Connect with us

Boston, MA

Former Boston Celtics Teammates Reunited In Surprising Trade

Published

on

Former Boston Celtics Teammates Reunited In Surprising Trade


One of the downsides to Boston’s incredible championship run was the need to break up the core of the team because of the new CBA and the second apron rule. 

“We knew going into this year, regardless of how [last season] ended, that we were going to have some really hard decisions to make because of the penalties,” Brad Stevens said in the offseason. “That was part of making the decision to push in and put our chips on the table and go for it the last two years. But we’ve known for a long time that hard decisions were coming.”

Those hard decisions resulted in Jrue Holiday going to Portland and Kristaps Porzingis going to Atlanta in trades. Al Horford went to Golden State and Luke Kornet to San Antonio because they got more money than Boston could offer. 

Advertisement

And while the Celtics are surprisingly good this season, tied for second in the East after their shocking blowout win over Houston, there’s always a little bit of sadness when thinking back at the championship run Boston made with all of those players, and that it had to be broken up so quickly. 

Advertisement

But in a surprising twist before the trade deadline, two of those teammates will be reunited. 

Kristaps Porzingis is going to the Golden State Warriors as part of a deal that sends Jonathan Kuminga and Buddy Hield to Atlanta. 

According to ESPN, the Warriors pivoted to a backup plan because they received signals from the Bucks that a Giannis Antetokounmpo trade wouldn’t be completed by the Thursday 3 p.m. deadline. 

The Warriors had grown desperate to move Kuminga after long, growing acrimony built up in the locker room over his role. It was clear that the relationship between Kuminga and head coach Steve Kerr wasn’t salvageable, so there was no turning back on moving him, even after Jimmy Butler was lost for the season to a knee injury. 

Advertisement

It’s an interesting position for Porzingis, who has missed most of the season with an illness and Achilles tendinitis. If he can get healthy again for the Warriors, he’ll get another opportunity to be a major contributor to a team hoping to make a run to the NBA Finals. 

Advertisement

The Celtics missed two opportunities to face off against Porzingis, as he missed both games in January due to the Achilles issue. Porzingis declined to meet with the Boston media in Atlanta and was not present in Boston when the Hawks visited last week. 

Now, the team will get two more chances, the first coming on February 19 in San Francisco, where the Celtics begin their annual post-All-Star West Coast swing. There’s another chance for Boston fans to see Porzingis when the Warriors visit Boston on March 18. 



Source link

Advertisement

Boston, MA

Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead

Published

on

Dorchester shooting leaves young man dead


A young man was shot and killed in Boston early Friday morning

Advertisement

The shooting near 260 Bowdoin St. in Dorchester was caught on surveillance video that showed a group of people running and ducking for cover behind cars in a parking lot.

Boston police confirmed one person died in the shooting, which happened at about 1 a.m. Family members identified the victim as 21-year-old Giovanni Bala. They lit candles with messages written on them, remembering Bala as a loving and caring person.

dorchester-shooting-candles.jpg

Giovanni Bala was killed in a Dorchester shooting, his family says.

CBS Boston


“It’s a sad situation. I’ve never seen this happen in this area before,” said Oral Pierre, the manager of One Family Diner. 

Advertisement

The restaurant’s cameras captured the shooting and the chaos that followed. Pierre has worked at his family’s restaurant for 20 years and was shocked to see the large crime scene when he got to work Friday morning.

“We saw in the parking lot two cars with bullet holes,” he said. “And when I get the video I saw about 15 people in the parking lot just running and shooting.”

Police shut down the area of Bowdoin and Hamilton streets with crime tape. Investigators scoured the area with police dogs and three cars were towed from the scene.

Kelvin Bell lives nearby and was upset to see violence in his neighborhood.

“I just heard loud bangs, commotion and sirens,” he said. “I just shook my head and said ‘enough is enough’ with the gun play. Whatever this is isn’t important enough to be taking lives. Trust me, this is not a video game, you can’t press reset.”

Advertisement

The Boston Police homicide unit is investigating. There’s no word on a motive or any arrests. 



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe

Published

on

FIFA permit delays for watch parties deepen World Cup woes in Massachusetts – The Boston Globe


“To say we’re frustrated is an understatement,” said Sandhya Iyer, director of economic development and tourism for Lexington, which had hoped to host World Cup fan parties on the lawn of the town’s visitors center but is still waiting on a permit from FIFA.

Iyer is so frustrated by the delay that she recently placed a handmade sign on the site that says, “Give Us a License to Celebrate Soccer.”

“There are times I wish . . . this was all over,” she said.

As one of 16 host communities, Boston is scheduled to stage seven games at Gillette, with the first one scheduled for June 13.

Advertisement

Massachusetts officials on Thursday said FIFA has granted public viewing licenses to only four of the 17 organizations that have received state money for local watch parties and related festivities.

As a result, thousands of soccer fans who were not planning to see the games in person — including members of Chelsea’s large Hispanic community and Cape Verdean communities in Brockton — could miss out on the opportunity to cheer on their national teams in a shared communal celebration.

FIFA has not responded to multiple requests over the past two weeks from the Globe for comment on its licensing process.

Meanwhile, in a new finding from the lodging industry, 70 percent of surveyed hotels in Boston reported bookings for the World Cup were below projections. Many hoteliers describe the tournament as a “non-event,” citing weak international demand. (Meet Boston, the city’s private sector marketing and tourism arm, separately said hotel bookings for June and July are still higher than a year earlier.)

Ticket sales for trains to Gillette, which planners had expected to deliver as many as 20,000 fans to each game — are at roughly one-third capacity. T officials said they expected that pace of sales; they point to the friendly soccer match between Brazil and France in March, seen as a test run for the World Cup games, where many train tickets were sold at the last minute. They believe a similar pattern will unfold once the games begin here.

Advertisement

Another headache surfaced this week: a clash between Mayor Michelle Wu’s administration and state transportation officials over crowd-control plans outside South Station. State officials want to close part of a nearby street during the tournament. The city says no. The state says it plans to proceed anyway. Lengthy meetings this week between the two sides have so far failed to produce a resolution.

Meanwhile, the licensing delays have sparked a new round of finger-pointing over World Cup preparations, with local officials and business leaders blaming FIFA for dragging its feet on the required permits and other organizers accusing the Healey administration of raising expectations prematurely by awarding millions of dollars in grants for events that may never come to fruition.

The watch parties were supposed to expand the Cup celebration around the state and provide an alternative for those who can’t afford the high-priced ticketed events at Gillette.

“We can do a celebration but if you can’t show the game, then who’s gonna come?” said Nelson Fernandes, deputy chief of staff to Brockton Mayor Moises Rodrigues. “It’s pointless.”

Brockton had anticipated up to 6,000 fans packing Campanelli Stadium for the June 15 game between Spain and Cape Verde, the small island nation off the coast of West Africa that is competing in the World Cup for the first time. Nearly one-fifth of Brockton residents are of Cape Verdean descent, and the city was also planning a second watch party in the stadium for the June 13 match between Haiti and Scotland.

Advertisement

“We saw this as a monumental opportunity for our community,” said Fernandes.

Burlington, meanwhile, has already thrown in the towel, abandoning plans for a large watch party on the town common, in part because of the licensing delay from FIFA. Instead it will stage smaller events, including game viewings at a local bar and restaurant, as well as a youth soccer clinic and educational program at the local library..

“It’s all so `unfun,’ ” said Melisa Tintocalis, Burlington’s director of economic development, of the licensing bottleneck. “It’s hard to understand exactly why there are these delays, given that it benefits FIFA to have more eyes and more exposure.”

To support the community events, the state this spring awarded $10 million in grants to 17 organizations that were planning World Cup-related celebrations in 25 communities across the state, from the North Shore to the foothills of the Berkshires.

“By investing in community celebrations across Massachusetts, we’re making sure this global event delivers for people in every region,” Governor Maura Healey said in March.

Advertisement

But that vision clashed with an unexpected obstacle: FIFA’s requirement that organizers secure public viewing licenses before airing any of the events. Without those approvals, soccer’s governing body says, municipalities cannot legally show the matches in public. Many town and city officials believed it would be a simple matter of getting permission, not months of waiting until the timing approaches what many say is a red-zone for their planning.

So far, the only entities to receive licenses are the cities of Boston, Cambridge, and Salem, and the MetroWest Tourism and Visitors Bureau, which is organizing events in Franklin and Marlborough, state officials said.

Most local planners say they have been unable to get clear answers from FIFA, and are instead repeatedly directed back to its online licensing portal.

In some cases, FIFA has messaged local planners for information about their commercial sponsors, to ensure they don’t violate exclusive deals that FIFA has already signed with large corporations, municipal officials said. The pool of such sponsors was already small because FIFA prohibits deals with competitors of its existing sponsors. For instance, a town World Cup watch party can’t be sponsored by a local brewery, because FIFA already has an exclusive deal with Anheuser-Busch InBev, the world’s biggest brewer.

Now, cities are facing a series of thorny decisions. Do they scale back and hold smaller watch parties in restaurants and pubs, where licenses aren’t required? Do they move forward with contracts for security, food trucks, and jumbo screens without knowing whether they’ll be allowed to show the games? Or do they scrap the events altogether and return the state money?

Advertisement

Kate Fox, executive director of the Massachusetts Office of Travel and Tourism, said local officials are doing all they can to support municipalities, but noted the process is administered independently by FIFA and its North American broadcasters, Fox and Telemundo.

The local host committee for the games in Foxborough, Boston Soccer 26, did not respond to a request for an update on the licensing hold-ups. Last week, its chief executive, Mike Loynd, said the group expected answers on the licensing issue from FIFA “by the end of (last) week.”

That host committee has had its own struggles as well, that include organizational issues, fund-raising shortcomings, and a messy public spat with Foxborough over funding security around the stadium.


Chris Serres can be reached at chris.serres@globe.com. Follow him @ChrisSerres. Michael Silverman can be reached at michael.silverman@globe.com.





Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

What’s happening in and around Boston during the World Cup

Published

on

What’s happening in and around Boston during the World Cup


The 2026 FIFA World Cup, kicking off June 11, is expected to draw large crowds to Massachusetts, with matches scheduled at Boston Stadium (aka Gillette Stadium) across six different dates.

But it’s not the only major event happening across the Greater Boston area this summer, as the World Cup also overlaps with plenty of exciting local celebrations.

Whether you live in Massachusetts or are visiting for the World Cup, take a look at these events that promise an unforgettable experience:

GroundBeat Concert Series

The Esplanade along the Charles River will host a series of free waterfront concerts celebrating Boston’s vibrant music scene. All performances take place at the iconic DCR Hatch Memorial Shell at 47 David G. Mugar Way, and each event features live music, vendors, outdoor games and activities for the whole family—plus beautiful views of the Charles River. The concerts announced so far will be held Sunday, May 31; Wednesday, June 3; Wednesday, June 10; and Wednesday, June 17. For the full schedule and to register to attend, click here.

Advertisement

Boston FIFA Fan Fest

From June 12-27, the city will host the fan festival at City Hall. The daily event is free for all ages, with games, music, live entertainment, local vendors, and broadcasts of multiple World Cup matches. Attendees must register in advance, since only 5,000 fans will be allowed in due to security screening.

Guinness Record for the World’s Biggest Soccer Ball

On June 13, Massport will attempt to break the Guinness record for the biggest soccer ball in the world in East Boston. The free community event will take place from noon to 4 p.m. at Piers Park II. The day will include family activities, games, and live entertainment, though World Cup matches will not be shown. The installation will be open to the public from June 12-18.

Boston Dragon Boat Festival

The 2026 Boston Dragon Boat Festival will be held on Sunday, June 14. This event welcomes more than 70 teams and over 60,000 attendees and athletes. The festival day includes arts and crafts activities, performances, food vendors, and racing competitions.

Bunker Hill Parade

The Bunker Hill Parade commemorates the Battle of Bunker Hill, the armed forces, and the spirit of American heritage, while celebrating Boston’s historic Charlestown neighborhood. The event will take place on June 14 at 12:30 p.m., and the march runs from Vine Street to Bunker Hill Street, then to Main Street, to Monument Avenue, to Monument Square, to Winthrop Street and ending at Common Street. Considered one of the longest-running parades in the United States, it’s a wonderful chance—if you’re visiting during the World Cup—to experience authentic Boston.

Boston Asian Food Festival

This food festival is scheduled for June 20-21 from 11 a.m. to 6 p.m. on the Rose Kennedy Greenway on Atlantic Ave. The festival features delicious food, fun games, live performances, live music, and a DJ keeping the energy up all day long. More information here.

Advertisement

Boston Harborfest

From July 2-4, this festival will offer hundreds of activities during Independence Day week at the city’s most iconic historic landmarks. This family-friendly event is Boston’s Official Fourth of July Celebration. Boston Harborfest activities include the annual opening ceremony in Downtown Crossing, historical reenactments, live music, fireworks, and much more!

Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular

The Boston Pops Fireworks Spectacular returns to the Hatch Shell on the Charles River Esplanade for its 52nd edition on Saturday, July 4, from 7-9:30 p.m. The Pops concert will feature three very special guest artists: Grammy-winning country superstar Lainey Wilson, three-time Grammy winner Chance the Rapper, and Grammy-winning NOLA icon Trombone Shorty. The event will conclude with a stunning fireworks show that will light up the Charles River, synchronized to music performed by the Boston Pops starting at 9:15 p.m.

Sail Boston

Boston is an official port of Sail250, a global gathering of tall ships and military vessels celebrating the 250th anniversary of the founding of the United States. The Tall Ships return to Boston Harbor from July 11-16. This spectacular event offers crews, cadets, and visitors from around the world an unforgettable experience and a first-class maritime celebration. Come see why Tall Ships America named Boston its Port of the Year in 2009 and 2017.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending