World
Two suspected American communist insurgents killed in clash in the Philippines
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Two Americans have died in the Philippines during a military engagement that the government said involved communist-linked groups.
Lyle Prijoles, 40, and transgender woman Kai Dana-Rene Sorem, 26, were among the 19 people killed last month during a firefight between the Philippine Army and suspected members of a communist insurgency.
The U.S.-born Filipino Americans are now at the center of a disputed encounter, with critics alleging the two were active combatants for the New People’s Army (NPA), the armed wing of the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP), which has been designated a foreign terrorist organization by the U.S. State Department. Human rights groups and the NPA, however, reportedly maintain that the pair were civilian activists who posed no military threat.
According to the City Journal, the two Americans were first exposed to left-wing ideology through college-linked institutions that critics say helped pave the way to involvement with groups the Philippine government has long argued serve as fronts for the CPP.
FAMILIAR PROTEST GROUPS MOBILIZE IMMEDIATELY AFTER ICE SHOOTING OF MINNESOTA PROTESTER
Members of the local Filipino youth diaspora, Anakbayan Alberta, react during the protest on Sunday, May 15, 2022. (young filipino group react during protest)
“This brings to two (2) the number of U.S. citizens—Lyle Prijoles and Kai Dana-Rene Sorem—who died in the same incident, a development that highlights the increasing involvement of individuals from outside the Philippines in local armed hostilities,” the Philippines’ National Task Force to End Local Communist Armed Conflict (NTF-ELCAC) said.
“The presence of two American fatalities in a single encounter should prompt careful reflection on how involvement in certain activities or networks may lead to unintended exposure to dangerous environments.”
On April 19, Philippine troops engaged in an armed encounter in Toboso, Negros Occidental, according to the NTF-ELCAC. The agency characterized the 19 dead as enemy combatants during an operation aimed at dismantling the decades-long communist insurgency in the Philippines.
On the other hand, family members and human rights advocates reportedly described Prijoles and Sorem as dedicated civilian community activists. The NPA acknowledged that 10 of those killed were members of its armed revolutionary force, but claimed the remaining victims — including several activists such as Prijoles and Sorem — posed no military threat, the San Francisco Standard reported.
INSIDE THE FAR LEFT ‘BREEDING GROUND’ UNIVERSITIES ALLEGED WHCD CALLED HOME FOR YEARS
Members of the League of Filipino Students (LFS) from various schools and universities clash with the police in Manila on Nov. 13, 2025. (NurPhoto/NurPhoto via Getty Images)
In 2012, Prijoles, a Filipino American born and raised in San Diego, California, was involved with Anakbayan, which translates to “Children of the Nation,” a prominent left-wing youth and student organization founded in the Philippines in 1998. Anakbayan-USA operates across several major U.S. college campuses and has drawn scrutiny from critics over its opposition to U.S. involvement in the Philippines.
His activism reportedly began after attending San Francisco State University around 2004, when he joined the League of Filipino Students (LFS), a left-wing political alliance rooted in Marxist, Leninist and Maoist ideology, the City Journal said.
After 2006, Prijoles reportedly made several trips to the Philippines organized by Bayan USA, another left-wing activist network. The Philippine government has alleged that both organizations function as fronts for the Communist Party of the Philippines (CPP).
Prijoles also may have harbored animosity toward the Armed Forces of the Philippines after his friend — the father of his godchild and chairperson of the U.S. chapter of the International Coalition for Human Rights in the Philippines — survived a 2019 assassination attempt that left him paralyzed, according to City Journal.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
Philippine Navy personnel are deployed to the area as members of the League of Filipino Students (LFS) from various schools and universities march towards the U.S. Embassy in Manila on Nov. 13, 2015. (George Calvelo/NurPhoto)
Meanwhile, Kai Dana Sorem was a Filipino American from Seattle whose political development was initially shaped by a search for personal and cultural identity, according to advocacy group Malaya Movement.
Her early political involvement reportedly included serving as a legislative page for the Washington State Democratic Party. Sorem later deepened her activism within left-wing Filipino diaspora organizations while attending the Central Washington University in 2020. She later launched the South Seattle chapter of Anakbayan, Malaya Movement said.
In 2025, Sorem reportedly traveled to the Philippines on a U.S.-based exposure trip, and by 2026, she had relocated to the country full-time to work as an organizer.
World
Video: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan
new video loaded: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan
By Shawn Paik
May 21, 2026
First North Korean Athletes Play in South Korea in Nearly 8 Years
1:17
Xi Meets Putin Days After Trump Visit
0:57
Train Crashes Into Bangkok Traffic, Killing at Least 8 People
1:12
Xi Mentions Putin During Private Garden Walk With Trump
2:05
Deadly Storms Devastate Northern India
0:42
Trump and Xi Meet as Summit Begins
1:58
Today’s Videos
U.S.
Politics
Immigration
NY Region
Science
Business
Culture
Books
Wellness
World
Africa
Americas
Asia
South Asia
Donald Trump
Middle East Crisis
Russia-Ukraine Crisis
Visual Investigations
Opinion Video
Advertisement
SKIP ADVERTISEMENT
World
Bolivia’s president reshuffles cabinet amid anti-government protests
Bolivian President Rodrigo Paz has announced a cabinet reshuffle and other measures as protests demanding his resignation continue. Paz said the government wants to build a collaborative government with broader participation from social and economic groups.
Published On 21 May 2026
World
Athlos, Ohanian’s Women-Only Track Meet, to Expand to London
Athlos, the women’s track and field meet spearheaded by Reddit co-founder Alexis Ohanian, is expanding to London this fall, according to a source with direct knowledge of the situation.
Now entering its third year, Athlos is among a new vanguard of professional track and field events aimed at modernizing the sport for the streaming era and growing its audience in non-Olympic years. Athlos, held for the past two years at Icahn Stadium in New York City, is unique among them for featuring only women’s events.
Athlos earlier this week announced it will be returning to Icahn on Oct. 2 for one of two 2026 meets and teased that the competition is “going global.” Sportico has since learned that the international meet will take place on Sept. 18 at StoneX Stadium in North London.
Ohanian didn’t have an immediate comment.
Athlos debuted in 2024 on the heels of the Paris Olympics, staging races featuring gold medalist sprinters Gabby Thomas and Masai Russell; rapper Megan Thee Stallion hosted a post-event concert.
Ohanian in recent years has invested in various women’s sports, including NWSL’s Angel City FC, Chelsea FC Women and League One Volleyball Los Angeles. On Tuesday, he appeared on SportsCenter to share news of expanded prize money for the two-city Athlos meet this year, including a purse of $2.1 million and equity for participating athletes.
The forthcoming London meet will take place after two other high-profile pro track and field meets in Europe. World Athletics, the sport’s international governing body, is debuting a new competition from Sept. 11-13 in Budapest it is calling the “Ultimate Championship,” featuring reigning winners from the Olympics, World Championships and the Diamond League, the sport’s traditional circuit of professional meets. This year’s Diamond League series concludes Sept. 5 in Brussels.
Athlos and Grand Slam Track, another newcomer athletics series, debuted in the wake of the Paris Olympics with the goal of hosting more elite track and field meets in the U.S., which has had a paucity of high-level competition compared to Europe.
Grand Slam Track, founded by retired Olympic champion sprinter and television analyst Michael Johnson, has been hobbled by ongoing bankruptcy proceedings after losing funding during its kickoff season in 2025.
-
World9 minutes agoVideo: Hall of ‘Eternal Flame’ Burns Down in Japan
-
News15 minutes agoVideo: G.O.P. May Bear The Cost of Trump’s Unpopularity
-
Culture51 minutes agoVideo: The A.I. threat to audiobooks
-
Lifestyle57 minutes agoStephen Colbert takes his last bow in late night : Pop Culture Happy Hour
-
Technology1 hour agoIn SpaceX’s IPO, Elon Musk is a risk factor
-
Politics1 hour agoColorado Democrats formally censure Gov Polis over Tina Peters commutation
-
Health1 hour agoNew obesity treatment may help preserve muscle during weight loss
-
Sports2 hours agoLeBron James fuels Cleveland Cavaliers reunion speculation after appearing to like Instagram post about return