Connect with us

New Jersey

Pedestrian struck and killed on Route 30 in Absecon, New Jersey

Published

on

Pedestrian struck and killed on Route 30 in Absecon, New Jersey


The cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Saturday, June 8, 2024 5:27PM

Pedestrian struck and killed on Route 30 in Absecon, New Jersey

Advertisement

ABSECON, New Jersey (WPVI) — A pedestrian was struck and killed on Route 30 in Absecon, New Jersey.

It happened around 10:45 p.m. Friday in the eastbound lane of Route 30 near Delilah Road.

The driver remained on the scene.

The cause of the accident remains under investigation.

Both lanes of Route 30 were shut down during the investigation, but have since reopened.

Advertisement

Copyright © 2024 WPVI-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

New Jersey

NJ, NY governors cut World Cup transit costs. Where is host committee?

Published

on

NJ, NY governors cut World Cup transit costs. Where is host committee?


New Jersey and New York’s respective governors made competing announcements on the evening of May 12 about how they went to great lengths to lower the prices of tickets to transport people to the 2026 World Cup matches at MetLife Stadium.

Conspicuously missing from these announcements was the New York-New Jersey host committee, a nonprofit with a wide-ranging role to hunt down practice fields for teams; coordinate multiple local, state and federal agencies; and execute FIFA’s vision for its tournament, the most popular sporting event in the world, which is taking place in 16 cities across Mexico, Canada and the United States this June and July.

Another key host committee task is raising money to support fan events at the stadium and watch parties around the region, and to help pay for logistical needs, such as security and FIFA-required modifications to the stadium and field.

Advertisement

It has also played a critical role in coordinating transportation plans, announcing its own shuttle bus network to the stadium that it will operate at a loss, according to Natalie Hamilton, a host committee spokeswoman. The committee announced last month it will provide NJ Transit with $3.6 million to help pay for discounts for commuters who will be inconvenienced by the matches, which are forcing trains to divert to other stations while Secaucus Junction and New York Penn Station partially close except to match-goers.

So it was striking when New Jersey Gov. Mikie Sherrill announced that seven corporations had suddenly stepped up to donate money to bring down the cost of NJ Transit’s ticket to MetLife for match-goers to $98, and New York Gov. Kathy Hochul announced she would throw in $6 million in taxpayer money to bring down the ticket price of stadium-bound shuttle buses to $20.

Story continues below photo gallery.

Securing those donations and partnerships with corporate sponsors and finding ways to cut prices for fans is among the primary tasks of the host committee. So, what happened?

Advertisement

In a statement through a spokesperson, the host committee said it has been “working aggressively with public and private partners to make transportation more affordable for fans,” and that this is a “uniquely complex region, and a public-transportation-first event due to an expanded stadium activations and an enhanced security footprint.”

“The recent price reductions were not automatic — they were the result of coordination between the host committee, government and private-sector partners,” the statement said. “The host committee helped facilitate the partnership with Highland Bus and supported the effort to expand capacity and lower the price point.

“On the rail side, we have been supportive of NJ Transit as they pursue sponsor support to help offset costs, and we remain in close coordination,” the committee said.

NJ Transit President and CEO Kris Kolluri said the agency’s marketing team got very creative to raise advertising revenue through corporate sponsors in the last few weeks in order to reduce the ticket price without relying on taxpayer dollars to do so.

Advertisement

“That was an effort that took tens if not hundreds of hours of all our time while we’re trying to run a system everyday,” Kolluri said. “In the end, we met the governor’s objective — without FIFA’s help, without anybody’s help, we in New Jersey alone reduced the fare from $150 to $98.”

Finger-pointing and tough decisions late in the game

Fraying relationships among the region’s host partners — New Jersey, New York and the host committee — have been on display for months.

In February, with just five weeks under her belt as New Jersey’s governor, Sherrill made waves by suddenly scrapping the Liberty State Park fan festival, a logistically-challenged event being planned by the host committee.

Sherrill hasn’t said why that pivot was made, but multiple sources familiar with the planning told NorthJersey.com that shuttling tens of thousands of people to the waterfront park every day for the 39-day tournament was complicated because of limited mass transportation options.

Advertisement

Instead, Sherrill diverted $5 million in state money intended for Liberty State Park to a new program her administration created in a matter of weeks with Choose New Jersey to provide grants for 34 World Cup events around the state.

The host committee responded by joining forces with the previously announced “Red Bull New York Soccer Celebration” at Sports Illustrated Stadium in Harrison and renaming its part of the festivities the “Jersey Fan Hub.”

But the state is having no part of it, and it even spelled out in the language of a recent $15 million grant provided to the host committee that if it is used for any event held at Sports Illustrated Stadium, the committee will have to forfeit the money.

Ticket prices for the Sports Illustrated event are $10, but the host committee’s fan events in all five New York City boroughs are free, thanks in large part to $20 million from New York State.

But things really escalated once the transportation tickets to MetLife Stadium were unveiled last month.

Advertisement

Eight matches, including the final, will be played at the East Rutherford stadium. Getting tens of thousands of fans there has proved to be an expensive, challenging endeavor since FIFA eliminated the ability to park at the stadium and forced the local governments and the host committee to come up with mass transit solutions and a ride-sharing location.

NJ Transit initially announced it would sell 40,000 train and bus tickets per match for $150 each, and the host committee would provide 10,000 chartered buses for $80 each.

Fans pounced on the expensive transit costs, and local public officials started pointing fingers — reactions that clearly inspired the Hudson River governors to find money to bring down those costs to $98 on the NJ Transit system and $20 on the bus shuttles.

They also increased the number of shuttle buses available by using Highland school buses, so 18,000 tickets will be available on non-school days and 12,000 on school days; Hochul demanded that about 20% of tickets have to be reserved for New York residents.

Did the deep bench pay off?

The New York-New Jersey host committee is stacked with people who have vast experience in fundraising, corporate partnerships and navigating the business world of professional sports — so why weren’t they able to solve this problem?

Advertisement

Alex Lasry and Tammy Murphy, wife of former New Jersey Gov. Phil Murphy, were named the host committee’s CEO and board chair, respectively, in February 2025 — and both have backgrounds in politics, fundraising, professional sports teams and public-private partnerships.

Tammy Murphy founded and owns the pro soccer team Gotham FC with her husband, has overseen multiple political fundraising organizations, and launched an unsuccessful bid for U.S. Senate in 2024, raising $3.2 million in her campaign’s first six weeks.

Lasry was previously an executive of the Milwaukee Bucks, the professional basketball team his family purchased in 2014. He also unsuccessfully ran for a U.S. Senate seat in Wisconsin in 2022, and was named co-treasurer of the Democratic Governors Association in 2023.

The host committee wouldn’t provide information on how much money it has raised in the three years since its formation in 2023, but it said “fundraising remains ongoing” and there are seven “host city supporters” that have been announced in the last two years.

Advertisement

Daniel Lynch joined the committee to become its chief commercial officer, leaving a nearly 20-year career with the New York Giants, where he most recently served as vice president of corporate partnerships. The committee’s co-host city managers — who have worked on World Cup planning since before the host committee was formed — are Lauren LaRusso and Bruce Revman.

LaRusso was general counsel in Phil Murphy’s government authorities unit that works with such agencies as NJ Transit and the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority. Revman was a managing director of New York City Tourism & Conventions.

Traditionally, a host committee provides most of the guidance for the major organization it represents because its members understand the infrastructure of the location, especially such details as hotel access and traffic patterns, said Aaron Moore, a professor of public relations and event planning at Rider University in Lawrenceville.

When it comes to soliciting donations, there will always be a political element, and major corporations make such donations out of their marketing budgets, he said.

“Rather than buy television advertisements or digital advertisements, they’re going to be what is called ‘the proud sponsor’ of this event. So that means that company is going to get a lot of positive publicity having their names attached by being called a sponsor,” he said.

Advertisement

Tensions with host committees not unique

Nearly all the host committees around the country have struggled to raise money for the World Cup — and it’s not surprising given the restrictions imposed by FIFA, the Zurich-based soccer organization that runs the tournament and stands to receive at least $11 billion in profit from this year’s World Cup.

FIFA has a number of global sponsors from some of the world’s most profitable companies — such as Coca-Cola, Adidas, Qatar Airways and Visa — and prevents competing brands from appearing at its tournaments. Host committees must therefore spend money and go to great lengths to eliminate all other ad branding at host stadiums.

For example, any reference to “MetLife” will be scrubbed from the East Rutherford stadium, and it will be rebranded “New York New Jersey Stadium” for the duration of the tournament.

FIFA also wasn’t provided tickets or suites to matches to dangle in front of potential sponsor companies. Taken together, this severely limits their ability to attract local sponsors.

Advertisement

Most host cities are allowed to secure no more than 10 sponsorships. The New York-New Jersey host committee is allowed a maximum of 20, but few have reached 10.

How does money get prioritized?

Other U.S. host cities are feeling financial pressures similar to those of the New York-New Jersey region, with fan fests getting downsized and public confrontations sprouting over funding spats. Last year in California, FIFA threatened to deny public viewing licenses to the host committee after disagreements over money.

The question that arises is: How does the money raised by host committees get prioritized?

In Philadelphia, the host committee partnered with Airbnb to provide free rides home on the SEPTA Broad Street Line after all six matches in that city, a corporate sponsorship model the NFL’s Philadelphia Eagles have used on various game days in past years. Match-goers will pay a one-way, standard subsidized fare of $2.90 to attend World Cup matches.

Meg Kane, CEO of Philadelphia’s host committee, told The Athletic that the committee focused on minimizing transportation costs from the beginning of the bid process to become a host city.

Advertisement

But it’s hard to compare Philadelphia’s experience to New Jersey’s:

  • New Jersey is hosting eight matches, including the final, while Philadelphia is hosting six.
  • Philadelphia’s Lincoln Financial Field holds about 65,000 fans, while MetLife will seat about 78,000 for the World Cup.
  • Philadelphia’s subway system is designed to transport around 15,000 people an hour, while NJ Transit’s Meadowlands shuttle can move about 10,000. The Garden State has approved spending up to $135 million to design, engineer and construct a bus route to complement the train shuttle between Secaucus Junction station and MetLife to move another 10,000 people per hour.
  • FIFA eliminated 23,000 parking spots normally available at MetLife to increase its security and media perimeter, which shifted the burden of transporting 56,000 fans to NJ Transit, the host committee’s bus shuttle and ride-sharing. Philadelphia’s stadium will have parking, which will reduce strain on the city’s mass transit system.

‘The wonders of American democracy’

New Jersey, without assistance from host partner New York, has approved more than $307 million in taxpayer spending to provide the host committee with a loan and make FIFA-required changes to the stadium and infrastructure upgrades, according to documents obtained by NorthJersey.com.

Sherrill says she won’t keep shifting the tournament’s financial burdens to taxpayers.

Those tensions — and the use of host committees — are in stark contrast to the last two World Cup tournaments, which were held in Qatar and Russia, where most of the coordinating went through a central government and money wasn’t an issue, said Robert Sroka, an assistant professor of sports management at Towson University in Maryland.

Here, you have the wonders of American democracy at work and all sorts of political tensions that aren’t present in other places,” Sroka said.

While the host committees are meant to lessen the financial burdens on taxpayers, the final bill will end up falling to local and state governments that agree to host these expensive mega events.

Advertisement

“Current politicians, whether they like it or not, they have to deal with whatever was left on their plate by their predecessors,” Sroka said. “You’re stuck with the bill — so enjoy the party while it lasts.”



Source link

Continue Reading

New Jersey

For FIFA World Cup, New Jersey encourages towns to extend alcohol sales at bars, restaurants

Published

on

For FIFA World Cup, New Jersey encourages towns to extend alcohol sales at bars, restaurants



New Jersey is trying to help bars and restaurants cash in on the FIFA World Cup by letting them sell more alcohol throughout the tournament. 

Advertisement

Over a pint of Guinness at Mulligan’s Pub in Hoboken, Gov. Mikie Sherrill on Monday signed a proclamation encouraging municipalities to temporarily extend alcohol sales during matches.

“This is the first time I’ve signed a proclamation in a bar,” said Sherrill. 

What could change?

The goal is to convince local leaders to let bars and restaurants open earlier or stay open later to align with the World Cup schedule across time zones. 

Changes would vary from town to town, since the proclamation does not mandate any changes to local rules. It simply gives the option to adjust them during the 39-day event.

“It’s allowing businesses to really get some good economic impact from the World Cup,” said Sherrill. 

Advertisement

Hoboken Mayor Emily Jabbour said she’s open to the idea. 

“I think we’ll be taking this into consideration as a great option for us,” Jabbour said. “We’ve been actively working with our public safety departments to make sure that all of the logistics around World Cup are coordinated appropriately.” 

Bar owner expects big crowds

Mulligan’s Pub owner Louis Jannuzzi said the business is expecting big crowds during the tournament. 

“We’re expecting a lot of people to show up, but we’re going to make it the best place to go watch a game, other than going to the game itself I suppose,” Jannuzzi said. 

Extended hours could be mean even bigger business for Mulligan’s and bars across the state.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Jersey

Best Sports Business Cities: No. 21 Northern New Jersey

Published

on

Best Sports Business Cities: No. 21 Northern New Jersey


The six-county region — Bergen, Essex, Hudson, Morris, Passaic and Union — is home to 2.6 million residents, six major league teams and four NCAA Division I athletic programs that collectively drew 12.7 million in attendance during our study.

Home base: The region is home to sports business companies including: 16W Marketing; BetMGM; Goldklang Group; Mars Wrigley (U.S. operations); Prudential Financial; Samsung; Skanska; and ZRG Partners.

Over the past three years, MetLife Stadium (which will host eight 2026 FIFA World Cup matches, including the final), and Prudential Center (which added the PWHL Sirens to its busy roster) each reported record revenues, and Sports Illustrated Stadium snagged a new naming-rights deal and will be the official NY/NJ World Cup 26 Jersey Fan Hub.

Recent events and wins for the area include WrestleMania in 2019; the SheBelieves Cup, presented by Visa in March; 2025 NCAA Division I Men’s Basketball East Regional; and Brazil’s base camp at the Red Bulls’ Columbia Park Training Center.

Advertisement
Previous Rankings

2023: #2 (with New York City)

2024 Event Hosting: #7 (with New York City)

2025 Soccer: #2 (with New York City)



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending