Connect with us

Ohio

How Workers Got Sick While Cleaning Ohio Derailment Site

Published

on

How Workers Got Sick While Cleaning Ohio Derailment Site


The creeks around East Palestine, Ohio, were so badly contaminated by last year’s disastrous Norfolk Southern derailment that some workers became sick during the cleanup.

Workers who reported headaches and nausea — while shooting compressed air into the creek bed, which releases chemicals from the sediment and water — were sent back to their hotels to rest, according to a report obtained by The Associated Press about their illnesses.

The findings were not released to the public last spring, despite residents’ concerns about the potential health effects of exposure to the long list of chemicals that spilled and burned after the disaster. The workers’ symptoms, as described in the report, are consistent with what Centers for Disease Control and Prevention workers going door-to-door in town had reported shortly after the Feb. 3, 2023, derailment.

Read more: East Palestine, One Year After Train Derailment

Advertisement

Since then some residents have also reported unexplained rashes, asthma and other respiratory problems, and serious diseases including male breast cancer.

Researchers are still determining how many of those health problems can be linked to the derailment and how the disaster will impact the long-term health of residents in the area near the Ohio-Pennsylvania border. Many wonder whether there will be cancer clusters down the road, which of course won’t be clear for years.

In the meantime, residents have until Aug. 22 to decide whether to accept up to $25,000 — as part of a $600 million class action settlement with the railroad to compensate them for any future health problems. Accepting that money though means giving up the right to sue later, when the cost of health care coverage and specific treatments needed will become more clear.

Norfolk Southern spokesperson Heather Garcia said none of the workers who got sick during the cleanup “reported lingering or long-term symptoms.”

“The health and safety of our employees, contractors, and the community has been paramount throughout the recovery in East Palestine,” Garcia said.

Advertisement

The creek cleanup work continued, but nearly three weeks later, another worker got sick. This time, it was halted altogether. While there’ve been other cleanup projects since then, they’ve stopped using high-pressure air knife tools.

Independent toxicologist George Thompson who has been following the aftermath of the Ohio wreck said the cleanup contractors, overseen by the Environmental Protection Agency, should have known the work they were doing would release chemicals from the sediment into the air and water. In fact, that is what CTEH was monitoring while the project was underway. And with one of the main streams, Sulphur Run, going directly through town and in culverts under homes and offices, Thompson said those chemicals could have infiltrated buildings.

“You’re just spreading out the chemicals for exposure,” Thompson said. “And I just think that it was not an informed decision to use air knifing at all.”

Resident Jami Wallace said she lost her voice for two weeks after she got too close to one of the air knifing machines, which was placed near her driveway. She said when the machine was turned on, it felt like being hit by an invisible wall emitting a sweet chemical smell much like when the train derailed.

The report from CTEH was submitted to Unified Command, the group overseeing disaster response — which included federal, state and local officials along with Norfolk Southern — but no one released it despite significant public interest. CTEH’s principal toxicologist Paul Nony confirmed the report was given to the command center, and officials there were alerted about the illnesses.

Advertisement

When CDC workers got sick — also with headaches and nausea — it generated headlines nationwide.

East Palestine resident Misti Allison said not enough is being done to monitor long-term health effects on the community, and this report substantiates their health concerns. She said this report should have never been kept from the public.

“It’s absolutely egregious, and that shouldn’t happen. I think that any type of information like that — just like when the CDC workers came to the area and got sick — that should be disclosed instead of diminished,” Allison said. “Especially when it comes to human health, nothing should be swept under the rug.”

The East Palestine derailment that happened on the night of Feb. 3, 2023, was easily the worst rail disaster since a crude oil train leveled the small Canadian town of Lac Megantic and killed 47 people in 2013. It prompted a national reckoning with rail safety and calls for reform — although proposals for new industry rules have stalled in Congress.

Thirty-eight cars derailed, including 11 carrying hazardous materials such as butyl acrylate and vinyl chloride. After the crash, a fire burned for days. Fearing the five vinyl chloride cars would explode, officials then needlessly blew them open, and intentionally burned the toxic plastic ingredient.

Advertisement

That created a massive plume of thick black smoke over the area. The NTSB determined that the decision-makers that day never received the key opinion — that the cars were not likely to explode — from the chemical manufacturer.

The major freight railroads responded by pledging to add hundreds more trackside detectors nationwide to help spot mechanical problems. They also reevaluated the way they respond to alerts and even before alerts, the way they track rising temperatures from an overheating wheel bearing.

This summer’s completion of the NTSB investigation into the crash brought renewed hope that Congress might pass a rail safety bill, but little action has been taken outside of a House hearing on the subject last month.

CTEH said that its environmental testing around the creeks confirmed there were elevated levels of an assortment of chemicals in the air and sediment. Still, the group didn’t find either of the two chemicals of greatest concern: vinyl chloride or butyl acrylate. Sediment testing at nine locations along the creeks where cleanup workers reported strong odors did show 37 different chemical compounds that were primarily either hydrocarbons or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons.

Because of that, CTEH said it was clear that some of the contamination in the creeks came from industries that operated in the area years before the 2023 derailment. Still, those compounds could have also been created from chemicals burning after the train crash.

Advertisement

Nony, the head CTEH toxicologist, said that his company’s responsibility during the air knifing operation was primarily to monitor air quality.

The EPA has said that it doesn’t believe people are being exposed to any toxic chemicals on an ongoing basis because concerning levels of chemicals haven’t been found in their air and water tests since the evacuation order was lifted.

In follow-up testing this year, the agency did find small amounts of vinyl chloride and other chemicals at the crash site, but citing only small amounts and the fact that the contaminated soil was removed, the agency said they don’t represent a risk to human health.

The overall clean up effort in East Palestine is expected to be completed sometime later this year.



Source link

Advertisement

Ohio

Michigan State basketball vs. Ohio State tipoff: Matchup analysis and a prediction

Published

on

Michigan State basketball vs. Ohio State tipoff: Matchup analysis and a prediction


play

• What: Michigan State vs. Ohio State

• When: 1 p.m. Sunday

Advertisement

• Where: Breslin Center

TV/Radio: CBS/Spartan Sports Network radio, including WJIM 1240-AM and WMMQ 94.9-FM; SiriusXM Ch. 83 (MSU broadcast), 380 (Ohio State broadcast)

• Records/Rankings: MSU is 21-5 overall and 11-4 in the Big Ten, and ranked No. 15 by both the Associated Press and USA TODAY Coaches poll. The Spartans are No. 12 in the NET rankings and No. 10 per the college basketball analytics site Kenpom.com. Ohio State is 17-9 overall, 9-6 in the Big Ten, and unranked by both major polls, while being No. 38 in the NET rankings and No. 36 by Kenpom.

• Betting line: MSU -10.5

• Coaches: Michigan State — Tom Izzo is 758-307 in his 31st season as a head coach, all with the Spartans. Ohio State — Jake Diebler is 42-27 in his third season as a head coach (second full season) and with the Buckeyes.

Advertisement

• Series: MSU leads 76-61 all-time. MSU won the only meeting last year, 69-62 in Columbus.

Projected lineups

MSU

C (15) Carson Cooper (6-11) 10.0

PF (0) Jaxon Kohler (6-9) 12.4

Advertisement

SF (55) Coen Carr (6-5) 11.9

SG (6) Jordan Scott (6-7) 5.8

PG (1) Jeremy Fears Jr. (6-2) 15.1

Ohio State

C (13) Christoph Tilly (7-0) 11.4

Advertisement

PF (1) Amare Bynum (6-8) 9.6

SF (21) Devin Royal (6-6) 14.0

SG (3) Taison Chatman (6-4) 4.3

PG (2) Bruce Thornton (6-2) 19.9

Advertisement

• MSU update: The Spartans are coming off a much-needed win and performance Tuesday against UCLA. At 11-4 in Big Ten play, MSU is out of the Big Ten title race, but playing important games now for NCAA tournament seeding and, to a lesser extent, Big Ten tournament seeding. The Spartans are very much in the hunt for a 3 seed in the NCAA tournament, which would be a far better path than being a 4 or 5 seed in terms of their path to a deep run. Getting to a 2 seed isn’t out of the realm of possibility, though it would take some work, perhaps wins at Purdue and at Michigan.

Before the Spartans can worry about that, they’ve got to handle business at home against Ohio State. MSU is the No. 6 team in the country in defensive efficiency and No. 40 in offensive efficiency, per Kenpom, and the Spartans are No. 2 in defensive rebounding percentage and No. 6 in offensive rebounding. MSU point guard Jeremy Fears Jr. continues to lead the country in assists at 9.2 per game.

MORE: Couch: Unless something changes, Michigan State basketball’s offensive limitations will be an insurmountable hurdle

• Ohio State update: The Buckeyes just walloped Wisconsin, 86-69, Tuesday night for their most impressive win of the season. Senior guard Bruce Thornton, who’s become one of those players who it seems has been around for a decade, is playing like he’s determined to taste an NCAA tournament before he’s done. Ohio State last reached the Big Dance in 2021-22, the year before Thornton arrived. The Buckeyes have a decent shot to make it this season. Right now they’re projected right on the NCAA bubble by a number of bracketologists. The win over Wisconsin helped. Winning at MSU would do wonders for their case. Hurting their chances is a hand injury to sophomore guard John Mobley, the team’s second-leading scorer and most prolific shooter. Mobley is out indefinitely after having surgery on his hand after suffering the injury during the USC game on Feb. 11. Since he’s been out, Ohio State has lost to Virginia on a neutral court and bludgeoned the Badgers at home.

Advertisement

• Matchup analysis: The loss of Mobley hurts the Buckeyes. He was shooting 40% on 175 3-point attempts. Mobley’s replacement in the starting lineup, redshirt sophomore Taison Chatman, is a strong shooter, who’s made 2 of 4 3-point tries in each of his two starts and is 17-for-32 from deep on the season. Thornton is a three-level scorer. He’s the engine and an elite pick-and-roll guard, a bucket-getter more than he’s a distributor, though he’s had eight assists twice in the last three games. He’s also scored 56 points over the two games without Mobley. I don’t think MSU will want to risk Fears getting in foul trouble defending Thornton. I’d expect Jordan Scott to get that assignment and see if he can do to Thornton what he did to Illinois’ Keaton Wagler. Disrupting Thornton is the key to limiting an Ohio State offense that ranks 22nd nationally in Kenpom and is among the top five in the Big Ten.

While the Buckeyes have some shooters, they’re at their best inside the arc and getting to the free-throw line, where they shoot close to 80%. Devin Royal can be a tough matchup on the wing, but it’s one that MSU is equipped to handle with Coen Carr and perhaps Cam Ward. Christopher Tilly, a Santa Clara transfer, is 7-feet and skilled offensively, but not a great defender or rebounder.

• Prediction: The Buckeyes will be more invested in giving the Spartans a fight than UCLA was on Tuesday night. But this is the sort of game MSU ought to win at home — and one the Spartans have to win if they want to move toward a top 3 seed in the NCAA tournament and hope to get a top 4 seed in the Big Ten tournament, which comes with a double-bye. MSU has been too good at home for teams beneath the elite tier.

• Make it: MSU 77, Ohio State 67

MORE: Couch: By transforming MSU Athletics, J Batt hopes to build a sustainable enterprise — and winning football

Advertisement

Contact Graham Couch at gcouch@lsj.com. Follow him on X @Graham_Couch and BlueSky @GrahamCouch.



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Ohio mayor arrested on voyeurism charges after allegedly sniffing girl’s underwear

Published

on

Ohio mayor arrested on voyeurism charges after allegedly sniffing girl’s underwear


A Republican mayor in Ohio is facing criminal allegations after authorities say he was recorded on a concealed camera smelling an underage girl’s underwear.

An incident report from the Richland county sheriff’s Office details the accusations against Wesley Dingus, 48, who serves as mayor of Butler. The claims came from a juvenile who had been staying at his residence.

According to investigators, the teen had hidden a small camera in a bedroom in the home. On 13 January, she reportedly received multiple motion alerts indicating recordings had been captured. Deputies say the footage showed Dingus smelling at least four pairs of her underwear “for several seconds” and also “touching his groin area over his clothes”.

Richland county children’s services passed the report along to law enforcement the same day the alleged incident occurred, and a deputy later interviewed the girl at her school.

Advertisement

A deputy later contacted Dingus and arranged a meeting, but the conversation did not happen after his attorney advised canceling it, local news outlet WKYC reported. Authorities arrested Dingus nearly a month later, an action that took place on 13 February.

Dingus appeared in court on Thursday and pleaded not guilty. He was released after posting 10% of a $10,000 bond. Judge Michael Kemerer required him to wear a GPS monitor and barred him from contacting the accuser.

Deputies forwarded the case to a local prosecutor’s office on 26 January. After consulting with a member of that office, deputies prepared two court summonses charging Dingus with voyeurism, according to Cleveland19. Those summonses were then delivered to Dingus.

Dingus, who is a registered Republican according to public voter records, became mayor of Butler in 2022. Then mayor Joseph Stallard resigned, and Dingus was elevated to the vacant post from his role as council president.

Dingus was soon after elected to a full term after receiving 199 votes from the village’s fewer than 1,000 residents.

Advertisement

In August, Dingus was indicted on four counts related to an incident in which he allegedly struck a fleeing criminal suspect with his car, the Richland Source reported. Officials say that on 11 July, he saw a man attempting to escape from police and struck the man with his vehicle to prevent him from getting away. Dingus entered a plea of not guilty in that case, and the injured man was expected to recover.



Source link

Continue Reading

Ohio

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signs SB 295 into law

Published

on

Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signs SB 295 into law


COLUMBUS, Ohio (WOIO) – Ohio Governor Mike DeWine signed Ohio Senate Bill 295 into law Friday.

Senate Bill 295 will increase the competency restoration time from one-year to five-years in cases of aggravated murder, murder, or where the possible sentence is life in prison.

SB 295 was sponsored by State Senator Nathan H. Manning (R-North Ridgeville) and State Senator Thomas F. Patton (R-Strongsville), with strong support from the parents of murdered Cleveland Police Officer Jamieson Ritter and Cuyahoga County Prosecutor Michael C. O’Malley

They spoke before the Ohio House of Representatives Judiciary Committee on Wednesday.

Advertisement
Parents of murdered Cleveland Police Officer Ritter fight to change competency law

Officer Ritter was fatally shot on July 4, 2024, in the 1500 block of E. 80th St.

His accused killer, Delawnte Hardy, 26, is currently at Central Ohio Behavioral Healthcare (COBH) to see if he can be restored to competency to stand trial.

However, as of now, Hardy has still been deemed incompetent, and the deadline to review his competency was Friday.

Hardy is also accused of killing his own grandmother, Beatrice Porter, on June 28, 2024, at her Garfield Heights home.

Officer Jamieson Ritter was killed while serving a warrant on July 4, 2024(Cleveland Police Department via WOIO)

PREVIOUS COVERAGE: Cleveland police officer fatally shot in the city’s Hough neighborhood, suspect charged

Advertisement
Delawnte Hardy arraigned on July 15, 2024
Delawnte Hardy arraigned on July 15, 2024(Bingel, Julia | (Source: WOIO))
Delawnte Hardy
Delawnte Hardy((Source: Cleveland police))

Officer Ritter was honored at a memorial service in Cleveland on July 8, 2024 and laid to rest in his home state of New York on July 13, 2024.



Source link

Continue Reading

Trending