Connecticut
Bear euthanized after biting woman in Cheshire: DEEP
A black bear was euthanized after biting a woman in Cheshire on Saturday afternoon.
According to the Connecticut Department of Energy and Environmental Protection, officers from the Environmental Conservation Police responded around 4 p.m. Saturday to reports that a black bear had bitten an adult woman.
The woman sustained minor injuries in the attack and refused treatment, DEEP said.
Cheshire police said the bear approached the woman while she was sitting in her backyard in the area of Cornwall Avenue and Oak Avenue.
The 280-pound male bear — which police said was “slow moving” and did not appear healthy — fled the area before officers arrived on-scene.
DEEP said EnCon officers located and euthanized the the bear following a search of the area. The bear was subsequently turned over to DEEP wildlife biologists for testing.
The investigation into the incident is ongoing.
Connecticut
Creighton beats No. 5 UConn 91-84 for the Huskies’ first home conference loss
Josh Dix scored 13 of his 21 points in the second half, Nik Graves added 18 points and Creighton beat No. 5 UConn 91-84 on Wednesday night to spoil former Huskies star Emeka Okafor’s number retirement.
Creighton (14-13, 8-8 Big East) handed UConn (24-2, 14-2) its first conference home loss of the season. Creighton coach Greg McDermott became the first coach to beat a Dan Hurley-coached team four times on the road.
Okafor became the third UConn men’s basketball player to have his number retired, with the Huskies honoring the 2004 NCAA champion and national player of the year at halftime. Ray Allen and Richard Hamilton are the only players to have their numbers retired.
The Huskies led by seven points early in the second half, but shot 34% in the half.
Braylon Mullins led UConn with 25 points. Silas Demary Jr. added 17 points and nine assists. Tarris Reed Jr. had 15 points and 11 rebounds, but had just two points in the second half.
Fedor Zugic added 14 points for Creighton, which outscored UConn 27-11 at the foul line.
Mullins hit a 3-pointer at the halftime buzzer to tie it at 45. After Mullins hit consecutive 3s to put the Huskies up 63-59, UConn missed 10 of its next 11 shots during Creighton’s 14-2 run that put the Bluejays up by seven.
Up next
Creighton: At No. 17 St. John’s on Saturday.
UConn: At Villanova on Saturday.
___
Get poll alerts and updates on the AP Top 25 throughout the season. Sign up here. AP college basketball: https://apnews.com/hub/ap-top-25-college-basketball-poll and https://apnews.com/hub/college-basketball
Connecticut
ICE arrests alleged child sex offender released under Connecticut sanctuary laws
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
An illegal immigrant from Ecuador charged with sexual abuse of a child was arrested last week by federal authorities after he was previously released back onto the street because of Connecticut sanctuary policies, officials said.
U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) officers took Christian Espinosa-Sarango into custody on Feb. 13 in North Haven.
Espinosa-Sarango was charged on Dec. 19, 2025 with sexual assault, illegal sexual contact with a child, and enticing minors with a computer in North Haven, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) said.
“These are the types of monsters Connecticut sanctuary politicians are releasing from their jails and onto the streets to perpetuate more crimes against children,” said DHS Assistant Secretary Tricia McLaughlin.
‘WORST OF THE WORST’: ICE ARRESTS CHILD PREDATOR, VIOLENT CRIMINALS AMID SURGE IN ANTI-AGENT ATTACKS
Christian Espinosa-Sarango an alleged child sex predator, was arrested by ICE agents last week after he was released back onto Connecticut streets because of sanctuary policies, officials said. (Getty Images; Department of Homeland Security)
Espinosa-Sarango was reportedly conversing with an undercover law enforcement officer posing as the aunt of a 13-year-old girl through an “online casual encounter platform,” the New Haven Independent reported, citing court records.
After finding out the girl’s age, he allegedly asked for photographs of the young girl and sex, and made plans to meet with the child at a hotel room, where he was arrested.
Espinosa-Sarango attempted to flee in his vehicle and refused to roll his window down, prompting officers to break the glass, DHS said.
SANCTUARY POLICIES LET ALLEGED CHILD PREDATOR ROAM FREE UNTIL DHS MADE PORTLAND, OREGON, AIRPORT ARREST
During an interview with police, Espinosa-Sarango allegedly claimed he was intending to “save” the girl, the news report states. He said he didn’t call the police department because he wanted to see her first, according to the newspaper.
ICE lodged a detainer request with local law enforcement on Dec. 23, but it was ignored. Consequently, Espinosa-Sarango was released back into the community, DHS said.
DHS specifically criticized the Connecticut Trust Act, which limits information-sharing between local and state police and federal immigrant agents.
In April, the Trump administration listed Connecticut among states that have laws that impede the enforcement of federal immigration laws.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
“We need local law enforcement to cooperate with us to get these heinous criminals out of our neighborhoods,” McLaughlin said. “Seven of the 10 safest cities in the United States cooperate with ICE. This is a perfect example of why sanctuary policies make Americans less safe.
“Thankfully, because of our brave ICE agents, Christian Espinosa-Sarango, a pedophile, will never walk American streets again,” she added. “Sanctuary politicians must stop releasing pedophiles, murderers, rapists, and kidnappers into our neighborhoods.”
Connecticut
CT Lottery headquarters closed Tuesday over hazardous substance investigation
The Connecticut Lottery Corporation (CLC) said they received a letter with an unknown powder-like substance at its headquarters Tuesday.
According to lottery officials, local, state, and federal law enforcement responded. There were no hazardous materials found during environmental testing and no employees were injured.
The CT Lottery claims center was closed for the remainder of the day but will reopen on normal hours Wednesday.
“The Connecticut Lottery Corporation is grateful for the swift response and coordination of its law enforcement and public safety partners. The safety of employees, players, and the public remains the organization’s highest priority,” the company said in a statement.
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Politics7 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics7 days agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown