Connect with us

Dallas, TX

Dallas paramedic who kicked, punched homeless man gets his job back

Published

on

Dallas paramedic who kicked, punched homeless man gets his job back


A paramedic fired after police body-camera video captured him kicking and punching a homeless man could soon be back on the job at Dallas Fire-Rescue after a judge ruled in his favor during a civil service hearing at city hall.

The judge ruled Brad Cox shouldn’t have been fired. Cox, a 19-year-veteran of the department, was demoted and will not earn back pay, said Jarred Davis, the Dallas Civil Service Department director and board secretary. A fire department spokesman would not say Monday whether Cox had begun the training needed to return to duty.

Police initially said Kyle Vess set fires along the Interstate 30 frontage road in West Dallas on Aug. 2, 2019. But a fire official said at the hearing the fire was not arson but was a fire code violation. Cox said Vess started the fire with a cigarette. Cox told officers on the scene that Vess hit him as he stomped out one of the fires. Cox punched or kicked Vess numerous times. Cox said during the hearing that Vess charged at him, kept getting up off the ground and made repeated attacks.

Neither Cox nor Vess were convicted of a crime.

Advertisement

Breaking News

Get the latest breaking news from North Texas and beyond.

Cox, who has a history of disciplinary problems, testified last week at the hearing he believes his use of force was justified because he feared for his life and acted to keep others safe. He said news media reports misconstrued what happened. Cox told the judge during the hearing that he “could not and would not have done anything differently.”

“I don’t ever leave the house wanting to fight anybody ever,” Cox said at the hearing. “I was put in a situation that I had no choice.”

Vess said in a lawsuit against Cox that Cox kicked him in the face. Cox testified at the hearing that after authorities arrived, he kicked Vess under his arm. Surveillance footage before authorities arrived shows Cox kicking Vess. The physical interactions in the videos often take place at the bottom of the screen or in front of a fire truck, making it difficult to see where some of the kicks and punches hit Vess.

Advertisement

Vess’ criminal defense lawyer, George Milner III said “that’s insane” when told Monday Cox got his job back. “He should not have been reinstated and there certainly seems to be a very different standard for reinstatement between the fire department and our police department.”

Kyle Vess’ mother visited him one week before Dallas paramedic Brad Cox was captured on police body camera footage kicking and punching him. LaNae Vess, his mother, took the photo on the left July 26, 2019. The photo on the right is Vess’ mugshot, taken at the Dallas County jail on Aug. 3, 2019.

Cox was fired in 2021 after media outlets, including The Dallas Morning News, published video that shows him punch and kick Vess. Vess’s family has said he suffered from mental illness and traumatic brain injury before the day. Cox’s kicks and punches to Vess’ head aggravated the brain injury, fractured an eye socket, cracked teeth and a fractured sinus, and the right side of his face was partially paralyzed, his family said in a lawsuit filed against the city and Cox in 2021. That lawsuit is pending.

Dallas Fire-Rescue chief Dominique Artis testified the incident was difficult to review. He said the confrontation started with Cox defending himself, but when police arrived, Cox should have moved away and let officers handle the situation.

”As a public servant, we have to be upfront and honest when we mess up,” Artis testified. “We own it and we move on. That’s one of the most important parts and the expectation of any public servant.”

Cox, trained as a mixed martial arts fighter, is seen in video footage kicking Vess while he was on the ground. While Artis said some fire department personnel supported Cox’s actions, he believed Cox’s actions didn’t meet DFR’s expectations, violated public trust and hurt morale.

Advertisement

Several first responder witnesses said at the hearing Cox was regarded as a “hero” or praised his actions. Cox arrived at a dangerous scene before law enforcement but lacked training in how to handle the situation, his attorney said.

Fire department officials said Cox shouldn’t have kicked Vess after police arrived. The chief said he fired Cox after reviewing the incident and his disciplinary record. An internal investigation found Cox broke two conduct rules that forbid actions that could “impair the public’s confidence or trust” and could adversely affect “morale or efficiency” or lower or destroy public respect.”

On Thursday, administrative law judge James E. Urmin Sr. ruled Cox violated the policies. But he also said Cox acted reasonably and should not have been fired.

Cox told the judge news media “crucified me” in headlines and led people to “paint a narrative that is so far from the truth.” He said he has received death threats online against his wife and kids.

Brad Alan Cox has been with Dallas Fire Rescue since 2002.(Torralva, Krista)

Assistant City Attorney Gregory Martin and Cox’s attorney, Robert Rogers, argued over whether Cox used unnecessary force. Martin argued the public had access to the video footage and was “furious.” He said city officials were concerned Cox’s reinstatement would condone bad behavior.

Advertisement

The city could appeal the reinstatement to state district court but Cox would still rejoin DFR during the process, according to the civil service office website. The city attorney’s office declined to comment whether it plans to appeal.

Cox’s firing

Dallas Fire-Rescue Section Chief Cynthia Coronado, the primary investigator, said she looked at the case “almost microscopically,” considering the entire interaction. She said while she understood his explanation, he violated department policy engaging with Vess after police arrived.

“It was force, I say unnecessary, because that’s not his job,” Coronado said. Cox and Rogers told the judge police didn’t act with urgency and that Cox didn’t have training for “use-of-force” situations like police.

Jim McDade, head of the Dallas Fire Fighters Association, told The News after the hearing he believed Cox was “the only one to take control” and Vess acted aggressively.

Martin, the assistant city attorney, said that while Cox didn’t face criminal consequences, it doesn’t mean he should remain on the job.

Advertisement

Vess was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a public servant and hospitalized overnight before being jailed.

The Dallas County District Attorney’s Office dismissed the case against Vess in 2021. A Dallas County grand jury chose not to indict Cox last year on a felony charge of injury to a disabled person.

The News’ investigation found that Cox had a history of disciplinary problems. Cox was on probation for tampering with government documents when he kicked Vess. That case is related to his treatment of another homeless man who later died after Cox and another paramedic denied him medical care. Cox completed the probation in 2020. His probation required him to avoid “injurious or vicious behavior.”

    Experts debate in court if knee on man’s back led to his death in Dallas police custody
    What we know about the civil trial of four Dallas officers accused in Tony Timpa’s death



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Dallas, TX

Pinwheels of Hope campaign in Dallas raises awareness for National Child Abuse Prevention Month

Published

on

Pinwheels of Hope campaign in Dallas raises awareness for National Child Abuse Prevention Month


April is National Child Abuse Prevention Month, and the Dallas Children’s Advocacy Center and Galleria Dallas have teamed up to raise awareness.

For over three decades, DCAC has taken action to protect children.

“Our mission is to improve the lives of child abuse victims and their families in Dallas County, and also provide national leadership on child abuse matters,” said Irish Burch, President and CEO of DCAC. 

As part of its collaboration with Galleria Dallas, the center is running a campaign called “Pinwheels of Hope.”

Advertisement

Friday and Saturday from 10 a.m. – 5 p.m. the Galleria is hosting their “Good Market.” It’s a pop-up market to help raise funds for the center.

“We’ll have over ten different vendors. Everything ranging from baby items to clothing, jewelry and even food items,” said Holly Quartaro, Fashion and Lifestyle Director at the Galleria.

Ten percent of everything sold will go back to the center, and every penny counts says Burch because families are never charged for the services they receive.

“Over the 100 children and families that have come through our doors, we’ve been able to provide those services for those families because of the support that we receive from the communities,” said Burch.

Throughout April, the center has a big push to spread awareness and shed light on the facts surrounding child abuse.

Advertisement

“The average child that we see is going to be a 14-year-old female that’s been sexually abused by someone she knows and trusts,” said Burch.

As the fight on child abuse prevention continues Burch encourages everyone to take part.

“We all have a responsibility, so it’s not just enough for the professionals to be in this fight. We can only do this when everyone takes note, and everyone recognizes the signs and symptoms of abuse.” 

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

New outlook on economic impact of FIFA World Cup 2026 Dallas

Published

on

New outlook on economic impact of FIFA World Cup 2026 Dallas



New outlook on economic impact of FIFA World Cup 2026 Dallas – CBS Texas

Advertisement














Advertisement


























Watch CBS News


Millions are being invested in Dallas. Safety and security plans are underway, as well as new construction at Kay Bailey Hutchinson.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Advertisement

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Dallas, TX

Laid-off Dallas employees of the Department of Education leave office for the last time

Published

on

Laid-off Dallas employees of the Department of Education leave office for the last time


Civil rights attorney Melissa Malonson emptied her desk at the downtown Dallas office of the U.S. Department of Education on Tuesday morning, stuffing her life’s work into cardboard boxes.

Malonson, who worked for the department for 25 years, packed planners, textbooks and certificates. In one box, a crayon drawing from her daughter was tucked next to a framed certificate marking ten years of service with the Education Department from 2009.

She walked out of the office at 1201 Elm St. for the last time with about two dozen supporters — mostly other federal employees — cheering for her.

Malonson, 51, burst into tears. Her aunt hugged her and said, “We got you. We got you.”

Advertisement

The Education Lab

Receive our in-depth coverage of education issues and stories that affect North Texans.

Malonson was one of more than 4,000 federal employees laid off in March when the Education Department eliminated six of its regional offices, including Dallas.

President Donald Trump signed an executive order to abolish the department shortly after. That order is being challenged in court.

“Students and parents are the ones that are going to suffer,” Malonson said. “The bulk of what we do is help disabled kids.”

Advertisement
U.S. Education Department to lay off all Dallas employees amid widespread national cuts

The department’s Office of Civil Rights enforces federal laws that protect students against discrimination. It responds to complaints based on race, disability, age and national origin discrimination, among others.

Texas has more than a thousand cases under review at OCR. More than half are related to students with disabilities whose families reported concerns about improper restraint, harassment, denial of benefits, challenges to accessing free and appropriate education, and more.

As a lawyer for the department, Malonson helped make schools more accessible for children with disabilities by investigating claims and working with school system leaders to implement changes.

That included adapting playgrounds and ensuring school personnel carried insulin when going on field trips with students who have diabetes, she said.

Will U.S. Education Department staff cuts limit options for kids with disabilities?

The now former employees of the Dallas office are unsure who will tackle its most fundamental work, including handling civil rights complaints for students with disabilities and managing student financial aid.

Advertisement

Trump said at the order signing that much of the department’s work would go to states or other federal agencies. The move is part of his effort to downsize and streamline the federal government. For example, the administration previously announced hundreds of millions of dollars in cuts to contracts with the Department of Education.

Before closing, those working for the Office for Civil Rights in the Dallas office investigated cases across Texas and in other southern states.

People have emailed Malonson in recent weeks, asking about the status of their civil rights complaints, she said. Malonson doesn’t know where those cases will go now.

Department of Education officials did not immediately respond to requests for comment over email.

Former staffers worry that civil rights investigations, which often take months or years to complete, will stall under the cuts. Families were frustrated with the delays even before Trump’s administration eliminated several regional offices.

Advertisement
North Texas families still await action years after reporting discrimination at schools

Cynthia Thornton spent 17 years at the office working on getting financial aid into the hands of students so they could attend college.

When she walked into the building to turn in her laptop and a company credit card Tuesday, she wondered who would make sure “students get the money they deserve.”

“I just hope the administration will continue to advocate for the students and not let predatory and proprietary lenders and schools take advantage of students,” Thornton said. “It’s in the administration’s hands.”

Malonson thought about how being an attorney for the department was her first job after graduating from law school at the University of Texas at Austin in 1999.

Born and raised in Carrollton, she worked her way up from general attorney to supervisor attorney.

Advertisement

On Tuesday, she pulled out a photograph with a mentor who guided her during her first years from her boxes of belongings. It brought her to tears.

“This was my career,” she said. “This was my dream job, and I was really good at it, too.”

The DMN Education Lab deepens the coverage and conversation about urgent education issues critical to the future of North Texas.

The DMN Education Lab is a community-funded journalism initiative, with support from Bobby and Lottye Lyle, Communities Foundation of Texas, The Dallas Foundation, Dallas Regional Chamber, Deedie Rose, Garrett and Cecilia Boone, Judy and Jim Gibbs, The Meadows Foundation, The Murrell Foundation, Ron and Phyllis Steinhart, Solutions Journalism, Network, Southern Methodist University, Sydney Smith Hicks, and the University of Texas at Dallas. The Dallas Morning News retains full editorial control of the Education Lab’s journalism.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending