Connect with us

Northeast

Pelican Island Bridge in Galveston struck by barge, causing portion to collapse: officials

Published

on

Pelican Island Bridge in Galveston struck by barge, causing portion to collapse: officials

A barge crashed into the Pelican Island Bridge in Galveston, Texas, on Wednesday, causing a section of the bridge, including railroad tracks, to smash down onto the barge, FOX 7 Austin reports.

Officials said there were no reports of injuries in the collision that occurred around 10 a.m. 

However, Galveston County Judge Mark Henry says two crew members did go overboard but were recovered from the water, FOX 7 Austin reports. 

BALTIMORE KEY BRIDGE COLLAPSE: BODYCAM VIDEO CAPTURES LAW ENFORCEMENT’S CONFUSION MOMENTS AFTER DISASTER

A barge crashed into the Pelican Island Bridge in Galveston, Texas, on Wednesday, causing a section of the structure to fall onto the barge, Fox 7 Austin reports. (Fox 7 Austin)

Advertisement

Henry says the collision caused oil to spill from the barge, which has a capacity of 30,000 gallons, although it is unclear how much of it went into the water. 

Video from the scene shows debris from the bridge and part of the rail tracks on top of the barge as it rests against the bridge. It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the barge to strike the bridge.

Pelican Island is north of Galveston and is connected to the city by the bridge, which is the only way people can access the island by land, and officials said the bridge has been shut down to traffic in both directions.

Texas A&M University at Galveston, which is located on Pelican Island, reported that its power was briefly shut off but has since been restored. Texas A&M University at Galveston is an ocean-oriented branch campus of Texas A&M University. 

MARYLAND: SHIP HITS FRANCIS SCOTT KEY BRIDGE, CAUSING IT TO COLLAPSE

Advertisement

Officials said the bridge was shut down to traffic in both directions. (KRIV)

The incident comes about six weeks after the Francis Scott Key Bridge collapsed in Baltimore when a Sri Lanka-bound container ship hit the structure, causing it to fall into Baltimore’s harbor, killing six construction workers.

The disaster in Baltimore and a spate of recent incidents involving barges has highlighted the vulnerability of bridges to strikes.

Just last Thursday, a barge struck the Fort Madison Bridge in Iowa and later sank in the Mississippi River.

In that incident, the U.S. Coast Guard told Fox News Digital that there were 15 barges being moved by a tug boat when one of them got loose and collided with the nearly 100-year-old bridge.

Advertisement

It wasn’t immediately clear what caused the barge to strike the bridge. (KRIV)

Last month, more than two dozen river barges broke loose from their moorings and floated down the Ohio River in Pittsburgh, striking one bridge that had already been preemptively closed and damaging a marina, officials said.

The boats eventually were pinned to the riverbank or went over a dam downstream.

Pelican Island is located north of Galveston and is connected to the city by the bridge.

Advertisement

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Pittsburg, PA

New Pittsburgh Public Schools board taking up controversial plan to close 7 schools

Published

on

New Pittsburgh Public Schools board taking up controversial plan to close 7 schools


The new Pittsburgh Public Schools board is once again taking up a controversial plan to close seven schools.  

At Pittsburgh Manchester K-8, one of the schools that could close, the hallways are mostly empty, and the building is full of classrooms that are seldom or never used. There are only nine kids in the entire second grade, seven students in the sixth grade and 13 in the eighth. The building has a capacity for 541 students but is home to only 129.

“That is a textbook example of an underutilized building, and we have about 15 schools currently that are below 200,” said Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Wayne Walters.

Manchester is one of seven schools and a total of nine underused buildings that would be closed under the district’s Future-Ready Facilities Plan. On the North Side, the plan calls for closing both Manchester and Schiller 6-8, consolidating those students at Martin Luther King and the Allegheny Traditional Academy. 

Advertisement

Walters says the plan will save the district about $8 million a year on staff salaries, utilities and maintenance costs — money which would provide more resources and better educational opportunities in these merged schools.  

“We have limited resources right now. We have a deficit, but certainly making this move will provide some savings, some savings for us to really implement the quality programming we need in this Future-Ready Facilities Plan,” Walters said.

After nearly two years of study, the board voted the plan down last November, delaying its implementation, which was planned for the 2026-27 school year. Even if the new board approves it now, it won’t go into effect until the 2027-28 school year. 

But in kicking the can down the road, the old board bent to parents and community groups like 412 Justice, who said the plan disproportionally impacted Black neighborhood schools. They’ve called for further study. 

“It’s about the plan. It’s not about keeping buildings open. It’s just that we’re not confident in the district’s ability to move 6,000 students with all these unanswered questions,” said Angel Gober with 412 Justice.   

Advertisement

But school board president Gene Walker says time has run out. Walker was unsuccessful in convincing the old board, but says the new members are keenly aware of the costs of overcapacity. Enrollment has dropped from 32,000 to 18,000 students over the past two decades, and the board can’t justify spending a significant chunk of its $731 million budget on half-empty schools.  

“I think we’re going to be able to get it through this time,” Walker said.  

Walters said if the plan doesn’t go through, the district could be in trouble. 

“I think we’re going to be forced to answer some really challenging questions about our future as a district,” Walters said. 

The board will discuss the plan on Wednesday night in anticipation of a final approval vote next week. The board president believes the board will do what the district says is the right thing. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Man killed in Glastonbury crash

Published

on

Man killed in Glastonbury crash


A man is dead after a crash in Glastonbury on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The crash happened around 2:45 p.m. in the area of Hebron Avenue and Glenwood Road. First responders were called in response to the report of a crash with injuries.

When police arrived at the scene, they found an 84-year-old man driving one of the vehicles. He was unconscious and was rushed to an area hospital. A passenger in the same vehicle was also taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Police said that, according to an investigation, the 84-year-old driver was traveling east on Hebron Avenue when he turned left onto Glenwood Road. As he turned, he drove into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Advertisement

The crash redirected the 84-year-old’s vehicle into a third vehicle.

Police said the man later died at the hospital. He hasn’t been identified at this time.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

South Portland discusses use of Flock cameras in city

Published

on

South Portland discusses use of Flock cameras in city


SOUTH PORTLAND (WGME) – South Portland will be discussing the use of Flock cameras in the city Tuesday night.

The cameras use AI to track license plates and are currently being used in a handful of Maine communities.

The South Portland Police Department already has seven Flock cameras installed across the city.

These cameras help police find stolen cars, missing people and assist in criminal investigations.

Advertisement

South Portland’s city manager initially requested an additional Flock camera this year, but the city council canceled that funding after hearing residents’ concerns.

The new Flock camera would have cost around $4,000.

Many residents raised concerns about data sharing, privacy, public safety and transparency.

Tuesday night, the city will host a workshop to discuss the issues around these cameras.

The contract for the other seven Flock cameras expires in June of next year.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending