Connect with us

Connecticut

T.N. govt. inks pact with Connecticut to strengthen economic ties

Published

on

T.N. govt. inks pact with Connecticut to strengthen economic ties


(From left) T.R.B. Rajaa, Minister for Industries, Government of Tamil Nadu; Darez Ahamed, managing director, Guidance Tamil Nadu; Daniel O’Keefe, Economic and Community Development Commissioner, Connecticut; and Ned Lamont, Governor of Connecticut, during an exchanging of MoU in Chennai on Tuesday 
| Photo Credit: S.R. Raghunathan

Apart from being the two largest democracies in the world, India and the United States (U.S.) have so much in common, including a spiritual connection and shared strategic interests, said Ned Lamont, Governor of Connecticut, U.S., on Tuesday (February 25, 2025).

Mr. Lamont was in Chennai heading a delegation of officials and business leaders from Connecticut on an economic mission in India. A Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) was signed between the Government of Connecticut and the Tamil Nadu government to strengthen economic ties between the two States.

Speaking at the event, Mr. Lamont said, “Connecticut and Tamil Nadu in many aspects have so much in common. Connecticut is one of the most innovative States in the U.S., just like your State [Tamil Nadu].” He said measures were being taken to create an ecosystem that would make Connecticut a welcoming place for companies to start businesses.

Advertisement

Highlighting the presence of a strong and vibrant Indian diaspora in Connecticut, Mr. Lamont invited Tamil Nadu Industries Minister T.R.B. Rajaa and business leaders to visit the State. “We have a fair number of companies very interested in expanding in Tamil Nadu as well,” he added.

Speaking to The Hindu, Daniel O’Keefe, Economic and Community Development Commissioner, Connecticut, said: “The goal of the MoU is to strengthen economic ties between Connecticut and Tamil Nadu. It focuses on two important sectors such as manufacturing and biosciences. The MoU is just the beginning of our partnership. We have an action plan for the next 90 days. A working group will be constituted to coordinate further.”

‘Shared interests’

Mr. Rajaa said Connecticut and Tamil Nadu shared amazing manufacturing prowess. “India is extremely capable of doing things. With the right kind of help from the United States and the developed world, we could add more value to each and every corner of the world.”

The Minister also highlighted that 43% of all working women in the organised sector in India are from Tamil Nadu. “We have 25 of the top 100 universities in India. The State has the highest number of PhDs in India and produces 1.5 lakh engineers annually. Enabling them is the key for us. When we go out to the world looking for investments, we are not looking for numbers, but for high-end jobs for the hugely talented workforce that we have in Tamil Nadu.”

Mr. Rajaa also highlighted several key indicators in which Tamil Nadu was a frontrunner in India. He said the State was the knowledge capital of the country and filed the highest number of patents last year. Tamil Nadu is also leading in electronics, healthcare, and tourism. Nearly 38% of all the electronic output out of India comes from Tamil Nadu,” he added.

Advertisement

Darez Ahamed, managing director, Guidance Tamil Nadu; Indra Nooyi, former CEO, Pepsico; delegates from Connecticut; and entrepreneurs were among other participants.



Source link

Connecticut

Man killed in Glastonbury crash

Published

on

Man killed in Glastonbury crash


A man is dead after a crash in Glastonbury on Tuesday afternoon, police said.

The crash happened around 2:45 p.m. in the area of Hebron Avenue and Glenwood Road. First responders were called in response to the report of a crash with injuries.

When police arrived at the scene, they found an 84-year-old man driving one of the vehicles. He was unconscious and was rushed to an area hospital. A passenger in the same vehicle was also taken to the hospital for evaluation.

Police said that, according to an investigation, the 84-year-old driver was traveling east on Hebron Avenue when he turned left onto Glenwood Road. As he turned, he drove into the path of an oncoming vehicle.

Advertisement

The crash redirected the 84-year-old’s vehicle into a third vehicle.

Police said the man later died at the hospital. He hasn’t been identified at this time.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Connecticut

‘Changed everything:’ Double knee replacement transforms quality of life for Connecticut woman

Published

on

‘Changed everything:’ Double knee replacement transforms quality of life for Connecticut woman


MILFORD, Conn. (WTNH) — A Connecticut woman dealt with debilitating knee pain for years before she said she found a surgeon who listened to her needs and successfully replaced both of her joints.

“I was totally incapacitated,” Gail Rogers Hopkins told News 8.

Going up and down stairs was impossible for her just a couple of years ago.

“I could hardly move because the pain was just that excruciating,” she explained.

Advertisement

Before the pain consumed her, however, she shared her knees just weren’t her top priority.

“You just push it away because there’s kids to take care of and husbands to take care of and houses and work,” she said.

Rogers Hopkins tried all sorts of remedies like cortisone and CBD before exploring surgery.

“Finding the right doctor was key. I fired four orthopedists before I got to Dr. Lahav, because they, because of my weight, they did not want to do the surgery, and they dismissed me.”

The “right” doctor, she said, is orthopedic surgeon Dr. Amit Lahav at Bridgeport Hospital’s Milford Campus.

Advertisement

“Somebody was actually listening to me and that’s, you know, that was the start of it and so I did everything I was told,” Rogers Hopkins explained while fighting back tears.

Lahav helped her develop a weight loss plan in preparation for surgery. Her first knee was replaced in April and the second in June of last year.

Just about a year later, she said, “I didn’t feel like I had a life prior to this, you know, having the surgery done was just incredible, it just has changed everything.”

  • 'Changed everything:' Double knee replacement transforms quality of life for Connecticut woman.

Lahav is familiar with Rogers Hopkins’ path to surgery, saying, “functional impairments or mechanical symptoms such as arthritis sometimes takes a backseat.”

While he doesn’t discount a hip or knee replacement being major surgery, he added, “a lot of the total joint replacement you do now are same day, you go home, same day, you’re walking just a couple of hours after surgery, full weight-bearing.”

Lahav also emphasizes that recovery isn’t one size fits all.

Advertisement

“It’s a new joint, it does take some work on there, but if you get that work done earlier on and you maximize where you can get, especially over the first few weeks, you can be walking into my office at two weeks saying, I already feel a difference,” Lahav said.

To those struggling with pain like Rogers Hopkins’, she said, “don’t give up.”

She wants others to know, “it was worth the wait.”

Lahav said consider all your options for joint pain, both surgical and non-surgical. If surgery is the option you choose, make sure you understand the process from prep to post-surgery and prioritize quality communication with your medical team.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Connecticut

Body recovered from Connecticut River identified as missing Massachusetts man

Published

on

Body recovered from Connecticut River identified as missing Massachusetts man


LYME, Conn. (WTNH) — A body found in the Connecticut River earlier this month has been positively identified as a missing Massachusetts man, according to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection (DEEP).

Somebody had reported seeing a body in the Connecticut River near the Chester-Lyme Ferry on May 9 around 12:23 p.m., according to DEEP.

Fire crews and police were able to recover the body, where the man was pronounced dead.

Environmental Conservation Police (EnCon) investigators were able to match known records to 63-year-old Donald Plasse, of Holyoke, Massachusetts, who was reported missing on Jan. 13.

Advertisement

According to DEEP, his disappearance followed an incident near the Connecticut River in South Hadley, Massachusetts.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending