Connect with us

New Mexico

3 dead in New Mexico and first responders treated for exposure to unknown substance

Published

on

3 dead in New Mexico and first responders treated for exposure to unknown substance


MOUNTAINAIR, N.M. — Three people are dead and more than a dozen first responders were quarantined and being treated Wednesday for exposure to an unidentified substance after being called to a suspected drug overdose at a rural New Mexico home, authorities said.

New Mexico State Police said three of the four people who were found unresponsive inside the home east of Albuquerque died. The fourth was being treated at a hospital in Albuquerque.

During the response, authorities said, 18 first responders were exposed to the substance and began experiencing symptoms including nausea and dizziness. All of the first responders were transported to the University of New Mexico Hospital, where they were being monitored.

Two of the first responders were listed in serious condition, said Officer Wilson Silver with New Mexico State Police.

Albuquerque Fire Rescue Hazmat teams were assisting at the scene in Mountainair, a rural community east of Albuquerque, in efforts to identify the substance involved.

“At this time, investigators believe the substance may be transmitted through contact and do not believe it to be airborne,” Silver said.

Advertisement

While the investigation was ongoing, Mountainair Mayor Peter Nieto said in a social media post that all indications were pointing toward narcotics as a possible factor. He added that there was no threat to the public and that a perimeter had been set up around the home.

Residents, however, took to social media to voice their frustrations about drug use in the community and elsewhere.

The mayor said the town’s law enforcement officers and first responders work every day to protect the community and respond to difficult situations.

“But the reality is that addiction and substance abuse are issues affecting communities all across our state and nation,” Nieto said. “There is no simple or immediate solution. Lasting change requires family support, accountability, education, and most importantly, individuals who are willing to accept help.”



Source link

Advertisement

New Mexico

Doug Turner vows ‘business-friendly’ policy if elected governor of New Mexico | Alamogordo News

Published

on

Doug Turner vows ‘business-friendly’ policy if elected governor of New Mexico | Alamogordo News


Adrian HeddenEl Rito Mediaachedden@elritomedia.com Making New Mexico more “business friendly” was at the center for Doug Turner’s case for the state’s highest office. Turner, 57, is one of three candidates vying for the Republican Party’s nomination for governor in the June 2 Primary Election. A Taos resident, Turner owns Albuquerque-based public relations firm Agenda Global […]



Source link

Continue Reading

New Mexico

Andrew Yang’s Forward Party earns party status for New Mexico November ballot – New Mexico Political Report

Published

on

Andrew Yang’s Forward Party earns party status for New Mexico November ballot – New Mexico Political Report


New Mexico officially has a new political party just in time for election season. Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver’s office confirmed on May 15 that the New Mexico Forward Party, a state affiliate of the national party started by businessman and former presidential candidate Andrew Yang, achieved minor party status, qualifying the party to appear on November ballots, if its candidates gather enough signatures to qualify.

The party is already recruiting  for State House and county seats ahead of a June 25th deadline for minor party candidates to qualify, but five candidates have already announced their intentions to run under the new party banner. The initial slate includes Bob Perls, a UNM professor, for U.S. Senate, Michael Vigil for State Auditor, Karin Hendrickson for State House District 43, Dennis Dinge for Public Education Commission District 3, and Curtis Clough for Public Education Commission District 6. The Forward Party continues to recruit additional local and state candidates before the June 25 deadline for minor party declarations.

Andrew Yang speaks at an organizing meeting in Santa Fe to launch the new Forward Party in New Mexico. Apr. 2026 (courtesy)
Andrew Yang speaks at an organizing meeting in Santa Fe to launch the new Forward Party in New Mexico. Apr. 2026 (courtesy)

According to a press release from the organization, the newly formed political group submitted more than 5,500 signatures to qualify, surpassing the state requirement of 3,500 signatures. Their pitch to voters includes an invite for “For Independent (Decline to State; DTS) New Mexico voters. And Democratic New Mexico voters who want to get problems solved. And Republican New Mexico voters who no longer recognize their own party.”

Perls, who serves as the party’s senate candidate and state chairman, stated that the party gives voters a genuine alternative to the traditional two-party system, aiming to move the state “not left, not right, but Forward.” Interested voters can update their voter registration to the new party at their local county clerk’s office or find more details at nmforwardparty.org

Advertisement



Source link

Advertisement
Continue Reading

New Mexico

Are National Guard troops, emergency state funds effective in Rio Arriba County?

Published

on

Are National Guard troops, emergency state funds effective in Rio Arriba County?


More than nine months after Gov. Michelle Lujan Grisham intervened in what was deemed a “public safety emergency” in the Española Valley, millions of state dollars have been allocated to law enforcement agencies and increasing numbers of New Mexico National Guard members have been deployed to assist in policing. 

The governor, who has signed a dozen emergency orders authorizing $9 million for the region, pointed to what she called “a significant surge in violent crime, drug trafficking and public safety threats that have overwhelmed local resources” in Española and surrounding Rio Arriba County. The first order came after Lujan Grisham had deployed Guard members to Albuquerque.

The emergency state funding for the Española Valley is more than double the annual budget of the Española Police Department, which is about $4.2 million.

Advertisement






043026 gc espanola02 rgb.jpg

Advertisement

National Guard officers assist Española police officers while making as arrest in Española last month. 



Guard in ‘support role’

What the numbers say

Leadership, partnership



Source link

Continue Reading
Advertisement

Trending