South-Carolina
McMaster backs Evette to replace him as South Carolina governor
COLUMBIA, S.C. (AP) – South Carolina Gov. Henry McMaster is endorsing Lt. Gov. Pamela Evette’s bid to succeed him in office, an attempt to clear the field in the crowded Republican primary that could pave the way for a coveted endorsement from President Donald Trump.
Evette’s campaign shared with The Associated Press a video message from McMaster that will be released Thursday, when they’re scheduled to appear together in Columbia.
McMaster said Evette has been his partner in making South Carolina “the best place to live, work and raise a family.”
“With Pamela Evette as our next governor, we’ll keep winning,” he added.
Evette is competing for the nomination against Rep. Nancy Mace, Rep. Ralph Norman and state Attorney General Alan Wilson. In the deep red state, the competition for the president’s support has been the most intense part of the race, but McMaster’s endorsement suggests Evette may have the inside track.
McMaster has been close to Trump for years, and they’re nearly always aligned in backing the same candidates. As South Carolina’s lieutenant governor in 2016, McMaster became the first statewide elected official in the country to endorse Trump at a time when the party’s establishment was still hesitant to embrace the New York businessman and reality television star.
The wager paid off when Trump chose Nikki Haley, then South Carolina’s governor, to be his ambassador to the United Nations, allowing McMaster to ascend to the state’s top position.
The relationship helped cement Trump’s political influence in South Carolina, where he helped oust a five-term Republican congressman who crossed him in 2022 and then trounced Haley in the state’s presidential primary in 2024.
Evette said Wednesday in an extensive interview with the AP that McMaster’s endorsement was “a clear sign” that she could continue his success. She also said she’d “been loyal to the president since day one.”
“He remembers who was loyal, and who was with him when it wasn’t easy to be with him,” she said. “There’s a lot of communication. We have a lot of tentacles that tie us together.”
Evette, who visited the White House last year and plans to return next month, called Trump’s endorsement “extremely important” to the governor’s race, which she said “becomes a mountain that’s a lot harder to climb” without it.
Trump hasn’t endorsed a candidate in the race, and it’s unclear if or when he will.
Using the motto “Keep South Carolina Great,” akin to Trump’s “Make America Great Again” mantra, Evette has made the president a focal point. A businesswoman new to politics when she ran alongside McMaster in 2018, Evette has touted her “unwavering support” for Trump, and a banner image atop her campaign releases features a photo of her posing with Trump and McMaster.
Evette has also hired a campaign team that includes one of Trump’s top lieutenants, his longtime pollster Tony Fabrizio. A $1 million multimedia buy last year featured a video snippet of Trump praising Evette as she stumped for him in 2024.
Other candidates are trying similar approaches.
Mace described herself as “Trump in high heels” and has pointed out the president’s favorable social media posts about her.
Wilson has played up his support for Trump from both his campaign and government office.
Norman, a member of the House Freedom Caucus and one of the chamber’s most conservative members, backed Trump during his first term but endorsed Haley in 2024. He was at the White House for Trump’s event honoring Purple Heart recipients last summer.
South Carolina’s primary elections are June 9, with a runoff two weeks later if needed. In 2018, Trump made a last-minute trip to stump with McMaster, helping him secure a runoff win en route to his first full term.
The filing deadline for gubernatorial candidates is still more than a month away, so it’s still possible that the field isn’t completely set. Two Democrats have announced their campaigns, but Republicans hold all statewide-elected positions in South Carolina and have won the governor’s office for the past two decades.
Copyright 2026 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.
South-Carolina
Federal judge dismisses criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego Garcia
A federal judge in Tennessee on Friday dismissed criminal charges against Kilmar Abrego García, an immigrant who was wrongfully deported to El Salvador.
Abrego Garcia was charged last year with human smuggling after being returned to the U.S. The charges stem from a 2022 traffic stop in Tennessee. He didn’t face charges then, but the Justice Department reopened an investigation into the traffic stop after a federal judge in Maryland ordered the Trump administration to facilitate his return from El Salvador.
In his ruling Friday, U.S. District Judge Waverly Crenshaw said the actions by then-Deputy Attorney General Todd Blanche “taints the investigation with a vindictive motive.”
“The reopening of the closed HSI investigation is the source of the vindictiveness,” Crenshaw said, referring to Homeland Security Investigations, which conducts federal criminal probes.
Crenshaw said the government would not have prosecuted Abrego Garcia if not for his successful lawsuit challenging his deportation to El Salvador.
“Blanche’s now unrebutted public statements tying the reopened investigation to Abrego’s successful lawsuit taints the investigation with a vindictive motive,” Crenshaw said. “The evidence before this Court sadly reflects an abuse of prosecuting power.”
In a statement, the Department of Homeland Security called the decision “naked judicial activism.” The agency also said Abrego Garcia’s final order of removal stands, saying “this Salvadorian is not going to remain in our country.”
Abrego Garcia in a statement said, “Justice is a big word and an even bigger promise to fulfill; and I am grateful that today, justice has taken a step forward.”
Copyright 2026 NPR
South-Carolina
Trump says he’s sending 5,000 more troops to Poland
WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump on Thursday said the U.S. will send an additional 5,000 troops to Poland, stirring confusion following weeks of changing statements from Trump and his administration about reducing — not increasing — the American military footprint in Europe.
The Trump administration has said it was reducing levels in Europe by about 5,000 troops, and U.S. officials confirmed about 4,000 service members were no longer deploying to Poland. Trump’s social media announcement raises more uncertainty for European allies that have been blindsided by the changes as the administration has complained about NATO members not shouldering enough of the burden of their own defense and failing to do more to support the Iran war.
“Based on the successful Election of the now President of Poland, Karol Nawrocki, who I was proud to Endorse, and our relationship with him, I am pleased to announce that the United States will be sending an additional 5,000 Troops to Poland,” Trump said on Truth Social.
Trump and the Pentagon have said in recent weeks that they were drawing down at least 5,000 troops in Germany after Chancellor Friedrich Merz said the U.S. was being “humiliated” by the Iranian leadership and criticized what he called a lack of strategy in the war.
Trump then told reporters at the beginning of the month that the U.S. would be “cutting a lot further than 5,000.”
As of last week, some 4,000 troops from the Army’s 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division were no longer en route to Poland. The Associated Press reported that the canceled deployment was part of an effort to comply with Trump’s order to reduce the number of troops in Europe. A deployment to Germany of personnel trained to fire long-range missiles also was halted.
Democratic and Republican lawmakers alike criticized the reductions as sending the wrong signal both to allies and Russian President Vladimir Putin during the 4-year-old war in Ukraine.
Republican Rep. Don Bacon of Nebraska said during a congressional hearing that he spoke with Polish officials and they were “blindsided.” He called the decision “reprehensible” and said it was “an embarrassment to our country what we just did to Poland.”
Chief Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said Tuesday that it was “a temporary delay” of the deployment of U.S. forces to Poland, which he called a “model U.S. ally.” He said it was a result of the U.S. reducing the number of brigade combat teams assigned to Europe from four to three and indicated the Pentagon still needed to decide which troops to station where.
It was not clear whether that meant the brigade would resume its deployment to Poland, if additional troops on top of that rotational deployment could be added, or whether there would still be a drawdown of U.S. troops in Europe but from a different country. The Pentagon referred requests for comment to the White House, which did not immediately respond to messages seeking clarity.
Defense Secretary Pete Hegseth and Defense Undersecretary Elbridge Colby both spoke with with their Polish counterparts this week. Polish Prime Minister Donald Tusk had said Wednesday that he was happy to hear “Washington’s declaration that Poland will be treated as it deserves.”
As of Tuesday, U.S. Gen. Alexus Grynkewich, commander of both American and NATO forces in Europe, told reporters in Brussels that “it will be 5,000 troops coming out of Europe.”
Trump’s announcement came as Secretary of State Marco Rubio was on his way to Sweden to meet with his NATO counterparts, who have been questioning the Trump administration’s policies on reduced U.S. troop levels in Europe.
“There seems to be no process to deliberating policies like troop withdrawals and deployments at the top,” said Ian Kelly, a retired career diplomat who served as U.S. ambassador to Georgia during the Obama and first Trump administrations and now teaches international relations at Northwestern University in Illinois.
Kelly said Rubio may have a tough time in explaining Trump’s wild swings to Europeans who are craving certainty and consistency even if they might disagree.
“These are not well thought out decisions,” Kelly said. “These are impulsive decisions based on Trump’s whims or what his advisors think are Trump’s whims.”
Copyright 2026 NPR
South-Carolina
Former deputy accused of DUI
RICHLAND COUNTY, S.C. (WACH) — A former Richland County deputy is accused of driving under the influence, according to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department.
Authorities say the South Carolina Highway Patrol stopped a gray Toyota pickup truck around 10:08 p.m. Wednesday on Bluff Road for a traffic violation.
Troopers identified the driver as 35-year-old Spencer Matthew Link and determined he was believed to be under the influence of alcohol, according to authorities.
Link, who was off duty and driving his personal vehicle at the time, was arrested and booked into the Alvin S. Glenn Detention Center.
According to the Richland County Sheriff’s Department, Link was immediately suspended without pay following the arrest and is no longer employed with the agency.
Link had been employed there since May 2024, according to RCSD.
-
Finance5 minutes agoAussie who turned teen side hustle into $100 million empire pushes back at retail trend
-
Fitness11 minutes agoWhat is soft fitness? Experts say the gentler wellness trend could be the key to finally enjoying exercise
-
Movie Reviews24 minutes ago‘The Birthday Party’ Review: Hafsia Herzi, Benoît Magimel and Monica Bellucci in Léa Mysius’ Gripping if Uneven Home-Invasion Thriller
-
World35 minutes agoVideo: Europeans Remain Wary as Trump Promises to Deploy Troops to Poland
-
Politics48 minutes agoVideo: Tulsi Gabbard Resigns as Intelligence Chief
-
Health1 hour agoEili Lilly’s Retatrutide Weight-Loss Results Rival Bariatric Surgery
-
Lifestyle1 hour agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology2 hours agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for