Connect with us

Midwest

Man accused of opening fire outside Chicago's Wrigley Field to be held without bail

Published

on

Man accused of opening fire outside Chicago's Wrigley Field to be held without bail

A federal magistrate judge on Monday ordered a man accused of opening fire on a busy street outside Wrigley Field earlier this month to remain in custody without bail.

Raphael Hammond, 37, has been charged with being a felon in possession of a handgun in connection with the shooting, the Chicago Tribune reported.

Hammond was standing outside a bowling alley across from the stadium around 1 a.m. on May 5 when a masked man jumped out of an SUV and shot at him, according to a criminal complaint. Two of Hammond’s friends were wounded.

CHICAGO POLICE CLEAR OUT ANTI-ISRAEL ENCAMPMENT AT DEPAUL UNIVERSITY

Hammond ran inside the bowling alley. The attacker jumped back into the SUV, which sped off down the street. Hammond emerged from the bowling alley with a gun and shot at the vehicle as it fled, according to the complaint.

Advertisement

A general view of the Marquee outside Wrigley Field with orange flags in support of Gun Violence Awareness prior to the game between the St. Louis Cardinals and the Chicago Cubs on Sunday, June 5, 2022 in Chicago, Illinois.  (Jeffrey Phelps/MLB Photos via Getty Images)

The man’s attorney, Patrick Boyle, requested home detention. He said Hammond saw his friend’s gun on the ground when he ducked into the bowling alley and made a split-second decision to defend himself.

“He was not seeking a confrontation,” Boyle said.

But U.S. Magistrate Judge Jeffrey Gilbert said Hammond’s criminal background showed he is dangerous. Prosecutors said he has five felony convictions, most recently a federal conviction of being a felon in possession of a handgun. Gilbert also noted that Hammond has been shot 12 times.

“Either you find trouble or it finds you,” Gilbert said. “That’s trouble with a capital ‘T.’”

Advertisement

Prosecutors said the gunman in the SUV remains at large and the motive for the attack remains unknown.

Read the full article from Here

Continue Reading
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Illinois

UChicago Medicine performs first-known quadruple transplant surgery in Illinois

Published

on

UChicago Medicine performs first-known quadruple transplant surgery in Illinois


CHICAGO (WLS) — Jasmine Jones says cystic fibrosis was slowly destroying her body.

Months after she had both lungs, her kidney and her liver replaced, she’s thankful for her donor and doctors for giving her a second chance at life.

ABC7 Chicago is now streaming 24/7. Click here to watch

Jones, 28, has spent her entire life battling the genetic disease that attacks the lungs and digestive system with thick, sticky mucus.

Over time, the disease ravaged multiple organs.

Advertisement

First, her liver began to fail.

“I was retaining a lot of fluid. I was in pain, very fatigued, no energy,” Jones said.

And last year, she slipped into a coma for two days.

SEE ALSO: Long Island teen’s parents issue plea for kidney donor, a surprise neighbor responds

Doctors at University of Chicago Medicine suggested replacing the liver with a donor organ, but one of Jones’ kidneys was shutting down. And her lungs were severely compromised.

Advertisement

“We as a team decided that it was the best option for her long-term survival was to replace all her organs in one surgery,” said Dr. Pablo Sanchez, with UChicago Medicine.

So in January, surgeons performed the first-known quadruple transplant in Illinois, replacing both of Jones’ lungs, her liver and a kidney with organs from one donor.

The procedure took place over two days.

“My donor’s organs fit perfectly. They thought they would have to shave something down or alter certain things, but everything just fit into place,” Jones said.

Jones goes to rehab three times a week, and her ultimate goal is to learn how to roller skate.

Advertisement

In the meantime, she says she’s grateful to the donor who made her recovery possible.

“Thank you for another chance at life and for giving me a new outlook on life,” Jones said.

Jones faces months of rehabilitation and lifelong anti-rejection medications. But she says she hopes her story will inspire others to register as organ donors.

Copyright © 2026 WLS-TV. All Rights Reserved.



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

Indiana

Caitlin Clark scratched from Indiana Fever lineup at the last minute because of injury

Published

on

Caitlin Clark scratched from Indiana Fever lineup at the last minute because of injury


The Indiana Fever suffered a major blow ahead of Wednesday night’s game when superstar guard Caitlin Clark was ruled out against the Portland Fire because of a back injury.

The 24-year-old All-Star was not listed on the team’s official injury report the day before.

However, following the Fever’s pregame walkthrough on Wednesday afternoon, team officials made the last-minute decision to scratch her from the lineup. While initial reports indicated the move was mostly precautionary to protect her health, the sudden benching sparked concern across the league.

This is Clark’s first missed game of the current season.

Advertisement

CAITLIN CLARK GIVES INSIDE LOOK AT HOW SHE’S MANAGING NAGGING INJURY: ‘NEVER BEEN THROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS’

Indiana Fever guards Caitlin Clark and Sophie Cunningham watch a game from the sidelines. (Brian Spurlock/Icon Sportswire)

Unfortunately, health hurdles are nothing new for Clark.

During her highly anticipated 2025 sophomore season, recurring soft-tissue injuries and physical wear and tear completely derailed her momentum.

Clark only appeared in 13 games during that 2025 campaign, missing 27 regular-season games due to her extended time on the injury report.

Advertisement

Fever head coach Stephanie White and the front office have consistently made it clear that protecting Clark’s long-term wellness is the franchise’s top priority.

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Indiana Fever guard Caitlin Clark celebrates a basket in the first half against the Seattle Storm at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind., on May 17, 2026. (Trevor Ruszkowski/Imagn Images)

The team will likely take things very slowly as they evaluate her back over the coming days before letting her return to the court. Indiana’s next game is Friday against Golden State.

Send us your thoughts: alejandro.avila@outkick.com / Follow along on X: @alejandroaveela 

Advertisement





Source link

Continue Reading

Iowa

Iowa State AD says he doesn’t care if SEC, Big Ten leave other P4 Conferences behind: ‘Let them break away’

Published

on

Iowa State AD says he doesn’t care if SEC, Big Ten leave other P4 Conferences behind: ‘Let them break away’


The future of college football continues to be in flux, as schools and conferences wrestle with how to make more money.

Conference realignment exploded because schools like USC and UCLA were falling well behind, financially, relative to peers in the Big Ten or SEC. College Football Playoff expansion continues to be a topic of discussion, led in part by those two conferences, as administrators believe there’s more money to be made by adding more games and teams to the mix.

But another point of discussion in college football is even larger and more structural: the point of the NCAA and current configuration.

Big Ten Conference Commissioner Tony Petitti speaks during the 2025 Big Ten Football Media Days at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nev., on July 22, 2025. (Louis Grasse/Getty Images)

Advertisement

Some have speculated that the Power Four conferences should leave the NCAA entirely, form their own breakaway league that’s organized differently than the existing format. Notable personalities like Kirk Herbstreit spoke about that earlier in 2026, saying that name, image and likeness (NIL) and other issues could be fixed if there’s a collective bargaining agreement (CBA) between conferences and players in a new entity.

INSIDE THE FIGHT: NIL ARMS RACE FUELING NEW PUSH FOR COLLEGE FOOTBALL PLAYOFF EXPANSION

“I think the Power Four needs to break away,” he said in an interview with Front Office Sports. “Create their own world, create their own governing body. Allow the Group of Four to create their own world. Allow them to have their own playoff. Much like FCS and Division II and III. Just create a new level, which would be the Power Four. Let’s create a new governing body, let’s put a commissioner. If we need to unionize the players, to allow them to create a CBA to avoid the antitrust laws, make the rules, come to an agreement like the NFL does on both sides.”

Then there are proposals that the Big Ten and SEC, as the two most successful conferences, should set up their own arrangement. And one athletic director at a major Big 12 program, surprisingly, seems to think they should.

Jamie Pollard of the Iowa State Cyclones stands on the sidelines before a game against the Baylor Bears at Jack Trice Stadium in Ames, Iowa, on Oct. 5, 2024. The Cyclones won 43-21. (Luke Lu/Diamond Images)

Advertisement

“Let them break away. We should break away from them,” said Iowa State AD Jamie Pollard to reporters this week, per Brett McMurphy. “Let them go, but they have to go in all their sports and see how fun it is to play baseball, softball and track when it’s just the 20 of you. That’s what I think we should do, but I’m one person & that’s probably a little more draconian.

ZERO BS. JUST DAKICH. TAKE THE DON’T @ ME PODCAST ON THE ROAD. DOWNLOAD NOW!

“That’s how I feel about it. Like, let’s quit talking about it. Quit threatening. Go do it. But if you’re going to do it, you don’t get to just do it in football and then keep all your other sports with us. No, take them all. See how fun it is.”

Sounds like relations between the two dominant superconferences and the rest of the P4 are in a great spot.

SEC commissioner Greg Sankey speaks with the media during SEC Media Days at the Grand Bohemian Hotel. (Vasha Hunt-Imagn Images)

Advertisement

CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP

Pollard is right, directionally, in that the Big Ten and SEC “need” the other conferences. But it’s also short sighted to act as though the Big 12 doesn’t need them too. There’s logic to all sides of the argument; the Big Ten and SEC provide the most value to college athletics, but there is value from Big 12 and ACC programs too. And with everyone grasping for a large slice of the pie, there’s bound to be disagreement over how best to distribute money or make more of it.

It would be stunning if the Big Ten and SEC broke away entirely. But it seems increasingly likely that Power Four does break away from the NCAA. It’s only a matter of time.



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending