Connect with us

Northeast

Lia Thomas speaks for first time since UPenn agreed to Trump admin resolution to protect women’s sports

Published

on

Lia Thomas speaks for first time since UPenn agreed to Trump admin resolution to protect women’s sports

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Prominent transgender swimmer Lia Thomas spoke in an interview for the first time since the University of Pennsylvania agreed with President Donald Trump’s administration in June to strip the athlete’s swimming records from the women’s program archives, and adopt a policy to keep biological males out of women’s sports. 

In an interview with WHYY, Thomas did not directly address the agreement with the Trump administration, but did send a message to those who don’t believe biological male trans athletes should compete in the women’s category.

“You don’t get to pick and choose when you see me as a woman. You don’t get to say, ‘You can be a woman in these situations, but not in these,’ because you would never do that to a cis woman,” Thomas said. “But for trans women, a lot of people think ‘Oh, it’s okay for me to be the arbiter and pick and choose when I see them as women.’”

Advertisement

University of Pennsylvania transgender athlete Lia Thomas swims in a preliminary heat for the 500-meter freestyle at the NCAA Swimming and Diving Championships Thursday, March 17, 2022, at Georgia Tech in Atlanta. (AP Photo/John Bazemore)

Thomas gave the response when asked how the athlete would address people who aren’t against rights for transgender people, but are in support of protecting women’s sports from male inclusion. Thomas went on to suggest that Hormone Replacement Therapy (HRT) prevents trans athletes from having a competitive advantage.

“There are massive losses to muscle mass, strength and endurance, and to make blanket statements like, ‘Oh, I see you as a woman, but you just shouldn’t compete in women’s sports’ is both transphobic and not reflective of the realities of being trans and being on HRT,” Thomas said. 

A study by the Macdonald–Laurier Institute, a Canadian think tank, argued that “there is neither a medical intervention nor a clever philosophical argument that can make it fair for trans women to compete in women’s sport.”

UPENN AGREES TO FOLLOW TRUMP’S MANDATE ON PROTECTING WOMEN’S SPORTS AFTER LIA THOMAS INVESTIGATION

Advertisement

“For trans women who have successfully suppressed testosterone for 12 months, the extent of muscle/strength loss is only an approximately (and modest) -5% after 12 months,” the authors said. “Testosterone suppression does not remove the athletic advantage acquired under high testosterone conditions at puberty, while the male musculoskeletal advantage is retained.”

Thomas also opened up on being in a relationship with a woman prior to making the decision to undergo gender-affirming surgery. Thomas recalled the moment in the summer of 2018 when the former collegiate swimmer openly admitted, “I’m trans” for the first time.  

“I and my girlfriend at the time, were staying on campus to do a summer class. She was and has continued to be a very staunch queer ally. And she invited me to go with her to a pride parade as like allies to be supporting. And as a closeted trans women, I was like ‘Yes, absolutely I would love to go hang out with cool, queer people,’” Thomas said. “That evening when we got home, I came out to her. And I think that might have been the first time I said ‘I’m trans,’ out loud. And that was a very huge milestone, and she was incredibly supportive.” 

Thomas competed for UPenn women’s swimming team in the 2021-22 season, after previously competing for the men’s team. Thomas went on to win NCAA Division I national championship in the 500-yard freestyle, earned three All-America honors at the NCAA Championships, and was named the High Point Swimmer of the Meet at the Ivy League Championships. 

Multiple women who competed alongside Thomas that season, both UPenn teammates and competitors from other schools, have spoken out about their experience sharing the pool and locker room with Thomas. 

Advertisement

Former University of Kentucky swimmer and OutKick host Riley Gaines infamously tied with Thomas at the NCAA championships that year, and went on to file a lawsuit and become a well-known women’s sports rights advocate in the years that followed. Gaines’ lawsuit against the NCAA includes a plaintiff list of several other Thomas opponents that year, including former NC State swimmer Kylee Alons and former Kentucky swimmer Kaitlyn Wheeler. 

The lawsuit partially advanced past motions to dismiss on Sept. 27. 

Another lawsuit filed by three of Thomas’ former UPenn teammates has also been filed against the university and the Ivy League. The plaintiffs are former UPenn swimmers Grace Estabrook, Margot Kaczorowski and Ellen Holmquist. 

Fellow former UPenn swimmer Paula Scanlan was the first of Thomas’ teammates to speak out about the situation, and the only to do so during and shortly after the 2022 season. The others have waited years to come forward with their experiences. 

Former UPenn swimmer Monika Burzynska said she was assigned the locker just one over from Lia Thomas’ when the transgender athlete joined the women’s swim team in 2021.

Advertisement

“I thought it must be terrible to feel like you’re trapped in the wrong body. Just be so out of touch with who you really are,” Burzynska previously told Fox News Digital. “You have these issues that are from afar and you never really quite think they’re going to touch you personally until you’re on a team with Lia Thomas and your locker is directly next to this biological male. And you would have never believed that you’d be facing this issue directly.

“And then when that happens, your views change where you still feel sorry for this person because they’re clearly so deeply lost. But then it turns into more, ‘OK, this is not fair,’” Burzynska added. 

Meanwhile, Thomas was the recipient of the Voice of Inspiration Award at Rainbow Labs’ Violet Visionary Awards on Thursday. The event is sponsored by both the Los Angeles Dodgers and Los Angeles Football Club, among others.

Follow Fox News Digital’s sports coverage on X, and subscribe to the Fox News Sports Huddle newsletter.

Advertisement



Read the full article from Here

Pittsburg, PA

An AI-powered app can tell you how much your gold jewelry is worth. How accurate is it?

Published

on

An AI-powered app can tell you how much your gold jewelry is worth. How accurate is it?


What if what’s sitting in your jewelry drawer is worth more than you think? New data shows Americans are unknowingly sitting on big money when it comes to gold jewelry. And now artificial intelligence is getting trained to make it possible to find out what it’s worth in minutes. KDKA’s Meghan Schiller reports.



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Connecticut State Police respond to NAACP request for more information on 17-year-old boy’s death

Published

on

Connecticut State Police respond to NAACP request for more information on 17-year-old boy’s death


WALLINGFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — Connecticut State Police responded to a request from the state NAACP on Friday to provide more information on the death of a 17-year-old boy who allegedly fled the scene of a crash involving a stolen car.

The NAACP held a news conference Friday morning, announcing that they are opening their own investigation into Khasir Jennette’s death.

His body was found in the woods by a dogwalker in Wallingford on Feb. 21, around 9:15 a.m., three weeks after a stolen Acura he was in crashed on Route 15 North in Wallingford.

The NAACP said they want more answers on how investigators searched for the teen after he was reported missing.

Advertisement

At the time of the crash on Feb. 1, around 9:48 p.m., police said there were about 12 to 16 inches of snow on the ground. K-9 units were called to track the area of the Quinnipiac River near the abandoned car around 10:30 p.m., which did not yield any results.

Police received another call at 1:34 a.m. from Jennette’s mother, stating that he was involved in the crash on Route 15 and was in the woods with his friends freezing. She had not seen him since Jan. 31 and provided a description of what he could have been wearing. She also said another mother had called her to say her son was in the woods, as well.

State police released a detailed summary in response, listing the resources deployed in searching for Jennette after he went missing, which included opening a missing persons investigation, distributing the information to social media, and issuing a Silver Alert.

Connecticut State Police stated that many resources were deployed on Sunday night, going into Monday morning, when they found tracks leading through “extreme conditions,” including frozen waterways, embankments, wooden unlighted terrain, brush, sticks and prickers, and into the Amazon property campus locations with solar farms.

State police also said that the Quinnipiac River was not fully frozen and had water flowing under breakable ice. The overnight temperature on the night of Sunday, Feb. 1, was -3 degrees.

Advertisement

Police said they used the following while attempting to locate the boy:

  • CSP air 1 unit
  • CSP drone unit
  • CSP search and rescue K-9 units
  • CSP Troop I K09 units
  • CSP Troop I patrol units
  • Troop G K-9 Units
  • Troop G patrol units
  • CSP Troop H patrol units
  • CSP troop H K-9 units (patrol and bloodhound K-9)
  • EMS services
  • Wallingford Fire Department thermal imaging
  • Wallingford Police Department patrol units
  • CSP Central District Major Crimes
  • CSP Intelligence and Operations Unit
  • CSP Collision, Analysis and Reconstruction Squad

An arrest warrant shows that Jennette was one of the three people in the stolen car at the time of the crash, and that police have arrested at least one person, Khalil Marquis Council, in connection with the theft.

Jennette’s mother stated that she had texted him the day of the crash around 9:30 a.m., which he read but did not reply to. She said that his phone did not have cell service and connected to WiFi when it was available.

State police additionally clarified that a press release was not sent out upon the discovery of Jennette’s body, as “it is standard operating procedure that press releases are not completed
by police departments following unattended death investigations.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Maine

Maine ballot initiative to prevent trans athletes in girls sports could be ruled invalid

Published

on

Maine ballot initiative to prevent trans athletes in girls sports could be ruled invalid


PORTLAND (WGME)– A ballot initiative seeking to prevent transgender students from playing girls sports in Maine may not be on the November ballot after all.

A Maine Deputy Secretary of State now says the initiative no longer has enough valid signatures.

Facing time constraints, Secretary of State Shenna Bellows initially validated 72,000 of the nearly 80,000 signatures gathered in support of the “Protect Girls Sports” ballot initiative. As a result, the Secretary of State approved the referendum for the November ballot.

But after a challenge to more of those signatures, including some with invalid dates and others that appear to be signed by the same person, a judge ordered a closer examination of the petitions. Chief Deputy Secretary of State Katherine McBrien says they’ve now found more than 4,800 additional invalid signatures.

Advertisement

“Because the number of valid signatures is now short of the required number by 532 signatures, I find the petition to be invalid,” McBrien said.

“It seems like this group didn’t follow the rules,” Gia Drew of Equality Maine said

Drew says there’s also evidence that some petition tables were unmanned while people were signing.

“Very obvious by the evidence that was presented that the folks who were doing this didn’t do that job,” Drew said.

At this point, the referendum is still approved for the November ballot. Bellows has yet to issue a final ruling.

Advertisement

Protect Girls Sports in Maine says it is now reviewing the deputy’s recommendation.

“We are continuing our defense of the Protect Girls Sports ballot measure and will be filing our objections to the recommended decision before the May 23 deadline.”

“We’re confident that the petition-gathering process was well done,” Protect Girls Sports in Maine attorney Tim Woodcock said. “And we’re confident that in the end, petition signatures that were gathered were done in sufficient number to withstand this challenge.”

At last count, only two transgender students were playing girls sports in Maine.

“There are far more pressing issues, I think, than a trans kid playing sports. I do think this is a political move by some folks to drive their base out to vote, which I think is short-sighted, narrow-minded and puts kids in harm’s way,” Drew said.

Bellows plans to hold a news conference on Tuesday, where she will announce her decision on the Protect Girls Sports in Maine referendum.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending