Midwest
DAVID MARCUS: Springfield residents plead for Trump and Vance to come see problems firsthand
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Every now and then in my line of work, you walk into an establishment and immediately think, I’m either gonna get great coverage here, or I’m going to get my ass kicked. This was my experience Saturday as I entered the Hop Bar in Springfield, Ohio, and the four guys shooting pool looked at me with an expression that at its most generous said, “What the hell are you doing here?”
In time, I explained to Eddie and Brandon and the rest what the hell I was actually doing there, trying to get the truth about the town’s migrant crisis, and as usual, given the opportunity to be heard by a news media that routinely ignores them, well, I got an earful.
DAVID MARCUS: CATS AND DOGS ASIDE, BIDEN-HARRIS UNLEASHED DISASTER ON SPRINGFIELD
One thing I heard loud and clear, not just at the Hop but from many people I spoke with in Springfield is that they want Donald Trump and JD Vance to come and see exactly what is happening to their town.
“Vance himself came from a small town just like this one,” Brandon, who’s 38, married with three kids and cuts down trees for a living, told me. He wants the candidates to see, “the overwhelmed [Bureau of Motor Vehicles], the grocery stores, the traffic, what it’s doing to our small businesses and how all the American citizens are thinking about leaving.”
The Hop Bar, in Springfield, Ohio, began as a sock hop in the 1950s. Now, it is a community institution where lifelong friends gather.
The one-story shack with a large backyard was opened in 1951 as a sock hop, hence the name. In 1957, it acquired a liquor license and 67 years later, it boasts the profound aura of a community institution. Everyone I met there had lived in Springfield for their whole lives, and they had all known each other since childhood.
Earlier in the day, I had spoken with Peyton, who is studying theater at a local college. She graduated from Springfield High School last year, and I asked her when she started seeing a big influx of Haitian migrant students.
“Sophomore year there started to be a few and we were like, hey they speak French, that’s cool. Then junior year, it was more, and by senior year it was kind of overwhelming.”
Residents say their city has been overwhelmed, and they want Trump and Vance to see it firsthand.
Peyton explained that teachers struggled to translate lessons and that by the end of the senior year she was being bullied. “I don’t speak French, so I don’t know what they were saying, but they’d point at me and laugh.”
Peyton also wants the GOP ticket to come and hear from the people of Springfield, to listen to their stories and offer a ray of hope.
CLICK HERE FOR MORE FOX NEWS OPINION
According to patrons at the Hop I spoke to and others, Haitian migrants are renting houses not at a base rate, but per adult living there. As one guy put it, “they know if they rent it to one person, there’s just gonna be a ton of cots coming in.”
The upshot of this, of course, is that rents are way up, making it harder for this close-knit community to stay intact.
As the hot Midwestern sun of flat earth slowly hid behind the treeline, the backyard cooled, and we spoke of other things, like our kids and our hobbies. It became clear to me that this is the kind of community that most professional class urban dwellers really don’t understand.
The Hop is the place where these people’s grandparents had their first dance, where they went to Christmas parties as a kid. Could they all scatter and move to new places of better opportunity? Sure, but they could never replace nearly a century’s work of creating their home and community.
That legacy is what so many of the people of Springfield want Donald Trump and JD Vance to save and protect, and they have faith that if they come and see, not just the chaos caused by migrant disaster, but also the cherished home it is for so many Americans, that the candidates, should they win, will do just that.
I left with a much better understanding of what the people of Springfield are fighting for, and hey, I didn’t get my ass kicked.
CLICK HERE TO READ MORE FROM DAVID MARCUS
Read the full article from Here
Detroit, MI
Man attacked with hammer before 3 men found dead in Detroit home; person of interest sought
DETROIT – Police are searching for a person of interest after three men were found dead inside a Southwest Detroit home in what investigators described as a brutal attack
The investigation began around 12:45 p.m. on Wednesday, Feb. 18, when officers responded to a missing person call. That missing person was later identified as one of the men found dead inside the home on Edsel Street, near Francis Avenue.
When officers arrived, they encountered a surviving witness who told police he had been struck twice in the back of the head with a hammer at the home the day before, according to Detroit Police Assistant Chief Charles Fitzgerald, who provided an update on the case on Thursday afternoon. At that point, he left the location and returned to the home later. You can watch the full police update in the video at the top of this article.
After entering the residence, officers discovered the bodies of three men.
Police said the oldest victim was 72 years old. The other two victims were 66 and 65. One of the men was the primary resident of the home. All three men had prior criminal records.
Investigators said all three victims suffered blunt force trauma, and each had stab wounds. They were found in the basement, covered in “old dirty clothing,” and one of the men was found covered in a carpet and old clothing, according to police.
“It was a brutal scene inside,” Fitzgerald said. “Just awful.”
Police are waiting for autopsies from the Wayne County Medical Examiner’s Office to determine the exact causes of death. Police believe the killings occurred sometime between Tuesday afternoon and Wednesday morning.
Authorities are searching for a man described as approximately 31 to 32 years old, between 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 7 inches tall, with dreadlocks. The surviving witness told investigators the attack appeared to involve a single suspect.
Police have not established a motive yet, and said it is unknown what links the person of interest to the victims at this time.
While there has been speculation about possible drug activity, police said there is currently no evidence confirming that.
Officials noted that the resident was known to allow multiple people into the residence, but stressed that the investigation remains ongoing.
Anyone with information is urged to contact the Detroit Police Department at 313-596-2200 or Crime Stoppers at 1-800-Speak Up.
Police say they will continue to release updates as more information becomes available.
Copyright 2026 by WDIV ClickOnDetroit – All rights reserved.
Milwaukee, WI
Stabbing near Milwaukee Mitchell Airport; 1 injured, 2 arrested
Milwaukee Police Department (MPD)
MILWAUKEE – One person was stabbed during an attempted robbery near Milwaukee Mitchell International Airport early Thursday morning, Feb. 19.
Incident details
What we know:
According to the Milwaukee Police Department, just after midnight, two suspects attempted to rob the victim near Howell and Hutsteiner. The victim, a 19-year-old, was stabbed with a knife during the struggle.
The victim was taken to a hospital for treatment of non-fatal injuries.
FREE DOWNLOAD: Get breaking news alerts in the FOX LOCAL Mobile app for iOS or Android
The suspects, a 22-year-old man and a 27-year-old woman, were arrested.
Criminal charges will be referred to the Milwaukee County District Attorney’s Office.
The Source: The Milwaukee Police Department sent FOX6 the information.
Minneapolis, MN
Man sentenced to more than 86 years for Minneapolis triple homicide
A man was sentenced to more than 86 years in prison for a triple homicide that occurred in Minneapolis in October 2024, the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office said.
Earl Bennett, 42, was sentenced for three counts of murder, which will be served consecutively, according to the Hennepin County Attorney’s Office. He was given credit for 478 days already served.
He was also sentenced for illegal firearm possession, which he will serve at the same time as the murder sentences.
Minneapolis police were called to a triple shooting at a homeless encampment near 44th Street and Snelling Avenue on Oct. 27, 2024.
Louis Mitchell Lemons Jr., 32, and Christopher Martell Washington, 38, were pronounced dead at the scene. Samantha Jo Moss, 35, was rushed to the hospital, where she died nearly a week later.
Woman dies nearly a week after triple shooting at Minneapolis encampment; suspect charged | 2 dead, 1 seriously injured following 2nd fatal encampment shooting in as many days
A witness told police that a man who identified himself as “E” asked to speak with one of the people in a tent and then started shooting 10 to 15 minutes after being allowed inside. Surveillance video showed him leaving the scene on an e-bike.
Earlier that week, authorities say Bennett shot and critically injured a man at a sober living home on Columbus Avenue South. He faces one count of attempted first-degree murder in connection with this shooting and is scheduled to make his next court appearance in this case on April 17.
Bennett was also shot by St. Paul police days after the Minneapolis shootings. Authorities say he pointed a gun at officers, who then shot him. He was brought to the hospital and recovered from his injuries. He is charged with one count of second-degree assault and one count of illegal firearm possession in connection with this incident and is scheduled to make a court appearance on March 5 for this case.
-
Culture1 week agoTry This Quiz on Passionate Lines From Popular Literature
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Politics7 days agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics7 days agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown