World
Louvre reopens partially after workers extend strike in aftermath of heist
Some areas of the world’s most visited museum were not accessible to the public on Wednesday due to the strike.
Published On 17 Dec 2025
The Louvre management has said the landmark Paris museum was partially reopened on Wednesday amid an ongoing strike by workers in the wake of purportedly difficult conditions after the stunning jewel heist in October.
“The museum is open, but some areas are not accessible due to the industrial action,” a spokeswoman said.
list of 3 itemsend of listRecommended Stories
The world’s most visited museum also confirmed the partial reopening in the morning on social media, saying some rooms are closed due to strike action.
Hundreds of tourists lined up outside the Louvre on Wednesday as its opening was delayed while unions voted on continuing a strike over working conditions.
The museum had closed its doors to thousands of disappointed visitors on Monday after workers went on strike and protested outside the entrance. The museum is routinely closed on Tuesdays.
“We don’t know yet if we’ll open. You have to come back later,” security guards told visitors hoping to enter the museum early in the morning.
Union representatives of the 2,200-strong workforce have said they had warned for years before the daylight robbery in October about staff shortages and disrepair inside the place where world-famous works like Leonardo da Vinci’s Mona Lisa are kept.
The vote by the employees on Monday to observe a strike, which was extended on Wednesday, came after the staff expressed their anger at the museum’s management and said conditions have deteriorated after the heist.
They have also found the measures proposed by Ministry of Culture officials, including cancelling planned cuts in 2026, to be insufficient to cancel the strike so far.
Louvre director Laurence des Cars has faced intense criticism since burglars made off with crown jewels worth 88 million euros ($103m). She is due to answer questions from the French Senate on Wednesday afternoon.
In what was seen as a sign of mounting pressure on Louvre leadership, the Culture Ministry announced emergency anti-intrusion measures last month and assigned Philippe Jost, who oversaw the Notre Dame restoration, to help reorganise the museum.
Nearly 9 million people visited the museum in 2023, or roughly 30,000 visitors per day.
World
Trump Considers Building a Military Base in Gaza as Peace Plans Clash With Reality
Israeli strikes on Gaza have killed about 600 people since a cease-fire began, according to health officials in the territory. Many displaced Palestinians are still living in tents. And there are some 60 million tons of war debris to be cleared.
World
Iran covertly repositions strike drones amid Russia drills in Strait of Hormuz, expert says
NEWYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
Iran repositioned strike drones and other military assets under the cover of joint drills with Russia in the Strait of Hormuz Thursday, a defense expert claimed.
In what he described as a “calculated escalation” amid rising tensions with the U.S., Cameron Chell said Iran’s latest move also followed reports of sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones with precision strike capabilities in the region.
“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell, of defense firm Draganfly, told Fox News Digital. “They’ve gone under the veil of doing the military exercises, which happened to be along the coastline, and this is an escalation.”
UK BLOCKS TRUMP FROM USING RAF AIR BASES FOR POTENTIAL IRAN ATTACK: REPORT
Defense expert Cameron Chell has called Iran’s military moves with Russia a “calculated escalation.” (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
The combined exercises, reported by The Associated Press, also came as President Donald Trump pressed Iran further to make a deal to give up its nuclear weapons ambitions following indirect talks in Geneva.
“We’re going to make a deal, or we’re going to get a deal one way or the other,” Trump told reporters aboard Air Force One on Thursday, signaling determination to secure an agreement.
MORNING GLORY: WHAT WILL PRESIDENT DONALD TRUMP DECIDE TO DO WITH IRAN?
Iran’s latest moves reportedly follow sightings of U.S. MQ-9 Reaper drones. (John Moore/Getty Images)
Meanwhile, on Feb. 18, U.S. Central Command posted photos showing F/A-18 Super Hornets landing on the decks of the USS Abraham Lincoln in the Arabian Sea.
Flight-tracking data in recent days also showed U.S. Navy MQ-4C Triton surveillance drones operating near Iran’s coastline.
One Triton was observed Feb. 14 and another on Feb. 18, conducting high-altitude maritime intelligence missions over the Gulf.
“The U.S. deployed an MQ Triton drone, which is a surveillance drone, so it does not have strike capability, and it typically flies at around 50,000 feet,” Chell said.
He added the drones would likely launch from land bases in countries such as Saudi Arabia or Qatar and provide real-time situational awareness to naval commanders.
TRUMP’S SPECIAL ENVOY WITKOFF AND KUSHNER VISIT US AIRCRAFT CARRIER AMID IRAN TENSIONS, TALKS
“The Russian drills would cover for the Iranian forces to move their drones into strike position,” Chell told Fox News Digital. (Iranian Army/Handout/Anadolu via Getty Images)
“These drones can guide the U.S. on Iranian forces performing exercises with the Russians and where they might be moving equipment to,” Chell said before describing how they fly them “at an altitude so that the Iranians can see it so they become a deterrent.”
Chell also said an MQ-9 Reaper drone was deployed, which he said can fly between 25,000 and 40,000 feet.
“This has strike capability, but Iranians do not have great capability to take these down,” he added.
As previously reported by Fox News Digital, the USS Gerald R. Ford, the second aircraft carrier Trump has sent to the Middle East, and its accompanying ships are heading across the Atlantic Ocean into the Mediterranean Sea.
CLICK HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE FOX NEWS APP
NATO country and U.S. ally Poland also warned its citizens Thursday to immediately flee Iran, with its prime minister saying the “possibility of a conflict is very real.”
World
French far right asks European Parliament to mark death of activist Quentin Deranque
Patriots for Europe is seeking a minute of silence int he European Parliament for Quentin Deranque, a French far-right activist who died after a brawl with left-wing activists in Lyon, during a session dedicated to the anniversary of Russia’s full-scale invasion of Ukraine.
-
Oklahoma2 days agoWildfires rage in Oklahoma as thousands urged to evacuate a small city
-
Health1 week agoJames Van Der Beek shared colorectal cancer warning sign months before his death
-
Science1 week agoA SoCal beetle that poses as an ant may have answered a key question about evolution
-
Movie Reviews1 week ago“Redux Redux”: A Mind-Blowing Multiverse Movie That Will Make You Believe in Cinema Again [Review]
-
Technology1 week agoHP ZBook Ultra G1a review: a business-class workstation that’s got game
-
Politics1 week agoCulver City, a crime haven? Bondi’s jab falls flat with locals
-
Politics1 week agoTim Walz demands federal government ‘pay for what they broke’ after Homan announces Minnesota drawdown
-
Fitness1 week ago‘I Keep Myself Very Fit’: Rod Stewart’s Age-Defying Exercise Routine at 81