ pay


U.S Rep. Ralph Norman, a Republican candidate for governor, criticized members of the South Carolina Senate on Tuesday after a subcommittee advanced a bill that would significantly increase lawmakers’ salaries.

The proposal, Senate Bill 933, would raise legislators’ annual compensation from $22,400 to $47,500, up from the current structure of $10,400 in base pay and $1,000 per month for district expenses. The measure would also allow automatic pay increases every two years after House elections, tied to inflation but capped at 5%.

Norman, who announced his gubernatorial campaign earlier this year, said the pay proposal is disconnected from the financial pressures facing South Carolinians. In a statement, he called for greater accountability and opposed automatic raises for legislators.

“No legislator in Columbia deserves a pay raise,” Norman said. “This is irresponsible and a waste of taxpayer dollars! I am running for governor to Clean Up Columbia and get rid of the waste, fraud, and abuse, and we must begin by stopping these reckless pay raise schemes that are getting little to no attention! Taxpayers deserve transparency and accountability!”

Advertisement

READ MORE | Rep. Ralph Norman files for governor

This stance is nothing new for Norman, who, in his campaign announcement, referred to sitting lawmakers as “crooks who use taxpayer dollars for their own benefit,” a message the representative from South Carolina’s 5th Congressional District has steadfastly committed to.

Supporters of the bill say higher compensation is necessary to reflect inflation and to broaden who can serve in the General Assembly, arguing that current compensation limits participation to those who are retired, independently wealthy or able to maintain outside employment and discourages individuals from diverse economic backgrounds from serving.

Under the proposal, the $47,500 annual compensation would cover both salary and district-related expenses, resulting in a raise of about $25,100 for lawmakers. The committee also voted to adjust how retirement benefits would be calculated under the new compensation structure to avoid unintended consequences.

The legislation follows a failed attempt last year to increase lawmakers’ in-district pay through the state budget. The South Carolina Supreme Court struck down that increase on the basis that lawmakers could not raise their own pay mid-term. The court’s ruling eliminated all in-district compensation because of the way the provision was written. Lawmakers later restored the $1,000 monthly in-district payment for the current fiscal year.

Advertisement

Norman has linked the state debate to a separate lawsuit filed by several current and former members of Congress, including U.S. Rep. James Clyburn, DS.C., seeking retroactive pay increases. Norman warned that a successful outcome could lead to additional taxpayer-funded compensation, though the case is unrelated to the state legislation.

Norman, first elected to Congress in 2016, is one of several Republicans expected to compete in South Carolina’s 2026 gubernatorial race.



Source link

South-Carolina

Trump says he’s sending 5,000 more troops to Poland

Published

on

Trump says he’s sending 5,000 more troops to Poland


WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Thursday said the U.S. will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, stirring confusion following weeks of changing statements from Trump and his administration about reducing — not increasing — the American military footprint in Europe.

The Trump administration has said it was reducing levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and U.S. officials confirmed about 4,000 service members were no longer deploying to Poland. Trump’s social media announcement raises more uncertainty for European allies that have been blindsided by the changes as the administration has complained about NATO members not shouldering enough of the burden of their own defense and failing to do more to support the Iran war.

“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said on Truth Social.

Trump and the Pentagon have said in recent weeks that they were drawing down at least 5,000 troops in Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the U.S. was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of strategy in the war.

Advertisement

Trump then told reporters at the beginning of the month that the U.S. would be “cutting a lot further than 5,000.”

As of last week, some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer en route to Poland. The Associated Press reported that the canceled deployment was part of an effort to comply with Trump’s order to reduce the number of troops in Europe. A deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range missiles also was halted.

Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike criticized the reductions as sending the wrong signal both to allies and Russian President Vladimir Putin during the 4-year-old war in Ukraine.

Republican Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska said during a congressional hearing that he spoke with Polish officials and they were “blindsided.” He called the decision “reprehensible” and said it was “an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland.”

Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Tuesday that it was “a temporary delay” of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which he called a “model U.S. ally.” He said it was a result of the U.S. reducing the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three and indicated the Pentagon still needed to decide which troops to station where.

Advertisement

It was not clear whether that meant the brigade would resume its deployment to Poland, if additional troops on top of that rotational deployment could be added, or whether there would still be a drawdown of U.S. troops in Europe but from a different country. The Pentagon referred requests for comment to the White House, which did not immediately respond to messages seeking clarity.

Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Defense Undersecretary Elbridge Colby both spoke with with their Polish counterparts this week. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk had said Wednesday that he was happy to hear “Washington’s declaration that Poland will be treated as it deserves.”

As of Tuesday, U.S. Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, commander of both American and NATO forces in Europe, told reporters in Brussels that “it will be 5,000 troops coming out of Europe.”

Trump’s announcement came as Secretary of State Marco Rubio was on his way to Sweden to meet with his NATO counterparts, who have been questioning the Trump administration’s policies on reduced U.S. troop levels in Europe.

“There seems to be no process to deliberating policies like troop withdrawals and deployments at the top,” said Ian Kelly, a retired career diplomat who served as U.S. ambassador to Georgia during the Obama and first Trump administrations and now teaches international relations at Northwestern University in Illinois.

Advertisement

Kelly said Rubio may have a tough time in explaining Trump’s wild swings to Europeans who are craving certainty and consistency even if they might disagree.

“These are not well thought out decisions,” Kelly said. “These are impulsive decisions based on Trump’s whims or what his advisors think are Trump’s whims.”

Copyright 2026 NPR





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Former deputy accused of DUI

Published

on

Former deputy accused of DUI


A former Richland County deputy is accused of driving under the influence, according to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department.

Authorities say the South Carolina Highway Patrol stopped a gray Toyota pickup truck around 10:08 p.m. Wednesday on Bluff Road for a traffic violation.

Troopers identified the driver as 35-year-old Spencer Matthew Link and determined he was believed to be under the influence of alcohol, according to authorities.

Link, who was off duty and driving his personal vehicle at the time, was arrested and booked into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.

Advertisement

According to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, Link was immediately suspended without pay following the arrest and is no longer employed with the agency.

Link had been employed there since May 2024, according to RCSD.



Source link

Continue Reading

South-Carolina

Judge denies request to pause South Carolina redistricting debate

Published

on

Judge denies request to pause South Carolina redistricting debate


Enter your email and we’ll send a secure one-click link to sign in.

WSPA 7NEWS is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.

Learn more at nexstar.tv/privacy-policy.

Advertisement

WSPA 7NEWS is provided by Nexstar Media Group, Inc., and uses the My Nexstar sign-in, which works across our media network.

Nexstar Media Group, Inc. is a leading, diversified media company that produces and distributes engaging local and national news, sports, and entertainment content across its television and digital platforms. The My Nexstar sign-in works across the Nexstar network—including The CW, NewsNation, The Hill, and more. Learn more at nexstar.tv/privacy-policy.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending