Connect with us

Boston, MA

Is Boston’s frontcourt their biggest roadblock to hanging a banner?

Published

on

Is Boston’s frontcourt their biggest roadblock to hanging a banner?


Jayson Tatum put in work to enhance his food plan and physique within the 2022 offseason, and his crew added bench depth to assist him out because the Boston Celtics star and his crew gear as much as make one other run at a title. So what’s the largest impediment to that objective for the St. Louis native? In line with Bleacher Report’s Dan Favale, it’s query marks within the frontcourt, and to date within the crew’s 2022-23 marketing campaign, Favale seems to be spot on in his evaluation.

“What as soon as appeared like one of many NBA’s most formative offseasons from the Boston Celtics has rapidly devolved into an amazing string of unknowns,” suggests the B/R analyst.

“Boston finds itself relying on a platoon of age-36 Al Horford, Grant Williams, Blake Griffin, Luke Kornet, and Noah Vonleh within the interim,” provides Favale. “Throw Tatum-at-center lineups in there, too.”

And whereas there have been promising outcomes, now we have seen how skinny Boston’s frontline rotations are within the wake of Grant Williams’ suspension. Whereas which will work till Timelord returns, there’s plenty of area for losses and put on on Horford within the interim.

“The Celtics’ entrance line is delicate—and, in consequence, so are the crew’s possibilities of rising from the Japanese Convention,” he notes, and whereas true, Boston does have instruments so as to add depth to the roster if wanted.

They usually’ll in all probability want it.

Hearken to the “Celtics Lab” podcast on:

Apple Podcasts: https://apple.co/3zBKQY6

Advertisement

Spotify: https://spoti.fi/3GfUPFi

YouTube: https://bit.ly/3F9DvjQ





Source link

Boston, MA

Justice Dept. tells Boston judge, DA to back off an ICE agent found in contempt of court

Published

on

Justice Dept. tells Boston judge, DA to back off an ICE agent found in contempt of court


Only hours after Boston’s top prosecutor criticized federal immigration officials on Wednesday as “extraordinarily reckless” for detaining a man mid-trial last week, the U.S. Department of Justice responded in a series of remarkable letters and court filings.

U.S. Attorney of Massachusetts Leah Foley issued a strongly worded letter to a Boston judge who found an immigration agent in contempt of court on Monday.

“While you may disagree with the enforcement of our federal immigration laws, there is simply no legal basis for you to hold federal officers in criminal contempt for carrying out their sworn duties,” Foley wrote. “Any attempt or threat to interfere with the lawful functions of federal government agents will not be tolerated.”

Boston Municipal Court Judge Mark Summerville addresses the court room, while holding an U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in contempt after he detained a suspect while he was on trial, Monday, March 31, 2025, in Boston. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP)AP

Advertisement

Foley, whose office operates under the U.S. Justice Department, also said that federal officials moved to vacate the order of contempt entered against an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent by the Boston Municipal Court.

Earlier on Wednesday, Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden described the situation as unprecedented when ICE apprehended a man in the middle of a trial on charges of falsifying RMV records.

Hayden said his office was investigating ICE agent Brian Sullivan after Judge Mark Summerville found him in contempt of court for interfering with the trial.

“We have a lot to go over in this case before we can determine exactly how it is we’re going to proceed,” he said.

In a separate letter addressed to Hayden, Foley strongly disagreed and called on him to “cease from entertaining or pursuing any charges” against the ICE officer or any other federal official.

Advertisement

“The fact that you disfavor ICE officers doing their jobs is not a basis for criminal charges,” Foley wrote to the district attorney. She said there is “no legal basis for such charges.”

“Rather than attacking the brave men and women enforcing laws of the United States, I urge you to work with us to identify, prosecute, and remove the criminals who break them,” Foley wrote.

Wilson Martell-Lebron, the 49-year-old man who was detained, had been at the Edward W. Brooke courthouse on Thursday for his first day of trial on falsifying RMV records, when he was taken by plainclothes ICE agents outside the courthouse.

Martell-Lebron is a citizen of the Dominican Republic who entered the country illegally and has no lawful status, according to a court filing by the Department of Homeland Security.

ICE officials first found a basis to remove him in October 2007, the filing states.

Advertisement

Foley said that he is in the country illegally, had prior arrests for serious drug trafficking offenses and was arrested pursuant to a valid federal warrant.

Court filings described how federal agents detained Martell-Lebron on Thursday. Sullivan, the ICE agent, was summonsed for the trial to testify and once the day’s proceedings ended, agents grabbed Martell-Lebron after he left the courthouse through a back exit.

Martell-Lebron “took a couple quick steps in the opposite direction before officers were able to seize him and make the arrest.”

Immigration-ICE-Contempt

This family photo provided by attorney’s shows Wilson Martell-Lebron. (Family photo/Erkan & Sullivan, PC via AP)AP

Foley said Wednesday that Sullivan and ICE’s actions were carried out lawfully.

“Our motion is clear: the state court lacked authority to issue the unlawful and erroneous order,” Foley wrote.

Advertisement

She cited the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution that immunizes federal officers from state prosecution for actions taken in the course of their official duties.

At the press conference on Wednesday, Hayden criticized ICE’s operations not only with Martell-Lebron, but across the city — and revealed the alarming effect the public’s fear has had on Boston courtrooms.

“ICE routinely claims that their actions are improving public safety in Boston, and I’m here today to tell you and to say that they are doing the exact opposite,” Hayden said.

“We’re now finding witnesses reluctant to cooperate with investigators, due to fear of ICE … We are seeing victims refuse to provide information about crimes against them, due to fear of ICE,” Hayden said.

Summerville, the Boston judge, said he found ICE agent Sullivan in contempt of the court after he committed “intentional and egregious violations of the defendant’s rights” by not allowing due process and a fair trial. Summerville referred the case to the Suffolk County district attorney’s office for an investigation.

Advertisement

On Monday, the judge also dismissed Martell-Lebron’s RMV case due to prosecutorial misconduct.



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Truck crash in Chinatown that hospitalized 4 people remains under investigation

Published

on

Truck crash in Chinatown that hospitalized 4 people remains under investigation


Multiple people remain in the hospital Wednesday after being hit by a box truck that apparently went out of control in Boston’s Chinatown on Tuesday afternoon.

An investigation is ongoing Wednesday.

The crash happened on the corner of Kneeland Street and Harrison Avenue, with the truck ending up wedged between Tora Ramen and a telephone pole.

Six people were injured, and four were transported to the hospital — including the driver of the Penske truck that lost control and crashed.

Advertisement

One of those patients is in critical condition at last check.

Four people, including the driver, were hospitalized after a crash in Chinatown.

Investigators tell us they’re looking into the possibility that the driver may have had a medical issue, as they believe he had a previously diagnosed medical condition.

Surveillance video shows the truck — that was rented out to a commercial trucking company – heading westbound on Kneeland Street moments before the accident.

Witnesses say they tried to help the driver who was trapped in the truck, and the others who were injured, as soon as they heard the crash.

Advertisement

“Preliminary investigation seems to indicate that this seems to be more of a tragic accident,” Boston Police Commissioner Michael Cox said.

Building inspectors are expected to check on the structural integrity of the building that was hit.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Heat-Celtics Injury Report: Boston Facing Playing Without Multiple Stars

Published

on

Heat-Celtics Injury Report: Boston Facing Playing Without Multiple Stars


The Boston Celtics listed Jaylen Brown, Kristaps Porzingis and Jrue Holiday as “questionable” ahead of their Wednesday night matchup against the Miami Heat. Al Horford is listed as “doubtful.”

Brown, averaging 22.4 points for the season, is dealing with right knee posterior impingement. Porzingis, who averages 19 points and seven rebounds, is dealing with “return from illness reconditioning.” Two-time champion Jrue Holiday is dealing with a right shoulder impingement. Five-time All-Star Al Horford is dealing with a big toe sprain.

The Heat remain without Andrew Wiggins, Duncan Robinson, Kevin Love and Nikola Jovic.

Here’s the rest of the injury report and game preview:

Advertisement

HEAT

Alec Burks: Available – Back

Andrew Wiggins: Out – Hamstring

Duncan Robinson: Out – Back

Kevin Love: Out – Personal Reasons

Advertisement

Nikola Jovic: Out – Hand

Dru Smith: Out – Achilles

CELTICS

Jaylen Brown: Questionable – Knee

Kristaps Porzingis: Questionable – Return from illness

Advertisement

Jrue Holiday: Questionable – Shoulder

Al Horford: Doubtful – Toe

Game time: 7:30 p.m., TD Garden, Boston

Betting line: N/A

VITALS: : The Heat and Celtics meet for the fourth and final regular season matchup this season. The Heat lost all three matchups, (89-108 in Dec., 85-103 in February and 91-103 in mid-March). The Heat lost all three to the Celtics last season before their eventual first round elimination in the same season. The Heat are 53-86 all-time versus the Celtics during the regular season, including 30-42 in home games and 22-44 in road games.

Advertisement

PROJECTED STARTERS

HEAT

G Tyler Herro

G Alec Burks

C Kel’el Ware

Advertisement

F Pelle Larsson

F Bam Adebayo

CELTICS

G Payton Pritchard

G Derrick White

Advertisement

C Xavier Tillman Sr.

F Sam Hauser

F Jayson Tatum

QUOTABLE

Heat guard Tyler Herro: “I feel like since I’ve been on the Heat, that’s how we’ve always been at our best, just the ball popping. We used to say the ball has magic to it when it’s moving and finding the energy, finding open guys, open spots. I thought we came out really intentional, sharing the ball and just letting the ball find open guys.”

Advertisement

Alexander Toledo is a contributor to Miami Heat On SI and producer/co-host of the Five on the Floor podcast, covering the Heat and NBA. He can be reached at toledoalexander22@gmail.com. Twitter: @tropicalblanket



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending