Dallas, TX
Photographer won't press charges in alleged Rashee Rice nightclub assault, Dallas police say
The photographer who reportedly accused Kansas City Chiefs wide receiver Rashee Rice of assaulting him outside a Dallas nightclub earlier this month has declined to pursue charges, according to police.
Dallas Police Department spokesperson Kristin Lowman confirmed Tuesday the man has signed an affidavit of non-prosecution, but the investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Neither the victim nor the suspect were identified in the offense report obtained by KERA News, but the Dallas Morning News and WFAA have confirmed Rice was a person of interest in the case.
Lowman said it is not the department’s practice to release or confirm a suspect’s identity in an investigation.
According to the report, the photographer was attending a May 6 after hours party at the Lit Lounge & Feu Nightclub at 609 N. Harwood St. He left but returned at the request of a man who allegedly asked the photographer to look at Instagram messages on his phone.
While looking down, the man — believed to be Rice — allegedly punched the photographer on the left side of his face.
Texas senator and attorney Royce West, who represents Rice, did not immediately respond to a KERA News request for comment.
Nightclub owner Reza Dibaje told WFAA upon reviewing surveillance video from outside the club it didn’t look like the person a detective identified as the accuser was punched.
“We just want to clear our names because the report came out that there was a fight inside our place,” Dibaje told WFAA. “I was in the club the whole night, and I was even outside, and there was no fight in my place.”
Rice and suspended Southern Methodist University cornerback Theodore Knox still face eight criminal charges tied to a multivehicle crash on North Central Expressway in March.
Several victims in that crash are suing Rice in at least two separate lawsuits for millions of dollars in damages.
Got a tip? Email Toluwani Osibamowo at tosibamowo@kera.org. You can follow Toluwani on X @tosibamowo.
KERA News is made possible through the generosity of our members. If you find this reporting valuable, consider making a tax-deductible gift today. Thank you.
Copyright 2024 KERA
Dallas, TX
One Surprise Dallas Cowboys Cut to Expect After OTAs
The Dallas Cowboys will hold Organized Team Activities (OTAs) starting on June 1 and we would expect there to be some roster moves made after OTAs conclude on June 11.
This will be the first real opportunity we get to see the rookies and veterans on the same practice field, and that might be bad news for one of the Cowboys’ veterans.
That veteran is tight end Luke Schoonmaker, who has been nothing short of a disappointment since being taken with a second-round pick in 2023.
Not only has Schoonmaker not been a consistently good blocker during his career, the 27-year-old hasn’t offered much as a pass-catcher. Excelling in at least one of those areas is key for a depth tight end, yet Schoonmaker isn’t particularly great at either thing.
His play on the field is just one reason why Schoonmaker’s days with the Cowboys could be numbered.
Why Schoonmaker could get cut after OTAs
Along with his disappointing career that has so far spanned three seasons, another reason for Schoonmaker’s bleak outlook in Dallas is his contract situation.
The veteran is entering the final year of his deal and it looks like he is going to need a miracle to have a future with the Cowboys. And, there is an out in Schoonmaker’s contract this year, with the deal having a minimal dead-cap hit of $389,396.
Why would the Cowboys make the decision to cut Schoonmaker before letting him play out the final year of his deal? Well, it’s because of a pair of undrafted free-agent signings.
The more impressive of the two is Baylor product Michael Trigg, who the Cowboys clearly think very highly of after giving him a massive UDFA deal that includes $280,000 guaranteed.
Trigg is intriguing, to say the least. He has elite measurables for a tight end, and he was an explosive playmaker for the Bears, with Trigg going off for nearly 700 yards and six touchdowns in 2025. Head coach Brian Schottenheimer is clearly impressed with him.
“Talk about Michael Trigg first, we’ve all seen the highlight reel catches and things that he did at Baylor — it’s impressive,” the Cowboys head coach said. “You talk about a guy that can stretch the field vertically and make game-changing ‘wow’-type plays attacking the middle of the field. I think that jumps out at you.”
There’s also DJ Rogers, who showed improvement in each of his last three seasons at TCU and culminated his college career with 319 receiving yards and two scores. Schottenheimer is especially a fan of Rogers’ versatility.
“I love the versatility that DJ brings,” Schottenheimer said. “You see him play some Y, some F, some fullback.”
Given the fact the Cowboys added a pair of tight ends after the draft suggests the team isn’t totally content with its current lot.
Getting a chance to see Trigg, Rogers, and Schoonmaker side by side at OTAs might be enough for the Cowboys to decide it just isn’t worth keeping the veteran around, especially because doing so could take key reps away from the rookies. We’ll find out if that is the case in a little under one month.
— Sign up for the Cowboys Daily Digest newsletter for more free coverage from Dallas Cowboys on SI —
Follow
Dallas, TX
Dallas Mavericks Part Ways With Jason Kidd
MEMPHIS, TENNESSEE – APRIL 18: Head Coach Jason Kidd of the Dallas Mavericks reacts against the Memphis Grizzlies during the game of the Play-In Tournament at FedExForum on April 18, 2025 in Memphis, Tennessee. NOTE TO USER: User expressly acknowledges and agrees that, by downloading and or using this photograph, User is consenting to the terms and conditions of the Getty Images License Agreement. (Photo by Justin Ford/Getty Images)
Getty Images
Masai Ujiri is making his presence felt with the Dallas Mavericks already.
The team’s new president parted ways with head coach Jason Kidd, the franchise announced Tuesday evening.
Kidd had four years and more than $40 million remaining on his contract, per ESPN’s Shams Charania.
“Jason has had a meaningful impact on the Dallas Mavericks, both as a Hall of Fame player and as the head coach who helped lead this franchise back to the NBA Finals,” Ujiri said in a statement. “We are thankful for Jason’s leadership, his professionalism and his commitment to the team. In my short time here, I’ve developed an enormous amount of respect for what he has built. He will always be an important part of the Mavericks family.”
Kidd, 53, won an NBA championship with the team as a player (2011). He coached the Mavericks for five seasons, taking the team to the Western Conference Finals in 2022 and the NBA Finals in 2024. Dallas finished 26-56 this season.
“As we evaluate the future of our basketball program, we believe this is the right moment for a new direction for our team,” Ujiri said. “We have high expectations for this franchise and a responsibility to build a basketball organization capable of sustained championship contention. We will conduct a thorough, disciplined search for our next head coach and continue to evaluate our entire basketball operations staff to ensure we compete at the standard Mavs fans expect and deserve.”
Former Dallas GM Nico Harrison traded Luka Doncic at the deadline in 2025 in what is considered by many among the worst trades in NBA history, if not the worst.
The Mavericks then proceeded to win the NBA Draft Lottery and earned the right to draft Duke star Cooper Flagg last summer. Flagg, who enjoyed a close relationship with Kidd, went on to win NBA Rookie of the Year honors.
Harrison was fired last November and the Mavericks finished 26-56 this past season while dealing with a slew of injuries, including to Kyrie Irving (ACL) and Dereck Lively II (foot surgery).
The Mavericks own the No. 9 and 30 picks in this summer’s NBA Draft.
Dallas, TX
Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?
Kurt: Signed just two days after the draft, the Valdes-Scantling deal did slide in a bit under the radar, but this seems a wise move to add a veteran to the wide receiver room and perhaps even build in a little security in the event the George Pickens situation goes haywire.
Now entering his ninth season, the 6-foot-4, 206-pound Valdes-Scantling certainly brings size and experience. And you’re right, he’s topped 30 catches and 500 receiving yards three times in his career, which includes finishing third on the Chiefs with 687 yards during their 2022 championship season. He also had a touchdown grab in Kansas City’s 2023 Super Bowl victory.
Of course, the last two years have been more nomadic for Valdes-Scantling as he split 2024 between Buffalo and New Orleans and then spent time with both San Francisco and Pittsburgh in 2025. Last season in particular wasn’t exactly pretty, as he battled a calf injury on his way to just 120 receiving yards combined off 14 catches.
Meanwhile, Ryan Flournoy, who is five years younger, enjoyed a breakout effort in his sophomore campaign for the Cowboys, finishing with 40 catches for 475 yards and four touchdowns a season ago. At this point, the team clearly sees him as the first option for that third wideout spot.
So Valdes-Scantling will be in a battle for playing time (and perhaps even a roster spot), but taking a flier on a two-time Lombardi Trophy winner with a contract for less than $1.5 million, and only $187,500 of that guaranteed, made perfect sense. It’s a small investment that could potentially pay big dividends.
-
Arizona2 minutes agoGiants end difficult series with eye toward future, not past
-
Arkansas8 minutes ago
Dave Van Horn press conference: Arkansas baseball coach, players recap SEC Tournament win over Tennessee | Arkansas Democrat Gazette
-
California14 minutes agoNew police video shows deadly standoff after deputy killed in California shooting | Fox News Video
-
Colorado20 minutes agoColorado Supreme Court orders children’s hospital to resume gender-affirming care for minors
-
Connecticut26 minutes agoConnecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search
-
Delaware32 minutes ago‘Takeover’ events on uptick statewide; 4 wanted for Rehoboth incident
-
Florida38 minutes agoFlorida man arrested after suspected human remains found buried at property where his father lived
-
Georgia44 minutes agoHow Keisha Lance Bottoms plans to win Georgia governor race as underdog