Connect with us

North Dakota

North Dakota wildfires trigger statewide emergency, evacuations

Published

on

North Dakota wildfires trigger statewide emergency, evacuations


North Dakota Gov. Doug Burgum declared a statewide fire emergency as wildfires killed one person and triggered numerous evacuations.

The state’s forest service is fighting multiple fires mainly in the western half of the state, according to the National Interagency Fire Center‘s infrared map. Those fires include:

  • The Bear Den Fire, which started Saturday morning, has burned an estimated 10,000 acres near the Fort Berthold Reservation as of Sunday afternoon.
  • The Elkhorn Fire, which started Saturday evening, has burned an estimated 10,000 acres south of Watford City.
  • The Sprint Creek Fire, which started Saturday afternoon, has burned an estimated 5,000 acres south of Watford City.
Credit: North Dakota Governor’s Office

NIFC’s map indicated numerous other hotspots throughout the state Sunday afternoon, but these have not yet been named or confirmed as active wildfires.

“Several large wildfires were being fought in western North Dakota this evening including near Grassy Butte, near Johnson’s corner along Highway 73 and near Mandaree,” Burgum said late Saturday night. “Evacuation orders were issued in multiple areas and temporary shelters were opened for those displaced.”

Advertisement

The Williams County Sheriff’s Office reported 26-year-old Johannes Nicolaas Van Eeden of South Africa died of fire-related injuries in the Ray area, according to the Bismarck Tribune. The local paper said South Africans often come to the state to work as farmhands. Another unidentified individual was taken to a local medical facility with critical injuries.

The National Weather Service’s Bismarck Office issued a Red Flag Warning, High Wind Warning, and Wind Advisory for much of the state Saturday, when the state’s biggest fires started. Fire conditions were worsened by Extreme to Moderate Drought intensity in the state’s western half, according to the U.S. Drought Monitor. Critical fire conditions have since subsided.

“Widespread high winds impacted the region yesterday with multiple sites seeing wind gusts above 75 mph. Luckily winds will remain light through this week,” the office tweeted Sunday.

Credit: North Dakota Governor’s Office

The North Dakota Forest Service previously deployed multiple engines and crews to the fires, along with two North Dakota National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk helicopters and more than two dozen National Guard firefighters, Burgum said. Two heavy air tankers from Montana also dumped fire retardant while bulldozers and motor graders cut fire lines near the community of Mandaree.

The pause in fire-spreading weather will help firefighters get a foothold on the wildfires, according to USFS Dakota Prairie Grasslands.

“On the east side of the fire, near the Little Missouri River, the North Dakota National Guard is utilizing a helicopter to perform water drops to help contain the fire,” forest service officials said Sunday. “Local, state, and federal resources are working together performing suppression activities around the perimeter of the fire. Additionally, two hand crews are en route to the incident.”

Advertisement

Typos, let us know HERE, and specify which article. Please read the commenting rules before you post a comment.





Source link

Advertisement

North Dakota

Barika Kpeenu NFL Draft Interview: North Dakota State RB Dominated FCS in 2025

Published

on

Barika Kpeenu NFL Draft Interview: North Dakota State RB Dominated FCS in 2025


North Dakota State running back Barika Kpeenu is among the most productive players at his position in the 2026 NFL Draft. The West Fargo native was outstanding in 2025, rushing for 1,005 yards and 20 touchdowns. Kpeenu tied for the fourth-most rushing scores in the entire FCS.

Kpeenu recently spoke exclusively with NFL Draft On SI. Kpeenu discussed his experience at this year’s American Bowl, what he proved to NFL teams in attendance, his breakout 2025 season, and more.

JM: You attended this year’s American Bowl. How would you describe the overall experience?

Barika Kpeenu: I had a phenomenal experience at a great pre-draft event. They showed us a lot of hospitality. I met a lot of great people while discussing an NFL future. There were a lot of great coaches in attendance. It was an educational experience.

Advertisement

It was awesome. I’ll never forget the experience. I had a lot of fun.

JM: What do you think you proved to NFL teams and scouts in attendance?

Barika Kpeenu: I tried to be the ultimate competitor. I wanted to prove I belong among the prospects from the FBS conference. I went out there and put my best foot forward in everything that I was doing.

A lot of people think there’s a big drop off from the FBS to the FCS. I just wanted to go out there and prove that I’m equally as talented. I believe I can play at the highest level. I proved that at the American Bowl.

JM: There’s no doubt about that. Did you meet with any teams individually at the American Bowl?

Advertisement

Barika Kpeenu: I definitely met with a bunch of teams. I’d say I met with upwards of 15-20 NFL teams at the American Bowl, or at least half of the league. I had a great interview process with several teams.

JM: There’s a lot of interest in you and it’s easy to see why. You broke out at North Dakota State this season, rushing for 1,005 yards and 20 touchdowns. You waited your turn at NDSU. What do you think changed for you in 2025?

Barika Kpeenu: I went into my senior season realizing it was my last go-around. There was definitely a sense of urgency. I wanted to make it count. I didn’t wanna leave with any regrets. It was very important to me. I approached the offseason with that urgency.

I just spent a lot of time during the offseason working on my craft. I was putting in extra work during practice. I was very intentional regarding how I went about my business. I had a chip on my shoulder the entire season. I heard what some people were saying about me. I had all the motivation I needed. I played with confidence.

JM: What do you think it is about your game that led to you finding the end zone so consistently in 2025? Rushing for 20 touchdowns is pretty ridiculous.

Advertisement

Barika Kpeenu: We had a great offense at North Dakota State. We had a ton of weapons. Opposing defenses had to respect every element of our offense. We definitely had a great offensive line that made my life easy.

I was able to make my reads at a high level. I definitely maximized my opportunities to find the end zone. It was a bunch of things that led to my production.

JM: How would you describe your rushing style? Are you a North-South runner? Do you prefer to hit the outside?

Barika Kpeenu: I’d say I’m more of a North-South runner. I definitely took a more balanced approach this past season though. I made plays to the boundary as well. I think I have a pretty balanced skill set. I can run with power and speed. I can make defenders miss in space. I’m curious to hear how scouts describe my game throughout this process (laughs).

JM: We’ve appreciated your time today. Why should an NFL team use one of their 2026 NFL Draft picks on Barika Kpeenu?

Advertisement

Barika Kpeenu: I was brought up the right way. Given my background, a lot of people didn’t think I’d be able to strive for my goals. I wasn’t supposed to have this opportunity. It all played a role in my journey.

I took my chance. I’ve done the best I could to maximize the chances that came my way. Up until this point, I feel like I’ve taken advantage of every aspect of my life to better myself. I’ve flourished because of it.

If an NFL team gives me a chance, given where I come from, how I was raised, there’s no reason why I won’t continue flourishing. I’m a talented football player.

I have a lot of confidence in my abilities. An NFL team won’t regret putting immense trust in me. If you pour that effort into developing me as a player and person, I’m going to make sure you don’t regret that decision.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

North Dakota

North Dakota measles outbreak grows to seven cases; Fargo locations added to exposure list

Published

on

North Dakota measles outbreak grows to seven cases; Fargo locations added to exposure list


FARGO, N.D. (Valley News Live) – North Dakota reported its seventh confirmed measles case Wednesday as state health officials continue tracking exposures across the FM area.

The outbreak has prompted health officials to monitor more than a dozen exposure locations, including Sam’s Club in Fargo, where potential exposure occurred Feb. 9.

“It is one of the most contagious diseases known to us,” said Dr. Avish Nagpal, an infectious disease specialist. “One person who gets measles will, on an average expose 18 other people to measles. Compare this to flu and COVID, between 1 to 5.”

The outbreak affected at least one North Dakota high school wrestler, whose season ended after exposure at a Walhalla wrestling tournament. The unvaccinated student’s father, Stuart, said the state health department called while they were in their hotel room.

Advertisement

“We were already in bed in our hotel room, and first, our athletic director called and then, which he was told to call by this health department person, and she did not give us any room,” Stuart said in an interview with The Jay Thomas Show.

Stuart’s son was told to go home, missing his chance to compete at state. When Stuart called back the next day, he said the health department’s tone changed.

“I called her back and then she stepped back a little bit and said, ‘it was a recommendation.’ And I’m like, ‘That was not a recommendation. You never came across like it was a recommendation last night,’” Stuart said.

The state health department said it did not force anyone to leave the tournament and only provided CDC guidance.

Health officials recommend people check their vaccination records if they were at exposure locations.

Advertisement

“One dose of measles vaccine will give you about 94% protection, and if you have 2 doses, it will give you 97% protection,” Nagpal said. “Check your vaccination status. If you’re not up to date, call your provider, get the vaccine today.”

To see the full exposure list, click here.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

North Dakota

ND250 Commission funds grant to Jamestown school district

Published

on

ND250 Commission funds grant to Jamestown school district


BISMARCK — The ND250 Commission has awarded 15 community grants totaling $94,355 to support projects across North Dakota that celebrate and promote the upcoming 250th anniversary of the Declaration of Independence.

The ND250 Community Initiatives Grant Program helps organizations and local governments develop engaging projects that honor North Dakota’s influential role in America’s story.

Among the grant recipients in the Jamestown area was the Jamestown Public School District, which was awarded $1,000 for a field trip to the North Dakota Heritage Center & State Museum.

The ND250 Community Initiatives Grant Program remains open for applications through April 1, 2026. Proposals are reviewed and scored quarterly to determine funding. Eligible applicants include nonprofit organizations, as well as city, county, and tribal governments. Grant guidelines and applications can be found at

Advertisement

www.ND250.com

.





Source link

Continue Reading

Trending