Maryland
No. 12 Maryland men’s lacrosse escapes past No. 9 Ohio State in overtime 8-7 – WMUC Sports
No. 12 Maryland men’s lacrosse returned home to face off against No. 9 Ohio State, with the Terps being the second game of a women’s and men’s lacrosse doubleheader at SECU Stadium.
Cathy Reese’s women’s team continued its undefeated season and it was her son, Riley Reese, who was the story for the men’s team. A five-goal first quarter, along with an impressive defensive performance that was capped off by Reese’s game-winner, gave Maryland a much-needed 8-7 overtime win Saturday night.
Ohio State’s defense has been arguably the best in the country up to this point. The Buckeyes have allowed just seven goals per game this season, including multiple games holding teams to five or fewer goals.
Despite this, Maryland’s attack got going early.
The Terps scored five goals in the first quarter, including a 4-0 run to open the game. Leo Johnson led the offense, assisting twice and scoring a goal of his own during the opening run.
But the first quarter was the only time Maryland’s offense looked good all game, only scoring twice for the remainder of regulation, including a zero-goal fourth quarter.
“Two goals in three quarters … you’re really not scoring a lot of goals,” head coach John Tillman said. “We’ll put a lot of time in. We just got to help these guys be better.”
Maryland applied pressure, but struggled to convert on their chances. The Terps scored just one goal in each of the second and third quarters, despite having 16 shots and nine shots on goal over that stretch.
The turnover issues resurfaced, a problem for Maryland all year. The Terps average over 14 per game, and after only one in the first quarter, Maryland turned it over nine times in the last three quarters.
With the offensive struggles, Maryland looked to faceoffs to keep the attack afloat. The Terps pair of Henry Dodge and Jonah Carrier delivered, winning 12 of 18 from the spot.
Dodge was dominant, winning 8-of-10 face-offs, including the lone face-off in the overtime period.
With the offense scuffling throughout most of the game, it was the defense that came through for Maryland. Coming off one of its best defensive games of the season last week, Maryland built on that performance again against the Buckeyes.
Ohio State lacked rhythm on offense, aided by Maryland forcing 12 turnovers. The Terps’ defensive prowess was amplified in the second half, as they allowed just two goals.
The backline was able to keep pressure away from Brian Ruppel, allowing just 17 shots on goal throughout the game. Ruppel performed when needed, making 10 saves good for a .558 save percentage.
With the Terps attack scoring four times on their first five shots on goal, Ohio State goalkeeper Caleb Fyock looked to be on his way to a second straight bad performance in Big Ten play.
Fyock rebounded in the second quarter, ending with eight total saves heading into the break and keeping Maryland from building on its early lead.
The junior dominated the rest of the game and completely locked up the Maryland attack, making multiple big saves.
“Give their defense credit, you look at what they’ve done all year, they’ve been rock solid.” Tillman said. “Caleb [Fyock]’s excellent… hats off to them, they were as advertised.”
Despite Ohio State building on its goalkeeper’s dominance to end the game, its offense lacked the firepower to overcome the early deficit.
The win for the Terps comes at a crucial point in Big Ten play. With just two games remaining in the regular season, Maryland is tied for first place in the Big Ten standings.
Related
Maryland
Most Maryland sheriffs drop arrest agreements with ICE despite vows to fight a new state law – WTOP News
At least seven of the nine counties that had the so-called 287(g) agreements with Immigration and Customs Enforcement have pulled out of those plans.
Maryland sheriffs vowed to fight legislation, passed early in this year’s legislative session, prohibiting formal agreements between local police agencies and federal immigration officials, and giving sheriff’s departments 90 days to get out of any deal they were in.
But as the 90-day clock expires Monday, it turns out that at least seven of the nine counties that had the so-called 287(g) agreements with Immigration and Customs Enforcement have pulled out of those plans and an eighth said the agreement will not be enforced, even though it’s still on the books.
Most of the local departments dropped the 287(G) agreements either the same day or the day after Gov. Wes Moore (D) signed Senate Bill 245 and House Bill 444 into law Feb. 17. The emergency legislation took effect immediately upon his signature.
While they appear to have given up the 287(g) fight, however, sheriffs are still assessing a challenge to another immigration bill that passed during the waning hours on the last day of this year’s session: the Community Trust Act. It is one of several immigration enforcement bills the governor has yet to sign, with just one more bill signing scheduled for May 26.
The majority Democratic legislature and the supporters of the 287(g) ban argue it eliminates and distrust of police in communities where aggressive immigration tactics have been conducted and enforced by President Donald Trump (R) and his administration.
As of Sunday, according to ICE, the agency had 1,832 law enforcement agencies in 39 states and two U.S. territories signed on to participate in the 287(g) program. Seven of the nine Maryland counties – Allegany, Carroll, Cecil, Frederick, Harford, St. Mary’s and Wicomico – already informed the agency they had to terminate their partnerships due to the passage of the law.
“I thank you for your partnership since 2019 and your efforts to help me keep our communities safer,” wrote Cecil County Sheriff Scott Adams in a Feb. 17 letter addressed to Vernon Liggins, acting field office director in the Baltimore ICE office.
But the agency’s website lists two Maryland counties still participating: Garrett and Washington.
A representative from the Garrett County Sheriff Office didn’t respond to requests for comment Friday.
Washington County Sheriff Brian Albert said that because the 287(g) ban took effect immediately, the agreement “is pretty much null and void. We’re not participating in the 287(g) program. We just don’t have a lot of people with detainers on them that are processing through the jail. There’s not a large immigrant community here in Washington County.”
But Albert and some other sheriffs are assessing legal advice about the Community Trust Act.
Senate Bill 791, sponsored by Sen. Clarence Lam (D-Anne Arundel and Howard), which was made an emergency measure, would prohibit local or state police from holding a person for ICE, except in limited scenarios: If a person was convicted of a felony in the United States; is a registered sex offender; served between 12 to 18 months in a state prison; or committed an offense in another state and served at least five years in prison.
A major part of the bill requires federal officials to present a judicial warrant to hold someone, not just an administrative warrant.
One of the main complaints from Republican lawmakers and some sheriffs is the act will not only decrease cooperation with federal officials, but also force law enforcement agencies to follow both federal and state law they say conflict with each other.
“We’re sworn to uphold the constitution of the United States and the state of Maryland. The Community Trust Act puts us in a very tough predicament,” Albert said.
‘Have some standing’
Harford County Sheriff Jeffrey Gahler posted a video April 15 on social media urging the governor to veto the Community Trust Act.
“This legislation is a direct assault on public safety. It officially bans our law enforcement and correctional officers from communicating with our federal partners at the Department of Homeland Security,” Gahler said in video.
He reiterated that point said in an interview Thursday.
“The governor hasn’t signed it. We’re waiting on [whether] if he vetoes it, or allows it to become law after 30 days if he doesn’t veto it or sign it,” Gahler said. “We have talked with attorneys. We think we might have some standing. I hope we don’t get there. I hope he does the right thing and vetoes this terrible bill.”
But supporters have said the Community Trust Act closes a loophole that lets local law enforcement agencies and jails detain individuals based on their immigration status and administrative requests from ICE. It complements the passage of the 287(g) ban, they argue.
Another immigration-related bill awaiting the governor’s signature is the Data Privacy Act, which seeks to close loopholes in the state’s Public Information Act and prohibit a business from selling personal data of an individual “for the purpose of immigration enforcement.”
“The signing of these bills are going to be career defining for our governor and going to mark his legacy on immigration at a time when our communities are under attack,” said Cathryn Jackson, policy director for We Are CASA.
As for the 287(g) legislation advocates pushed for more than a decade to get, Del. Nicole Williams (D-Prince George’s) said “it’s a big deal.”
“It’s just really unfortunate we are in this political climate we are in today with a federal administration in trying to prevent people from obtaining the American dream,” said Williams, who sponsored the House version of the 287(g) legislation.
“It’s about people who are searching for a better life for their family. When we talk about American exceptionalism, our immigration system is a part of that,” she said.
Maryland Matters is part of States Newsroom, a nonprofit news network supported by grants and a coalition of donors as a 501c(3) public charity. Maryland Matters maintains editorial independence. Contact Editor Steve Crane for questions: editor@marylandmatters.org.
Maryland
Maryland Board of Elections pushes back on Trump’s claim of 500,000 fake mail-in ballots
The Maryland State Board of Elections (SBE) is denying President Trump’s claim that the state “just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed,” saying that no “fake ballots” were distributed.
The SBE previously acknowledged an error by its mail-in ballot vendor that resulted in some voters receiving the wrong party ballot for the gubernatorial primary election. The president, in response, claimed on social media that Maryland “just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed” and pushed for the passage of the Save America Act.
Maryland SBE mailed some voters the wrong ballots
The SBE said that more than 500,000 Maryland voters requested mail-in ballots. According to the SBE, the error only affects voters who were mailed a ballot before May 14, 2026.
However, the SBE said that while it is possible that “only a small number” of voters received the wrong ballot, because of the error, all voters must be sent a replacement ballot.
The board of elections said it is working with the vendor to send those replacement mail-in ballots.
Voters who requested and received their mail-in ballot online to print at home will not be impacted, according to the SBE. All impacted voters will be notified.
The Maryland primaries will be held on June 23, 2026.
After the error was acknowledged, Mr. Trump wrote on Saturday, “Maryland just had 500,000 Fake Mail-In Ballots revealed. We cannot, as a Country, put up with this any longer!!! Voter I.D., and Proof of Citizenship, must be approved, NOW. Crooked Mail-In Voting must be stopped!!! PUT IT ALL IN THE HOUSING AND FISA BILLS. MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!!!”
Jared DeMarinis, the Maryland State Administrator of Elections, told CBS News Baltimore that “I want to assure the President, voters, and the public that NO Fake Mail-in ballots were distributed.”
He added that the trusted source on election results is the State Board of Elections, “rather than a social media influencer.”
“The wording in President Trump’s post regarding Maryland’s election seeks to mislead, sow distrust, and create misinformation,” DeMarinis said.
DeMarinis said the SBE issued a statement acknowledging an error, and it continues to move quickly to engage all affected and concerned voters.
“The action taken for reissuance of ballots eliminates any doubt about the integrity or accuracy of mail-in voting,” DeMarinis said. “Maryland’s elections are verified, secure, and transparent. Mail-in voting is, and will remain, an integral part of the electoral process. Every eligible voter will get a chance to cast their ballot in their chosen manner and every voice will be heard.”
What is the Save America Act?
The SAVE America Act, or the Safeguard American Voter Eligibility Act, was introduced in the U.S. House of Representatives on Jan. 30, 2026.
The bill would require voters to provide proof of U.S. citizenship when registering, and would implement photo identification requirements for voting.
The bill would also prevent states from accepting and processing voting applications to register in a federal election unless the voter presents documentary proof of U.S. citizenship.
Proponents of the bill say it is aimed at preventing noncitizens from casting ballots. Some experts, however, say the bill could affect millions of Americans who don’t have access to certain documents, like a passport or their birth certificate, or who have changed their names.
Maryland
Maryland is resending thousands of mail-in primary ballots after a vendor mix-up – WTOP News
The State Board of Elections said some voters received the wrong party’s ballot because of a vendor error.
Thousands of Maryland voters are getting new primary election ballots in the mail because of an error in the first batch.
The State Board of Elections said some voters received the wrong party’s ballot because of a vendor error.
“It is possible only a small number of voters received the wrong ballot, and most voters received the correct ballot,” the board of elections said in a statement.
But all mail-in voters will be sent a replacement ballot.
“Mail-in voting is an integral facet of the electoral process. With over 500,000 voters requesting mail-in ballots, we want to eliminate any doubt in its integrity or accuracy … that is why I have arranged the sending of replacement ballots,” Maryland State Administrator of Elections Jared DeMarinis said.
The affected ballots were requested and mailed before May 14, more than a month before the state’s June 16 deadline for voters who wish to have their ballots mailed to them.
Voters who requested ballots that can be downloaded, printed and mailed were not affected by the error. They have until June 22 — the day before the state’s primary election — to request ballots by web delivery.
“Please be assured that we are actively answering phones and responding to emails and will remain transparent as we navigate through this situation,” DeMarinis said. “We will make every effort to ensure that everyone affected knows the situation and how to cast their ballot.”
Get breaking news and daily headlines delivered to your email inbox by signing up here.
© 2026 WTOP. All Rights Reserved. This website is not intended for users located within the European Economic Area.
-
Minneapolis, MN51 seconds agoStabbing at Minneapolis Fine Line leaves man hospitalized: MPD
-
Indianapolis, IN7 minutes agoIndianapolis 500 Qualifying Sees Former Winner on Pole
-
Pittsburg, PA13 minutes agoTwo women injured after fight turns into shooting in Pittsburgh neighborhood
-
Augusta, GA19 minutes ago
Buddy Carter to campaign in Augusta during statewide tour
-
Washington, D.C25 minutes agoGregory Barbaccia and Amy Gleason among senior federal speakers at Washington D.C. conference
-
Cleveland, OH31 minutes agoMultiple-car crash on I-90 exit, EMS say
-
Austin, TX37 minutes agoAustin, Texas shooting leaves 4 injured, 3 in custody. What we know
-
Alabama43 minutes agoSupreme Court ruling throws Alabama politics into turmoil