Maryland
‘It’s a shame’: Families shocked by abrupt summer camp closure in Maryland
For decades, the summer camp at the Patuxent River 4-H Center in Bowie, Maryland, served thousands of kids.
But now, the camp has announced it’s closing its doors, sending shockwaves to parents now looking for other options.
The camp has been a staple for families living in and around Prince George’s County.
Families and their kids said this was an important part of their childhood, especially coming out of the pandemic.
“After that long break during COVID of just not really being near anybody, it was really good for me to really get out there pushing myself out there and like meet new people,” Allison Holley said.
For the last four years, Holley and her brother have looked forward to a week at camp away from their parents. This year, she was looking forward to being a counselor.
“I was surprised at first,” Holley said after learning of the closure. “I was just like, ‘We’ve been going there for so long, like that’s crazy,’ and then I got really sad because I’m not going to see a lot of those people again.”
The center posted on its website that the summer camp would be closing for good this year, leaving parents stunned and questioning why the camp would shut down.
“It’s a shame,” parent Joanna Shane said. “It will be something that they don’t get to have.”
“Very disappointed, because this is what we do every summer. This is what we were planning,” parent Julie Holley said.
The abrupt announcement comes at a time when parents say many other camp slots are filling up.
“Now, I will have to look for other alternatives … The only thing is, there’s no other camps like 4-H in this area,” parent Christine Bennett said. “You have to travel, like almost to the Eastern Shore.”
In a statement, the 4-H center wrote, in part: “It has truly been an honor to be part of so many childhood memories over the years. For many of us, it has been a second home. It has been a place where children gained confidence.”
That was a key reason why parents like Julie Holley said she wanted to send her kids there.
“Learning about nature, appreciating the environment. And not only that, but they’re off their cellphones, they’re off their tablets and they don’t even think about them the whole time,” she said.
The center sent a statement to News4 listing the reasons for the closure, saying in part, “Unfortunately, due to budget constraints, finances and the funding to keep Patuxent River 4-H Center operating and many repairs to the buildings, we are forced to close.”
Campers hope Patuxent River 4-H leaders and the Maryland-National Capital Park and Planning Commission reconsider the decision.
“4-H made a really big impact on my life,” Allison Holley said. “I was so excited to be a counselor, and I really, really, really hope it opens back up.”
Maryland
Maryland leaders deflect as residents leave over costs
Maryland
Maryland SHA to assess Fallston intersection where teen died in dirt bike crash
HARFORD COUNTY, Md. (WBFF) — The Maryland State Highway Administration will be assessing the Fallston intersection where 16-year-old Tyler Benton was killed in a dirt bike crash earlier this month, Harford County Councilmember Alison Imhoff announced Thursday.
On May 5 around 2:30 p.m., troopers with the Maryland State Police Bel Air Barrack were called to the intersection of Fallston Road (MD-152) and Pleasantville Road for a crash involving a car and electric dirt bike.
ALSO READ | Fallston High School student killed after deadly crash in Harford County
The preliminary investigation found a Honda CR-V was traveling southbound on MD-152 and tried to make a left turn onto Pleasantville Rd. and that’s when an electric dirt bike traveling northbound on MD-152 hit the Honda on the passenger side, officials said.
Maryland State Police Aviation Command flew the teen, who attended Fallston High School, to a local trauma center where he was pronounced dead.
The Maryland State Police Crash Team is leading the investigation.
Once completed, the investigation will be presented to the Office of the State’s Attorney in Harford County to determine if charges will be filed.
SHA’s review should be done in the next 90 days, Councilmember Imhoff said.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
As the traffic flow and safety of the intersection are assessed, anyone with concerns or questions is asked to contact Councilmember Imhoff by emailing Abimhoff@harfordcountycouncil.com.
Maryland
Maryland's first – and only – Hispanic Serving Institution's cautious next steps
-
Los Angeles, Ca40 minutes agoMiley Cyrus to receive star on Hollywood Walk of Fame
-
Detroit, MI1 hour agoGrading Jack Campbell Detroit Lions Contract Extension
-
San Francisco, CA1 hour agoHeadlines, May 22 – Streetsblog San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX1 hour agoRanking the top 10 players on the Cowboys’ 2026 roster: #8 Tyler Booker
-
Miami, FL1 hour agoFecal bacteria risk at South Florida beach prompts health warning ahead of busy Memorial Day weekend
-
Boston, MA2 hours agoDorchester shooting leaves young man dead
-
Denver, CO2 hours agoAgency releases claim on $5 million of $7.5 million owed for new Broncos stadium
-
Seattle, WA2 hours ago
Generations of Seattle Talent Unite for ‘Intersections of Soul, Jazz and Hip-Hop’ at Seattle Center