Indiana
Caitlin Clark scratched from Indiana Fever lineup at the last minute because of injury
The Indiana Fever suffered a major blow ahead of Wednesday night’s game when superstar guard Caitlin Clark was ruled out against the Portland Fire because of a back injury.
The 24-year-old All-Star was not listed on the team’s official injury report the day before.
However, following the Fever’s pregame walkthrough on Wednesday afternoon, team officials made the last-minute decision to scratch her from the lineup. While initial reports indicated the move was mostly precautionary to protect her health, the sudden benching sparked concern across the league.
This is Clark’s first missed game of the current season.
CAITLIN CLARK GIVES INSIDE LOOK AT HOW SHE’S MANAGING NAGGING INJURY: ‘NEVER BEEN THROUGH ANYTHING LIKE THIS’
Indiana Fever guards Caitlin Clark and Sophie Cunningham watch a game from the sidelines. (Brian Spurlock/Icon Sportswire)
Unfortunately, health hurdles are nothing new for Clark.
During her highly anticipated 2025 sophomore season, recurring soft-tissue injuries and physical wear and tear completely derailed her momentum.
Clark only appeared in 13 games during that 2025 campaign, missing 27 regular-season games due to her extended time on the injury report.
Fever head coach Stephanie White and the front office have consistently made it clear that protecting Clark’s long-term wellness is the franchise’s top priority.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Indiana Fever guard Caitlin Clark celebrates a basket in the first half against the Seattle Storm at Gainbridge Fieldhouse in Indianapolis, Ind., on May 17, 2026. (Trevor Ruszkowski/Imagn Images)
The team will likely take things very slowly as they evaluate her back over the coming days before letting her return to the court. Indiana’s next game is Friday against Golden State.
Send us your thoughts: alejandro.avila@outkick.com / Follow along on X: @alejandroaveela
Indiana
EPA announces $13 million in grants to tackle PFAS in Indiana drinking water
CHICAGO (WISH) — The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency on Tuesday announced more than $13 million in new grant funding for Indiana.
The funding was created to help communities across the state address perfluoroalkyl and polyfluoroalkyl substances, known as PFAS, in drinking water.
EPA says in a news release issued Tuesday that the investment aims to improve water quality and public health by targeting emerging contaminants in communities that need support the most.
The new funding is part of EPA’s Emerging Contaminants in Small or Disadvantaged Communities grant program. It’s a component of a comprehensive, “lifecycle-based strategy” to address PFAS, aligning with the EPA’s commitment to ensuring clean water for all Americans, the release said.
The EPA region based in Chicago also announced similar grants of more than $22 million for Michigan and more than $20 million for Ohio.
This story was formatted for WISHTV.com using AI-assisted tools. Our editorial team reviews and edits all content published to ensure it meets our journalistic standards for accuracy and fairness.
Indiana
What Indiana basketball coach Darian DeVries wants in his 2026-27 schedule
BLOOMINGTON — Indiana basketball coach Darian DeVries is still working to finalize the team’s 2026-27 schedule.
The Hoosiers recently found out their Big Ten pairings for next season but the non-conference schedule is far from complete.
“I think we have some good opportunities out there,” DeVries said before speaking at an event in Carmel last week. “Again, some really good games, some challenging games that we’re excited about as that gets us ready for Big Ten play.”
For 2026-27, Indiana has scheduled guarantee games at Assembly Hall against Eastern Illinois, Bellarmine and Bowling Green.
The Hoosiers also added a neutral site game on Nov. 9 against Syracuse at Gainbridge Fieldhouse. That joins the previously announced showdown against Kentucky at Lucas Oil Stadium on Dec. 27 that’s part of a four-game series the programs agreed to in 2023.
With the NCAA voting to expand the regular season from 31 to 32 games starting in 2026-27 and a 20-game league schedule, the Hoosiers have seven open dates to fill.
IU’s marquee non-conference matchups in DeVries’ first season included games against Marquette at the United Center, Louisville at Gainbridge and Kentucky in Lexington. Last year, Indiana announced its full non-conference slate on July 1.
Indiana’s season will once again start with a lengthy summer road trip. The Hoosiers will represent the United States at the FISU America Games in Peru from July 20 to Aug. 1 for up to five games.
Participation in the tournament will give DeVries’ new look roster additional practice time this summer.
Michael Niziolek is the Indiana beat reporter for The Bloomington Herald-Times. You can follow him on X @michaelniziolek and read all his coverage by clicking here.
Indiana
In-state WR Branden Sharpe on choosing Indiana: ‘That winning culture is something I want’
Indiana landed a commitment from one of the state’s top playmakers on Monday as Brownsburg (Ind.) High receiver Branden Sharpe announced his pledge to head coach Curt Cignetti and the Hoosiers during a live broadcast on the Rivals YouTube Channel.
The 5-foot-11, 170-pound Sharpe chose IU over his other finalists in Purdue, Cincinnati and Vanderbilt.
“I would say the relationships I built with the coaches and the winning a National Championship,” Sharpe said. “coming from a program that’s won two state championships, that winning culture is something I want to be around and I can see myself in that system.”
As a junior Sharpe racked up 1,386 all-purpose yards with 1,143 of them receiving. He scored 15 touchdowns en route to that second-straight state championship. He becomes commits No. 7 for Indiana in the 2027 recruiting class.
“Also the fanbase the way they support them,” Sharpe said.
Sharpe visited Indiana numerous times during his process including games in the fall and recent spring practices.
“I’d say a lot fires me up about them,” Sharpe recently said. “Obviously their coaching staff develops players. I think they had 13 players drafted, something insane like that. So the way they develop players and their offensive scheme getting their players in space and giving them an opportunity to make plays is something I see myself in.
“The way they hound their players and want them to be better. Their efficient with their practices. Everything from their lifts to their practices and meetings, everything is all organized.”
Rivals ranks Sharpe as the No. 68 receiver in the country and No. 13 prospect regardless of position in the state. Other offers included West Virginia, Virginia Tech, Iowa State, Houston, Northwestern and Boston College.
-
Connecticut5 minutes agoConnecticut state colleges board meets on interim chancellor search
-
Delaware12 minutes ago‘Takeover’ events on uptick statewide; 4 wanted for Rehoboth incident
-
Florida18 minutes agoFlorida man arrested after suspected human remains found buried at property where his father lived
-
Georgia24 minutes agoHow Keisha Lance Bottoms plans to win Georgia governor race as underdog
-
Hawaii30 minutes agoThe 7 Friendliest Little Towns In Hawaii
-
Idaho36 minutes agoIdaho State Police seize narcotics after pursuit near Pocatello
-
Illinois42 minutes agoUChicago Medicine performs first-known quadruple transplant surgery in Illinois
-
Iowa53 minutes agoIowa State AD says he doesn’t care if SEC, Big Ten leave other P4 Conferences behind: ‘Let them break away’