Connect with us

North Carolina

When a North Carolina colonel shot this utility worker, journalists suggested his victim was a spy

Published

on

When a North Carolina colonel shot this utility worker, journalists suggested his victim was a spy


At first glance, the killing of Ramzan Daraev was a senseless tragedy. Daraev was taking photographs of a telephone pole in Carthage, North Carolina, on May 3 for his utility company job. A U.S. Army special operations colonel who lives on that street accused Daraev of trespassing; the confrontation ended with the colonel shooting Daraev dead.

Journalists smelled a more sensational story. Daraev, it turns out, was an immigrant from Chechnya, a Muslim-majority region of Russia that has a history of conflict with the Russian government. Fox News reporters and a conservative social media personality falsely called Daraev an illegal alien, both implying that Daraev was a Russian spy.

Although the investigation is ongoing and it’s unclear whether the colonel or Daraev was to blame for escalating the fight, there’s no evidence that Daraev was connected to any foreign scheme.

The story is a perfect storm of anti-immigrant panic and national security paranoia. Because the incident involved a U.S. soldier and a foreigner—one who fled from a rival government, to boot—journalists were quick to assume that the foreigner had it coming. And they projected an action-movie fantasy to explain why.

Advertisement

The confrontation began while Daraev and a coworker were “performing pole surveys as part of an ongoing engineering design project for deploying fiber infrastructure,” his employer, Utilities One, later confirmed. An unnamed colonel, who is stationed at nearby Fort Liberty, was alarmed by two men with cameras outside of his house.

“They are talking to each other on the property line right now, and they are obviously having a difficult time communicating,” his wife told police, laughing a little, according to audio of her 911 call released by The Fayetteville Observer. “My husband’s just yelling to me to ‘call the police, call the police.’”

Then something went wrong. The colonel’s wife called the police again a few minutes later, screaming that she needed a rifle. “This person is from Chechnya. He came up on our property line. My kids are in the backyard. He’s taking pictures of our property. My husband, he’s military,” she said. “He’s trained and he knows what he’s doing, but I really need some police presence here.”

Soon after, Daraev was dead. He was shot in the face, the hand, and the back, according to a petition by the Daraev family. The sheriff’s department found Daraev’s partner, Adsalam Dzhankutov, nearby.

It would appear to be a common misunderstanding, turned violent. Thieves have pretended to be utility workers in the past and jumpy homeowners have shot real utility workers mistaken for intruders. But three weeks later, Fox News picked up the story, turning a local incident into a “mysterious shooting” that “raises questions” about national security.

Advertisement

“U.S. Special Operations soldiers around the country have experienced strange interactions in recent years that they say involve suspicious surveillance of them and their families,” national security reporter Jennifer Griffin and producer Liz Friden wrote. “Many believe that U.S. military bases have become an increasing target of foreign probes.”

Griffin and Friden conceded that the shooting “could have been a case of mistaken identity,” then quickly emphasized that Daraev and Dzhankutov had “cell phones with Russian language contacts.” (In other words, they still talked to their friends and family back home.) “Sources tell Fox News that ‘power company employment is often a cover for status/action’ that U.S. intelligence agents use for surveillance of foreign targets overseas,” they added.

Speaking on Fox News the next day, Griffin said that “neither [Chechen’s] name so far appears in any national databases, and I’m told, both were here illegally.” National security officials were throwing out a lot of innuendo pointing to something sinister, and Fox News was dutifully reporting it, without outright accusing Daraev and Dzhankutov of spying.

Steve Guest, a former adviser to Sen. Ted Cruz (R–Texas), said the quiet part out loud. “What were the illegal alien from a Russian republic doing in America?” he captioned the Fox News clip, in a social media post shared thousands of times. “Surveilling American soldiers? Targeting them for assassination?”

Scary stuff, if it had a shred of truth. Daraev, however, was in America legally. After the report went out, Seth Harp, a Rolling Stone editor who covers crime at Fort Liberty, posted a photo of Daraev’s U.S. work permit to social media. After Reason reached out, Fox News added an editor’s note to its online article stating that Daraev’s immigration status has not been corroborated.

Advertisement

“It has come to our attention that Ramzan Daraev’s family has provided [U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services] documentation that suggests he was here in the U.S. legally. We have not been able to corroborate his legal status with the appropriate legal authorities,” Griffin says through a spokesperson. “Repeated attempts to reach Utility One and Ramzan’s family have gone unanswered. We inadvertently reported on May 24 that he was in the country illegally. The case remains under investigation.”

In reality, Daraev was running from the Russian government. According to Utility One’s statement, Daraev had fled his homeland due to the invasion of Ukraine; the Russian army is reportedly using Chechen conscripts as cannon fodder. “Ramzan left Russia, not realizing that the greatest injustice against him would be done in a free country,” the Daraev family wrote in their petition.

Only two people in the world really know what happened between Daraev and the colonel, and one of them is dead. There’s no reason, however, to assume that Daraev was conducting “surveillance of foreign targets” on behalf of a government he fled. Only in the movies is there a spy behind every telephone pole.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

North Carolina

NC education officials ask feds to restore $17M in federal Covid relief funds

Published

on

NC education officials ask feds to restore M in federal Covid relief funds


The North Carolina State Board of Education and Superintendent Mo Green are asking the federal government to reverse a decision that effectively stops the flow of $17 million to North Carolina schools for facility upgrades.

The board voted Thursday to send a joint statement with Green that asks the U.S. Department of Education to honor extensions for spending about $17 million in pandemic stimulus funds that the Biden administration had granted last year.

More than $6 billion in pandemic stimulus dollars earmarked for North Carolina public schools since 2020 has been spent or were committed before a September 2024 deadline. But some extensions were made under the Biden administration to allow schools to spend the funds before the end of March 2026 — particularly spending for facility expenses to offer relief from times when materials and labor were in short supply.

Education Secretary Linda McMahon said last week she wouldn’t honor those extensions, stating that schools had “ample time” to spend the money and that the extensions were “not justified.” In a letter to state officials across the country, McMahon noted that they could re-apply for their extensions and would be reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Advertisement

Four school districts in North Carolina had extensions: Robeson, Halifax, Lenoir and Richmond county school systems. Public Schools of Robeson County was still awaiting the bulk of that — $14.6 million, largely for heating and air conditioning equipment.

Officials at the North Carolina Department of Public Instruction told WRAL News that the projects across all counties were largely for facilities, including window replacements. Some of those projects can’t be done quickly even after the worst of the supply shortages are over, because the work requires students and staff to be out of the building for extended periods of time, leaving holiday breaks and summers as the only times to do them.

In a statement directed to McMahon, the board and Green noted that the school districts had already signed contracts to do the work.

“These districts will now face potential cancellation of projects or, worse, will not have the resources to pay the bills for work already done,” they said in the statement.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

North Carolina

Machete-wielding, cinnamon bun-stealing North Carolina man arrested for armed robbery: police

Published

on

Machete-wielding, cinnamon bun-stealing North Carolina man arrested for armed robbery: police


An Asheville, North Carolina man wielding a machete was arrested for armed robbery after he allegedly stole a cinnamon bun from a grocery store before fleeing on foot, according to police.

The Asheville Police Department said 33-year-old Jeffrey Dewayne Bradburn has been charged with armed robbery, shoplifting and possession of drug paraphernalia.

The department said in a press release that its officers responded to the grocery store at about 5:30 p.m. on Monday after receiving reports of an armed robbery.

FORMER DUKE FOOTBALL PLAYER CONFESSES TO KILLING EX-REAL ESTATE AGENT FRIEND IN HER UPSCALE TOWNHOME: POLICE

Advertisement

Jeffrey Bradburn allegedly stole a cinnamon bun from a grocery store while wielding a machete, according to Asheville, North Carolina police. (Buncombe County Detention Facility)

When officers arrived, a store employee alleged that a man had stolen a cinnamon bun and incense. When the man was confronted, the store employee said, he displayed a machete before running away.

HAITIAN MAN CHARGED IN NC TRIPLE MURDER FLEW INTO US UNDER BIDEN MIGRANT FLIGHTS PROGRAM: ICE

Police lights

Asheville police responded to a grocery store after receiving reports of an armed robbery. (iStock)

Police canvassed the area for the suspect when they found a man, later identified as Bradburn, who matched the description and was eating a cinnamon bun.

Bradburn was arrested at the scene and charged with armed robbery, shoplifting and possession of drug paraphernalia.

Advertisement

LIBERAL NORTH CAROLINA CITY’S DEI PLAN FOR HURRICANE RELIEF SHUT DOWN BY HUD SECRETARY

Court room with gavel

The suspect was booked into a detention facility after the magistrate set his bond at $50,000. (iStock)

He was transported to the Buncombe County Detention Facility where he was held on a $50,000 bond.

CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP

The Asheville Police Department encourages anyone with information about the incident to contact them at 828-252-1110, or by sending an anonymous tip by texting TIP2APD, or 847411.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

North Carolina

NC chef named finalist for James Beard Award

Published

on

NC chef named finalist for James Beard Award


A North Carolina chef has been named a finalist for a regional James Beard Award.

The annual awards honor the best in the culinary industry and are often referred to as “The Oscars of Food.” The Triangle has a legacy of taking home honors.

The finalists were announced Wednesday and despite many North Carolina chefs being named semifinalists in national and regional categories, only one chef moved ahead as a finalist. 

Silver Iocovozzi of Neng Jr.’s in Asheville was named one of five finalists for the best chef in the southeast award.

Advertisement

The winners will be announced at the 2025 James Beard Restaurant and Chef Awards ceremony on Monday, June 16 at the Lyric Opera of Chicago.

North Carolina chefs have a history of winning James Beard Awards. Lantern’s Andrea Reusing won best chef in the southeast in 2011. Ben Barker of Magnolia Grill won the same honor in 2000. Karen and Ben Barker of Magnolia Grill won outstanding pastry chef in 2003.

Raleigh’s Ashley Christensen, who won the James Beard Award for Outstanding Chef in 2019, won the award for best chef in the southeast in 2014.

Ricky Moore of Saltbox Seafood in Durham won the James Beard Award for Best Chef: Southeast in 2022.   

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending