Connect with us

Northeast

New School anti-Israel protesters, faculty occupy campus building in NYC: report

Published

on

New School anti-Israel protesters, faculty occupy campus building in NYC: report

Anti-Israel protesters and faculty at The New School in New York reportedly are occupying one of the institution’s buildings in an attempt to get its board of trustees to vote on divesting from companies supporting the Jewish State. 

The occupation of the Welcome Center in Manhattan comes as two anti-Israel encampments have been ongoing at The New School – one led by students, and the other by faculty. 

A report by The New School Free Press student newspaper said the occupiers were letting people out of the building on Tuesday night but not letting anyone inside. 

The New School did not immediately respond Wednesday to a request for comment from Fox News Digital. 

COLUMBIA PRESIDENT ‘SORRY’ FOR CANCELED COMMENCEMENT DURING ANTI-ISRAEL PROTESTS, NOW FACES ‘HARD QUESTIONS’ 

Advertisement

Anti-Israel protesters are seen at The New School in New York City on May 8. (Selcuk Acar/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Those occupying the Welcome Center – which is the first stop on campus tours and houses multiple offices, including admissions – have renamed the building the “Lama Jamous Center” in reference to a 9-year-old Palestinian girl who has been reporting on the war in Gaza, according to The New School Free Press. 

They want the private university to divest from companies that are backing Israel and are now hanging a Palestinian flag from the upper levels of the Welcome Center, it added. 

JUSTICE ALITO WARNS COLLEGE STUDENTS THAT ‘SUPPORT FOR FREEDOM OF SPEECH IS DECLINING’ 

Anti-Israel protesters are seen at The New School in New York City on May 8. They have now occupied a building there, reports say. (Selcuk Acar/Anadolu via Getty Images)

Advertisement

The continued anti-Israel protests at The New School come as it is preparing to host its commencement ceremonies this Friday. 

Graduation events at other colleges in Manhattan, such as Columbia University, have been frequently disrupted by anti-Israel protesters. 

Earlier this month, the New York Police Department was called to break up anti-Israel protests at The New School and New York University. 

An anti-Israel encampment at The New School in New York. (Selcuk Acar/Anadolu via Getty Images)

 

Advertisement

After the operations, NYPD Chief of Patrol John Chell told reporters that police took the actions “at the request of school presidents” and ultimately arrested 56 people, with no incidents. 

Fox News’ CB Cotton and Lawrence Richard contributed to this report. 

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

Unresponsive teenage boy pulled from pond in Andover, Massachusetts

Published

on

Unresponsive teenage boy pulled from pond in Andover, Massachusetts



An unresponsive teenage boy was pulled from a pond in Andover, Massachusetts on Tuesday afternoon. It happened at Field Pond in Harold Parker State Forest at about 4:30 p.m. near Farrwood Drive.

Advertisement

When Andover Police officers and firefighters arrived, they found several boys who were on the opposite shoreline yelling to them. They were attempting to direct them to where the boy was last seen before he went underwater.

First responders went into the water with a paddleboard and made their way out to the area where the boy was last seen. The boy was found about 25 feet from shore, submerged in about 10-12 feet of water.

The boy was pulled from the pond and taken back to shore on the paddleboard. Andover Police said they immediately began lifesaving procedures. The boy was transported to Lawrence General Hospital and then to a Boston hospital by Medflight.

The news was shocking to fisherman Fred Menis. He said the pond has, “a lot of weeds, a lot of rocks, a lot of debris underneath.

He said that while swimming is common in some areas of the pond, it is typically busy and filled with boats. “Usually, there should be enough kayakers and surfboards out here that somebody should have been around to help out,” Menis said.

Advertisement

Many of the teen boys were still on Farrwood Drive Tuesday evening in a very emotional state. Many of them were still wearing swim trunks as they spoke to police, before being picked up by parents. 

The incident remains under investigation, and no other information has been released.



Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

New Pittsburgh Public Schools board taking up controversial plan to close 7 schools

Published

on

New Pittsburgh Public Schools board taking up controversial plan to close 7 schools


The new Pittsburgh Public Schools board is once again taking up a controversial plan to close seven schools.  

At Pittsburgh Manchester K-8, one of the schools that could close, the hallways are mostly empty, and the building is full of classrooms that are seldom or never used. There are only nine kids in the entire second grade, seven students in the sixth grade and 13 in the eighth. The building has a capacity for 541 students but is home to only 129.

“That is a textbook example of an underutilized building, and we have about 15 schools currently that are below 200,” said Pittsburgh Public Schools Superintendent Dr. Wayne Walters.

Manchester is one of seven schools and a total of nine underused buildings that would be closed under the district’s Future-Ready Facilities Plan. On the North Side, the plan calls for closing both Manchester and Schiller 6-8, consolidating those students at Martin Luther King and the Allegheny Traditional Academy. 

Advertisement

Walters says the plan will save the district about $8 million a year on staff salaries, utilities and maintenance costs — money which would provide more resources and better educational opportunities in these merged schools.  

“We have limited resources right now. We have a deficit, but certainly making this move will provide some savings, some savings for us to really implement the quality programming we need in this Future-Ready Facilities Plan,” Walters said.

After nearly two years of study, the board voted the plan down last November, delaying its implementation, which was planned for the 2026-27 school year. Even if the new board approves it now, it won’t go into effect until the 2027-28 school year. 

But in kicking the can down the road, the old board bent to parents and community groups like 412 Justice, who said the plan disproportionally impacted Black neighborhood schools. They’ve called for further study. 

“It’s about the plan. It’s not about keeping buildings open. It’s just that we’re not confident in the district’s ability to move 6,000 students with all these unanswered questions,” said Angel Gober with 412 Justice.   

Advertisement

But school board president Gene Walker says time has run out. Walker was unsuccessful in convincing the old board, but says the new members are keenly aware of the costs of overcapacity. Enrollment has dropped from 32,000 to 18,000 students over the past two decades, and the board can’t justify spending a significant chunk of its $731 million budget on half-empty schools.  

“I think we’re going to be able to get it through this time,” Walker said.  

Walters said if the plan doesn’t go through, the district could be in trouble. 

“I think we’re going to be forced to answer some really challenging questions about our future as a district,” Walters said. 

The board will discuss the plan on Wednesday night in anticipation of a final approval vote next week. The board president believes the board will do what the district says is the right thing. 

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Man killed in Glastonbury crash

Published

on

Man killed in Glastonbury crash


A man is dead after a crash in Glastonbury on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The crash happened around 2:45 p.m. in the area of Hebron Avenue and Glenwood Road. First responders were called in response to the report of a crash with injuries.

When police arrived at the scene, they found an 84-year-old man driving one of the vehicles. He was unconscious and was rushed to an area hospital. A passenger in the same vehicle was also taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Police said that, according to an investigation, the 84-year-old driver was traveling east on Hebron Avenue when he turned left onto Glenwood Road. As he turned, he drove into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Advertisement

The crash redirected the 84-year-old’s vehicle into a third vehicle.

Police said the man later died at the hospital. He hasn’t been identified at this time.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending