World
‘Regime change in Iran should come from within,’ former Israel PM says
Any regime change in Iran should come “from within” and be led by “more moderate forces” than hardline Islamic fundamentalists, former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert told Euronews.
Olmert, who served as Israel’s premier between 2006 and 2009, spoke to Euronews just weeks after protests swept across Iran in early January.
According to the UN’s special rapporteur on Iran, Mai Soto, the unrest has resulted in at least 5,000 deaths, while insiders in Iran Euronews spoke to and human rights activists fear that the number might surpass 30,000.
Tensions between Iran and the United States have also been rising since President Donald Trump renewed pressure on Tehran, even threatening a “massive armada” if Iran refused to return to negotiations over its nuclear programme.
“In the end, the regime will be changed from within by the people of Iran — and I certainly hope so,” Olmert said. “But I hope it can happen without a massive number of Iranian citizens being killed by the country’s leadership.”
Olmert added that despite Trump’s warnings, he does not believe that even a major American military strike would bring about regime change. “With all due respect to President Trump and his threats, I don’t think that even a massive American attack will change the regime,” Olmert said.
‘Same interests’ in high-stakes negotiations
High-stakes talks between Iran and the US began on Friday morning in Oman, with Iran’s nuclear programme and the regime’s brutal repression of protesters high on the agenda.
Ahead of the discussions, White House press secretary Karoline Leavitt said Trump had been “quite clear” in his demands, including insisting on “zero nuclear capability.” Trump also warned that Iran’s Ayatollah Ali Khamenei “should be very worried.”
Regional powers are hoping the talks could lead to a broader easing of tensions, fearing any escalation would further destabilise the Middle East.
Olmert said he hoped for an agreement that would end Iran’s nuclear ambitions and also halt its ballistic missile programme, though he admitted he was not optimistic.
He argued that both Washington and Tehran have a shared interest in presenting Iran’s nuclear threat — long described by Israel as an attempt to develop nuclear weapons — as no longer urgent.
“I think both sides have the same interests, strangely enough,” Olmert said. “The Americans want to claim they have completely destroyed the nuclear programme because the president needs to show he is a great winner. The Iranians, meanwhile, want to convince the Americans they have already done enough.”
Others, including Anour Gargash, adviser to the UAE president, have urged Tehran to seize the opportunity for diplomacy, rebuild its economy, and avoid another regional confrontation.
US Secretary of State Marco Rubio insisted that meaningful progress would require broader discussions beyond nuclear issues, including Iran’s ballistic missile capabilities, its support for armed groups across the region, and its treatment of its own citizens.
While there are no clear signs the Iranian regime is on the verge of collapse, mounting pressures — including economic mismanagement, corruption, heavy sanctions, currency instability, and soaring inflation — have placed the leadership under unprecedented strain.
Trump has not clarified whether regime change is an objective of any potential strikes, and Olmert warned that further US interference could backfire by strengthening the regime while it remains vulnerable.
He also noted that Iran is still recovering from last summer’s Operation Midnight Hammer, which severely damaged nuclear facilities and exposed weaknesses in air defences and intelligence.
“I don’t think negotiations will change it,” Olmert concluded. “In fact, perhaps the opposite — negotiations may strengthen the Revolutionary Guards and the ayatollahs, allowing them to carry on.”
World
Video. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties
Updated:
Former German Chancellor Angela Merkel was awarded the European Order of Merit on Tuesday. Merkel warned that Europe could no longer take peace and security for granted following Russia’s invasion of Ukraine. She also said changes in US security policy showed old certainties were fading.
World
Shakira Is Found Not Guilty of Tax Fraud in Spain
Spain’s national court announced on Monday that it had acquitted Shakira of tax fraud in a case more than a decade old, and ordered the country’s tax authorities to repay her tens of millions of dollars.
The ruling is part of the Colombian pop star’s yearslong legal battle with the Spanish authorities. Upholding an appeal she filed, it orders the state to return 55 million euros (about $64 million) plus interest to the singer. The court ruled in April but documents were released on Monday.
At the heart of the case were allegations that Shakira, 49, had been a resident of Spain in 2011 and therefore owed taxes to the Spanish government that year. Spain’s national court said that hadn’t been proven.
To be considered a tax resident in Spain, a person has to spend more than 183 days of the year in the country, have their main economic activities based there or have a spouse or children living there.
The court said in its statement that Shakira had been in Spain for 163 days in 2011. Spain’s tax authorities failed to prove “that the singer had the core of her economic interests in Spain and family relationships with residents in our country” during that year, according to the court.
José Luis Prada, Shakira’s lawyer, said in a statement that the ruling “represents a significant personal and reputational vindication for Shakira after more than eight years of litigation.”
The ruling announced Monday applies only to 2011. In a separate case, prosecutors had accused Shakira — whose full name is Shakira Isabel Mebarak Ripoll — of six counts of tax fraud, charging that she had failed to pay €14.5 million in income taxes to the Spanish government from 2012 to 2014.
In that case, prosecutors had sought an eight-year prison sentence and a fine of more than €23 million.
In November 2023, just before a trial was set to begin in Barcelona, Shakira reached a deal with Spanish prosecutors under which she agreed to receive a three-year suspended sentence and pay a fine of €7 million.
Shakira has repeatedly denied the accusations and said that she was not living in Spain during those years.
In a statement on Monday, the singer said that the ruling ended her fight with the Spanish tax authorities and that she had relocated to Miami. She said that she had been made an example of in order “to send a threatening message to the rest of the taxpayers.”
“For nearly a decade, I have been treated as guilty,” she said, adding: “Today, that narrative falls apart.”
According to court documents, prosecutors said that Shakira had bought a house in Barcelona in 2012 that became a primary home for her along with her former partner, the soccer star Gerard Piqué, and their son.
But the court found that in 2011 “there was no marital bond” between Shakira and a Spanish resident, nor were her children residing in Spain, according to the statement on Monday.
Shakira and Mr. Piqué announced their separation in 2022.
World
American tourists arrested in Japan after alleged break-in at viral monkey Punch’s enclosure
Punch the monkey makes new friends after bullying video goes viral
This video shows Punch, a young macaque in Japan who has gone viral, seeking physical contact not from his stuffed toy, but from another monkey, eventually climbing onto its back for a vital social behavior for young macaques known as the “piggyback ride.” Punch gained fame after his birth last year and his abandonment by his mother.
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Two American nationals were reportedly arrested in Japan on Sunday after one allegedly entered the enclosure of Punch, the young macaque at Ichikawa City Zoo who became famous online for his inseparable bond with a stuffed orangutan toy.
Videos circulating online appear to show a person dressed in an emoji costume climbing over a barrier into the Japanese macaque enclosure before dropping a small stuffed toy near the animals, startling them and causing them to retreat, according to Agence France-Presse (AFP).
The suspects were identified as a 24-year-old college student and a 27-year-old self-described singer, AFP reported.
PUNCH THE MONKEY, VIRAL STAR, EXPERIENCES DRAMATIC BREAKTHROUGH AMONG ZOO MATES
This photo taken on Feb. 19, 2026 shows Punch sitting with his stuffed orangutan toy at Ichikawa City Zoo. (JIJI PRESS / AFP via Getty Images)
Zoo staff quickly intervened, and authorities said neither suspect made physical contact with the monkeys, according to AFP.
Ichikawa Police told AFP the two men were arrested on suspicion of forcible obstruction of business.
One suspect was not cooperating with police, while the other denied the allegations, according to reports citing NHK.
In a statement posted to X on May 17, Ichikawa City Zoo confirmed the pair had been turned over to police and said safety inspections were conducted afterward.
ORPHANED BABY MONKEY FINDS COMFORT IN STUFFED ANIMAL AFTER BEING ABANDONED BY MOTHER AT BIRTH
Punch is seen with his stuffed animal on Feb. 20, 2026. (Photo by David Mareuil/Anadolu via Getty Images)
Officials added that no animals were injured during the incident.
“Around 10:50 today, there was an intruder in Saruyama,” the zoo wrote. “We are informing you that the two individuals, including the intruder in question, have been handed over to the police.”
The zoo also announced temporary viewing-area closures and enhanced security measures while operations continued as scheduled.
SEVERAL MONKEYS STILL ON THE LOOSE IN ST LOUIS AS OFFICIALS CALL OFF SEARCH FOR ROAMING ANIMALS
Punch became a viral sensation earlier this year after zoo staff gave him a stuffed orangutan toy for comfort. (@20230605x_x via Storyful)
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
The monkey had been abandoned by his mother shortly after birth in July 2025, prompting zookeepers to hand-raise him.
Fox News Digital’s Khloe Quill contributed to this report.
-
World7 minutes agoVideo. Merkel warns Europe can no longer rely on old security certainties
-
News37 minutes agoMinnesota becomes first state to ban prediction markets
-
New York2 hours agoVideo: Judge Grants Luigi Mangione’s Request to Supress Some Evidence
-
Los Angeles, Ca2 hours agoCardi B in the lead as 2026 BET Awards nominations announced
-
Detroit, MI3 hours agoSouthfield police chase ends in fiery crash in Detroit
-
San Francisco, CA3 hours agoSan Francisco ninth graders will now be measured by a controversial ‘Wheel of Power’ — so how would the city’s leaders fare? We put them to the test. – The Voice of San Francisco
-
Dallas, TX3 hours ago
Mailbag: Could Valdes-Scantling battle for WR3?
-
Miami, FL3 hours agoMen arrested for defacing Miami Beach pride bench with antisemitic graffiti, cops say