Connect with us

Science

Amid E. coli outbreak, California-based Raw Farm voluntarily recalls cheddar cheese

Published

on

Amid E. coli outbreak, California-based Raw Farm voluntarily recalls cheddar cheese

Yes, Mark McAfee is pulling his cheese.

No, he is not happy about it.

The U.S. Food and Drug Administration asked McAfee’s Fresno-based Raw Farm weeks ago to voluntarily withdraw its unpasteurized cheese products from the market as the agency investigates an E. coli outbreak that has sickened nine people in three states — seven of them in California.

The U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has warned the public not to buy, sell or serve the company’s raw cheddar cheese, which five of those who had an E. coli infection say they ate before their illness.

For three weeks, McAfee refused to abide by the government’s wishes. But on Friday he finally relented, saying he has “involuntarily” recalled seven batches of cheese, even though the FDA has yet to confirm that E. coli has been found in any Raw Farm products. The agency has not issued a formal recall, though it has sent out a warning letter telling customers to avoid Raw Farm products purchased on or after Jan. 4, particularly raw milk cheddar cheese.

Advertisement

“This Voluntary Recall is being performed under protest,” the company wrote in an announcement posted Friday by the FDA. “This Voluntary Recall is performed as a path forward.”

McAfee said he tests every batch of milk that comes out of his milking parlors, and none has been positive for E. coli, salmonella, campylobacter, listeria or any other contaminant that causes human illness. He has shared those results with both the FDA and state regulators, he said.

He said the agency came to his farm and “spent nearly a week” reviewing his tests.

“They were very impressed,” he said.

“There’s no pathogenic bacteria correlating us to anybody,” said McAfee. “What they did was a backdoor move. They said, ‘We’ll just let everybody know we’re concerned,’ and that is enough to have stores kick you out.”

Advertisement

The FDA has not yet responded to requests for comment.

Last month, the FDA and CDC announced an investigation into an E. coli outbreak that since September has sickened nine people in California, Florida and Texas, three of whom have been hospitalized. More than half the cases are children aged 5 or younger. One patient required treatment for hemolytic uremic syndrome, a serious kidney complication.

Genome sequencing of E. coli isolated from each patient found that the strains were closely genetically related, suggesting that all of the ill people were exposed to the same source of infection.

State and local public health officials were able to interview eight patients or their caregivers. All said they’d consumed raw dairy products before falling ill. Two whose illness started in late 2025 said they drank Raw Farm’s raw milk, and five who fell sick in 2026 had eaten the company’s raw cheddar. (The eighth couldn’t recall the brand of the raw milk they drank.)

While testing of retail samples of Raw Farm cheese on sale in March found no E. coli, California has not ruled out the farm as the outbreak’s source given the number of patients who consumed its products before infection, a California Department of Public Health spokesperson said.

Advertisement

“Retail cheese samples collected do not represent all raw cheese products sold by Raw Farm and may have been from different lots of production than those consumed by ill persons,” the agency said in a statement. “CDPH considers Raw Farm raw dairy the source of the outbreak based on this strong epidemiologic data, despite the negative laboratory testing results from a limited sample of retail products.”

Raw, or unpasteurized, dairy has not undergone the heating process that kills harmful bacteria while leaving nutrients largely intact. Raw Farm’s products alone have been associated with at least 239 reported cases of food poisoning since 2006, including a salmonella outbreak in October 2024 that sickened 171 people, according to Bill Marler, a food safety lawyer with Seattle-based MarlerClark.

He said the FDA’s decision to send out a warning letter instead of issuing a recall is “completely normal,” and the agency is very conservative when it comes to food safety.

“It makes sense, under the circumstances, to pull the product from the shelves,” he said of grocery stores. “Hell, if I was a retailer, I would pull it, because the last thing you’d want to do is have the product on the shelf, have it test positive for some E. coli, and have it poison some little kid and who then gets kidney failure.”

Proponents of raw dairy have long insisted that it prevents allergies and promotes beneficial bacteria, claims that are not supported by research. They include U.S. Health and Human Services Secretary Robert F. Kennedy Jr., a longtime fan who celebrated the release of the 2025 “MAHA Report” with a shot of raw milk.

Advertisement

McAfee was among those hopeful that Kennedy’s tenure would usher in a more favorable regulatory environment for raw dairy producers. But despite having been contacted by Kennedy surrogates before Trump’s second inauguration, he’s not heard from them since.

He said the administration has done little to promote raw dairy as part of a revamped food policy that emphasizes meat and whole-fat milk as essential for a healthy diet.

The FDA’s webpage about raw dairy was last updated during the Biden administration, and cautions people to avoid raw milk products and dispels research claiming it is healthy.

“They fired their best people at FDA and hired some good people and weird people and whatever,” McAfee said. “It’s so emblematic of a three-ring circus. The entire freaking administration is showing that through their lack of consistency, the lack of policy adherence, they just do what the hell they want to do.”

What has changed under the new administration is the FDA’s ability to carry out investigations like the one it says it has initiated at Raw Farm. Inspections, lab work and outbreak investigations are among the agency functions most hindered by significant staff reductions that have taken place since Trump took office, industry experts have warned.

Advertisement

The Department of Health and Human Services has lost 18,200 employees since Trump took office, according to the Department of Personnel Management’s Federal Workforce Data tool. More than 3,000 of those losses were at the CDC, and about 4,500 were at the FDA.

Science

Caltech could lose control of JPL for the first time

Published

on

Caltech could lose control of JPL for the first time

The contract for management and operation of NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory will be opened up to a competitive bidding process for the first time in its history, the space agency announced on Friday.

The action forces Caltech to compete for control of the La Cañada Flintridge institution it has managed since NASA’s inception in 1958.

“The rapid growth of the U.S. space economy indicates there may now be a viable competitive market for programmatic and institutional elements,” NASA said in a statement. “This decision is part of a broader governmentwide and agency effort to find efficiencies, strengthen performance, and drive mission outcomes faster and more affordably.”

In a joint statement, Caltech President Thomas F. Rosenbaum and JPL Director Dave Gallagher said that the announcement came as “no surprise” and that it already had a team in place “to ensure we are positioned for success” in the bidding process.

“Over the course of our nearly seven-decade-long partnership with NASA, Caltech and JPL have led humanity’s exploration and understanding of the universe — and our place within it,” the Pasadena university said. “The ambitions ahead — no less bold than those we have already realized— are ones we are fully prepared to meet.”

Advertisement

The competition for the contract is part of a slate of changes NASA Administrator Jared Isaacman announced on Friday, including a massive reorganization of the space agency intended “to concentrate resources towards the highest priority objectives in the National Space Policy and liberate the best and brightest from needless bureaucracy and obstacles that impede progress,” Isaacman wrote in a letter to the agency’s roughly 18,000 employees.

JPL was founded by Caltech researchers in 1936, and became part of NASA when the space agency was formed in 1958. Its current 10-year contract with NASA, which is valued at up to $30 billion, runs through Sept. 30, 2028.

Times staff writer Noah Haggerty contributed to this report.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Science

Feds declare Eaton fire was a cleanup success. Their testing shows otherwise

Published

on

Feds declare Eaton fire was a cleanup success. Their testing shows otherwise

Despite finding nearly one in five homes had excessive levels of lead, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency this week claimed that recent soil testing in Altadena proved that expedited federal cleanup efforts had effectively removed toxic ash and debris from homes destroyed by the deadly Eaton fire.

Earlier this year, the EPA announced it would perform a limited soil sampling at 100 destroyed homes across the burn zone in order to verify that contractors had thoroughly mitigated toxic substances. In a recent news release, the EPA said that testing revealed median lead concentrations below federal standards, and “confirmed that cleanup methods successfully addressed contamination and verified cleanup protocols.”

The EPA soil sampling comes amid mounting pressure from residents and environmentalists who claim that a hasty federal cleanup effort had left behind or spread hazardous fire debris. Internal government reports also raised questions about the thoroughness of the cleanup.

The EPA did not release its report to the public, but it said 95 of 100 soil samples collected near the surface of the home’s building footprint were below the federal lead screening level.

Advertisement

“I think for the folks in Altadena who maybe had some concerns about the adequacy of the work that was performed by the federal government in removing ash and debris — I think they should feel confident that those areas of their property are safe to use now,” said Mike Montgomery, EPA Superfund and emergency management director.

In announcing its findings, the EPA cited federal lead standards only, and not California’s more stringent thresholds. Of the 100 homes sampled, 17 had lead levels above 80 milligrams per kilogram, California’s benchmark for residential properties. The highest concentration of lead was 705 milligrams per kilogram — nearly nine times higher than the state standard and triple the federal threshold, according to a copy of the report that was reviewed by The Times.

The results unnerved some Altadena residents, who see more and more fire-destroyed homes being rebuilt. Joy Chen, executive director of Eaton Fire Survivors Network, called on federal officials to release the full report and provide additional resources to address elevated contamination.

“From the beginning, people have been very worried that they [federal workers] did not thoroughly clear these sites. Now 16 months later, people are taking it upon themselves to test or bioremediate to ensure it’s safe to rebuild. Most of us don’t have the resources to make those decisions,” Chen said.

“It would’ve been much easier if homes had been cleared to safe levels the first time around.”

Advertisement

EPA officials said the agency had notified Altadena property owners of their soil test results and encouraged them to review local public health guidance. Montgomery said EPA officials would proactively reach out to property owners whose lots had lead levels above the federal benchmark of 200 milligrams per kilogram.

Federal disaster officials say that some toxic substances within the burn zone could have been deposited there long before the fire — the result perhaps of decades of burning leaded gasoline or lead paint.

The Federal Emergency Management Agency had refused repeatedly to pay for post-cleanup soil testing and broke from long-standing California fire recovery protocols that are intended to protect returning residents from toxic substances. FEMA, along with the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers and the EPA, had touted the fire recovery as the fastest in modern history.

Disaster crews removed millions of tons of fire debris from nearly 9,700 properties affected by the Eaton and Palisades fires in roughly eight months.

But hundreds of disaster victims had complained about substandard work from federal cleanup workers, and internal government reports said crews had left debris behind and, in at least one instance, dumped ash on a neighbor’s property.

Advertisement

In January — shortly after the one-year anniversary of the fires — the EPA announced that it would perform soil testing for lead at 100 randomly-selected homes that were destroyed in the Eaton fire and later cleared of debris by federal contractors. The announcement followed months of criticism that federal cleanup workers had mishandled debris — including dumping fire debris and contaminated pool water on neighboring properties.

The Los Angeles Times collected soil samples in March 2025 and published the first evidence that already-remediated home sites retained elevated levels of toxic substances. Los Angeles County, UCLA, USC and several other organizations launched their own soil testing efforts, and all found elevated levels of lead at homes that had already been remediated by federal cleanup crews.

Lead is a potent neurotoxin that can stunt the brain development and lead to behavioral issues in young children that inhale or ingest it. When the Eaton fire burned through Altadena’s historic neighborhoods, it destroyed many homes that were coated in toxic lead paint. Plumes of smoke and ash then deposited the heavy metal across the burn zone.

Dr. Nichole Quick, chief medical advisor for the Los Angeles County Department of Public Health, encouraged property owners to seek further testing if they have concerns about contamination, including free testing services provided by local universities.

Quick said residents can take steps to limit their exposure, such as washing dusty equipment and keeping cleaning floors and other surfaces clean.

Advertisement

“Guidance is really geared towards how you interrupt that ingestion exposure, so we’re talking about a high-risk group, our kids with developing brains, pregnant women,” Quick said. “Kids also happen to be the ones that crawl around on all sorts of stuff and hands directly into mouth, so a lot of what we’re talking about is stopping that sort of exposure.”

Environmental experts quickly questioned the EPA’s soil sampling approach, which drastically differed from soil testing procedures from California environmental agencies. Andrew Whelton, a Purdue University researcher who has studied environmental risk following disaster, said the EPA sampling — which only tested one mixed sample — would likely mask heavily polluted areas of the home. The agency also only tested for lead — one of 17 toxic metals typically tested for following wildfires.

“It’s apples and oranges,” Whelton said. “They [the EPA] only looked for lead and didn’t look for hot spots. The approach that EPA differs from everything that California has done for fire cleanup for the last 15 years.

“My advice to property owners who haven’t tested soil or are adjacent to the fire area is conduct soil testing as it has always been done.”

The EPA and L.A. County health department are expected to discuss the soil testing results at the Altadena town council meeting on June 16.

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Science

How a SoCal native became one of NASA’s most valuable assets

Published

on

How a SoCal native became one of NASA’s most valuable assets

One of NASA’s most valuable assets is a Southern Californian.

Following the space agency’s successful Artemis II mission around the moon last month, Victor Glover — who grew up primarily in the Inland Empire and has spent much of his career at Southern California’s many military and aerospace hubs — is now the only pilot to have flown NASA’s Orion capsule.

As the crew finishes its international victory lap before the media, Glover is preparing to put his head down and get to work training the Artemis generation of moon-faring astronauts.

Advertisement
  • Share via

Advertisement

“I think Artemis is going to demand us to change the paradigm,” he told The Times.

The International Space Station, which has been continuously inhabited by a revolving crew of astronauts in low Earth orbit for over 25 years, has a “very well-worn” training program, he said. But developing a new instructional regimen for complex high-stakes moon missions as the agency tries to aggressively ramp up Artemis launches from once every 3 1/2 years to every six months is a different beast.

“Until we get really ramped up and have a solid training program, I think astronauts need to take more ownership of the training and be involved so we can share this experience,” Glover said.

As of today, the list of Artemis astronauts is only four people long. And the list of Artemis pilots has only one name: Victor Glover.

Advertisement

Glover, 50, was born in Pomona, graduated from Ontario High School and lived “all over” Southern California’s urban sprawl, including Baldwin Village (which he instinctively referred to by its pre-1988 name, “The Jungle”). He completed his undergraduate studies at Cal Poly San Luis Obispo and received graduate degrees (plural) from the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey and the Air Force Test Pilot School at Edwards Air Force Base.

He cut his teeth as a test pilot at Naval Air Weapons Station China Lake, in the Mojave. After NASA selected him as an astronaut, he learned to fly SpaceX’s Dragon capsule at the company’s then-headquarters in Hawthorne before riding it to the ISS.

Glover particularly misses those test pilot days, when he was pushing the limits of the F/A-18 Hornet and Super Hornet in China Lake while completing a master’s degree on the side.

“That was actually maybe one of the best times of my career. We had our fourth daughter while we lived in China Lake,” he said. “I was … working really hard but having a ton of fun at a house full of kids.”

In one of Glover’s favorite pictures, snapped by his wife, he is sitting at his desk in his tan desert flight suit, focused on graduate school work while holding one of his daughters.

Advertisement

Glover sees himself as just one example of how the Golden State’s deserts and coastal cities have left a lasting mark on America’s space program.

“Southern California is very uniquely postured to help NASA,” Glover said. “Southern California has the combination of culture and technology — and it doesn’t hurt to have Hollywood” to help share NASA’s mission and values.

(Glover fondly recalled his joy seeing the “Iron Man” production crew, including actor and rapper Terrence Howard, roll through Edwards Air Force Base during his tenure.)

Glover, who now lives in Texas near NASA’s Johnson Space Center, is focused on bringing that SoCal sensibility and invaluable experience piloting the Orion capsule to the agency’s astronaut training program.

When asked if he hopes to fly again on an Artemis mission, he gave a simple answer: “No.”

Advertisement

There was one other thing on his to-do list, though.

“Tell L.A. I love them and all of Southern California — and I can’t wait to get back out there and visit my home state and my hometown.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending