Connect with us

Minneapolis, MN

Former Minneapolis council candidate crows that he ‘doesn’t feel bad’ two police officers were killed during domestic callout shootout where paramedic was also gunned down

Published

on

Former Minneapolis council candidate crows that he ‘doesn’t feel bad’ two police officers were killed during domestic callout shootout where paramedic was also gunned down


A former Minneapolis council candidate said he doesn’t ‘feel bad’ two police officers were shot dead during a domestic call out, where a firefighter also died. 

Cops Paul Elmstrand and Matthew Ruge, both 27, and firefighter and paramedic Adam Finseth, 40, were killed after responding to a ‘domestic incident’ at a Minneapolis home on Sunday morning.

The gunman, later identified as 38-year-old Shannon Gooden, then shot and killed himself. 

The same day, in a video posted on Instagram, former council candidate Zach Metzger said: ‘Is it wrong that I don’t feel bad that the police were killed, but I do feel bad the firefighter was killed?’ 

Advertisement

Activist Metzger ran for the Democrats for Ward 13 of city council and lost last year. 

Former Council candidate Zach Metzger said he ‘didn’t feel bad’ the police were killed

One of his main policies was to defund the police, but he lost by over 5,000 votes.

In his Instagram video about the shooting he listed the number of people killed by police and the number of police officers killed in the line of duty this year. 

He said: ‘2023 was the most deadly year at the hands of police, with 1,348 people reportedly being killed by the police, while 134 police were killed in the line of duty.’ 

He then added: ‘Is it wrong that I don’t feel bad that the police were killed, but I do feel bad the firefighter was killed?’

Advertisement

In an interview with Southwest Voices during his campaign, he said: ‘We have alternatives to traditional police, which are so often extremely dangerous to our neighbors.’

The officers were called to a report of a ‘family in danger’ at a house in 33rd Avenue South, Burnsville, shortly after 2.30am.

They spoke with the gunman, Gooden, who claimed he was unarmed and had children inside the house. The officers then entered the home where they spoke with Gooden for three and a half hours. 

Police said Gooden then opened fire on the officers inside the home without warning. Over the course of the shooting he fired over 100 rounds at officers. 

Ruge, Elmstrand, and a third officer, Medlicott, are thought to have been initially shot inside the home. 

Advertisement

Medlicott and Wical returned fire while inside the home, striking Gooden in the leg. 

They then left the house trying to get to an armoured vehicle on the road outside and were shot again. Finseth was then shot and killed while trying to give them medical attention. 

Gooden then died by suicide, when officers searched the home they found multiple guns and rounds of ammunition.  

He listed the number of people killed by police in 2023 and the number of police killed in the line of duty

He listed the number of people killed by police in 2023 and the number of police killed in the line of duty

Burnsville police officer Matthew Ruge. The officers were called to a report of a ¿family in danger¿ at a house in 33rd Avenue South, Burnsville, shortly after 2.30am

Burnsville police officer Matthew Ruge. The officers were called to a report of a ‘family in danger’ at a house in 33rd Avenue South, Burnsville, shortly after 2.30am

Cops Paul Elmstrand (pictured) and Matthew Ruge, both 27, and firefighter and paramedic Adam Finseth, 40, were killed

Burnsville police officer Paul Elmstrand

Burnsville firefighter and paramedic Adam Finseth

Burnsville firefighter and paramedic Adam Finseth

A shelter-in-place alert was sent to phones in the area 15 miles south of the city center.

Police said the armed man barricaded himself in a Burnsville home with seven children.

Advertisement

Gooden was renting the home the first responders showed up to, according to property records. 

He had previous convictions for disorderly conduct in 2004 and 2005, as well as a second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon conviction in 2007. 

Court records also show the state barred Gooden from possessing guns after he pleaded guilty in 2008, aged 22, to second-degree assault with a dangerous weapon. 

Prosecutors said he threw rocks and pulled a knife on a man in a Burnsville shopping mall parking lot. 

Gooden also notably had a petition to restore his right to a firearm denied in 2020 and was entangled in a years-long dispute over the custody and financial support of his three oldest children.

Advertisement

Authorities told NBC News he was in possession of several guns and large amounts of ammunition.

He and his girlfriend were living together with seven children – the three oldest by one woman, two more with another and that woman’s two children from a previous relationship – between the ages of two and 15. It is believed all of them made it out of the house safely. 

His standoff with police came only two days before a scheduled district court hearing over his ongoing legal disputes with the mother of his three oldest children.

Online court records show that those children spent most nights with him, but that he still he wanted to go back to court. The records do not say why.

When he petitioned a court unsuccessfully in 2020 to have his gun rights restored, he and his attorney said he had matured and that he regretted his past poor decisions. 

Advertisement

Minnesota state governor Tim Walz ordered flags to be flown at half-staff starting from sunrise tomorrow, and the killings have appalled police departments across the state.

‘We are heartbroken. Our law enforcement community is heartbroken,’ tweeted The Minnesota Police and Peace Officers Association.

‘We’re just devastated at the horrific loss. These heroes leave behind loved ones and a community who will forever remember their bravery and dedication keeping Minnesotans safe.’

Dozens of heavily armed officers descended on the street in Burnsville after the shooting in the early hours of Sunday morning

Dozens of heavily armed officers descended on the street in Burnsville after the shooting in the early hours of Sunday morning 

Officers had been called to a report of a ¿family in danger¿ at a house in 33rd Avenue South, around 15 miles south of Minneapolis city center

Officers had been called to a report of a ‘family in danger’ at a house in 33rd Avenue South, around 15 miles south of Minneapolis city center

Authorities in the state are expected told a press conference shortly

Authorities in the state are expected told a press conference shortly

Dozens of heavily armed police officers descended on the street and a SWAT vehicle was seen with multiple bullet holes on its windshield.

A barricade situation developed amid fears that hostages were being held inside the home and the gunman is thought to have killed himself shortly before 6am.

Advertisement

‘While responding to a call of a family in danger, two police officers and one firefighter lost their lives, and other officers were injured,’ the governor tweeted.

‘We must never take for granted the bravery and sacrifices our police officers and first responders make every day. My heart is with their families today and the entire State of Minnesota stands with Burnsville.’

Rep. Jim Nash tweeted: ‘My heart is heavy for the families of these officers, the community of Burnsville, and for our country because this headline is not unique.’

‘Learned from police this morning that three officers have been shot in Burnsville,’ Sen. Amy Klobuchar added.

‘They were doing their jobs. They were protecting our community.’ 

Advertisement



Source link

Minneapolis, MN

Minneapolis City Council expected to pass resolution pushing for stronger state laws on domestic violence

Published

on

Minneapolis City Council expected to pass resolution pushing for stronger state laws on domestic violence


The Minneapolis City Council wants a change in how the state handles domestic violence cases. 

This comes after Allison Lussier was found dead inside her North Loop apartment in 2024 after multiple domestic violence reports were filed. 

In a recent report, the Minneapolis city auditor found 22 issues with Lussier’s case.

On Tuesday, the council plans to pass a resolution that calls on state lawmakers to pass Allison’s Law, a bill that would strengthen reporting requirements and police response in domestic violence cases, as well as create a statewide task force focused on investigations and prosecutions.

Advertisement

The resolution would be mostly symbolic, since the legislative session is now over, but would keep attention on domestic violence reform.

Lussier’s family believes police and others didn’t do enough to keep her safe. 

An audit released last month shows officers missed opportunities to investigate possible stalking in her case. It also found inconsistent reporting practices throughout the case, including incomplete witness statements, missing victim forms and gaps in documentation. 

To this day, no charges have been filed in her death. 

The report also criticized how Minneapolis police publicly discussed Lussier’s death, saying comments about her substance abuse history caused harm to her family and the broader Indigenous community. 

Advertisement

The audit recommended several changes, including stronger domestic violence protocols. 

City Council members say the resolution is meant to show support for victims’ families and push for stronger protections moving forward. They’ll call for the resolution to pass during an afternoon meeting.

Lussier’s family has continued to call for accountability. At a rally last fall, her aunt pointed to what she believes are larger systemic failures. 

“We saw the gaps in the system and the issues with Minneapolis police and their failings,” Jana Williams said. “If they can’t protect the citizens of Minneapolis, who can?”


For anonymous, confidential help, people can call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233 or 1-800-787-3224.

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Man dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking

Published

on

Man dies days after being injured in attempted Minneapolis carjacking


A 38-year-old man seriously injured in an attempted auto theft in Minneapolis on Friday has died.

Minneapolis police say the assault happened when the victim saw two people trying to steal his car around 1:35 p.m. on the 5400 block of 43rd Avenue South and confronted them.

After being confronted, the suspects abandoned the car they were trying to steal and ran to the car they had arrived in, police said. As the suspects tried to get away, the victim was either hit by the car or jumped onto the hood.

The suspects were driving erratically, Minneapolis police said, causing the victim to be thrown from the hood of the car and seriously injure his head.

Advertisement

On Sunday, police say the man died from his injuries.

There have been no arrests at this time.

“This is a tragic event that has devastated a family and shocked the community,” said Minneapolis Police Chief Brian O’Hara. “The reckless disregard for the value of human life shown in this case is horrifying, and those responsible should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law.”



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Minneapolis, MN

Stabbing at Minneapolis Fine Line leaves man hospitalized: MPD

Published

on

Stabbing at Minneapolis Fine Line leaves man hospitalized: MPD


A man was stabbed at the Fine Line music venue on Sunday night, according to Minneapolis police.

Investigators say that an altercation inside the Fine Line led to the stabbing but no arrests have been made.

The victim was hospitalized with potentially life-threatening injuries, according to police.

Hip Hop artist, Babyfxce E, was performing at the Fine Line at the time of the incident.

Advertisement



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending