Vermont
Voluntary mergers in Vermont’s new education reform – Valley News
MONTPELIER — After weeks of false starts and discarded plans, the House Education Committee passed an education reform proposal Thursday. But it’s a far cry from what was envisioned in last year’s landmark Act 73, and will almost certainly face political hurdles in the House, Senate and from Gov. Phil Scott’s administration.
The proposal, H.955, which passed with only Democratic support, would create study committees in seven areas of the state to facilitate voluntary mergers of the state’s 119 school districts. Rep. Peter Conlon, D-Cornwall, the House Education Committee chair, praised the committee’s work before calling the vote.
“For the field and school districts and Vermonters out there, we are respecting — I think, very much so — the different ways we deliver education in Vermont,” he said. “We are respecting local voice. We are respecting an aversion to forced mergers at the state level.”
The proposal marks a compromise after weeks of political gridlock among committee members over perennial issues like school choice and preserving local voice in rural communities.
Education reform has consumed much of the political oxygen in the Statehouse this year and last. Gov. Phil Scott, buoyed by Republican electoral gains in the November 2024 election, ushered in plans to consolidate Vermont’s 119 school districts and reform the state’s education finance system.
Leaders in both parties have endorsed plans for reform, citing the ever increasing cost of education and the need to expand access to educational opportunities.
But Thursday’s committee plan is out of step with the more ambitious ideas floated by Scott, his Agency of Education and even Conlon himself, which would have mandated school district mergers. Conlon’s initial plan in February would have forced the merger of the state’s 119 school districts into 27, each with student populations between 2,000 and 4,000.
Yet after several weeks of deadlock, the committee pivoted to a proposal with voluntary mergers. Conlon’s plan for forced mergers “didn’t get a lot of love” from colleagues or constituents, he said.
The Senate, meanwhile, continues to hammer away at the details of their own proposal, which doesn’t look likely to follow Scott’s vision for education reform either.
The House proposal has a long road ahead of it, and will likely change significantly as it proceeds through the House and Senate. Lawmakers in both chambers will scrutinize the plan’s emphasis on voluntary mergers, and question whether the plan could find the types of savings the governor has called for.
“For me, there are misses in this,” Rep. Joshua Dobrovitch, R-Williamstown, said Thursday. “I feel like we’re not actually providing the relief that our taxpayers want in a timely fashion.”
The bill will next be taken up by the House ways and means and appropriations committees.
To merge or not to merge
The House’s proposal borrows from the school redistricting task force, the body created last year to draw up school consolidation maps. That group’s recommendation last fall bucked calls for forced mergers and instead suggested new regional entities that would share services among member school districts.
The proposal advanced Thursday would overlay seven cooperative education service agencies, or CESAs, over the state’s 119 school districts and 52 governing units.
Those regional entities, already in use in southeastern Vermont, would then facilitate the sharing of services in special education, professional development, human resources and other areas for member school districts.
Grants from the Vermont Agency of Education would help stand up those agencies, and they would be managed by a board of directors appointed by member supervisory unions and supervisory districts.
Study committees would then be formed within each CESA, which would work towards a voluntary merger process for member districts. All member school districts would be required to participate in the committees.
The study committees’ work would run through 2027 and 2028. Residents in school districts queued up by the study committees for a merger would then vote on whether to merge.
The law does offer preliminary guidance for how study committees could consider merging districts.
One proposal in the legislation, for example, would have the Addison Central, Addison Northwest and Lincoln school districts merge with the Mount Abraham Unified School District.
Another would see the Franklin Northeast, Northern Mountain Valley and Missisquoi school districts merge into one.
But voters in a district in any proposed merger would have the final say under the legislation.
The legislation would also change the effective date of the foundation formula, moving it back from July 1 2028, to July 1, 2030.
Act 73 will shift spending decisions away from local districts and their communities and to the state via a foundation formula, which would then provide each school district with a set amount of money based on the number of students enrolled.
Policy v. politics
Scott and leaders in his Agency of Education have made it clear they do not support the House’s proposal.
Scott said Wednesday he was “appreciative” of lawmakers moving anything out at all, but the proposal was not something he could accept. He’s previously threatened to veto the state budget if lawmakers don’t follow through on his education reform demands.
“If we end up in the same position that we’ve ended up in years past with increasing property taxes that dysfunction won’t allow us to fix, the voters will decide what to do with that,” he said Wednesday.
Education Secretary Zoie Saunders last Friday told lawmakers in the House Education Committee that the direction of both the House and Senate’s proposals were “concerning.”
“Each of the proposals that are put forward are not fully benefiting from scale. And we know we need to move to scale,” she said. “And if we don’t, the smaller districts will be at an inherent disadvantage.”
In the end, Conlon said he was bound by the political realities in the Statehouse. He said barriers like support for school choice and local control were too difficult to clear.
“The world we are trying to maneuver and move around in is not just policy, it is also politics,” he said.
This story was republished with permission from VtDigger, which offers its reporting at no cost to local news organizations through its Community News Sharing Project. To learn more, visit vtdigger.org/community-news-sharing-project.
Vermont
Live score updates from Vermont Green men’s team home opener against Albany Rush
Vermont Green FC in USL League Two final: Maximilian Kissel winner
Maximilian Kissel played hero once more to lift Vermont Green FC to the USL League Two championship on Saturday, Aug. 2, 2025.
The defending USL League Two champions, Vermont Green men’s team (2-0) returns to Virtue Field for the first time in the 2026 USL season on Friday against the Albany Rush (0-2).
The Vermont Green men’s team will play in front of another sold-out crowd after captivating the entire state during last year’s playoff run.
The Green enter the home opener undefeated after earning road wins against Seacoast United and Boston Bolts. Connor Miller has been an impactful new player for the Green, recording a goal and an assist in Vermont’s 4-1 win over Boston Bolts. The Cornell midfielder is the lone player to record multiple points for Vermont through two games.
For live updates from the Vermont Green men’s team’s home opener, see below. The most recent in-game updates will be displayed at the top:
Series history between Vermont Green and Albany Rush
These clubs will be meeting for the eighth time. Vermont leads the series 7-0. The Green won the team’s only meeting in 2025, 7-0, behind former captain Zach Zengue’s hat trick.
How to watch Vermont Green’s home opener?
If fans cannot make it to Virtue Field to watch from behind the north goal, the match will be streamed here. Kickoff is slated for 7 p.m.
Contact Judith Altneu at JAltneu@usatodayco.com. Follow her on X, formerly known as Twitter: @Judith_Altneu.
Vermont
Vermont musician’s concert cawed, er, called off because of ravens
ESSEX — Vermont musician Troy Millette has postponed plenty of concerts because of illness, family obligations or bad weather.
Rain, sure. But ravens? Never, at least not until this week.
Millette’s May 30 show, which was set to open the outdoor season on The Old Stage at the Essex Experience, has been pushed back because ravens are nesting in the rafters. State and federal rules restrict what people can do to disturb the nests of birds. Instead of beginning the season at the outdoor stage, Millette will now close it Sept. 25.
“Ironically, my mother is afraid of birds,” Millette told the Burlington Free Press on May 20, the day he learned his concert would be postponed.
He said he’s not scared of birds but is wary. Especially now.
Differences between ravens and crows
Ravens have a brooding reputation, due in part to Edgar Allan Poe and his macabre “nevermore” musings.
“A hummingbird would have never canceled the show,” Millette said.
Like crows, ravens are deep black in color and caw or croak. But there are, literally, big differences.
“You probably know that ravens are larger, the size of a red-tailed hawk,” reads an Audubon magazine article. “Ravens often travel in pairs, while crows are seen in larger groups.”
Millette and his band, the Fire Below, were to perform a night of ’90s country covers. Last year, he had sprinkled a few “ironically amazing” covers of “country gold” from the likes of Tim McGraw and Kenny Chesney in sets of his original music. Venue runners liked what they heard and asked for more.
Ryan Clausen, the first drummer for the Fire Below, is music and events director of the Double E venue at the Essex Experience, a restaurant, shopping and entertainment complex owned by Peter Edelmann. Clausen sent a text last week asking Millette if he was afraid of birds.
Millette didn’t think a whole lot about it, but when Clausen reported that one young raven had still not left the nest, prospects for the show grew dimmer.
Country cover songs lose out to birds
Regulations restrict what can be done to remove bird nests.
“A person shall not take or willfully destroy the nests or eggs of wild birds, other than rock pigeons, house sparrows or European starlings, except when necessary to protect buildings and the nests to be removed contain no eggs or chicks and are no longer being used by birds for feeding,” one Vermont statute reads.
Ravens in particular are shielded by the federal Migratory Bird Treaty Act, said Joshua Morse, a spokesperson for the Vermont Fish and Wildlife Department.
“Under this law, it is illegal to kill or move protected species without a permit from the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service,” Morse told the Free Press by email.
Clausen noticed the nest well after last year’s summer concerts concluded at The Old Stage. “Once I saw that there were eggs in it,” he said, “there wasn’t much I could do.”
Clausen said state wildlife representatives told him the Essex Experience could either let the birds stay until they flew off — then wait a week to make sure they were gone — or pursue euthanizing the entire nest because of its impact on business.
“That made it a pretty easy call for us. We’re not going to do that,” Clausen said. “It would be so anti-everything that we stand for and what Peter stands for and Vermont stands for. If we can save the ravens, we’re going to do that.”
No one wanted to kill birds, Millette said, just so he and his band could cover “She Thinks My Tractor’s Sexy.”
Critters chewed through wiring
A May 21 visit to The Old Stage turned up a couple of ravens monitoring the action as well as twigs and several square feet of bird droppings atop the stage. Wires were dangling from the rafters of the barn-like structure.
