Connect with us

Northeast

Local officials attack New York City plan to house migrants in Staten Island church: 'Hurting this community'

Published

on

Staten Island officials had harsh words for New York City’s latest plan to open a migrant shelter in a local church.

Staten Island Borough President Vito Fossella, alongside Councilwoman Kamillah Hanks and Councilman David Carr, held a last-minute press conference on Monday attacking a proposal to place 15 cots in the Faith United Methodist Church for single adult men. 

“Out of the blue, in the dark of the night, we were just told last week that ‘guess what, despite all your best efforts, we’re going to open up a migrant shelter…which is wrong. We come here united,” Fossella, a Republican, said, according to the New York Post.

The bipartisan group of community leaders agreed that opening a migrant shelter would be “hurting this community and the people.”

FURIOUS STATEN ISLAND RESIDENT VOWS COMMUNITY WILL STOP MIGRANT SHELTER IN ITS TRACKS: ‘THIS IS GROUND ZERO’

Advertisement

Staten Island Borough president Vito Fossella said that the city only gave him a few days’ notice before insisting that a local church would open a migrant shelter. (Photo by Helen H. Richardson/MediaNews Group/The Denver Post via Getty Images)

“Some people in this community wake up every day trying to figure out, ‘How do we make Portland Richmond better? How do we make the North Shore better?’” Fossella said.

He added, “And then along comes the agencies, [which] say, ‘Guess what? Here’s a way we can make it better: We’re gonna’ dump a migrant shelter right in the middle of your neighborhood.’”

“How is that any degree of common sense? It’s not,” he said. “We have to stand and fight back.”

Hanks, a Democratic councilwoman, agreed with Fossella and criticized the city for giving them such short notice, the New York Post reported.

Advertisement

“The residents of this district are tired — they’re tired of constantly waking up one day to find that an institution they trusted has made the decision that they feel will have a negative impact on their community and their safety,” Hanks continued.

She added, “We deserve a reasonable expectation that communities will be provided with adequate notice and will not intentionally keep us in the dark while decisions are made.”

NYC-Migrant-Protests-Roosevelt-Hotel

Staten Island residents and local leaders have attacked New York City’s attempts to shelter migrants in their neighborhoods. (Julia Bonavita/Fox News Digital)

Carr, a Republican, noted that it was unlikely the church could even be equipped to be converted into a shelter, insisting that Staten Island is not under any obligation to provide shelter for migrants.

“We should be talking about closing shelters, winding them down, not opening up new ones like the one that they intend to put behind us,” he said, indicating the church behind them.

“I’m not just against migrant shelters in my backyard,” Carr continued. “I’m against migrant shelters in everyone’s backyard.”

Advertisement

NYC RESIDENTS PROTEST ON STATEN ISLAND AS MIGRANT CRISIS WORSENS, CLAIM THEY ARE ‘NOT BEING VETTED’: REPORT

Speaking with Fox News Digital, Fossella said that Staten Island has frequently pushed back against some of New York City’s efforts to open more migrant shelters in their borough. For example, in September, a Staten Island judge ruled that a school being used to house migrants had to be vacated.

“From day one, we’ve been pretty clear that we feel that this policy is unsustainable. And clearly, it’s been unsustainable,” he said.

Vito Fossella

Fossella attacked New York City’s “right to shelter” mindset when it comes to welcoming migrants.

He further attacked the way New York City has been handling the migrant crisis over the past few years.

“Every day, people from all over the world come, and they roll the dice and once they cross the border, they are sent to wherever they want to go. And the unfortunate situation in New York City is the belief that’s wrong, that there’s this so-called ‘right to shelter’ that the city has an obligation to accommodate them, to put them up in hotels, to feed them, to give them mopeds, to give them iPhones. It’s wrong. It’s just not true,” Fossella said.

Advertisement

As of Monday night, Fossella stated that he had not yet heard back from the city.

Fox News Digital reached out to the New York City mayor’s office for a comment.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

Boston’s White Stadium renovation to be focus of trial next March, city attorney says

Published

on

Boston’s White Stadium renovation to be focus of trial next March, city attorney says


As a lawsuit makes its way through court against the proposed White Stadium renovation at Boston’s Franklin Park, the ambitious plan continues to receive the green light from key city boards.

The Boston Planning & Development Agency became the latest to sign off on the project, minutes after a city attorney told the board that the proposed endeavor would head to trial next spring.

For months, city officials and Boston Unity Soccer Partners – an all-female ownership group behind a push to bring the city its next professional women’s soccer team – have endured a battle from neighborhood advocates fighting the plan. The Globe’s Linda Henry is one of those owners.

A group of 21 residents, dubbed the “Franklin Park Defenders,” and the nonprofit advocacy group, Emerald Necklace Conservancy, filed a lawsuit against the plan in February, alleging the endeavor would “illegally transfer the public trust lands” to “a private party.”

Advertisement

City Councilor Ed Flynn wrote a letter to Boston’s Chief of Planning Arthur Jemison and the BPDA ahead of the Thursday approval, urging the board to delay the vote to “allow for more public process and a thorough evaluation.”

“Neighbors have reached out in the past several months,” Flynn wrote in his letter, “and more in recent days, to express their deep concerns on how quickly this has proposal is going through this review process and now come to the BPDA Board.

“In addition, this $50 million cost, which may eventually have overruns and a higher price tag,” he added, “comes at a time of falling commercial property values in our city and an analysis showing that the City of Boston could potentially have a $500 million annual loss in revenue.”

Renovations at the dilapidated park and stadium — where half of the grandstands were burned out from a fire decades ago— would triple the number of hours the stadium could be used, 90% of which would be dedicated to Boston Public School student-athletes and the community, project proponents have said.

Boston Unity, which won an expansion bid last September to join the National Women’s Soccer League, is slated to contribute $50 million, with the city matching that investment. The city is responsible for rebuilding the east grandstand and the soccer group, the other.

Advertisement

A Suffolk Superior Court justice sees the planned massive renovation at Franklin Park’s White Stadium as a win for all Boston residents.

Justice Sarah Ellis in March tossed out motions for a temporary restraining order, preliminary injunction, and lis pendens — or notice of a lawsuit on the property, which complicates transfers or sales — measures the plaintiffs desired to prevent additional steps from being taken in the massive $100-million undertaking.

City attorney Sammy Nabulsi said the lawsuit has entered its discovery phase which he called a “fancy term for fact-finding.”

“The discovery phase was supposed to go on until February 2026,” he said, “but that was unacceptable to the city and it was unacceptable to the team.”

A judge has accepted an expedited schedule with discovery ending in December and the case going to trial in March 2025,” Nabulsi said. Boston Unity is expected to take the pitch at White Stadium for the 2026 season.

Advertisement

“We are hoping that this case will be over and done with no later than the spring,” he said, “so I disagree with the comment that all public processes should stop pending the litigation, especially given the fact that a judge has already ruled on the merits.”

With the BPDA approval in hand, along with that of the city’s Landmarks and Civics Design commissions, the project is slated to be in front of the Parks Commission on July 29.

Boston Unity expects its endeavor will have a wide range of economic benefits for the greater community.

Construction, which could start by the end of the year, would generate more than 500 jobs, and the workers would be employed onsite for two years. About 300 permanent jobs would then be created once the stadium is renovated, according to the proposal.

“This is a major milestone for a project that is decades overdue,” Mayor Michelle Wu said of the BPDA approval in a statement, “finally giving BPS student-athletes and community a beautiful new home at White Stadium.”

Advertisement

Originally Published:



Source link

Continue Reading

Pittsburg, PA

A special Picklesburgh message from Celina

Published

on

A special Picklesburgh message from Celina


A special Picklesburgh message from Celina – CBS Pittsburgh

Watch CBS News


Celina Pompeani-Mathison and her nieces are sending us a special message for Picklesburgh.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.




Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

Connecticut GOP Chairman under fire after comments on Kamala Harris

Published

on

Connecticut GOP Chairman under fire after comments on Kamala Harris


HARTFORD, CT (WFSB) – There was a lot of energy at the Republican National Convention Thursday night as Former President Donald Trump accepted his nomination by his party for president.

Connecticut GOP Chairman Ben Proto was a delegate and is now under fire by Democratic leaders for his comments on current Vice President Kamala Harris.

On Connecticut public radio’s “The Wheelhouse,” Proto said she got her job because of gender and racial politics, not because she’s qualified to be vice president.

Democrats say Proto is attacking Harris solely because she is a black woman. Proto, however, says it was Biden himself who made it clear who he was looking for.

Advertisement

“Find his comments egregious, I do find them racial I do find them misogynistic but people have to judge that’s why we made this statement,” said Majority Leader Bob Duff.

“It’s not me or the republicans who have brough this into play, it was kamala harris and then vice president joe biden who did that. And the qualifications. He put on his vice president would be that they be a black woman and the qualifications should be whether are they competent to do the job,” said Proto.

There is increasing pressure for Biden to step aside, with Harris a candidate to become the Democratic nominee.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending