Connect with us

Boston, MA

Dave Chappelle triggers walkout from Boston show after pro-Palestine statements

Published

on

Dave Chappelle triggers walkout from Boston show after pro-Palestine statements


During a recent standup gig at the TD Garden Arena in Boston on Thursday, Dave Chappelle weighed in on the Hamas-Israel war. The 50-year-old comedian triggered a walkout after he condemned the Hamas terror attack on Israel and criticised Israel’s retaliatory bombing of Gaza citing “two wrongs don’t make a right.” As per the two audience members, he accused the Israeli government of “killing innocent women and children” with American taxpayer dollars “while the whole world sits silently and watches.” He also criticised Israel for cutting off electricity and water in Gaza.

Dave Chappelle speaks at the press conference at the Toronto International Film Festival.(Evan Agostini/Invision/AP)

ALSO READ: ‘Blessing’, grieving father relieved his daughter was killed and not kidnapped by Hamas

As Chappelle went on, one of the audience members told him to “shut up,” but the comedian’s words ignited chants of “free Palestine,” from a portion of the crowd. Others asked, “What about Hamas?” Upon hearing the chants, Chappelle said, “You’re damn right, Free Palestine,” before discussing his Muslim faith, as per Consequence. His comments led some of the audience to stand up and leave the show. Moreover, he also said that the pro-Palestine students who protested for a ceasefire should not have lost their jobs.

Advertisement

An audience member who left the show, expressed his disgust on social media, saying, “The audience was cheering Chappelle on during his tirade. I was sick. We were sick. I turned to my friends and wife and said I think it is time to go. We walked out and met up with many other Jews leaving the show. Never in my life have I felt so unsafe and so fearful of what I was witnessing,” according to the Daily Mail. Several social media users condemned his words and wrote in favour of the walkout. An X user also shared the statement by one of the audience members who walked out.

“Exciting news! Hindustan Times is now on WhatsApp Channels Subscribe today by clicking the link and stay updated with the latest news!” Click here!



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Boston, MA

Federal judge in Boston to hold hearing today on detained Tufts student

Published

on

Federal judge in Boston to hold hearing today on detained Tufts student



Federal judge in Boston to hold hearing today on detained Tufts student – CBS Boston

Advertisement














Advertisement


























Watch CBS News

Advertisement

A federal judge will hold a hearing Thursday regarding a Tufts University student taken into custody in Massachusetts and moved to Louisiana last week. WBZ TV’s Penny Kmitt reports.

Advertisement

Be the first to know

Get browser notifications for breaking news, live events, and exclusive reporting.


Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Justice Dept. tells Boston judge, DA to back off an ICE agent found in contempt of court

Published

on

Justice Dept. tells Boston judge, DA to back off an ICE agent found in contempt of court


Only hours after Boston’s top prosecutor criticized federal immigration officials on Wednesday as “extraordinarily reckless” for detaining a man mid-trial last week, the U.S. Department of Justice responded in a series of remarkable letters and court filings.

U.S. Attorney of Massachusetts Leah Foley issued a strongly worded letter to a Boston judge who found an immigration agent in contempt of court on Monday.

“While you may disagree with the enforcement of our federal immigration laws, there is simply no legal basis for you to hold federal officers in criminal contempt for carrying out their sworn duties,” Foley wrote. “Any attempt or threat to interfere with the lawful functions of federal government agents will not be tolerated.”

Boston Municipal Court Judge Mark Summerville addresses the court room, while holding an U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement agent in contempt after he detained a suspect while he was on trial, Monday, March 31, 2025, in Boston. (Pat Greenhouse/The Boston Globe via AP)AP

Advertisement

Foley, whose office operates under the U.S. Justice Department, also said that federal officials moved to vacate the order of contempt entered against an Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) agent by the Boston Municipal Court.

Earlier on Wednesday, Suffolk County District Attorney Kevin Hayden described the situation as unprecedented when ICE apprehended a man in the middle of a trial on charges of falsifying RMV records.

Hayden said his office was investigating ICE agent Brian Sullivan after Judge Mark Summerville found him in contempt of court for interfering with the trial.

“We have a lot to go over in this case before we can determine exactly how it is we’re going to proceed,” he said.

In a separate letter addressed to Hayden, Foley strongly disagreed and called on him to “cease from entertaining or pursuing any charges” against the ICE officer or any other federal official.

Advertisement

“The fact that you disfavor ICE officers doing their jobs is not a basis for criminal charges,” Foley wrote to the district attorney. She said there is “no legal basis for such charges.”

“Rather than attacking the brave men and women enforcing laws of the United States, I urge you to work with us to identify, prosecute, and remove the criminals who break them,” Foley wrote.

Wilson Martell-Lebron, the 49-year-old man who was detained, had been at the Edward W. Brooke courthouse on Thursday for his first day of trial on falsifying RMV records, when he was taken by plainclothes ICE agents outside the courthouse.

Martell-Lebron is a citizen of the Dominican Republic who entered the country illegally and has no lawful status, according to a court filing by the Department of Homeland Security.

ICE officials first found a basis to remove him in October 2007, the filing states.

Advertisement

Foley said that he is in the country illegally, had prior arrests for serious drug trafficking offenses and was arrested pursuant to a valid federal warrant.

Court filings described how federal agents detained Martell-Lebron on Thursday. Sullivan, the ICE agent, was summonsed for the trial to testify and once the day’s proceedings ended, agents grabbed Martell-Lebron after he left the courthouse through a back exit.

Martell-Lebron “took a couple quick steps in the opposite direction before officers were able to seize him and make the arrest.”

Immigration-ICE-Contempt

This family photo provided by attorney’s shows Wilson Martell-Lebron. (Family photo/Erkan & Sullivan, PC via AP)AP

Foley said Wednesday that Sullivan and ICE’s actions were carried out lawfully.

“Our motion is clear: the state court lacked authority to issue the unlawful and erroneous order,” Foley wrote.

Advertisement

She cited the Supremacy Clause of the Constitution that immunizes federal officers from state prosecution for actions taken in the course of their official duties.

At the press conference on Wednesday, Hayden criticized ICE’s operations not only with Martell-Lebron, but across the city — and revealed the alarming effect the public’s fear has had on Boston courtrooms.

“ICE routinely claims that their actions are improving public safety in Boston, and I’m here today to tell you and to say that they are doing the exact opposite,” Hayden said.

“We’re now finding witnesses reluctant to cooperate with investigators, due to fear of ICE … We are seeing victims refuse to provide information about crimes against them, due to fear of ICE,” Hayden said.

Summerville, the Boston judge, said he found ICE agent Sullivan in contempt of the court after he committed “intentional and egregious violations of the defendant’s rights” by not allowing due process and a fair trial. Summerville referred the case to the Suffolk County district attorney’s office for an investigation.

Advertisement

On Monday, the judge also dismissed Martell-Lebron’s RMV case due to prosecutorial misconduct.



Source link

Continue Reading

Boston, MA

Truck crash in Chinatown that hospitalized 4 people remains under investigation

Published

on

Truck crash in Chinatown that hospitalized 4 people remains under investigation


Multiple people remain in the hospital Wednesday after being hit by a box truck that apparently went out of control in Boston’s Chinatown on Tuesday afternoon.

An investigation is ongoing Wednesday.

The crash happened on the corner of Kneeland Street and Harrison Avenue, with the truck ending up wedged between Tora Ramen and a telephone pole.

Six people were injured, and four were transported to the hospital — including the driver of the Penske truck that lost control and crashed.

Advertisement

One of those patients is in critical condition at last check.

Four people, including the driver, were hospitalized after a crash in Chinatown.

Investigators tell us they’re looking into the possibility that the driver may have had a medical issue, as they believe he had a previously diagnosed medical condition.

Surveillance video shows the truck — that was rented out to a commercial trucking company – heading westbound on Kneeland Street moments before the accident.

Witnesses say they tried to help the driver who was trapped in the truck, and the others who were injured, as soon as they heard the crash.

Advertisement

“Preliminary investigation seems to indicate that this seems to be more of a tragic accident,” Boston Police Commissioner Michael Cox said.

Building inspectors are expected to check on the structural integrity of the building that was hit.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending