Connect with us

Midwest

Minnesota faces funding deadline after Trump administration freezes childcare payments

Published

on

Minnesota faces funding deadline after Trump administration freezes childcare payments

NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!

Minnesota officials have until next week to turn over information on childcare providers and parents receiving federal funds or risk losing federal childcare funding, according to a notice sent to providers.

Minnesota’s Department of Children, Youth and Families (DCYF) told childcare providers in an email Friday that information about funding recipients must be sent to the federal government by Jan. 9, The Associated Press reported.

The notification came after the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) said Tuesday it will freeze all childcare payments to Minnesota following fraud allegations involving some childcare centers.

“We recognize the alarm and questions this has raised,” DCYF said in the email. “We found out about the freezing of funds at the same time everyone else did on social media.”

Advertisement

MINNESOTA FRAUD COMMITTEE CHAIR CLAIMS WALZ ‘TURNED A BLIND EYE’ TO FRAUD WARNINGS FOR YEARS

HHS Deputy Secretary Jim O’Neill announced the halt of childcare subsidies to Minnesota on Dec. 30. (HHSTV1 via YouTube)

The DCYF instructed providers and families relying on the frozen funds to continue the program’s “licensing and certification requirements and practices as usual.” The email does not say if recipients need to take any action or provide any information.

The state agency said it “did not receive a formal communication from the federal government until late Tuesday night,” after the DHS announced it would freeze all childcare payments to Minnesota.

All states must submit additional verification before receiving more childcare funding.

Advertisement

CNN ROASTED FOR ‘EFFORT TO DISCREDIT’ SHIRLEY’S VIRAL REPORTING ON ALLEGED FRAUD AT MINNESOTA DAYCARE CENTERS

Nick Shirley upended the news cycle last week with a 42-minute video investigating Minnesota daycare centers that appeared inactive despite receiving millions of dollars in government funding.  (Nick Shirley)

On Friday, the DCYF said the state Office of Inspector General conducted on-site compliance checks this week at nine childcare centers referenced in a viral video by independent journalist Nick Shirley, who was accusing them of committing fraud.

In his video, Shirley visited several Minnesota childcare facilities, including the Quality Learning Center in Minneapolis, which he said appeared inactive despite receiving state childcare assistance funds.

Investigators found the centers operating “as expected,” according to DYCF, and children were present at all sites except for one, which it said was not yet open for families at the time of the visit.

Advertisement

The department said it has ongoing investigations at four of the centers, and has 55 open investigations involving providers receiving funding through the Child Care Assistance Program.

INDEPENDENT JOURNALIST SAYS HE’S GOTTEN DEATH THREATS, TOLD HE’LL BE ‘KIRKED’ OVER MINNESOTA FRAUD VIRAL VIDEO

Children sleep during nap time at Minnesota Child Care in Minneapolis, Minn., on Dec. 30. (Renee Jones Schneider/The Minnesota Star Tribune via Getty Images)

At a news conference Monday, Minnesota DCYF Commissioner Tikki Brown said prior inspections of the centers did not uncover fraud, noting that regulators are conducting unannounced visits in response to concerns raised by the video.

“We are aware of a video that’s being circulated that has gained local and national attention about childcare centers in Minnesota,” Brown said. “While we have questions about some of the methods that were used in the video, we do take the concerns that the video raises about fraud very seriously.”

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Fox News Digital has reached out to Minnesota’s Department of Children, Youth, and Families for comment.

Fox News Digital’s Greg Wehner, Louis Casiano and The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Read the full article from Here

Advertisement

Missouri

Remains of missing Missouri Valley man found, arrest made

Published

on

Remains of missing Missouri Valley man found, arrest made


play

The remains of a Missouri Valley man, missing for nearly three years, were found by law enforcement in April.

Jesse George, 35, was reported missing on June 29, 2023. The Iowa Division of Criminal Investigation, in conjunction with the Missouri Valley Police Department and the Harrison County Sheriff’s Office continued to investigate his disappearance, according to a news release from the Iowa DCI.

Advertisement

On April 15, 2026, law enforcement excavated a location four miles northwest of Missouri Valley where human remains were found, the release said. The remains were positively identified as George’s and the Iowa State Medical Examiner ruled his death a homicide.

Joseph Langford, 52, also of Missouri Valley, was arrested by the Iowa DCI in George’s death on Monday, May 18. He was charged with first-degree murder and abuse of a corpse.

An investigation into George’s death is ongoing.

Langford admitted to killing, burying body to others

George was last seen with Langford near a camper around Fourth Street in Missouri Valley on the morning of June 29, 2023. Langford later admitted the two had an argument in the camper, according to court filings.

Later that morning, around 4:30 a.m., Langford had a friend help move a car that was parked in front of the camper. Langford was armed with a rifle and wouldn’t let his friend in the camper, the court filing said. He later told the same friend that “somebody’s gone, they’re not coming back, and I’m going to prison.”

Advertisement

Langford and his sister took the camper to an Interstate 29 rest area, where they were both employed, and cleaned the camper, according to the court filings.

A report to local law enforcement was made about the camper. Upon arrival, law enforcement saw bullet holes in the side of the camper, and blood was observed in the camper. The camper was processed by law enforcement at that time. Forensic testing determined the blood to be George’s.

About a year later, Langford admitted to killing George to another friend, the court filings said. He also told a coworker he had shot and killed George in the camper. He also admitted to burying George’s body behind the rest area.

An autopsy determined George had been shot multiple times.

Advertisement

Langford is in the custody of the Harrison County Jail on a $1 million cash bond, with a court appearance scheduled for May 27.

Kyle Werner is the breaking news and public safety reporter for the Register. Reach him at kwerner@registermedia.com.



Source link

Continue Reading

Nebraska

Recent rain may fall short for parts of drought-stricken Nebraska

Published

on

Recent rain may fall short for parts of drought-stricken Nebraska


LINCOLN, Neb. (KOLN) — Recent rainfall across Nebraska may not have done enough to alleviate the state’s persistent drought, with many areas that needed moisture most receiving insufficient amounts.

The southeast region received the most rain over the past few days, where conditions are abnormally dry or in moderate drought.

The southern panhandle, where conditions are most severe, received minimal rainfall.

Last Thursday’s drought monitor showed exceptional drought in portions of the panhandle, including Morrill and Garden counties, where nearly 1 million acres burned in February.

Advertisement

Two-thirds of the state was in extreme drought, according to the map released last Thursday.

“Conditions are probably about as bad as a dust bowl. The map that was released last Thursday shows that two-thirds of the state were in extreme drought, which basically means that if you combine factors, that’s the worst 5% we’ve ever seen,” said Dr. Eric Hunt, a climatologist at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln.

A partially flooded agricultural field off of Highway 4 in Fillmore County, Nebraska, on Monday, May 18, 2026(10/11 News / Darsha Dodge)

Hunt said it would take multiple good rains in a row with cooler temperatures over the span of a month to pull some areas out of their drought conditions.

Pasture conditions around the state are poor, with only 4% considered very good to excellent—dead last in the nation.

“Some of the northern panhandle and northeast Nebraska did okay, but there’s large sections of north central and northeastern Nebraska that did not pick up as much. And the southern panhandle generally got the shaft yet again,” Hunt said.

Advertisement

The University of Nebraska-Lincoln’s drought monitor will update again Thursday morning. It will give scientists a better idea of how much this weekend’s storms made a difference in the state’s drought.

Click here to subscribe to our 10/11 NOW daily digest and breaking news alerts delivered straight to your email inbox.

Copyright 2026 KOLN. All rights reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

North Dakota

North Dakotans advised to be wary of tree-killing emerald ash borers

Published

on

North Dakotans advised to be wary of tree-killing emerald ash borers


BISMARCK, ND (KXNET) — With the temperatures warming and the summer around the corner, emerald ash borers are picking up their activity.

Governor Kelly Armstrong proclaimed May 17-23 Emerald Ash Borer Awareness Week, and the North Dakota Department of Agriculture (NDDA) is giving North Dakotans advice on how to protect their trees.

Emerald ash borers (EABs) attack true ash trees. The larvae feed under the bark, which disrupts the movement of water and nutrients. This often leads to the death of the tree within several years.

According to the NDDA, EABs have killed hundreds of millions of ash trees in the United States over the past decade.

Advertisement

North Dakota is home to more than 90 million ash trees, which are found along streets, in city parks, rural plantings, forests, and along the edges of rivers and lakes. EABs have been found in LaMoure and Cass counties.

The NDDA says EABs can be moved in firewood, and people in North Dakota should do what they can to prevent the spread.

“EAB spreads slowly on its own, but it can be moved long distances in firewood and ash nursery stock,” State Forester Tom Claeys said. “Please buy your firewood from local sources, and if you are coming from out of the state, please don’t bring firewood with you.”

The NDDA and North Dakota Forest Service (NDFS) will be placing nearly 300 traps around the state this month to attract EABs. These are two-footlong, three-sided, and purple, and people are asked to leave them alone.

People can use a treatment to prevent EAB from establishing in an ash tree, but this is not recommended until EAB has been found within 15 miles of the tree. It is prohibited to move firewood or other things from an ash tree outside a regulated area, including LaMoure and Cass counties.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending