North Dakota
North Dakota Horse Park gets finances on track as 2025 season takes shape

FARGO — Slowly, the North Dakota Horse Park in Fargo is growing its live horse racing meet and for the first time in nearly a decade, the organization that runs the track is not scrambling to make the tax payment that once loomed over it.
The Fargo track is operated by Horse Race North Dakota, a nonprofit organization that contributed when the track was built in 2003.
At a meeting of Horse Race North Dakota on Friday, Dec. 20. Cindy Slaughter, accountant and co-owner of TaxLady, which contracts with Horse Race North Dakota, said the track’s overall income is up about $93,000 from this time last year.
A fourth weekend of racing cost the track about $148,000 this year. However, that cost can be offset in the future by factors such as attendance and the amount bet on the races.
“There’s a couple of things we could do differently this year to reduce that amount,” North Dakota Horse Park General Manager Hugh Alan Drexler said.
Alyssa Goelzer/The Forum
While Drexler and HRND will look to decrease costs, they will not try to do that at the expense of the horsemen, as they hope to keep purses for each race flat or increase them in 2025.
“I don’t want to cut the purses at all, that would be the last thing we would cut,” HRND President Jay Aslop said.
“That is what our goal is, to promote racing and to increase race dates,” Drexler said. “The day the finances don’t look the same, that is when we need to make a change.”
Live racing receives additional funds from the North Dakota Racing Commission. The commission will meet in February to determine the amount of funds that will be granted to the Fargo track as well as Chippewa Downs, the second horse racing track in North Dakota near Belcourt.
Overcoming financial struggles
Heavy special assessments loomed over the North Dakota Horse Park for several years after it opened.
In 2003, the city of Fargo spent $1.5 million to extend sewer, water and other infrastructure to the track. The city planned to recoup the costs with special assessments, a kind of property tax assessed to benefiting properties, but the city agreed to suspend the assessments for five years in hopes that the race track would stimulate the development of commercial and residential properties. This would spread the assessments over more property owners and create a smaller bill for the track, which in 2015 was about $1.9 million.
The track is now in repayment of its taxes, making annual payments to the city of Fargo, and accountants are confident a fourth weekend of racing in 2025 will not adversely affect the track.
“I don’t have any concerns about running a fourth weekend this year,” Slaughter said.
Horse racing will be held at the Fargo track in 2025 over four weekends, likely July 12 through Aug. 3, track officials said.
“(It will be) some combination of either Friday, Saturday or Saturday, Sunday depending on what other events are going on in the area,” said Drexler.
In 2024, attendance at the Fargo track was up overall with about 8,358 in attendance over the eight race days, up from about 8,127, in 2023.
The Fargo track held horse races on Saturday and Sunday afternoons for four consecutive weekends, starting Saturday, July 13. The weekend of July 27-28, races were held in the evening so as to not compete with the Fargo AirSho. The horse park competed for attendance each weekend as the Fargo Street Fair, Red River Valley Fair and the Renaissance Fair overlapped the schedule. The horse park’s closing weekend coincided with WeFest.
The track hosted only three weekends of racing in 2022 and 2023, as it was constricted to operating expenses and the amount of money granted for a live season by the North Dakota Racing Commission. The Fargo track hosted a four-week meet in 2021 but held only two weekends in 2020.

North Dakota
North Dakota mayor resigns after texting lewd video to city attorney

A North Dakota mayor resigned on Tuesday after an investigation into a lewd video he messaged to the city’s top attorney in January.
Minot Mayor Tom Ross texted City Attorney Stefanie Stalheim a video of him masturbating shortly after the two talked on the phone about a police officer’s suicide, according to a report issued by the Minot City Council. Ross called Stalheim within minutes of sending the video, asking her to delete it without watching it and telling her it was intended for a girlfriend.
The mayor stepped down from office the same day Minot legislators made the report into the incident public.
“As much as I love the City of Minot and where it is heading, for the last, just about 5 years, I have had my priorities misaligned,” Ross wrote in a resignation letter. “While I’ve done my very best to be a good leader, it’s clear that time has come to an end.”
Ross told investigators that he sent the “sexy video” intended for his girlfriend on Jan. 14 when he was home on his lunch break. According to the report, he attributed the snafu to his unfamiliarity with using an iPhone compared to his Samsung S22 phone.
He also said that his girlfriend’s name begins with “C” and Stalheim was saved in his as “City Attorney,” the report added.
Upon hearing the mayor’s description of the video content, Stalheim told investigators she “fell out of her chair.” The reaction, according to Stalheim, was also due to the “combined stress” of receiving news of the police officer’s death, the report added.
The city prosecutor asked another employee in the room to delete the video, who, in doing so, “caused it to play,” according to the report. As a result, the employee, a Human Resources representative, “viewed some or all of the video.”
“The investigator found somewhat credible Ross’s statements that the video was sent to Stalheim unintentionally and that the video was intended for Ross’s intimate partner,” the report added. “Due to Ross’s position as one of increased visibility, responsibility, and trust, and due to his decision to use a personal cell phone to conduct city business, that the fact he would use that device to record and send videos of this nature is in and of itself reckless enough that he knew the risk he was taking by engaging in such behavior.”
Ross was elected mayor in 2022 after serving on the city council since 2020, according to a city profile of the former official. Minot, home to more than 47,000 people, is located about 50 miles south of the Canadian border.
The North Dakota city is known for a nearby Air Force base.
Michael Loria is a national reporter on the USA TODAY breaking news desk. Contact him at mloria@usatoday.com, @mchael_mchael or on Signal at (202) 290-4585.
North Dakota
North Dakota mayor resigns after sending lewd video to city attorney by mistake

MINOT, N.D. — The mayor of one of North Dakota’s largest cities resigned after an investigation into him mistakenly sending a lewd video to the city attorney.
Minot Mayor Tom Ross resigned Tuesday, the same day an investigative report was made public that found Ross sent a video of himself masturbating to City Attorney Stefanie Stalheim in January. He sent the video minutes after the two had a telephone call discussing a police officer’s suicide.
Ross asked Stalheim to delete the video, not to watch it and to keep the incident between them, the report said. Ross told an interviewer he had recorded the video at home during a lunch break and meant to send it to his romantic partner, not to Stalheim. He had said it was “a sexy video for his girlfriend.”
The report said Stalheim struggled with whether to make a formal report. Ross was her direct supervisor, and Stalheim’s annual review was pending at the time, the report said. Her complaint asked for an apology from Ross and that he consider resigning as mayor.
The investigator found Ross’s conduct “directly caused Stalheim’s inability to work in an environment free from unreasonable sexual harassment and created an offensive work environment.”
Ross said Wednesday he takes full responsibility and holds Stalheim “in the utmost regard and respect.” He said he had not resigned earlier “to respect the process.” He plans to focus on himself, healing and moving forward with his family, he said.
Telephone and email messages seeking comment were left for Stalheim Tuesday.
The Minot City Council on Tuesday to appoint a mayor from within the council after 15 days, which is the timeframe for citizens to petition for a special election.
Ross was elected mayor in 2022 after serving two years on the city council. Minot, about 50 miles (80kilometers) south of the Canadian border, is home to more than 47,000 people.
North Dakota
Young North Dakota legislators join Future Caucus to promote bipartisanship
BISMARCK, N.D. (KFYR) – We see and hear plenty showing how Democrats and Republicans have a lot of animosity.
The Future Caucus brings together millennial and Gen Z lawmakers to facilitate conversation and bridge the political divide.
On April 1, North Dakota became the 36th state to join Future Caucus.
Democratic Rep. Jayme Davis and Republican Rep. Dawson Holle will serve as Co-Chairs for the North Dakota Chapter to help build trust across state and party lines.
“We look at the board, and we agree more often than not. So, creating that space, creating that dedicated time to creating good policy for all of North Dakota, I think, is the goal,” said Davis.
Democratic Senator Ryan Braunberger and Republican Senator Claire Cory will also serve in the Future Caucus, joining 412 lawmakers nationwide.
Copyright 2025 KFYR. All rights reserved.
-
News1 week ago
Trump Is Trying to Gain More Power Over Elections. Is His Effort Legal?
-
News1 week ago
Washington Bends to RFK Jr.’s ‘MAHA’ Agenda on Measles, Baby Formula and French Fries
-
News1 week ago
Companies Pull Back From Pride Events as Trump Targets D.E.I.
-
World1 week ago
At least six people killed in Israeli attacks on southern Syria
-
Technology1 week ago
Trump officials planned a military strike over Signal – with a magazine editor on the line
-
Technology1 week ago
The FBI launched a task force to investigate Tesla attacks
-
World1 week ago
No, Norway and Sweden haven't banned digital transactions
-
Culture1 week ago
Analysing Jamal Musiala’s bizarre corner goal for Germany against Italy