Ohio
A year later, here’s how much Beard bridge fire has cost taxpayers so far
Timelapse video shows fire under Daniel Carter Beard Bridge
A surveillance camera near a pickle ball court captured the moments in the massive fire under the Daniel Carter Beard Bridge.
Ohio spent close to $8.7 million to reopen the Daniel Carter Beard bridge over the Ohio River following the catastrophic year-ago fire that closed the bridge for 100 days.
The city of Cincinnati will be spending about $2 million more to replace the playground under the bridge, destroyed by the fire.
That $10.7 million price tag – which does not include the cost of city, county or state employees, some of whom continue to manage fire-related work – is less than an earlier estimate of $13 million.
But whatever the amount, taxpayers are the ones footing the bills.
“It’s unfortunately just part of doing business,” said Matt Bruning, spokesman for the Ohio Department of Transportation. “We have to absorb that.”
Fire brings 4 arrests, 100 days of disruption
Cincinnati fire officials were called to the base the Beard bridge at 3:20 a.m. on Nov. 1, 2024.
That’s where fire erupted around 3 a.m. at the 1000 Hands Playground in Sawyer Point Park along the river.
The Ohio Department of Transportation immediately closed the bridge, reopening the northbound side that night and later saying the southbound lanes would remain closed until mid-March. Even though Kentucky owns the bridge, Ohio took the lead because the fire damaged Interstate 471 on the Ohio side of the river rather than the bridge itself.
By Dec. 11, Cincinnati officials had arrested four suspects in connection with the fire, with county officials taking the four to court.
On Feb. 9, 100 days after the fire, the state reopened the bridge in full, ahead of the March target.
That chronology is now part of the history of the Beard bridge, named for the founder of the Boy Scouts of America, opened in 1976, and nicknamed the Big Mac for a shape and color that resemble McDonald’s iconic “M.” It cost $14 million then – what would be close to $75 million in 2025 dollars.
ODOT spent $8.7 million, before staff expenses
Ohio’s transportation department brought on Great Lakes Construction Co. of Hinckley, Ohio, to manage the repair work.
Working with more than two dozen subcontractors, Great Lakes demolished and replaced two sections of I-471’s bridge deck, along with warped steel beams. Contractors also repaired about 70 feet of damaged wall on the northbound side of the interstate.
The state paid Great Lakes close to $6.8 million, part of which went to subcontractors. It paid another $1.2 million for a painting contractor, $433,000 in engineering and other consulting fees, and $286,000 for inspections.
The state’s $8.7 million bill does not include what it paid ODOT employees diverted to the Beard project.
Its communication staff, as one example, produced close to four dozen press releases over 100 days with bridge-related updates.
Lead suspect now serving time in Ohio prison
Some costs of the bridge disaster are harder to quantify.
That includes work by the Cincinnati Fire Department to investigate the case, Cincinnati Police Department to arrest the suspects, and Hamilton County courts and prosecutor’s office to try them. It also includes costs absorbed by the Ohio Department of Rehabilitation and Corrections to jail one of the convicted suspects.
The suspects who created those costs include:
- James Hamilton and Kaitlen Hall, who both pleaded guilty to obstruction of justice in the case. Each was sentenced to probation and community service.
- Zachary Stumpf, who pleaded guilty to obstructuring justice and was sentenced to three years of probation.
- Terry Stiles, who admitted to one count of arson and one count of aggravated arson. He earned a sentence of nine to 13 ½ years in prison. Now 40, Stiles began serving time at Noble Correction Institution in the eastern Ohio town of Caldwell on June 11.
Prosecutors said Stiles and Stumpf set the fire, with Hall providing transportation. The three had been driving around the area that night, looking for scooters to steal, prosecutors said earlier. Hamilton was not present for the fire, but attempted to help the other suspects evade arrest, attorneys said.
Replacement of 1000 Hands Playground will include public, private funds
Fire-related costs also include $1.9 million to $2.1 million to replace the 21-year-old 1000 Hands Playground destroyed in the fire. Between $600,000 and $700,000 of that will go to playground equipment.
Cincinnati Parks Foundation will raise an unknown portion of those dollars, with the city covering the balance.
The Cincinnati Parks board OK’d a $50,000 down payment for the project in May, with parks officials bringing on Midstates Recreation of Pataskala, Ohio, to design it.
Parks officials will release a preliminary design for public feedback soon, spokesman Rocky Merz said. A final design should be complete early next year, he said.
The new playground will cover 11,000 to 14,000 square feet, to be installed east of the 1000 Hands site and south of the volleyball, tennis and pickleball courts at Sawyer Point.
.
Ohio
Ohio drivers paying some of the highest gas prices in the nation ahead of Memorial Day travel rush
CLEVELAND — Ohio drivers are paying some of the highest gas prices in the country just as millions of Americans prepare to travel for Memorial Day weekend.
According to AAA, Ohio now ranks 10th in the nation for gas prices, with the statewide average at approximately $4.72 a gallon as of Friday. Drivers in Ohio are paying noticeably more than those in neighboring states, including Indiana, Kentucky, West Virginia, and Michigan.
Experts say several factors are fueling the spike, including refinery disruptions in the Midwest and rising global oil prices tied to tensions in the Middle East.
AAA said Ohio is especially vulnerable when major Midwest refineries run into trouble.
One of the largest issues involves BP’s massive refinery in Whiting, Indiana, the Midwest’s largest and one of the largest in the country. The refinery can process about 440,000 barrels of oil per day and supplies fuel across the region, according to Reuters.
A major issue is the ongoing labor dispute.
Around 800 workers have been locked out since March while contract talks continue with no resolution.
The union has accused BP of using the lockout to pressure workers into accepting concessions on pay, job cuts, and contract terms. BP said negotiations can only continue while the lockout remains in place.
Jim Garrity with AAA said refinery disruptions like the one in Whiting can quickly tighten fuel supplies across the Midwest, causing prices in states like Ohio to rise faster than in other parts of the country.
“You’ve definitely seen some regional disruptions, and Ohio’s gas today is the 10th highest in the nation,” he says.
But refinery problems are only part of the equation.
Oil prices have also risen globally amid tensions involving Iran and the Strait of Hormuz, one of the world’s most critical oil shipping routes.
The timing is especially tough for drivers because Memorial Day weekend is traditionally one of the busiest travel holidays of the year and marks the unofficial start of the summer travel season.
Despite the higher prices, AAA projects more than 39 million Americans will travel by car this weekend, setting a new Memorial Day travel record.
“We’re not seeing it deter people from taking road trips,” Garrity said. “There’s an enthusiasm to get out there and take these trips.”
At local car dealerships, rising fuel prices are also changing consumer behavior.
Paul Qua with Classic Auto Group said interest in hybrids and electric vehicles has increased significantly in recent weeks, even among customers who normally prefer traditional gas-powered vehicles.
“That’s really the sweet spot in the car business right now,” Qua said.
AAA said meaningful relief at the pump will likely depend on refinery operations stabilizing and tensions in global oil markets easing.
But for now, millions of Americans are still expected to hit the road this Memorial Day weekend, even as Ohio drivers continue paying some of the highest gas prices in the country.
Ohio
Licking County real estate transfers for May 4-8 hit $999,000
Real estate transfers in Licking County, Ohio, range from $201,520 to $999,000
The following are property transfers recorded in Licking County from May 4-8, 2026.
First name indicates the seller; second name represents the buyer
Etna Township
- 71 Gala Ave. SW; Roman, Fotini S and Chalkias, Chris V; Conley, Christopher Matthew Montgomery and Mackenzie Linn; 5/4/2026; $363,000
- 71 Cosmos Lane SW; Martin, Terrell R and Melody A; Bourizk, Ashley and Philippe M II; 5/4/2026; $360,000
Harrison Township
- 28 Calumet Drive N.; Vehslage, James A and Nancy L; Murrell, Terry A and Amy L; 5/4/2026; $491,500
- 173 Mannaseh Drive E.; Williams, David and Kellie; Egler, Steven R and Christine L; 5/4/2026; $475,000
- 564 Forward Pass; Marcum, Lisa R; Thurcorp LLC; 5/4/2026; $201,520
Heath
- 549 Kensington Drive; Cole, Donald N; May, William C; 5/4/2026; $300,000
Hebron
- 4412 Hickory Lane; Flowers, Jaxon L and Allison M (Trustees); Rancier, Marino and Wendy; 5/4/2026; $445,000
Licking Township
- 110; 118 Sandpiper Drive; Altier, Tyler S and Mandi E; Campbell, Andrea and Robert Duane; 5/4/2026; $999,000
- 7606 Hupp Road; Mcknelly, Emily; Mindach, Kaden; 5/4/2026; $336,000
Newark
- 1445 Londondale Pkwy; Dobbs, Todd A; Kaeding Properties LLC; 5/4/2026; $375,000
- 1661 Stonewall Drive; Abend, Donna J; McDaniel, Drew; 5/4/2026; $320,000
- 109 Bolton Ave.; Grether, Veronica S; Phillips, Harold Boyd Iv and Hodge, Mackenzie Grace; 5/4/2026; $247,000
Pataskala
- 1669 Forest View Drive; Cary, Michael S; Carnes, Douglas W and Victoria J (Trustees); 5/4/2026; $585,000
- 325 Penwood Court; Jackson, Jeffrey Allen; KP Homes LLC; 5/4/2026; $275,000
Reynoldsburg
- 8827 Firstgate Drive; Holdn LLC; Williamson, Kesean; 5/4/2026; $330,000
Ohio
Family sues semi driver charged in I-71 crash that killed Ohio parents, baby
COLUMBUS, Ohio (WSYX) — The family of a mother, father and baby boy killed in a fiery crash on Interstate 71 in Delaware County has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against the semi driver accused of causing the wreck.
Lynnea and Luke Soposki and the couple’s 1-year-old baby were hit last month while they were sitting in construction traffic on I-71. The driver of the semi was identified as Modou Ngom.
The Soposki family filed the lawsuit today, alleging Ngom was negligent and that the crash could have been prevented.
BE THE FIRST TO COMMENT
Ngom is charged with aggravated homicide in the case.
-
Lifestyle7 minutes agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology19 minutes agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for
-
World25 minutes agoMojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
-
Politics31 minutes agoMilitary families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
-
Health37 minutes agoLow-impact routine may help adults lower blood pressure at home
-
Sports43 minutes agoThunder erase 15-point deficit to take series lead over Spurs as Victor Wembanyama’s 26 points fall short
-
Technology49 minutes agoFox News AI Newsletter: AI girlfriend dumps Hollywood filmmaker
-
Business55 minutes agoWaymo suspends all freeway rides over safety