Connecticut
Connecticut drivers frustrated by bad road behavior
A road rage shooting and a wrong-way driver caught on dashcam video. Those are just some of the latest incidents getting attention on our highways in Connecticut.
“This is my car wash and I’m seeing now it’s all taped off. I’m like ‘what the hell is going on?’” Raynette Woodard, of Hartford, said.
Customers at a gas station on Weston Street in Hartford were in disbelief, with a bullet hole clearly visible on a black SUV’s window.
State police said a road rage shooting on I-91 in Windsor left a person injured, but expected to be OK. Two people were arrested.
People say it’s yet another instance of bad behavior on Connecticut highways.
“Why is everybody in such a rush? Why is everybody, don’t respect the law of the land?” Woodard said.
In Montville, state police arrested a woman speeding the wrong way on I-395 over the weekend and almost hitting two vehicles. Troopers stopped her by ramming their cruisers into her car as it entered their parking lot.
She now faces a number of charges, including driving under the influence.
“It’s really scary. I can’t even imagine,” Adam Gould, who was driving from Michigan, said.
The Connecticut Department of Transportation has been working to make our roads safer and say there’s been a decline in wrong-way fatal highway crashes since 2022, when it was a high of 13 crashes causing 23 deaths.
Last year, it went down to six crashes and 13 deaths. The agency credits wrong-way detection systems on highway on-ramps for getting the number down with more than 300 activations over the last year – getting drivers to turn around.
“That’s at least 300 lives saved, potentially saved, because we know when these crashes happen, they’re happening at a high rate of speed,” Josh Morgan, with the Connecticut Department of Transportation, said.
For drivers, they just want to see people be more responsible on the road without being impaired or distracted.
“Be careful. Be smart. It’s not worth whatever that text is. It’s not worth anyone’s life,” Gould said.
The DOT said if you do see a wrong-way driver, move over to the far-right lane and call police in a safe area.
As to what could be leading to more aggressive driving, state police say it could be a number of things like more traffic, conflict from other areas of our lives, or even a sense that our vehicles have become safer.
Connecticut
NASA astronaut from Connecticut arrives at International Space Station
An astronaut from Connecticut, a member of the SpaceX Crew-12, arrived Saturday at the International Space Station.
Navy Captain Jack Hathaway, of South Windsor, is part of the four-astronaut crew.
The crew launched in a SpaceX rocket from Cape Canaveral in Florida Friday morning at 5:15 a.m.
Hathaway will call the ISS home for the next eight months.
Last month’s medical evacuation was NASA’s first in 65 years of human spaceflight. One of four astronauts launched by SpaceX last summer suffered what officials described as a serious health issue, prompting their hasty return. That left only three crew members to keep the place running — one American and two Russians — prompting NASA to pause spacewalks and trim research.
Along with Hathaway, moving in for eight to nine months are NASA’s Jessica Meir, France’s Sophie Adenot and Russia’s Andrei Fedyaev. Meir, a marine biologist, and Fedyaev, a former military pilot, have lived up there before. During her first station visit in 2019, Meir took part in the first all-female spacewalk.
Adenot, a military helicopter pilot, is only the second French woman to fly in space. Hathaway is a captain in the U.S. Navy.
A couple of hours later, the hatches swung open and the seven space travelers hugged and exchanged exuberant high-fives. “Let’s get rolling,” Meir said.
NASA has refused to divulge the identity of the astronaut who fell ill in orbit on Jan. 7 or explain what happened, citing medical privacy. The ailing astronaut and three others returned to Earth more than a month sooner than planned. They spent their first night back on Earth at the hospital before returning to Houston.
The space agency said it did not alter its preflight medical checks for their replacements.
AP Wire Services contributed to this report.
Connecticut
Search for missing hikers in Southington
Officials have located the lost hikers from Ragged Mountain and are working on bringing them out.
According to the Southington Fire Department, there is a medical emergency involved.
Officials have not said what the extent of the medical emergency is.
Connecticut
Judge dismisses charges against 3 Connecticut officers accused of mistreating paralyzed prisoner
By DAVE COLLINS
A Connecticut judge on Friday dismissed criminal charges against three current and former New Haven police officers who were accused of mistreating prisoner Richard “Randy” Cox after he was paralyzed in the back of a police van in 2022.
Judge David Zagaja dropped the cases against Oscar Diaz, Jocelyn Lavandier and Luis Rivera after granting them a probation program that allows charges to be erased from defendants’ records, saying their conduct was not malicious. Two other officers, Betsy Segui and Ronald Pressley, pleaded guilty last year to misdemeanor reckless endangerment and received no jail time.
Cox, 40, was left paralyzed from the chest down on June 19, 2022, when the police van, which had no seat belts, braked hard to avoid an accident, sending him head-first into a metal partition while his hands were cuffed behind his back. He had been arrested on charges of threatening a woman with a gun, which were later dismissed.
“I can’t move. I’m going to die like this. Please, please, please help me,” Cox said in the van minutes after being injured, according to police video. He later was found to have broken his neck.
Diaz, who was driving the van, brought Cox to the police department, where officers mocked Cox and accused him of being drunk and faking his injuries, according to surveillance and body-worn camera footage. Officers dragged Cox out of the van and around the police station before placing him in a holding cell before paramedics brought him to a hospital.
Before pulling him out of the van, Lavandier told Cox to move his leg and sit up, according to an internal affairs investigation report. Cox says “I can’t move” and Lavandier says “You’re not even trying.”
New Haven State’s Attorney John P. Doyle Jr.’s office said prosecutors and Cox did not object to the charges being dismissed.
Defense lawyers said that while the officers were sympathetic to what happened to Cox, they did not cause his injuries or make them worse. The three officers whose cases were dismissed were scheduled to go on trial next month.
“We don’t think that there was sufficient evidence to prove her guilt or any wrongdoing,” said Lavandier’s attorney, Dan Ford. “This is a negotiated settlement that avoids the risk of having go through the emotional toll of a trial.”
Rivera’s lawyer, Raymond Hassett, called the decision to charge the officers “unjust and misplaced.”
“The actions of the Police Chief and City Mayor in targeting the officers were a misguided effort to deflect attention from the police department shortcomings in managing the department and ensuring proper protocols were in place and followed,” Hassett said in a statement.
Attorneys for Cox and Diaz did not immediately return phone and email messages Friday. Cox’s lawyer, Louis Rubano, has said Cox and his family hoped the criminal cases would end quickly with plea bargains.
New Haven Mayor Justin Elicker said city officials disagreed with the judge’s decision to dismiss the charges.
“What happened to Randy was tragic and awful,” he said in a statement.
The case drew outrage from civil rights advocates including the NAACP, along with comparisons to the Freddie Gray case in Baltimore. Cox is Black, while all five officers who were arrested are Black or Hispanic. Gray, who also was Black, died in 2015 after he suffered a spinal injury while handcuffed and shackled in a Baltimore police van.
The case also led to reforms at the New Haven police department as well as a statewide seat belt requirement for prisoners.
In 2023, the city of New Haven agreed to settle a lawsuit by Cox for $45 million.
New Haven police fired Segui, Diaz, Lavandier and Rivera for violating police conduct policies, while Pressley retired and avoided an internal investigation. Diaz appealed his firing and got his job back. Segui lost the appeal of her firing, while appeals by Lavandier and Rivera remain pending.
-
Alabama1 week agoGeneva’s Kiera Howell, 16, auditions for ‘American Idol’ season 24
-
Culture1 week agoVideo: Farewell, Pocket Books
-
Technology1 week agoApple might let you use ChatGPT from CarPlay
-
Illinois6 days ago2026 IHSA Illinois Wrestling State Finals Schedule And Brackets – FloWrestling
-
Politics1 week agoHegseth says US strikes force some cartel leaders to halt drug operations
-
World1 week ago‘Regime change in Iran should come from within,’ former Israel PM says
-
Movie Reviews1 week agoWith Love Movie Review: A romcom with likeable leads and plenty of charm
-
News1 week ago
Hate them or not, Patriots fans want the glory back in Super Bowl LX