“The ravens have chewed through a bunch of wiring,” Millette said. “There’s excrement everywhere.”
Ravens are territorial, he noted, so getting near the nest is risky.
He wonders if the big birds have it in for him, maybe because of his familial fear of feathered fauna.
“I feel like it’s a personal attack,” Millette said. “They wouldn’t have built a nest for a Ryan Sweezey show.”
If you go
Upcoming concerts on The Old Stage at the Essex Experience (at 7 p.m. unless noted otherwise) include:
- Friday, June 12, StevieMac: A Fleetwood Mac and Stevie Nicks Experience. $30.
- Saturday, June 20, an evening with Quadra. $20.
- 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 1, the Lara Cwass Band. Free.
- 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 8, The Grift. Free.
- Friday, July 10, Spafford. $25.
- 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 15, the All Night Boogie Band. Free.
- Friday, July 17, the Grippo Funk Band featuring Jennifer Hartswick. $20.
- 5 p.m. Wednesday, July 22, Soul Porpoise featuring Dave Grippo and Geoff Kim with The Project. Free.
- Saturday, July 25, The Samples with Arty LaVigne & Friends. $25.
- 6 p.m. Sunday, Aug. 2, Keller Williams’ Grateful Grass with Pappy Biondo of Cabinet. $35.
- Friday, Aug. 14, G. Love & Special Sauce with Dizzyisdead. $35-$135.
- Friday, Sept. 25, Troy Millette & the Fire Below play ‘90s country. $20.
- doubleevt.com
Contact Brent Hallenbeck at bhallenbeck@burlingtonfreepress.com.
Vermont
Second Vermont man this year dies in Mississippi prison – VTDigger
A second Vermont man this year has died in a Mississippi prison.
Shawn Sears, 56, of Whiting, was found unresponsive in his cell Wednesday morning before medical staff attempted to give him emergency treatment, according to a press release from the Vermont Department of Corrections.
“Mr. Sears was subsequently pronounced deceased,” the release said.
Sears’ death comes as he was in the process of suing the Corrections Department for allegedly denying him access to prison programs. Those programs include taking high school classes and participating in restorative justice processes, which are often focused on rehabilitating both victims and offenders.
Sears had been in prison since 2019 for crimes he committed in Vermont, the release said. He was one of 147 men that Vermont pays a private contractor to imprison at Tallahatchie County Correctional Facility in Mississippi.
The Missisppi prison is run by one of the largest for-profit prison companies in the country, CoreCivic, which Vermont contracts with to help mitigate overcrowding in Vermont’s in-state prisons. The facility holds more than 2,500 inmates — which is about six times the size of Vermont’s largest prison — and is more than a 1,300-mile drive from Burlington.
Sears filed a civil lawsuit against the Corrections Department in September 2025, alleging that he had improperly been denied programming while in prison, according to court records. Court records show that Sears disputed being subject to an internal department policy that allows the department to hold incarcerated people past their minimum sentences if the department deems them to be a danger to themselves or others.
In Sears’ initial court filing, which he wrote himself, Sears alleged the department violated state law and its own directives by determining he was subject to their risk containment policy. Sears wrote in the filing that his status as “risk contained” denied him access to programming in prison that could have lowered his chance of recidivism.
Haley Sommer, a spokesperson for the department, declined to comment on the legal case.
According to a Department of Corrections’ database, Sears had a minimum release date of April 27, 2021, and a maximum release date of Feb. 21, 2055. A minimum release date is the earliest a person is eligible for parole, and their maximum release date is the end of their sentence, according to the Vermont Parole Board.
Since Sears filed the lawsuit in court, the Vermont Prisoners’ Rights Office had represented his case. Court calendars show he was scheduled to appear in Orleans County Superior civil court in June. His court case appears to have been dismissed Thursday.
Sears is at least the fifth person to die in the custody of the Vermont Department of Corrections this year, according to the department’s press statements.
Nine people died in the custody of the department in 2025, Sommer previously told VTDigger. The department’s investigative unit will review Sears’ death, per department protocol, according to the release.
-
Lifestyle4 minutes agoLate night has enough political humor already, says host stepping into Colbert’s slot : NPR’s Newsmakers
-
Technology16 minutes agoGoogle’s AI search is so broken it can ‘disregard’ what you’re looking for
-
World22 minutes agoMojtaba Khamenei using ‘bin Laden template’ to survive, learned from Abbottabad: analyst
-
Politics28 minutes agoMilitary families demand DOJ distribute nearly $800M from French cement company found guilty of bribing ISIS
-
Health34 minutes agoLow-impact routine may help adults lower blood pressure at home
-
Sports40 minutes agoThunder erase 15-point deficit to take series lead over Spurs as Victor Wembanyama’s 26 points fall short
-
Technology46 minutes agoFox News AI Newsletter: AI girlfriend dumps Hollywood filmmaker
-
Business52 minutes agoWaymo suspends all freeway rides over safety