North Carolina
‘It was really surreal’: North Carolina residents watched floods lift cars, buildings
Helene wiped out large parts of Asheville, North Carolina, including businesses in the beloved River Arts District.
ASHEVILLE, N.C. — As Helene battered western North Carolina, residents in Asheville were heartbroken after seeing floodwaters lift cars, trucks, billboards, and homes.
Syd Yatteau, with her family members Erik and Lana Maystruk, were sheltering in place when the Swannanoa River reached about 26 feet at Biltmore Village on Friday. The next day, Yatteau walked through the mud and debris on South Tunnel Road, where the asphalt had upturned and a massive sinkhole had formed along the washed-out road.
Yattaeu recalled the rapidly rising river as it became a “giant moat” in front of their home, wiping away several houses in their subdivision. Even as the flood waters rose, creeping up the side of a hill and onto their driveway, she said they did not receive an evacuation order. The breadth of damage was unexpected.
“It was really surreal,” Yattaeu said of the rapid rise of the Swannanoa River. “Like, at the beginning it was all fun and games. Just watching the water be where it was.”
“And then it just kept going up,” she said.
Around 4 p.m. Friday, the Swannanoa River hit its peak at 26.1 feet, according to data from the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration. That’s five feet above the record set during the 1916 floods, which killed numerous people and demolished most of Asheville — including Biltmore Village.
The waters didn’t flood Yatteau’s home, but they reached a neighbor’s home just down the hill. Their neighbors came up and stayed with their family, Erik Maystruk said, then helped them sort through the ruins of their house the day after.
“We tried to go over to their house earlier in the morning today. Tried to salvage as much as we can,” Yatteau said.
Hurricanes on repeat: Natural disasters ‘don’t feel natural anymore’
River brings cars, groceries, houses past local road
Living just down the road from the grocery store Aldi, Yatteau, and the Maystruks watched as the water swept away food from the grocery store. Nearly a half-mile down the road, bags of chips, Snickers, and produce could be found pressed up against the side of the Wood Avenue Bridge.
Near that bridge, the emptied businesses were being picked over by families as they sought to find anything among the wreckage. Drone footage taken by Erik Maystruk showed more of the destructive flooding, including semi-trucks piling up as the river dragged them closer to Biltmore Village.
The day after the catastrophe, the trio made their way up Swannanoa River Road, past a destroyed Walgreens, Lowes Home Improvement, Goodwill, and U-Haul. Trekking through the mud, it took them about 20 to 30 minutes to make it the half mile to South Tunnel Road. While they were supplied with food, water supplies seemed uncertain.
“I don’t know about water, but we have a few freezers, so we might be okay,” Lana Maystruk said, noting that they did have a backup generator running at their house.
“We don’t expect to get power anytime soon,” Yatteau said.
Local businesses ‘completely destroyed’
Helene wiped out large parts of Asheville, including businesses in the beloved River Arts District. Overlooking the district, the Riverlink Bridge, a central gateway between downtown and West Asheville, has become a sort of hub for gathering as residents reel from the historic damage caused by Helene.
The French Broad River crested at a record 24.67 feet on Friday and was still well above its banks at 12.68 feet on Sunday around noon, according to NOAA.
Bystanders continued to flock to the bridge and were overcome with a sense of serious awe, grief, and horror. Along Depot Street, a car sat empty in the middle of the road with its window open and child seats full of mud had been dragged away.
Just a little bit further down the road, Erin Quevedo, the owner of Balm Salon on Depot Street, was ankle-deep in mud attempting to salvage what she could of her business.
“The salon was completely destroyed. It looks like the water came up to about five feet inside,” Quevedo said. Five hair stylists worked at the salon along with her.
“Right now, all we’re doing is we’re trying to salvage what we can,” she said, noting that only a few things, such as hairstyle tools, were salvageable. “A lot of it was underwater.”
Inside the salon, the flooding had caused parts of the walls to flake off, as her husband, Ted, bagged hair products and supplies while standing in a thick veil of mud.
“It’s really heartbreaking. I’m not really sure what we’re gonna do. I think it’s just kind of one step at a time,” Quevedo said. “I would like to rebuild if I can, but, I mean, it’s really hard to say. Like this might be just like a devastating blow to my business, my livelihood.”
Will Hofmann is the Growth and Development Reporter for the Asheville Citizen-Times, part of the USA TODAY Network. Got a tip? Email him at WHofmann@citizentimes.com. Consider supporting this type of journalism with a subscription to the Citizen-Times
North Carolina
Bill Belichick’s future at North Carolina in doubt: Report
First-year head coach Bill Belichick appeared to find his groove with the University of North Carolina by early November.
More News: Texas’ Steve Sarkisian Calls Out Notre Dame
The Tar Heels defeated Syracuse and Stanford in back-to-back weeks after starting out 0-3 in ACC play.
However, UNC lost its third consecutive game on Saturday as rival NC State mauled Belichick’s program 42-19 in front of 56,919 fans at Carter-Finley Stadium. North Carolina dropped a close 32-25 game to rival Duke in Week 13.
More News: Florida AD Receives Major Backlash Amid Jon Sumrall News
Following the loss to the Wolfpack, Belichick finished the regular season 4-8.
During the season, Belichick was linked to the New York Giants after Brian Daboll was fired. Belichick put those rumors to rest as he finished the season with the Tar Heels.
“Look, I’ve been down this road before,” Belichick said before North Carolina played Wake Forest. “I’m focused on Wake Forest, that’s it. That’s my commitment to this team. Next week it’ll be to our next opponent and so forth. I’m here to do the best I can for this team.”
Per Mike Florio of Pro Football Talk, the former New England Patriots head coach is expected to draw interest from multiple NFL teams this offseason.
“Some think one or more pro franchises will explore hiring Belichick, who can leave at any time for a buyout of only $1 million,” Florio wrote. “However, he has received only one interview during two hiring cycles since the Patriots fired him after the 2023 season.
“The 73-year-old Belichick took the UNC job last December, apparently due in part to the unwillingness of any NFL team(s) with a current or expected vacancy to indicate that he’d be hired. This time around, he’s available to be discreetly interviewed. If anyone chooses to interview him.”
Belichick should draw at least a discreet interview.
The head coach of six Super Bowl victories has 302 wins, which is third all-time in the NFL behind George Halas (318) and Don Shula (328). Belichick would have a chance to pass both in a few seasons if he had success with a new team.
For more on the NCAA, head to Newsweek Sports.
North Carolina
What a Loss Would Mean for North Carolina
Saturday marks the end of the North Carolina Tar Heels’ 2025 college football season. Regardless of whether the Tar Heels win or lose, Saturday will be their final game played this season. North Carolina’s failure last week against the Duke Blue Devils officially eliminated it from bowl eligibility.
Bill Belichick’s team enters Week 14 with a 4-7 record. Last season, under Mac Brown, the Tar Heels finished with an 8-4 record and played in the Fenway Bowl against the Connecticut Huskies.
Hiring Belichick was supposed to elevate the football program while supplying substantial hardware. Clearly, that did not happen this season, and North Carolina will have to settle for a moral victory on Saturday.
What would a loss mean for the Tar Heels moving forward?
It goes without saying that Belichick’s tenure at North Carolina has gotten off to a rough start. Not only would a loss be the final nail in the coffin for this season, but it would bring North Carolina to 4-8, the opposite record it boasted last season under a different coaching staff.
Under Belichick, the Tar Heels have lacked ingenuity and creativity, which has left a bland brand of football this season. Because of that, North Carolina is our gene 19.3 points per game, which ranks 236th in the country.
The 73-year-old head coach has brought little life and energy into a program that, though his arrival would deliver success and hardware.
It is already the worst season for the Tar Heels in seven years, as it marks the first time during that span that the team will not be featured in a bowl game.
Losing on Saturday would add more fuel to the fire while also casting doubt on Belichick’s ability to develop a winning culture in Chapel Hill. There would also be more speculation about Belichick’s overall future.
Earlier this week, Senior NFL insider Josina Anderson reported that NFL teams could be calling Belichick to return to the league.
If the Tar Heels lose on Saturday, would it raise the probability of Belichick jumping ship and departing for an NFL head coaching job? Also, would North Carolina lose players to the transfer portal? Both are plausible outcomes in the event that the Tar Heels close out the season with three straight losses.
Please follow us on X when you click right HERE!
Please make sure you follow us today on our Facebook page when you click right HERE!
North Carolina
UNC’s Austin Blaske Mindset for Upcoming NC State Matchup
The North Carolina Tar Heels’ season will officially conclude after this weekend, regardless of the result on Saturday against North Carolina State.
However, the Impact of this game against North Carolina State means much more since it is an in-state rivalry matchup.
While speaking with the media during his press conference availability center Austin Blaske previewed the matchup while revealing what he has learned from his head coach during the season.
The Tar Heels’ season has been a roller coaster, which is one of the main reasons the team failed to qualify for a bowl game. Blaske understands that it has not been the season that many fans hoped for, but it served as a learning experience for the program.
Although Blaske’s final season does not conclude with a bowl game appearance, the six-year senior did have an opportunity to learn from Bill Belichick. The veteran center spoke on that experience and how it helped him develop as a player.
The Tar Heels’ 2025 season is inching closer to the end, but 2026 could spell much more success with another recruiting class arriving, paired with the experience gained from the current regime.
Please follow us on X when you click right HERE!
Please make sure you follow us today on our Facebook page when you click right HERE!
-
Science1 week agoWashington state resident dies of new H5N5 form of bird flu
-
Business5 days agoStruggling Six Flags names new CEO. What does that mean for Knott’s and Magic Mountain?
-
Politics3 days agoRep. Swalwell’s suit alleges abuse of power, adds to scrutiny of Trump official’s mortgage probes
-
Ohio4 days agoSnow set to surge across Northeast Ohio, threatening Thanksgiving travel
-
Southeast1 week agoAlabama teacher arrested, fired after alleged beating of son captured on camera
-
News1 week agoAnalysis: Why Democrats are warning about Trump giving illegal orders | CNN Politics
-
Business1 week agoFormer Google chief accused of spying on employees through account ‘backdoor’
-
Technology3 days agoNew scam sends fake Microsoft 365 login pages