Connect with us

Atlanta, GA

Atlanta mayor calls for moratorium on homeless encampment sweeps, organizers want more done

Published

on

Atlanta mayor calls for moratorium on homeless encampment sweeps, organizers want more done


Mayor Andre Dickens is responding to community organizers calling for the city to stop sweeps of homeless encampments after a man died last week.

Mayor Dickens released a video on his Instagram page Friday night.

“This terrible tragedy demonstrates the need to reevaluate and reassess our city’s policies concerning homeless encampments and how we can better our unhoused population,” Mayor Dickens said.

The tragedy he is referring to is the death of 49-year-old Cornelius Taylor.

Advertisement

Taylor was killed when a city bulldozer ran over his tent during a sweep of a homeless encampment near Ebenezer Baptist Church on Jan. 16. Some advocates believe the city was trying to clean up the area in advance of MLK festivities planned the next week.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Mayor Dickens called for city council “to conduct a complete review of encampment closures, rehousing, and how we care for the unsheltered,” and he also called for a moratorium on all homeless encampment sweeps while the city figures out a plan.

Mayor Dickens called encampments “incredibly unsafe” for the people who live in them as well as the communities around them.

However, he said, “Homelessness is not a crime…but make no mistake we must do everything we can to safely and humanely close these encampments and provide housing and stability to our neighbors who have found themselves out in the cold.”

Advertisement

The encampment removed on the 16th is rebuilt now. A memorial now stands for Taylor mere feet away from where he died. Channel 2′s Eryn Rogers spoke with some of the people who have lived in the encampment about Taylor’s death.

“It’s been hard for the community because it reinforces the idea that they don’t care about us,” said Benjamin Graham, who said he knew Taylor for the better part of a decade.

Organizers who work with the people living in the encampment say more could have been done sooner and this tragedy could have been prevented.

“We’re well beyond a day late and a dollar short,” said Nolan English, the founder of Traveling Grace Ministries. “We’ve been telling the mayor to stop sweeps.”

TRENDING STORIES:

Advertisement

Organizers went to City Hall this past Thursday with Taylor’s family. They wanted to deliver a letter to the mayor and meet with him. However, they said they were blocked.

“We were greeted with not one, but a dozen police officers that created a line and said we could not pass, really a bizarre thing to witness in the people’s house,” said organizer Tim Franzen.

Organizers said Taylor’s family now feels disrespected by the mayor and city, and organizers say they want to see action put behind the mayor’s video.

“We ought to be moving people from homelessness to self-sufficiency,” English said. “We’re not doing that because we’re not paying attention to where the true need is.”

In the video, the mayor also reiterated the city’s investment of $60 million to help end homelessness.

Advertisement

Organizers said that money needs to be used correctly.

“Funding wise it’s more than enough, but we have to direct our funds towards the actual cost of getting people off the streets, wrap around services,” English said.

English said the current housing options for unhoused people are only temporary. He said he has crunched the numbers and spoken to property owners.

He said the city could permanently house around 3000 people for the amount they are investing.

Organizers said there are also other factors that need to be funded to truly help people permanently transition out of homelessness.

Advertisement

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

“There should be a budget to pay case managers to come into these villages, one on one work with these people, so it doesn’t take a year and a half to get an apartment,” said Elisabeth Omilami with Hosea Helps.

People who live in the encampment say they need to trust the people who are helping them, especially after the tragedy with Taylor.

“There’s a lot going on back here, there’s trauma, there’s mental health, addiction, and the help that comes in, there’s got to be a connection,” Graham said.

English said he would estimate there are around 4500 to 5000 unhoused people living in Atlanta.

Advertisement

Taylor’s funeral will be February 3 at Ebenezer Baptist Church.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Atlanta, GA

Developer hopes to create a ‘city within the city’ along Atlanta’s Beltline

Published

on

Developer hopes to create a ‘city within the city’ along Atlanta’s Beltline


From thousands of affordable and luxury housing units to a community with schools, restaurants, and hotels, a developer wants to transform dozens of acres of property along the Beltline in Southwest Atlanta.

The 25-acre property off Sylvan Road SW currently includes vacant lots and empty warehouses.

However, developer Mike Abebe hopes to transform his property into a community where people can live, work, and play.

“This would impact the whole city of Atlanta,” Abebe said.

Advertisement

The high school dropout and Ethiopian immigrant is one of the largest single private landowners in the city and said he plans to create a development that promotes investment in the inner city of Atlanta.

“For me, my entire career has been in inner cities, and I’ve seen inner cities being de-invested instead of invested in,” added Abebe.

Abebe is partnering with the architectural firm Perkins and Will to design the renderings of the proposed development.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

He plans to create over 4,000 residential units, which will include both luxury and affordable housing, in addition to places for people to work and send their children to school.

Advertisement

“If you live here, we want to create enough jobs so you can work here. And if you’re a single mom, you can drop off your child by walking. You can pick up your child by walking,” Abebe shared.

Members of the Atlanta City Council recently reviewed the request to allow a zoning change for the development of the land.

If the zoning application is approved, Abebe said he wants construction on phase one of the project to begin in the spring of 2026.

He said the project is estimated to cost over $1 billion and will take about 10 years to complete.

“We have a lot of international investment interest because of the sheer scale and size of this,” Abebe said.

Advertisement

TRENDING STORIES:

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]



Source link

Continue Reading

Atlanta, GA

Anthony Davis and Dereck Lively’s Status Revealed For Tonight’s Game vs Atlanta

Published

on

Anthony Davis and Dereck Lively’s Status Revealed For Tonight’s Game vs Atlanta


After being listed on the injury report coming into tonight’s game vs the Hawks, the Mavericks have updated the status of both Anthony Davis and Dereck Lively. They are both available to play, but Lively will have a 15-minute limit tonight. Earlier today, the Mavs ruled out P.J. Washington.

The Hawks were beaten up on the glass last night vs Portland and had a poor three-point shooting night. Can they turn those things around tonight vs Dallas?

It was an ugly night for the Hawks on offense, shooting 44% from the field and 22% (7-32) from three, as well as committing 19 turnovers, of which Portland scored 23 points. While the three-point shooting and the turnovers were a big problem, the rebounding was arguably the biggest reason the Hawks lost. Portland outrebounded the Hawks 54-45, including 19 offensive rebounds for the Blazers. Portland shot the ball 11 more times than the Hawks and hit six more threes as well. When you lose the possession battle and the three-point battle, it almost guarantees a loss.

Advertisement

Trae Young scored 29 points (7-20 shooting) and handed out 15 assists. Dyson Daniels had 22 points, 10 rebounds, and three steals. No other Hawk had more than 13 points. It was a rough night for Zaccharie Risacher, who scored just nine points one game after setting his career high against Milwaukee. The Hawks’ bench was mostly non-existent tonight, as none of Caris LeVert, Georges Niang, Vit Krejci, Terance Mann, or Dominick Barlow were particularly effective.

Dyson Daniels Or Cade Cunningham For MIP? Zach Lowe Says, “Nobody Has Made A Bigger Leap Than Dyson.”

Hawks Fall to Blazers As Portland Gets Big Nights From Shaedon Sharpe and Deni Avdija

Another Award For The Great Barrier Thief: Dyson Daniels Named Defensive Player of the Month For March





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Atlanta, GA

Atlanta Braves Holdings acquires six-building ‘Pennant Park’ office complex adjacent to The Battery Atlanta

Published

on

Atlanta Braves Holdings acquires six-building ‘Pennant Park’ office complex adjacent to The Battery Atlanta


ATLANTA, Georgia (April 2, 2025) – Atlanta Braves Holdings, Inc. (Nasdaq: BATRA, BATRK) today announced the Braves Development Company’s acquisition of Pennant Park, a six-building office complex located at the intersection of I-75 and I-285 adjacent to The Battery Atlanta. Owned by Rubenstein Partners since 2017, Pennant Park features 763,465



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending