Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Kyler Murray joins Vikings: Fans divided on QB future

Published

on

Kyler Murray joins Vikings: Fans divided on QB future


Kyler Murray has been signed as the new quarterback for the Minnesota Vikings, sparking mixed reactions among fans.

Vikings fans share their thoughts

Advertisement

What we know:

Some fans are thrilled about Murray’s potential to bring success to the team, while others remain loyal to J.J. McCarthy. Murray, who was released Wednesday by the Arizona Cardinals, has a history of playoff appearances but has yet to achieve significant postseason success.

What they’re saying:

Advertisement

“I’m excited. He’s a proven NFL quarterback. He’s had a lot of good seasons, some good stats. He hasn’t really put it together, and hopefully, under KOC, he does,” said Luka Lattergrass. 

Lattergrass also commented on McCarthy, saying, “No one’s rooting against him, but we all did see his play last year, his ups and downs, the roster that we had still was a 9-8 season with poor quarterback play.”

Advertisement

Meanwhile, Will Stein from Coon Rapids noted, “Kyler Murray has a ton of talent. He can be an extremely good quarterback if he allows himself to.”

McCarthy’s past performance

Why you should care:

Advertisement

The addition of Murray to the Vikings’ roster raises questions about the team’s quarterback strategy moving forward. Last season, expectations were high for McCarthy after the Vikings’ impressive 14-3 record two seasons ago with Sam Darnold.

However, McCarthy’s performance led to a 9-8 season, causing some fans to lose faith while others remained supportive.

What’s next:

Advertisement

Fans are eager to see how the quarterback situation unfolds during training camp. As Will Stein expressed, “I feel like it should be an open competition and training camp, whoever the coaches decide is the better fit running this offense for 2026 should get them start in September, week one.”

What they’re saying:

Advertisement

“Kyler Murray, if you can’t get him to watch tape himself, how is he going to mentor somebody else? Was he gonna teach him how to play Call of Duty better?” said Karl Heinrichs, known as Sir Death on social media. Heinrichs also shared, “I like the way J.J. McCarthy ended the season last year, and I’d like to see him get his shot. I’d like to see him have a chance to come back and lead this team.”

What we don’t know:

It’s still unclear who will ultimately be the starting quarterback for the Vikings in the upcoming season.

Advertisement

Minnesota VikingsSportsMinnesota



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign

Published

on

George Floyd Square in Minneapolis is getting a major redesign


Minneapolis is preparing for major changes at George Floyd Square as it marks six years since Floyd’s murder.

City prepares to reshape George Floyd Square after years of debate

Advertisement

What we know:

City leaders have spent years discussing whether to keep the intersection mostly closed to traffic or reopen it in some way.

For nearly six years, George Floyd Square at 38th Street and Chicago Avenue has been a place for memorials, art and community gatherings. After much debate, construction is set to begin on June 8.

Advertisement

The city council’s original idea was to turn the area into a pedestrian mall, keeping it closed to most vehicles.

That plan faced pushback from some businesses and residents, and ultimately decided on a flexible open-street design.

Advertisement

Dwight Alexander, owner of Smoke in the Pit, said, “I don’t want a pedestrian mall.”

Under this plan, 38th Street and Chicago Avenue will reopen to vehicle and bus traffic, but the area where Floyd was killed will remain closed to traffic.

Renderings show wider sidewalks, new gathering spaces and improved infrastructure throughout the intersection.

Advertisement

Jeremiah Rupert, who visits George Floyd Square every day, said, “How do you balance community and social justice to make sure everyone gets what they need?”

“I want the road back open. I want the bus line to come back this way if it can. I want the streetlights back up there,” said Alexander.

Advertisement

City officials say memorials and gathering spaces will remain part of the redesign during and after construction, though some locations may shift.

Artists and community members will be involved in making sure the public can still access the memorials during construction.

“If we shut it down for construction, or if we further open it up, what would it do to the space?” said Rupert.

Advertisement

The city says construction is expected to continue through 2027.

Big picture view:

Advertisement

George Floyd Square has become both a memorial and a gathering place for the community since 2020.

The redesign aims to balance the needs of residents, businesses and those who visit the space to remember Floyd.

Business owners and community members have voiced a range of opinions on how the intersection should function moving forward.

Advertisement

Some want easier access for vehicles and buses, while others are focused on preserving the area’s significance as a memorial.

The city’s plan attempts to address both concerns by reopening some streets while keeping the most sensitive area closed to traffic.

Advertisement
MinneapolisAfter George Floyd



Source link

Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Dinkytown armed robbery: Victim assaulted, vehicle stolen, gun recovered

Published

on

Dinkytown armed robbery: Victim assaulted, vehicle stolen, gun recovered


Authorities are searching for three suspects reportedly involved in a Dinkytown assault and robbery. 

Armed robbery investigation

What we know:

Advertisement

A Safe-U advisory states that the armed robbery happened at about 4:20 a.m. on Saturday near the intersection of 14th Avenue Southeast and 7th Street Southeast.

The victim was reportedly “hit in the face with an unknown weapon” before his phone, keys and jacket were taken by three masked suspects who were wearing all black, according to the advisory.

Advertisement

The victim’s vehicle was also taken during the robbery, but police later found it and initiated a traffic stop. The occupants of the stolen vehicle then fled, and officers say they recovered a firearm.

What we don’t know:

Details on the suspects’ descriptions have not been shared.

Advertisement

What you can do:

Anyone with information on the suspects is asked to call 911. 

Advertisement

The Source: This story uses information shared in a University of Minnesota safety alert notification. 

Crime and Public SafetyMinneapolisUniversity of Minnesota



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Nonprofit honors George Floyd with yellow roses during Day of Remembrance in Minneapolis

Published

on

Nonprofit honors George Floyd with yellow roses during Day of Remembrance in Minneapolis


People in Minneapolis took part in the Day of Remembrance to honor George Floyd on Friday, nearly six years after his death.

“As elder Spike Moss said to me, one of our honorees, we were talking and he said, ‘Leslie, you’re not just doing a program, you are doing a mission,’” said Leslie Redmond.

Redmond, the founder of Win Back, says her nonprofit’s mission isn’t just to make sure people remember — it’s to drive accountability, healing and change.

“We are remembering the resilience of our community. We are remembering the ecosystem that has been activated amongst us all,” said Redmond.

Advertisement

Individuals honored Floyd at a memorial brunch and at George Floyd Square, where people honored his memory with yellow roses.

“For us, in community, Day of Remembrance is literally just that. It is something that we see every day when we come to our offices and our businesses on the block, but today holds a special moment because we honestly get to honor the trauma that we’ve held for six years,” said Bridgette Steward.

The trauma was revealed in prayers on Friday.

“I pray for covering. I pray for restoration. I pray for healing. I pray for building. I pray for development. I pray for resources, ” said Redmond.

Prayers and calls to action for the next generation.

Advertisement

“And lay it with intention at George Floyd’s memorial for remembrance, for hope and for new beginnings,” said Danielle Miller.

Beginning with addressing all that has happened since the world witnessed the incident that sparked a worldwide justice movement.

“Here we are, six years later. Comedians are laughing and joking about it, corporations have abandoned the community, there is an attack on DEI and so it feels like the weight is heavier than before, which means we have to double down like never before,” said Redmond.

Win Back has awarded more than $50,000 in scholarships in George Floyd’s name. 

Friday’s remembrance celebration holds special meaning as the city prepares to reconstruct 38th Street and Chicago Avenue. Organizers say it’s another sign of progress.

Advertisement

Business at George Floyd Square hopes for investment

Violinist Raycurt Johnson plays at George Floyd Square week after week. 

Over the years, he’s seen the area change.

Once blocked off and defined by barricades, the intersection now carries a different rhythm. City officials are recommending the Minnesota Agape Movement to help develop the Peoples’ Way site at George Floyd Square. At the same time, businesses are starting to take root.

Larry Robinson opened Big L’s Soul Food and Steakhouse in the area by chance, but now believes it is a community that deserves investment.

“They are tired of this. They want their neighborhood back,” Robinson said in an interview with WCCO. “I would definitely like to see this community have a bigger and better facelift.”

Advertisement

Even with new businesses and new plans, the meaning of the space hasn’t faded. WCCO asked Johnson what type of feeling he wants people visiting on Monday, six years to the day since George Floyd died, to walk away with.

“The Sense of this is what community looks like,” he said.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending