Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis’ contested housing development plan plows forward

Published

on

Minneapolis’ contested housing development plan plows forward


Minneapolis Mayor Jacob Frey and other government officials celebrated moving forward with the city’s housing development plan, the 2040 Comprehensive Plan, on Tuesday.

The plan had been in a years-long court battle. Opposing organizations alleged that the city should have conducted an environmental review before approving the plan. 

The 2040 plan aims to establish more densely built and affordable housing for Minneapolis’ future development. 

“This is a day that has been six years in the making, in that when Minneapolis recognized that we had an affordable housing shortage, we recognize that we like so many other cities throughout the country needed to increase our supply of housing. The 2040 plan helped us get there,” Frey said.

Advertisement

Legislation in the 2024 session clarified the bill, allowing for stalled housing projects to begin again. 

“Our legislative intent was very clear that this was a bill to end this lawsuit and to defend the Minneapolis 2040 plan,” said Rep. Sydney Jordan, DFL-Minneapolis. “We believe in this plan. We took huge steps this year to defend it and we will continue to do so as necessary.” 

Jack Perry, the attorney for opposing groups like Smart Growth Minneapolis and Minnesota Citizens for the Protection of Migratory Birds, said their fight is far from over. They filed an appeal with the Supreme Court. 

“Almost every project is financed and it is pretty hard to finance something when the authority is based upon a 2040 plan that is tied up in litigation,” Perry said. “The mayor says they’re going forward. That’s all fine but the actual developers will have to worry about this litigation. He may not because it’s not his pocketbook that’s being opened up to build things based upon a foundation of a plan that is highly suspect.”

Advertisement

The press conference celebrating the 2040 plan was held at Wakpada Apartments, a new complex that’s a product of the 2040 plan.

One of the apartment’s developers, Sean Sweeney, said the 2040 plan has allowed him to be creative and “do things that benefit the community.”

“I’ve worked in several markets around the country, and I can say without a doubt that being a developer in Minneapolis, especially now with the 2040 plan, is an absolute dream,” Sweeney said. 

The plan began in 2018. Since then, Minneapolis has invested over $360 million into affordable rental housing and homeownership programs.

“Minneapolis is being seen around the country as a leader in the affordable housing space, we’re seen as a leader in this push to desegregate cities. And we’re seen as a municipality to copy and to replicate in the work that we’re having right now,” Frey said.

Advertisement



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

Man sentenced to more than 86 years for Minneapolis triple homicide

Published

on

Man sentenced to more than 86 years for Minneapolis triple homicide


A man was sentenced to more than 86 years in prison for a triple homicide that occurred in Minneapolis in October 2024, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office said.

Earl Bennett, 42, was sentenced for three counts of murder, which will be served consecutively, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office. He was given credit for 478 days already served.

He was also sentenced for illegal firearm possession, which he will serve at the same time as the murder sentences.

Minneapolis police were called to a triple shooting at a homeless encampment near 44th Street and Snelling Avenue on Oct. 27, 2024.

Advertisement

Louis Mitchell Lemons Jr., 32, and Christopher Martell Washington, 38, were pronounced dead at the scene. Samantha Jo Moss, 35, was rushed to the hospital, where she died nearly a week later.

Woman dies nearly a week after triple shooting at Minneapolis encampment; suspect charged | 2 dead, 1 seriously injured following 2nd fatal encampment shooting in as many days

A witness told police that a man who identified himself as “E” asked to speak with one of the people in a tent and then started shooting 10 to 15 minutes after being allowed inside. Surveillance video showed him leaving the scene on an e-bike.

Earlier that week, authorities say Bennett shot and critically injured a man at a sober living home on Columbus Avenue South. He faces one count of attempted first-degree murder in connection with this shooting and is scheduled to make his next court appearance in this case on April 17.

Bennett was also shot by St. Paul police days after the Minneapolis shootings. Authorities say he pointed a gun at officers, who then shot him. He was brought to the hospital and recovered from his injuries. He is charged with one count of second-degree assault and one count of illegal firearm possession in connection with this incident and is scheduled to make a court appearance on March 5 for this case.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Breaking the ice: A Minneapolis man’s mission to keep the Twin Cities on solid ground

Published

on

Breaking the ice: A Minneapolis man’s mission to keep the Twin Cities on solid ground


A Minneapolis man is on a mission to keep the Twin Cities safe on the ice.

Ice safety advocate

What we know:

Advertisement

Steven Glasford, who moved to Minneapolis from Boston, has embraced the city’s outdoor lifestyle. “I moved here from Boston and I kind of fell in love with the city’s park systems,” said Glasford. 

He enjoys biking on the ice, saying, “I love to bike on the ice, that’s one of my favorite things to do is just to go biking on it.”

Once a week, Glasford bikes across frozen lakes to measure ice thickness. “It’s just easy, repetitive,” he said. 

Advertisement

Using an auger, he drills through the ice to check its thickness. 

“Right here it’s 23 inches thick. So that’s about like this thick. So you could easily drive a car on here,” he explained.

Advertisement

Growing community interest 

The backstory:

Glasford began this project to ensure the ice was safe for his bike commute as a Metro Transit bus driver. “

Advertisement

“So I can get from here to the southern part of the lake In about five minutes, and it takes me 10 minutes otherwise,” he said. 

His efforts have expanded to include several lakes, and his findings on Reddit have garnered up to 50,000 views weekly.

“Everybody who lives on the shoreline, everybody lives in the neighborhood and wants to go onto the ice, wants to know, like, ‘Hey, like to know how thick it is,’” said Glasford. 

Advertisement

He recently assisted organizers in confirming ice strength for a community event supporting Minnesota’s immigrants.

No one on thin ice

What they’re saying:

Advertisement

Glasford says he isn’t worried about falling through the ice himself because the orange suit he wears doubles as a life vest, which helps him keep his head above water.

But it’s his mission that keeps his spirits afloat, and he has no plans to ride off into the sunset just yet.

“It’s kind of cool. Not many people get to be able to be like, ‘Hey, this is my job.’ I can go on ice whenever I want,” said Glasford.

Advertisement

The full frozen lakes report can be found here. 

The Source: This story uses information gathered by FOX 9 reporter Maury Glover. 

Advertisement
Maury’s StoriesWinter Weather



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

The sambusa underground: how Minneapolis’ Somalis feed community and resistance

Published

on

The sambusa underground: how Minneapolis’ Somalis feed community and resistance


The images coming out of Minneapolis over the past two months have looked like something from a Hollywood dystopian horror film: masked Immigration and Customs Enforcement agents armed with guns, pepper spray, and teargas coming to blows with everyday citizens bearing phones, whistles, signs and, perhaps most surprisingly, food to feed their fellow protesters.

For Fatoun Ali and other Somali community members, sambusa was the weapon of choice. Last December, before prejudiced threats turned to bloodshed in the streets, they deployed this tasty east African staple – a fried, flaky, triangular-shaped pastry typically filled with ground meat, vegetables and spices (similar to south Asian samosas) – to combat the xenophobic rhetoric rapidly spreading across the Twin Cities. She estimates they bought and handed out hundreds of the simple snacks near community hubs, all in hopes of introducing others to the largest Somali diaspora community outside Africa.

“Food brings people together in our culture,” said Ali, who has lived in Minnesota for 20 years. “Sambusa smells and tastes good, and we eat it together for special gatherings and holidays, like during Ramadan when we’re breaking the fast at the end of each day. At a time when we were being called terrorists and frauds, we were trying to welcome people in to learn about our culture and hold a safe space to eat and drink together and ask questions.”

In addition to sambusa, Ali and her comrades were handing out whistles and pamphlets outlining people’s rights. “In the beginning, we were telling people that as long as they were documented, they would be safe,” she recalled. “But it turned out that wasn’t true. Everyone became terrified, regardless of their status. Businesses closed. People became scared to go to work. They lost their jobs. They couldn’t pay rent. They couldn’t feed their families.”

Advertisement
‘Food brings people together in our culture,’ Fatoun Ali says. Photograph: Fatoun Ali

At that point, Ali shifted her attention to feeding her community. She quickly escalated the existing food-aid efforts of her non-profit, the Somali Youth and Family Development Center, which provides education, resources and support programming to the Twin Cities community.

“As a mother and someone who has experienced civil war and knows firsthand what it feels like to be hungry, my immediate instinct was to feed people,” she said. Now, her group delivers halal groceries – meat, rice, flour, dates, spices and similar ingredients conforming to Islamic dietary laws – to more than 400 people weekly with the help of shoppers, drivers and other volunteers. It’s just one example of how one of the most targeted groups in Minneapolis remained one of the city’s bedrocks.

Ali’s mutual food-aid initiative and others like it have become even more critical during Ramadan (when rituals call for culturally specific foods), and these efforts will continue on long after ICE agents are redeployed elsewhere.

So too will the effects of a weeks-long siege on the Twin Cities metro area, which is estimated to have cost immigrant-owned businesses a cumulative $46m in December and January, per the Star Tribune newspaper. For the Somali community, the reverberations go far beyond financial.

“The fear created by the federal presence and enforcement activity has changed daily life for us and has reopened old wounds,” said Jamal Hashi, a chef and nutritionist who has lived in Minneapolis for more than 30 years. “Even with the announced drawdown, the emotional and psychological impact on the Somali community here doesn’t simply disappear overnight. The feeling right now is a mix of relief, vigilance and resilience – because our community has survived much worse.”

Advertisement

After fleeing civil war in their home country, many Somali refugees made their way to Minnesota in the early 1990s. Soon, the state was home to the US’s largest Somali population; the majority of them are US citizens. They represent a vibrant, rich thread of the city’s cultural fabric, and they have helped fuel the local economy with businesses such as the Karmel Mall – the nation’s largest Somali shopping center, earning it the nickname Little Mogadishu. They have made history, with Representative Ilhan Omar being the first Somali American elected to Congress in 2018. In short, Somalis have made Minnesota their home.

Complicating the public perception of the Twin Cities Somali community is the ongoing Feeding Our Future scandal, in which a small group of people – several of them from the Somali community – fraudulently received nearly $250m in federal funding earmarked for child-nutrition programs during the pandemic. The local Somali community faced further scrutiny after the rightwing influencer Nick Shirley went public claiming to be exposing fraud at Somali-run daycares. His late December 2025 viral video may have helped ignite the ICE siege in Minneapolis.

Hashi, who has built his career around creating culinary bridges, recently partnered with food bank Second Harvest Heartland to develop a halal groceries program for distribution via a network of trusted locals making small-scale deliveries in their personal vehicles. In his downtime, he’s doing the same: regularly picking up hot meals from immigrant-owned restaurants (whose owners prefer to remain anonymous) and delivering them to families afraid to leave their homes.

Somali women shop at Karmel plaza, a Somali mall in Minneapolis. Photograph: MCT/Tribune News Service/Getty Images

Somali community hubs like Karmel mall have sat shuttered in recent weeks, for fear that these gathering places will draw ICE raids. Abdirahman Kahin, Afro Deli & Grill owner, has had to temporarily close two of his four restaurant locations since having two ICE encounters in December.

“As a Somali restaurant, we’re definitely a target,” said Kahin, who has lived in Minneapolis for 14 years. “They came to our St Paul location twice and served us with subpoena. They asked for a list of our employees, which we delivered. The second time they came, they just asked silly questions, like, ‘Do you hire illegals?’ They tried to be as intimidating as possible.”

Advertisement

Like Hashi, Kahin’s efforts to feed his community began long before ICE’s arrival in Minneapolis. During the Covid pandemic, his team served an estimated 1.5m meals in collaboration with organizations such as Second Harvest, the Red Cross, Meals on Wheels and World Central Kitchen. About 80% of those halal meals – goat’s meat, chicken, sambusa and the like – support people living in public housing. So while this food is culturally specific for east African folks, it is nutritionally balanced for anyone, he points out.

For Kahin, there are more parallels to the pandemic. “For the past two months, we’ve been living in fear, not knowing what to expect,” he said. “You carry your passport all the time. We never could have imagined living like this, and we don’t know how long it will go on. During Covid, a vaccine was the remedy. Now, we’re waiting for ICE to leave so we can feel comfortable again.”

These vital food mutual-aid initiatives, like the ICE protests themselves, have been cross-culturally powered, with Minnesotans from all backgrounds showing up for their neighbors. That outpouring of support bolsters these Somali community leaders’ resolve, even amid ongoing harassment, discrimination and safety concerns.

“The love I have received is stronger than the hate I have faced,” said Ali. “Minnesota has set such a strong example of how we love each other, how we support each other, how we feed each other. This is an amazing state, and so many immigrants ended up here because of the resources, services and support available here. This is our home, and we’re not going anywhere.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Trending